• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Crystalis isn't really a big deal amongst all the SNK IP out there, is it? Like, Fatal Fury, KOF, Art of Fighting and SamSho are the big huge fighting game properties, and Metal Slug, Psycho Soldier/Athena, Ikari Warriors and ASO/Alpha Mission are all classic non-fighting IP that are treated with reverence by the company still. Maybe Crystalis actually does have some hidden huge amount of popularity/relevance/importance/reverence/whathaveyou that I'm not aware of, but from what I've seen it's mostly popular with NES boomers and the like. Feels weird to be singling that out as the big SNK omission
It was part of the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection and it's on the Nintendo Switch Online. So I guess SNK hasn't completely forgot about it and with the number of content that came with Terry, adding at least one track from that game wouldn't have seemed like a problem.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So I know there's a debate about how long Fortnite will last (or at least, if it'll last until next Smash), but with stuff like this, I don't think it'll go away anytime soon...

When did this happen? I stop playing for two days and something comes up lol

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
When did this happen? I stop playing for two days and something comes up lol
It was announced today as part of Creative 2.0 (I think that's what it was called). I think this is part of their goal to make Fortnite into something of an "experience", rather than a traditional game.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
It was part of the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection and it's on the Nintendo Switch Online. So I guess SNK hasn't completely forgot about it and with the number of content that game with Terry, adding at least one track from that game wouldn't have seemed like a problem.
I usually hate to use or see this expression, but Crystallis is literally bottom of the barrel of SNK franchise. I don't get why you're acting that surprised that it have no representation. If anything King of the monsters, The last blade, World heroes and Twinkle star sprites had more chances to have representation, but even those would be really pushing it.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I usually hate to use or see this expression, but Crystallis is literally bottom of the barrel of SNK franchise. I don't get why you're acting that surprised that it have no representation. If anything King of the monsters, The last blade, World heroes and Twinkle star sprites had more chances to have representation, but even those would be really pushing it.
Yeah Crystalis is hardly the most notable SNK series to have missed the cut. Claiming it to be this crazy omission feels very short-sighted - like, I don't think it's anywhere near most actual SNK fans' favorite output from the company. It matters most to an audience that is completely different from the crowd that would care the most about Terry's inclusion

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that Alpha Mission also got a music track over those series, so it's not out of the possibility. Then there's also Crystallis connection to Psycho Soldier, which also has some representation.

Like I said, the game has been re-released twice in these recent years (one of them being in a collection), showing that SNK does care about this game more than you seem to think.

Yeah Crystalis is hardly the most notable SNK series to have missed the cut. Claiming it to be this crazy omission feels very short-sighted - like, I don't think it's anywhere near most actual SNK fans' favorite output from the company. It matters most to an audience that is completely different from the crowd that would care the most about Terry's inclusion
I don't know why you think it matters which audience like it the most. So what if NES players like it more? Doesn't change the fact that it's a classic SNK game because in the end, that's the company that made it. I just think it would have been more fitting to showcase a game that SNK and Nintendo kind of both had a hand in in some ways.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The thing with SNK is that Terry may have been their one (and perhaps only) big shot at representation in Smash and let the music go all out as a result. If there's another character than maybe Crystallis pops up, but given how deep the SNK library goes, it likely wasn't prioritized. On some level I kind of wish other third parties had the kind of company wide pulls that Terry ended up having. Even putting aside the problems of Square Enix music, there's so many great Rare, Sega, Capcom, & Konami tracks outside the main IP's featured that would have been damn good.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The thing with SNK is that Terry may have been their one (and perhaps only) big shot at representation in Smash and let the music go all out as a result. If there's another character than maybe Crystallis pops up, but given how deep the SNK library goes, it likely wasn't prioritized. On some level I kind of wish other third parties had the kind of company wide pulls that Terry ended up having. Even putting aside the problems of Square Enix music, there's so many great Rare, Sega, Capcom, & Konami tracks outside the main IP's featured that would have been damn good.
Like I keep saying, those songs could've been represented without fighters in base Ultimate, along with Spirits.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Warioware inc is probably in France
I know I'm REALLY late to the party here, but I always assumed (especially after Gold and Get It Together) that Diamond City was located in an U.S.A.-like facsimile. Specifically, California (or one of the U.S.'s "tropical" states, at the very least).

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Say, what are some potential Atari reps?
The Centipede itself from Centipede as a fighter.

I picture its design/appearance in Smash being a mix of these taking inspirations:
centi.png
centipede99-1651888184785.jpg
b0ca9c5b31b50eb32b6231fe768789ea.jpg

centipede.png

(One's from a book cover, the Atari game, the 1889 game, and Pixels from 2015)
Playing as a multi-legged creature would be so much fun!

Edit: If I had to go with one, I would choose either box art or movie)

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I have so many fond memories of games from the Atari 2600 and Colecovision...

Pitfall Harry still seems like the obvious choice to me but it's Activision of course. But Atari has some great titles too, like Yars' Revenge!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The Centipede itself from Centipede as a fighter.

I picture its design/appearance in Smash being a mix of these taking inspirations:
View attachment 369735View attachment 369736View attachment 369737
View attachment 369738
(One's from a book cover, the Atari game, the 1889 game, and Pixels from 2015)
Playing as a multi-legged creature would be so much fun!

Edit: If I had to go with one, I would choose either box art or movie)
that'd certainly be a distinct character

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Shall I once again complain that Sonic only has one playable character in Smash?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I had made this post not too long ago:

I hope someday if somebody make some videos about Spirit battles in Ultimate, they not only explain them but also show the game that inspired it too. That might take a lot of work but there's a lot of Youtube videos to put together to show it.
And I didn't know that somebody was actually doing this already:

Three videos so far! This is exactly the way I wanted it! I'm so happy somebody is doing this!

Shall I once again complain that Sonic only has one playable character in Smash?
If it makes you feel any better, just know that he's not the only one. :laugh:

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You're right: we need Classic Sonic in Smash!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I was going to pump Space Invaders as an Atari rep, but they are owned by Taito who is now owned by Square. The more you know.

That being said, out of the ones suggested I would go with Centipede with an Asteroids based stage. Something like that sounds like a super cool homage to an era before even Nintendo. It also would be sick to have a fighter as weird as Centipede.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay, assuming no one gets cut for the sake of a hypothetical...

What are some Final Smashes that you think need to be changed next game?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well I’d like to see Mario’s replaced with giga cat Mario. bowser while the mechanic need not change I would like to see giga bowser replaced with fury bowser. peach’s one could do with more omph but I’m not sure what you could replace it with bar something from super princess peach and I’m not sure about going for something that old. Link and shiek could swap theirs back. Byleths could be altered so sothis is more like she is in her own game.

I may think of more

oh yeah give pikachu 10,000,000 volt thunderbolt

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion

King K. Rool should have two final smashes: Blast-O-Matic when he's winning, and Kredits when he's losing.

Daisy and Richter, at least, should have theirs changed to Daisy's Mega Strike from Strikers Charged and HYDRO STORM, respectively.

For more minor changes, Inkling's Final Smash now immediately refills her ink tank, and Link's Final Smash instantly KO's anyone over 100%.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace

Think it's time for Mario to get a better final smash, and by better I mean literally anything that resembles something from a Mario game. (I know Mario Finale ''resembles'' a move from RPG but that's really stretching it)

Obvious pick here is the starman, of course.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Kirby's final smash having him using the big rig from Forgotten Land.

I JUST REALLY want more modern representation, give me a single stage.

Also Young and Toon Links having their own.
(Toon with the Ballad of Gales and Young using Deity Mask)

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Change Young Link’s to Fierce Deity Link. Honestly I still am mad they didn’t go with one of the biggest lay ups for a final smash out there.

Top Bottom