• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
any one mind if i post my direct reactions?

super mario wonder looks like it could be great. but daisy's in it so it's ruined
a new game staring peach is very welcome
i'm gonna blow my money on those zelda amiibo
slightly disappointed in a new wario ware. went off em
smrpg remake is underwhelming
pokemon dlc looks great
nice to finally see detective pikachu 2
pikmin 1&2 hd is neat, still haven't played one
4 is looking great and i love the glow pikmin
that bathroom track in MK looks brilliant. what a shame chibi isn't a racer
star ocean looks curious, i'm new to it

i'll post more as i remember it

in how this can relate to the next smash well, peach will have new moves to pull from and with olimar now having an edgy doppelganger we have and almost certain echo. we know how sakurai loves them

osby

Smash Obsessed
A decent direct, and with some cool surprises. Super Mario RPG Remake, Luigi's Mansion 2, WarioWare, Star Ocean 2 R, Super Mario Bros. Wonder. And I was interested in that Kingdom of no Words game or whatever it was called. Although poor Diddy Kong. It was cool seeing Petey and Kamek, but Wiggler was certainly an oddball choice.

And once again, the Super Mario Bros. games bring in new kinks. Move over Cat Peach and Bowsette, Elephant Peach is the new Queen in Super Mario town.
Bold of you to assume that people also won't be thirsty for Elephant Mario.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Cooling off from the hype, that was a solid direct but i will admit outside Mario, Pikmin, Pokemon and usual 3rd Party, was a bit lacking in variety. The surprised didn't need to be another Mario.

R.I.P DK, Star Fox and Kid Icarus fans.

However personally:

Pikmin 4
Metal Gear Collection
The Indie title from the Sonic Mania devs: Penny

And ofc; Super Mario RPG. Yeah it was solid. Definitely smart as well to make it the holiday title this year as well.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Although poor Diddy Kong. It was cool seeing Petey and Kamek, but Wiggler was certainly an oddball choice.
Well, there were three drivers linked thematically by being Mario baddies.

There's one wave left... there could be another three linked thematically by being Kongs... Diddy, Dixie and Funky.

Apparently there's a new track for Tour in the data speculated to be DK-related (it's called 'mobDK'). Would tie things together well.

Ivander

Smash Legend
There's one wave left... there could be another three linked thematically by being Kongs... Diddy, Dixie and Funky.

Apparently there's a new track for Tour in the data speculated to be DK-related (it's called 'mobDK'). Would tie things together well.
Don't we only have 2 spots left? I thought there was only 6 new characters and we got Birdo and now Petey, Wiggler and Kamek.

And I'm absolutely expecting Pauline to be one of the new characters, and considering she originated in Donkey Kong, she can certainly fit with Diddy, Dixie and Funky in the "character from Donkey Kong" category. So I can expect Diddy and Pauline or Diddy, Dixie/Funky and Pauline. But even if there is no intentional theme to the characters, I'm still 99% expecting Pauline to happen.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
And ofc; Super Mario RPG. Yeah it was solid. Definitely smart as well to make it the holiday title this year as well.
SMRPG is one of the holiday titles, but I think Wonder is the main holiday title.

Also
R.I.P DK, Star Fox and Kid Icarus fans.
Were there Star Fox rumors going? I know there are for the other two.

Don't we only have 2 spots left? I thought there was only 6 new characters and we got Birdo and now Petey, Wiggler and Kamek.

And I'm absolutely expecting Pauline to be one of the new characters, and considering she originated in Donkey Kong, she can certainly fit with Diddy, Dixie and Funky in the "character from Donkey Kong" category. So I can expect Diddy and Pauline or Diddy, Dixie/Funky and Pauline. But even if there is no intentional theme to the characters, I'm still 99% expecting Pauline to happen.
Tbh I haven't played the game since before the Birdo update, so I forgot they added a specific number to the CSS.

In that case, yeah. Funky is a very popular MK character, but Pauline seems more the one Nintendo would care about adding.

At least Diddy seems likely either way.

Now watch it be Dixie.

cough Is this thing on? ting ting

Ahem Ahem....

He's In

View attachment 373642

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Awesome direct! Everything in it that could point to Smash and increase their fan's enthusiasm besides the Smash cup tournament which is cool I guess, so let's see...

Sonic, Joker and Snake to return and could be totally down for additional characters like Eggman.

Olimer returns with a new glow pikman mechanic; his assistant is an AT.

So many fans to rejoice! Geno and Mallow, King Boo, so many characters... Toad, Daisy may get a rework and be unique... Nothing is off the table for Mario now, this new game looking awesome, and Peach too! Getting her own game...

Dragon Quest Monster thing, hmm.

Everyone getting something this year even oldies like MGS Vol1 and Arkham... Or Just Dance haha yay good job Nintendo!

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Another thing of note is that Pyoro dropped this tweet (pre-Direct) in reference to Wonder

There was a problem fetching the tweet

The daisy and the elephant are now accounted for. The worm is likely another transformation.

The sparkle and the coin are thought to correspond to Rosalina and Wario.

And the purple... well...

Seems possible someone might be making their mainline Mario game debut.

Would be nice to put an end to that perennial argument. Not to mention the positive effect on his chances.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Another thing of note is that Pyoro dropped this tweet (pre-Direct) in reference to Wonder

There was a problem fetching the tweet

The daisy and the elephant are now accounted for. The worm is likely another transformation.

The sparkle and the coin are thought to correspond to Rosalina and Wario.

And the purple... well...

Seems possible someone might be making their mainline Mario game debut.

Would be nice to put an end to that perennial argument. Not to mention the positive effect on his chances.
The purple and coin next to each other could well be the purple coins you collect tbh

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Tbh I haven't played the game since before the Birdo update, so I forgot they added a specific number to the CSS.

In that case, yeah. Funky is a very popular MK character, but Pauline seems more the one Nintendo would care about adding.

At least Diddy seems likely either way.

Now watch it be Dixie
When there was a BCP leak with like 20 characters for the final 2 waves I argued they'd be easy enough to make for it to be feasible.

Most of these characters have Switch-quality models already, and they have driving animations from MKT. Not to mention, they don't need unique gameplay traits.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
When there was a BCP leak with like 20 characters for the final 2 waves I argued they'd be easy enough to make for it to be feasible.

Most of these characters have Switch-quality models already, and they have driving animations from MKT. Not to mention, they don't need unique gameplay traits.
Yeah it's possible there are more than two left, but my default assumption isn't that the CSS is trying to trick us.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
It could be. But would coins be significant enough to sandwich between characters and new transformations?
When they're tied to a gameplay mechanic and serve as a new Star Coin, probably.
It's a shame because Wario's been absent from platformers for ages now and Waluigi would just be neat to bring along.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
When they're tied to a gameplay mechanic and serve as a new Star Coin, probably.
It's a shame because Wario's been absent from platformers for ages now and Waluigi would just be neat to bring along.
I would argue that Star Coins aren't really on par with the other things, especially if things like the Wonder Flower/Seed don't make the cut, but I suppose we'll see how it and its potential mechanic all plays out.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Psyched about: Super Mario RPG, more Mario Kart, new 2D Mario.

The worm is likely another transformation.
The worm is probably the pipe in the trailer that crawls like a worm.

Yeah it's possible there are more than two left, but my default assumption isn't that the CSS is trying to trick us.
I think that there's only 2 more characters in the Booster Pass.

But I won't rule out the possibility of Booster Pass 2.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Frankly if that leak was real I'd assume we'd see more than 3 drivers in this wave.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
The worm is probably the pipe in the trailer that crawls like a worm.
That's possible, but more so because it seems that kind of pipe has a bigger role, if the cover is anything to go by, than from just what we saw in the trailer.

I think that there's only 2 more characters in the Booster Pass.

But I won't rule out the possibility of Booster Pass 2.
I don't think we'll get a Booster Pass 2, because that would likely bleed into the next system, and the probable outcome of a new Mario Kart in the launch window.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Definitely going to check out Super Mario Bros. Wonder and maybe even the Super Mario RPG remake.

Interesting that the Metal Gear collection is being released on the Switch, including the NES games. I noticed that characters (such as Cloud, Snake, and Joker) that were previously more known for their appearances on other consoles like PlayStation, are suddenly making a big presence here on Nintendo's current console after appearing in Smash.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Don't get me wrong, I want a new 3D Mario, and we are well overdue for one, but I just can't see the next system launching with one. It's just a gut feeling, there's nothing pointing towards or against it.
So... It seems your instinct was correct just took a different form? Indeed we're getting a megaton drop of Mario / Mario adjacent stuff First but now do you still feel the next console launch won't have a new 3d as a launch title?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Definitely going to check out Super Mario Bros. Wonder and maybe even the Super Mario RPG remake.

Interesting that the Metal Gear collection is being released on the Switch, including the NES games. I noticed that characters (such as Cloud, Snake, and Joker) that were previously more known for their appearances on other consoles like PlayStation, are suddenly making a big presence here on Nintendo's current console after appearing in Smash.
I mean, with the Switch's success, is it REALLY that surprising?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I'm surprised that we haven't gotten anything Tekken related on the Switch, whether it was stand-alone releases of games like Tekken 1-3 or a collection of some sort. (I haven't gotten the chance to play Tekken 3; I know there are some legal issues with Gon the dinosaur, but the game was re-released on the PS1 Classic, so they must have been able to sort those out to some extent)

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I mean, with the Switch's success, is it REALLY that surprising?
Depending on the company.

I guess with Persona, it's not that surprising with how close Atlus been working with Nintendo. You could kind of see it coming with Persona 5 Strikers. But Metal Gear? I honestly didn't see that coming. I was definitely not expecting a Metal Gear collection coming out. So yeah, I was kind of surprised by that.

I'm surprised that we haven't gotten anything Tekken related on the Switch, whether it was stand-alone releases of games like Tekken 1-3 or a collection of some sort. (I haven't gotten the chance to play Tekken 3; I know there are some legal issues with Gon the dinosaur, but the game was re-released on the PS1 Classic, so they must have been able to sort those out to some extent)
If they can't sort out the issue with Gon, then they might as just release Tekken Tag 1 in its place, which is basically an upgraded version of Tekken 3.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion

I think it's more about Switch being very successful and Square and Nintendo seemingly having fully mended their rift.

Snake is showing up about as often as usual (which is not that often), and Persona, granted, is showing up better than before. Though the same can be said about its presence on Xbox as well, so it's not specifically Nintendo-related.

I mean, Dante is showing up better than before, and he's only a costume. Crash has had good attendance, and he's nothing. The Switch is even getting support from Valve and Rockstar.

So... It seems your instinct was correct just took a different form? Indeed we're getting a megaton drop of Mario / Mario adjacent stuff First but now do you still feel the next console launch won't have a new 3d as a launch title?
Though 2D and 3D Marios are made by different teams, and this would be across different systems. And it's Mario, he gets releases every year, several times a year. None of these games were made by the Odyssey team, presumably.

At that point, I wouldn't know who to blame: Nintendo or Square Enix.
Nintendo chooses the characters

If Geno was all Nintendo wanted from Square, I could see them being a little standoffish, but I can't imagine it would be

Plus they're getting paid either way

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
My direct thoughts:
Man,the Geno fans are going to get even more obnoxious now, huh?

I thought the Batman games were already on switch but i guess now, that caught me off guard.

No Persona 3 lol

Daisy in a 2D Mario, Neuron activation

The Pikmin games getting ported just makes me think we arent getting Gamecube online, we already have a few Gamecube games playable on switch at thispoint, it would be kinda redundant to do so.

Yeah, it was. It was already released in Japan by the time he was announced for Ultimate.

Not really. Technically, they're skins.
According to Fortnite's lore that's actually meant to be chief and Kratos, even though gameplay wise their just skins ( i know this is a late reply but i havent been on the site in a bit)

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I've seen a lot of people, in this site and outside, focusing way too hard on how Geno fans would act in the next Smash speculation cycle lol

Just let them have this win, they were unnecessarily treated as a punching bag in the last speculation cycle.
I'm very happy for them, the game looks great and there's finally something new in Geno's resume that could actually affect things.

And I agree there are more worthwhile things to focus on.

But their actions last time very much contributed to the state we arrived at, so I don't agree with how that second sentence is framed.

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280
I hope that we get two Genoes (Geni?) in the next Smash. It would be funny

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
I hope that we get two Genoes (Geni?) in the next Smash. It would be funny
Yeah, and ideally, Super Mario RPG Geno should be first out of the two.

Top Bottom