• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think the biggest hurdle Tom Nook or another Animal crossing character will have is if Sakurai (or whoever is the next director) will have an idea for a more original moveset. If not, the question is: is there really a reason to have a third character with a fairly similar moveset? But to be fair, considering how huge Animal crossing is I don't think it will stop Tom Nook.
As you already allude to, I don't think even any moveset stuff is gonna stop them from wanting to further AC's standing on the playable roster. And Nook is the faraway obvious choice for an additional rep who would easily look the part and not seem like a quota fill. AC having three same-ish movesets would be a completely different conversation than SF having that, but as others have already suggested, Nook could totally get by without copying anything from Villager and Isabelle.

--

This isn't directed at anybody in particular, but in the Smash community there is a lot of dismissal of potential along the lines of "just make them a clone so that they aren't in competition with whoever I want." Sure, in the unlikely scenario that they can't come up with anything original for Nook, he could still be added by building off Villager/Isabelle, so there's no concern about him missing out for some silly "has legs but somehow doesn't dance for Sakurai" reason. But I don't really view a cloning as the best-case scenario for the character in terms of his potential or for the fans in terms of keeping them excited about what the Animal Crossing series brings to the table.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
If Tom Nook has a money resource mechanic, one idea I just thought of is that he can pay some money to spawn a useful item, which appears in front of him and has a price tag on it. He can grab the item himself, which removes the price tag, or he can leave it on the stage, and, if someone else grabs it, they “buy“ it, and Nook receives considerably more money than what he spent to spawn the item. Being able to sell things to the opponent would result in a pretty interesting type of risk/reward for both players, wouldn’t it? (If you’re in a team match, your teammate buying the item doesn’t award Nook with any money.)

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
assuming next smash game is a deluxe edition or a port with everyone coming back which characters would you add if it follows the same number of newcomers as ultimate
-6 base newcomers
-5 new echoes
-13 DLC newcomers
Allow me to answer this in the form of an image.

Base newcomers:
-Toadette
-Mio
-Conductor
-Impa
-Bomberman (only AT to be promoted. Pretty Bomber takes his original role as Assist)
-Dr. Eggman

Echo fighters:
-Funky Kong (Donkey Kong)
-Octoling (Inkling)
-Rock Howard (Terry Bogard)
-Proto Man (Mega Man)
-Jeanne (Bayonetta)

Preorder bonus:
-Diskun

Fighter's Pass 1:
-Chosen Undead
-Arle Nadja
-Doomguy
-Ryu Hayabusa
-Iron Valiant

Fighter's Pass 2:
-Officer Howard
-Tako
-Dante
-Crono
-Sol Badguy
-Team Fortress

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Allow me to answer this in the form of an image.

Base newcomers:
-Toadette
-Noah
-Conductor
-Impa
-Bomberman (only AT to be promoted. Pretty Bomber takes his original role as Assist)
-Dr. Eggman

Echo fighters:
-Funky Kong (Donkey Kong)
-Octoling (Inkling)
-Rock Howard (Terry Bogard)
-Proto Man (Mega Man)
-Jeanne (Bayonetta)

Preorder bonus:
-Diskun

Fighter's Pass 1:
-Chosen Undead
-Arle Nadja
-Doomguy
-Ryu Hayabusa
-Iron Valiant

Fighter's Pass 2:
-Officer Howard
-Tako
-Dante
-Crono
-Sol Badguy
-Team Fortress
Is that the Parodius octopus!
What a based dude.

Aligo

Smash Ace
If you are going with an Xeno 3 Rep, might I recommend Mio or a fusion form instead? Noah doesn't really have much to stand out with and has a lot of overlap with Shulk. Might work well as Lucina style echo actually, trading monado boosts for a better base form.

Also with toadette would she be based of of her iteration in treasure tracker or be a more general representation?

Doomguy will finally give samus a true rival in the rocket spam department.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If you are going with an Xeno 3 Rep, might I recommend Mio or a fusion form instead? Noah doesn't really have much to stand out with and has a lot of overlap with Shulk. Might work well as Lucina style echo actually, trading monado boosts for a better base form.

Also with toadette would she be based of of her iteration in treasure tracker or be a more general representation?

despite the fact he doesn't have access to shulk's signature mechanic?

Laniv

Smash Champion
Ah, yes, people discussing Tom Nook. All part of my master plan to get him into Smash 6. :4pacman:

But yes, making him the Wolf to Villager and Isabelle's Fox and Falco feels like the right way to go, giving him at least Pocket and Balloon Trip and everything else fairly different. If you wanna build even more from that, give him a Bell mechanic where he attacks others to gain more money, and can then spend those Bells or stronger attacks (maybe spending Bells to charge Smash attacks even further?)

If Tom Nook has a money resource mechanic, one idea I just thought of is that he can pay some money to spawn a useful item, which appears in front of him and has a price tag on it. He can grab the item himself, which removes the price tag, or he can leave it on the stage, and, if someone else grabs it, they “buy“ it, and Nook receives considerably more money than what he spent to spawn the item. Being able to sell things to the opponent would result in a pretty interesting type of risk/reward for both players, wouldn’t it? (If you’re in a team match, your teammate buying the item doesn’t award Nook with any money.)
Like that! That's cool!

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Okay, assuming no one gets cut for the sake of a hypothetical...

What are some Final Smashes that you think need to be changed next game?
There are quite a few nitpicks I have with the choices made regarding Final Smashes in Ultimate but the removal of Transformation Final Smashes was an unfortunate mistake. I get why they did it but Final Smashes will always be more of a casual/ single player based thing than something you can adapt to competitive play and the meta. Being able to control the likes of Giga Bowser/Mac, Super Sonic and Wario man and that feelling of invincibility while still having to put in some effort was always part of the fun and it all becomes lamer when you turn them all into "press button watch cutscene" with minimal amount of player input at most.

assuming next smash game is a deluxe edition or a port with everyone coming back which characters would you add if it follows the same number of newcomers as ultimate
-6 base newcomers
-5 new echoes
-13 DLC newcomers
Base:
-Ring Fit Trainee
-Waluigi
-Bandana Waddle Dee
-Leon
-Officier Howard
-Travis

Echoes:
-Octolings
-Dixie Kong
-Metal Sonic
-Jeanne
-Pikmin 4 captain(s)

DLC
-Rayman
-2B
-Hayabusa
-Magolor
-Dr Eggman
-Layton
-Doomslayer
-RH rep
-Andy
-Souls series rep
-Undertale/Deltarune rep

I hear Gen 9 Pokemon, Raven Beak, Xenoblade 3 and new FE character being tossed around but I have no experience with any of those games so I won't comment on them

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace

Thank you for the suggestion since I know jack about Xeno 3's characters, just revised the image.
Also since I've seen it brought up a couple of times, not sure about having the Pikmin 4 captain as a seperate Echo, I think at this point you might as well do a Hero and have Olimar, Louie, Alph, and the MC of 4 all be alts of each other.

Aligo

Smash Ace
despite the fact he doesn't have access to shulk's signature mechanic?
He may not have monado arts, but the lucky seven is a very similar in function, being a red sword with an extendable energy beam. There isn't really any standout mechanic for him to fall back on either (I think, it has been a long while since I finished the game please correct me if I am wrong. Hence a non monado art echo/semiclone for people who like the style of the moveset but struggle to use the arts effectively, which I imagine is quite a few people.

I suggested Mio because she has a different fighting style thanks to her twin rings, and the oroborous fusion (hope I spelled it right, has been a while since I played) because it represents the game's unique mechanic and has no visual or playstyle overlap with existing xenoblade characters (also would represent both leads and be a heavy. Can't go wrong with heavies).

Edit:

Also those tom Nook item mechanics are absolutely awesome. Really good stuff.

Last edited:

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
He may not have monado arts, but the lucky seven is a very similar in function, being a red sword with an extendable energy beam. There isn't really any standout mechanic for him to fall back on either (I think, it has been a long while since I finished the game please correct me if I am wrong. Hence a non monado art echo/semiclone for people who like the style of the moveset but struggle to use the arts effectively, which I imagine is quite a few people.

I suggested Mio because she has a different fighting style thanks to her twin rings, and the oroborous fusion (hope I spelled it right, has been a while since I played) because it represents the game's unique mechanic and has no visual or playstyle overlap with existing xenoblade characters (also would represent both leads and be a heavy. Can't go wrong with heavies).
I hate to "erm actually" and I know you said its been a while but technically Lucky seven isn't the red part of the blade it's the metal part that he fully unlocks near the end of the game. the red part is just called Veiled sword. And I think switching between the two can be his standout mechanic.

But there is also the fact that Noah doesn't get Visions or Backslash so he would have to be a bit more different than Shulk besides just not having Monado arts. I also agree that an Ouroboros would be cool though, but I doubt it would happen.

Aligo

Smash Ace
I hate to "erm actually" and I know you said its been a while but technically Lucky seven isn't the red part of the blade it's the metal part that he fully unlocks near the end of the game. the red part is just called Veiled sword. And I think switching between the two can be his standout mechanic.

But there is also the fact that Noah doesn't get Visions or Backslash so he would have to be a bit more different than Shulk besides just not having Monado arts. I also agree that an Ouroboros would be cool though, but I doubt it would happen.
Ah, thanks I forgot. Still think that a more standout character should be chosen for a unique, Noah is a bit bland design wise.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Unless Alear or Noah become huge fan faves like Cloud for FF, I could see the next Xenoblade or FE games having their reps take their spot
Late but I don't think timing will affect Noah, Xenoblade 3 got a GOTY nomination and was very successful and I also don't see another Xenoblade game coming that'll take it's place in the near future since MonolithSoft is working on other projects, he feels like a safe bet to me

Alear tho lmao

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Mario Finale sucks like come on im sure we can all collectively give mario something kickass
A mash-up of Do the Mario and Walk the Dinosaur starts playing and Mario summons the ghosts of Lou Albano and Bob Hoskins to attack like that Cuphead spirit attack. :4pacman:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I don't know what you guys are talking about Noah is easily the most flashy and cool looking character in XC3

... well, second to N but y'know.
Xenoblade 3 Chapter 7 Spoilers

If we are including heroes then I am more partial to Cammuravi but outside of heroes then yeah it is Noah

Last edited:

Aligo

Smash Ace
he's a jrpg protag it comes with the territory
Poor dude was given the exact same face as every isekai protagonist in the last ten years.

I am still wondering if metroid prime 4 will deliver a villain sufficient to compete for a potential new series slot for metroid (Also another non-lava stage would be nice, though it isn't as bad as DK, which still only has jungle stages)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It already is.
Not surprised that’s your response in particular.

I love the idea of a Rainbow Star or the T-Rex capture.
Would’ve made sense. Make Mario throw Cappy as a long-range straight-line horizontal projectile followed by a cutscene where Mario possesses a T-Rex and KOs you if you’re past 100% or smth like that.

Aligo

Smash Ace
Not surprised that’s your response in particular.

Would’ve made sense. Make Mario throw Cappy as a long-range straight-line horizontal projectile followed by a cutscene where Mario possesses a T-Rex and KOs you if you’re past 100% or smth like that.
Nice idea. Maybe it could be like Petey piranha where the T-Rex appears on stage and attacks independently of Mario (who would be hatless for the duration).

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Nice idea. Maybe it could be like Petey piranha where the T-Rex appears on stage and attacks independently of Mario (who would be hatless for the duration).
This would be a pretty bad idea imo, because that's totally not how it works in Mario odyssey. If you want a non-cutscene FS you might as well control the T-Rex like in Mario odyssey.

Luke Starkiller

Smash Cadet
Here's mine just for fun.

Edit: Added two more Nintendo characters in the DLC section just to even it out.

Base Roster:
Ring Fit Trainee
Octoling
Gen 9 Pokemon Rep
Bandana Waddle Dee
Chris Redfield
Tails

Echo Fighters:
Dixie Kong
Pikmin 4 Rep
Shadow
Miss PacMan

Downloadable Content Characters:
Detective (Astral Chain)
ChibiRobo
MegaMan X
Rayman
Isaac Clarke
AiAi
Kloana
Sans
Chell

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I don't think he wants change for the sake of change, but to change something because it feels old-fashioned. These are two different things.
Not if you don't know what to change it to and, if you do, if that change matches up to what it previously was. Otherwise, they shouldn't bother. It being "outdated" or "old-fashioned" is irrelevant if it fits the character the best.

For me, Mario's fire ability has always been one of his most iconic and memorable powers and it's been like a staple throughout his entire series. So I'd rather stick with that but maybe change the way it attacks a little bit. Like I mentioned before, maybe shoot giant fireballs that bounce off the ground like the Ultra Flames in Super Mario RPG. (Hey, they might as well since Square-Enix is actually involved now)

Last edited:
Top Bottom