• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
this coming from the user who tried to shut down every conversation about cuts cause you don't like it?
You are comparing not wanting a thread to discuss the same topic every three days to stopping valid criticism about the existing homophobia, racism, and misogyny in the Smash community. Apparently to you, it's the same thing as saying harassing minors for their character choice. This might be the biggest false equivalency you have ever posted. Please think more before you posted. I could go on and on about the unfortunate implications of the very obvious point I made. You chose instead of taking the very obvious and important lesson from my post instead for a minor dig at me. Instead of internalizing that minimizing the sexism, racism, homophobia, abuse, and other awful aspects of the community is bad, you chose to ignore that.

But if you want to stop any criticism of the Smash community despite the awful issues that are in it, be my guest. Personally, I would say shielding the worst aspects of the Smash community, be it its treatment of minors and women or its most toxic habits, is bad. But if you want to die on that hill, I can't stop you.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The only RPG's i can think of that do an isekai plot are several Digimon entries, the entire Pokemon Mystery dungeon series, Pokemon Legends (If you REALLY want to stretch it), SRW X and Kingdom hearts.

But that's just a small sample of the genre and by no means does it mean the majority do it.

No, it would be pretty much as bad. People had their expectations way too high after Cloud and the promise of the ballot winner on the horizons. Bayonetta, while popular, was not a dominant fan request. She was on the radar as a popular pick, but not head and shoulders one of the big ones. She would lead to a little grumbling regardless. Now, these people are also getting an Anime Waifu from gasp Fire Emblem? A game not even out in the West?

They would foam at the mouth regardless. Just because it isn't Corrin doesn't mean Smash fans would be happy at all with any promotional pick at all in the final two reveals.
The irony is if we got the actual ballot winner back then it would still be an anime swordfighter.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You are comparing not wanting a thread to discuss the same topic every three days to stopping valid criticism about the existing homophobia, racism, and misogyny in the Smash community. Apparently to you, it's the same thing as saying harassing minors for their character choice. This might be the biggest false equivalency you have ever posted. Please think more before you posted. I could go on and on about the unfortunate implications of the very obvious point I made. You chose instead of taking the very obvious and important lesson from my post instead for a minor dig at me. Instead of internalizing that minimizing the sexism, racism, homophobia, abuse, and other awful aspects of the community is bad, you chose to ignore that.

But if you want to stop any criticism of the Smash community despite the awful issues that are in it, be my guest. Personally, I would say shielding the worst aspects of the Smash community, be it its treatment of minors and women or its most toxic habits, is bad. But if you want to die on that hill, I can't stop you.
i'm sorry what? you were talking about corrin. where the **** did you get all that from? my word. I poke fun at for complaining about other fans complaining about corrin and all of a sudden I’m defending bigotry? That is out of line

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just remember; everything on here is plain text. Tone cannot be read if you don't designate anything. Rarely will a person figure out what you overall meant, anyway.

Easy answer is to add that beautiful /s during your post. It's easy, makes communication clear, and stops inflammatory content from easily appearing. (You can also do the same with jk to mean "just kidding" as well). Remember, communication starts with clarity from the first person. The people reading it are not at fault because they can't understand a post that isn't as clear as possible.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The only RPG's i can think of that do an isekai plot are several Digimon entries, the entire Pokemon Mystery dungeon series, Pokemon Legends (If you REALLY want to stretch it), SRW X and Kingdom hearts.

But that's just a small sample of the genre and by no means does it mean the majority do it.
Don’t forget Project X Zone

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just remember; everything on here is plain text. Tone cannot be read if you don't designate anything. Rarely will a person figure out what you overall meant, anyway.

Easy answer is to add that beautiful /s during your post. It's easy, makes communication clear, and stops inflammatory content from easily appearing. (You can also do the same with jk to mean "just kidding" as well). Remember, communication starts with clarity from the first person. The people reading it are not at fault because they can't understand a post that isn't as clear as possible.
im always forgetting that, but how did phantom get from corrin to bigotry, did i miss something?

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Seems things are getting a little touchy here so a perfect time to gears to more "important" issues:

Nintendo Eshop!

Have you guys made any final purchases because if you haven't, it's a perfect time to do before you miss out.

I'm doing a last buy rn.

I recommed doing the same

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
im always forgetting that, but how did phantom get from corrin to bigotry, did i miss something?
I honestly don't know.

That said, part of the thing is by praising someone else that got it, you basically made it sound like there was something wrong with us for not getting it. Specifically with the, funnily enough, sarcastic wording. "At least this guy gets it" is an inherently sarcastic sentence(or at least one that is more known to be one by others), so it comes off as ruder than you meant.

Can you understand why people are getting fed up with that in mind?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I honestly don't know.

That said, part of the thing is by praising someone else that got it, you basically made it sound like there was something wrong with us for not getting it. Specifically with the, funnily enough, sarcastic wording. "At least this guy gets it" is an inherently sarcastic sentence(or at least one that is more known to be one by others), so it comes off as ruder than you meant.

Can you understand why people are getting fed up with that in mind?
I think I get it. Sadly my communication problems make it hard to follow. Hence why I put that disclaimer in my sig

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Is it okay I still want Azura in Smash even though we have a million fe characters? (Please say yes so I can sleep at night.)
For the sake of your sleep.

Yes. :4pacman:

Although, Azura getting in wouldn't have changed overall reception. It wasn't that Corrin themself wasn't cool or didn't bring much new to the table. It was that Corrin was another Fire Emblem character mostly brought in to advertise an upcoming game. Azura would have had the same issue.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think I get it. Sadly my communication problems make it hard to follow. Hence why I put that disclaimer in my sig
For the record, signatures only appear in your first post of a topic. Some have them off. Unfortunately you don't have premium, so no custom titles. :/

Aligo

Smash Ace
For the sake of your sleep.

Yes. :4pacman:

Although, Azura getting in wouldn't have changed overall reception. It wasn't that Corrin themself wasn't cool or didn't bring much new to the table. It was that Corrin was another Fire Emblem character mostly brought in to advertise an upcoming game. Azura would have had the same issue.
I think it would have been a little better, but that isn't saying too much. Having a non-sword weapon and presumably greater water element usage, along the a more colourful base design would make Azura less hated than Corrin was (it would also give a niche in ultimate, which Corrin doesn't have).

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So does anybody have recommendations for the eshop or?
Check pricecharting, see what eshop games are super expensive now. Azran Legacy is 150 bucks for instance. DQ VIII is close to 100.

eshop exclusive wise? Get pokebank and poke transfer.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
For the record, signatures only appear in your first post of a topic. Some have them off. Unfortunately you don't have premium, so no custom titles. :/
if I had custom titles I would cycle through the most ridiculous things I could think

So does anybody have recommendations for the eshop or?
Boxboy and pullblox aka pushmo

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Part of the issue with Corrin was the specific context of their release. Smash was getting its first DLC and for the most part that was split into beloved third party icons (like Ryu and Cloud) or well liked Smash vets (Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy). Even Bayonetta was viewed by a lot as a surprising, but novel addition given the nature of her franchise.

Having the first ever Nintendo newcomer DLC to Smash be from a relatively new FE game was a scenario which (fairly or unfairly) had various people wondering why other first party characters (new or old) weren't given that shot. That Corrin may have simply been easier to implement and/or that the company simply didn't realize the popularity of character like K Rool until it was too late to practically get them in to Smash 4 were concepts lost in the haze of accusations about Fire Emblem bias and bitter remarks about shill picks.

In hindsight, its clear Nintendo was doing a delicate balancing act of getting relatively safe and prudent fighters for Smash 4 DLC while already starting work on Smash Ultimate, but at the time it came across to many as tone deaf, especially when the company was frequently seen as out of touch already in that time period.
Sakurai said that Corrin was chosen mainky because he thought he was interesting to add a characters from a very recent Nintendo games (at the time). Considering that FE fates released in june 2015 in Japan, if you look at other Nintendo games releasing around the same time there was not a lot of choice:
-Yoshi's wooly world released in july 2015, but obviously since Yoshi is already in the game Sakurai probably didn't want a side characters for dlc
-Animal crossing happy home designer released also in July 2015, but I don't think a spin-off really need promotion
-Both Rhythm heaven megamix and Splatoon released also around that time (June 2015 and May 2015 respectively). However, both would have need new stages and more music to come alongside the characters because they're from new universe, so I think this was a huge plus for Corrin
-Last big game was Xenoblade chronicles X, released in april 2015. To be fair I think Elma would have made sense for this spot, but at the end of the day Fire emblem was at the time way more popular than Xenoblade. Thus Corrin was chosen.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Losing VC is rough...

Replacing it with the subscription model stinks IMO, especially when all the games will presumably be gone whenever the Switch's online service ceases and there is no alternative to buy them a la carte.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Don’t forget Project X Zone
I'm not really sure that counts because the majority of the action takes place in the protagonist's home world.

Check pricecharting, see what eshop games are super expensive now. Azran Legacy is 150 bucks for instance. DQ VIII is close to 100.

eshop exclusive wise? Get pokebank and poke transfer.
When the **** did Azran legacy get so expensive??
I get why Dragon quest is because that one wasnt that big of a production run and got popular because of Smash.

3DS prices astound me, good thing i bought most of what i wantd back when they first came out. Except Planet robobot, never got around to that one.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm not really sure that counts because the majority of the action takes place in the protagonist's home world.

When the **** did Azran legacy get so expensive??
I get why Dragon quest is because that one wasnt that big of a production run and got popular because of Smash.

3DS prices astound me, good thing i bought most of what i wantd back when they first came out. Except Planet robobot, never got around to that one.
Wait i must have missed something cause dq8 was literally the all time best selling ps2 game in Japan...?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Wait i must have missed something cause dq8 was literally the all time best selling ps2 game in Japan...?
The Japanese version of the game is actually not that expensive, but because the 3ds is region lock, you'll need an American version of the game to play on your 3ds, and those versions got produced way less than the Asian version.

According to PriceCharting, the JP version is worth 46$US CIB, while the American version is worth 116$ for CIB.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
If Tharja's spirit is her cut-down dialogue portrait from Awakening cuz censorship, then why Robin's fighter spirit wasn't that instead of their Smash artwork?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Japanese version of the game is actually not that expensive, but because the 3ds is region lock, you'll need an American version of the game to play on your 3ds, and those versions got produced way less than the Asian version.

According to PriceCharting, the JP version is worth 46$US CIB, while the American version is worth 116$ for CIB.
When I lived in Knoxville there was a mall that sold copies of the 3DS game for $150 a pop.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
If Tharja's spirit is her cut-down dialogue portrait from Awakening cuz censorship, then why Robin's fighter spirit wasn't that instead of their Smash artwork?
Because that would make sense, and Mr. Sakurai, bless his heart, actively makes decisions that don't make sense 1/10th of the time.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Sakurai said that Corrin was chosen mainky because he thought he was interesting to add a characters from a very recent Nintendo games (at the time). Considering that FE fates released in june 2015 in Japan, if you look at other Nintendo games releasing around the same time there was not a lot of choice:
-Yoshi's wooly world released in july 2015, but obviously since Yoshi is already in the game Sakurai probably didn't want a side characters for dlc
-Animal crossing happy home designer released also in July 2015, but I don't think a spin-off really need promotion
-Both Rhythm heaven megamix and Splatoon released also around that time (June 2015 and May 2015 respectively). However, both would have need new stages and more music to come alongside the characters because they're from new universe, so I think this was a huge plus for Corrin
-Last big game was Xenoblade chronicles X, released in april 2015. To be fair I think Elma would have made sense for this spot, but at the end of the day Fire emblem was at the time way more popular than Xenoblade. Thus Corrin was chosen.
When you think about it that way, it does make the most logical sense

I still don't like that Corrin is in Smash but at least it makes sense

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm still kinda bumbed that Rhythm heaven was supposed to gt a character in Sm4sh but was cut at some point

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I'm still kinda bumbed that Rhythm heaven was supposed to gt a character in Sm4sh but was cut at some point
Assuming that was the case (it almost certainly was), yeah it stinks to have lost out on a new series that really has strong credentials to be in.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you missed out the part where the rest of the dev team kept telling him to do it cause it was the game they were all playing at the time

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
So speaking of deluxe... wouldn't that be betraying their official statement that there will be no more fighter for Ultimate? If deluxe, port or FP3 happen, what would be justification for changing decision?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
assuming next smash game is a deluxe edition or a port with everyone coming back which characters would you add if it follows the same number of newcomers as ultimate
-6 base newcomers
-5 new echoes
-13 DLC newcomers
6 base newcomers: Elma, Neku, Crash, KOS-MOS, Ahri OR Jinx, Arle Nadja
5 new echoes: Octoling (Inkling), Jin (Kazuya; Ken style), Violet (Joker), Tee (Arle), T-elos (KOS-MOS)
13 DLC newcomers: Noah and/or Mio, Aether/Lumine, Raiden (MGR), Reimu, Phoenix Wright… uhhh I actually haven’t thought that far ahead. I’ll come back to this later

Top Bottom