• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I'm still wondering why the next Smash needs to choose between being a port or a ground-up new game.

Is there any evidence that using Ultimate's assets and making many additions plus a few alterations to the existing assets would be a middle ground that pleases no one?
Well, for one thing it may very well be that porting and/or only making minimal alterations to Ultimate's assets is not even viable with the new hardware. Then there is also the issue that I brought up before: if they really believe that the core of Ultimate is good enough to simply resell to general audiences, then it is to their advantage to make just enough alterations and additions to please the hardcore fans; doing any more than that defeats the purpose of abusing the ability to induce all those repurchases. Making a ground-up game with more major shakeups to the gameplay, singleplayer options, and/or roster construction puts less pressure on the raw size of the content pool since those aforementioned changes are already significant USPs that you can market to the public. A "middle ground" approach would likely be maintaining the heavy pressure on the content pool to be everything in the last game plus more, while also attempting to spend rigorous development time on new USPs which are literally there to ease that pressure.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I was starting to think

Do you guys think the next system might be able to handle something like Noah and Mio at the same time? Assuming the system specification leaks are true and it runs on 9th generation hardware that is.
It's a wait and see approach. I remember the problem with Rex and Pyra were the designs themselves, something about the number of polygons more than a mechanical issue. And considering that the Switch was a outdated hardware 6 years ago, that checks out. I haven't read any of the leaked specs yet so I have no say here. But if it's being compared to even the Series S, I don't think it should be problem... if Smash 6 is looking fairly comparable to Ultimate. If Smash 6 is getting some major graphical evolution, that might put us back at the same issue with Pyra.

TLDR: Maybe.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a fun game to try. Let's focus on the echoes we currently have. Of them, Ken, Lucina and Chrom are usually cited to be good echoes because their changes impact gameplay significantly.

Dark Pit, Daisy, Richter and Dark Samus are usually found to be too similar. Let's change them up. However...

These are echoes. They are meant to be last minute characters to pad out the roster, so for the sake of the game, you can only make three changes to their current state. You can change an attribute or a move, but you're only allowed to make three changes. If an attribute changes more than one move, that's allowed, but keep them from getting too wild.

And yeah, Darth, you can't just give them all unique movesets. (Watch him do it anyways.) That ignores the whole point of last minute characters. Limit it to three changes, either redesigning a move or giving them an easy to program attribute.

Here's my changes.

Dark Pit
  • Dark Pit's shield can't be held out as long, but makes a small damaging pulse similar to Palutena's old reflect in Smash 4.
  • Dark Pit's up tilt is now a kill move.
  • Dark Pit's down tilt now hits twice but loses its combo opportunities.
Daisy
  • Give her back the different turnips she used to have.
  • Her Foward Smash now includes a possible baseball bat to replace the frying pan. It has unique damage, knockback and trajectory.
  • Her Toad now always attacks, but does a smaller amount of set damage.
Richter
  • Richter doesn't use the chain upgrade with the spiked ball at the end. He uses Vampire Killer's more traditional leather whip. This means he has no sweet spot for his whip moves like Simon does.
  • Richter's holy water now does three small hits that end with a big hit that sends opponents flying. It's less useful for trapping and securing kills.
  • Richter's uppercut goes much higher but only does one hit that's strong at the beginning.
Dark Samus
  • Dark Samus has a unique mechanic where moves that use Phazon (Charge Beam, Down Tilt, Forward Air, etc) do poison damage to the opponent for three seconds. These moves do less base damage to compensate.
  • Dark Samus missiles can't become super, but they are much better at homing in on opponents.
  • Dark Samus's Morph Ball Bomb is now a multihit move when it explodes. It does roughly the same damage.
Well, those are my ideas. What would you do?

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here's a fun game to try. Let's focus on the echoes we currently have. Of them, Ken, Lucina and Chrom are usually cited to be good echoes because their changes impact gameplay significantly.

Dark Pit, Daisy, Richter and Dark Samus are usually found too be similar. Let's change them up. However...

These are echoes. They are meant to be last minute characters to pad out the roster, so for the sake of the game, you can only make three changes to their current state. You can change an attribute or a move, but you're only allowed to make three changes. If an attribute changes more than one move, that's allowed, but keep them from getting too wild.

And yeah, Darth, you can't just give them all unique movesets. (Watch him do it anyways.) That ignores the whole point of last minute characters. Limit it to three changes, either redesigning a move or giving them an easy to program attribute.

Here's my changes.

Dark Pit
  • Dark Pit's shield can't be held out as long, but makes a small damaging pulse similar to Palutena's old reflect in Smash 4.
Daisy
  • Her Foward Smash now includes a possible baseball bat to replace the frying pan. It has unique damage, knockback and trajectory.
Richter
  • Richter doesn't use the chain upgrade with the spiked ball at the end. He uses Vampire Killer's more traditional leather whip. This means he has no sweet spot for his whip moves like Simon does.
  • Richter's holy water now does three small hits that end with a big hit that sends opponents flying. It's less useful for trapping and securing kills.
  • Richter's uppercut goes much higher but only does one hit that's strong at the bringing.
Dark Samus
  • Dark Samus has a unique mechanic where moves that use Phazon (Charge Beam, Down Tilt, Forward Air, etc) do poison damage to the opponent for three seconds. These moves do less base damage to compensate.
  • Dark Samus missiles can't become super, but they are much better at homing in on opponents.
  • Dark Samus's Morph Ball Bomb is now a multihit move when it explodes. It does roughly the same damage.
  • Dark Samus
    • Forward Smash: Dark Samus fires a volley of bullets from her Arm Cannon
    • Down Smash: Dark Samus generates Phazon tentacles to erupt from the ground around her
    • Final Smash: Metroid Prime
      • Dark Samus transforms into her true self, Metroid Prime, and uses the attacks that it did in its boss fight
  • Daisy
    • Side B: Daisy Bomber puts a flower on the opponent’s head when it makes contact
    • Down B: Sports Ball
      • Soccer Ball
      • Beastball
      • Basketball (bounces up and down)
      • Beach Ball (floats through the air)
      • Volleyball (has a fixed trajectory when thrown and ricochets off surfaces, similar to the Superball from Super Mario Land)
      • Tennis Ball (goes straight forward and can even break shields)
    • Final Smash: Daisy Blossom puts flowers on the opponents’ heads instead of generating healing items
  • Chrom
    • Side B: Sol / Luna
      • Chrom dashes forward with a sword strike. If B is charged, he instead launches the opponent upward upon contact and heals a small amount of health when B is let go right when Falchion flashes.
    • Down B: Iai Counter
      • Chrom knocks the opponent behind himself if the counter is successful.
  • Dark Pit
    • B: Staff
      • Deals more damage from further away, but Dark Pit suffers endlag
    • Final Smash: Lightning Chariot (normal Pit regains the Three Sacred Treasures)
  • Richter
    • Down B: Holy Water now works how it did in Rondo of Blood, being a green flame that travels across the floor
    • Final Smash: Hydrostorm
      • Richter summons a storm that reduces opponents' gravity and rains lightning in different spots
Honestly repurposing some of the custom moves of Peach, Samus, & Pit/Dark Pit for Daisy, Dark Samus, & Dark Pit in Ultimate wouldn't have been the worst idea.
And maybe even Lucina's, too. Just for fun, I'll repurpose the custom moves she had.
B: Dashing Assault; Lucina thrusts while dashing forward.
Side B: Effortless Blade; Lucina performs every type of combo in succession, but it deals less damage than Dancing Blade.
Up B: Dolphin Jump; Lucina jumps really high, but the move deals no damage
Down B: Easy Counter; The stance lasts longer, but the counterattack deals less damage.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I will never understand why people take everything so seriously
I have taken things seriously...

Either by accident or even though I do realize the other person is joking.

Either way, I would not call anyone like you out for making jokes like that.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Its a little disheartening to see random articles that describe how difficult for Nintendo to make a game as good as Ultimate. Or they pose the question, where do we go from here? As if the game is absolutely perfect.

1. Personally I do feel like Smash could improve their solo player experience. Id like to see a full on 3D Adventure/RPG style overworld and story to flesh out single player. Many of the animations like ladder climbing, swimming, and etc are there and should have more meaningful uses. A single player experience would be a great way to realize that in a 3D environment. I wasnt a fan of the whole subspace thing, Id rather see a more serious story even if they have to introduce a new or customizable protagonist. The current fighting system will serve as the go to layer for battle mechanics for the first player mode.
  2. They should really lean in to the echo character class as well, still so many missed opportunities there. Flesh out the characters that deserve it, but I wouldnt mind seeing more popular/iconic "echoes" being added.
  3. A Mario Party like mode would work quite well since there are so many characters in here. Minigames and Duels when you land on the same spot could add a whole other element of multiplayer fun. Once again there are so many lesser used animations these characters have, and its unfortunate they dont serve more purpose.
  4. Online obviously needs to be better. So many areas to improve here, and I would need whole thread to cover all those. Overall quality, Ranking system, modes, etc.. Some this may have to be fixed on the Nintendo/Hardware side of things unfortunately.
  5. More characters, not less. More Items, not less. I cant stress this enough. Unless the controls/mechanics planned to be fleshed out more per character, I see no reason to leave out characters unless it is due to obvious rights. Less content in this area is a bit of a cop out in my opinion. I've always held on to the hope that Sora would have been included in the roster and that his "confusing" rights issues would not get in the way. What people should take away from his inclusion is that any character is possible at this point so long as their origins are from a video game. In addition to that most companies are on board with how smash handles their IPs.
  6. New mechanics. Tag team battle mechanics should be implemented. So many characters on this roster have synergy amongst each-other. Whether that be characters from a single IP or even across IPs. Mario and Yoshi combined attacks make sense. However even Sonic and Mario combined attacks make sense. These should be explored.
  7. Custom character. Personally not a huge fan of the mii aesthetic, so I do see potential here in both visuals and implementation.
  8. Collectibles and Cross game interactions being improved. Stickers were ok, personally loved the trophies a lot more. Overall I'd say they need to make a way to make these collectibles more appealing. Maybe you collect trophies and stickers, posters that could be used to decorate a room. Id also like to see this game interact with other games more as far as special content goes.
Really these are just a few things I wanted to get off my chest as far as where I hope the next smash game could go.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Dark Pit, Daisy, Richter and Dark Samus are usually found to be too similar. Let's change them up. However...

Here's my changes.

Dark Pit
Daisy
Richter
  • Richter's uppercut goes much higher but only does one hit that's strong at the beginning.
Dark Samus
Daisy
-Side B: Instead of a vegetables Daisy pull out a sports ball. It can be a volley ball, a basket ball, a tennis ball etc. all with different properties.
-Side aerial is a tennis racket smash
-Final smash: Daisy hit the opponent with a baseball bat so hard that he flies to space and Tatanga shoots him.

Its a little disheartening to see random articles that describe how difficult for Nintendo to make a game as good as Ultimate. Or they pose the question, where do we go from here? As if the game is absolutely perfect.

1. Personally I do feel like Smash could improve their solo player experience. Id like to see a full on 3D Adventure/RPG style overworld and story to flesh out single player. Many of the animations like ladder climbing, swimming, and etc are there and should have more meaningful uses. A single player experience would be a great way to realize that in a 3D environment. I wasnt a fan of the whole subspace thing, Id rather see a more serious story even if they have to introduce a new or customizable protagonist. The current fighting system will serve as the go to layer for battle mechanics for the first player mode.
  2. They should really lean in to the echo character class as well, still so many missed opportunities there. Flesh out the characters that deserve it, but I wouldnt mind seeing more popular/iconic "echoes" being added.
  3. A Mario Party like mode would work quite well since there are so many characters in here. Minigames and Duels when you land on the same spot could add a whole other element of multiplayer fun. Once again there are so many lesser used animations these characters have, and its unfortunate they dont serve more purpose.
  4. Online obviously needs to be better. So many areas to improve here, and I would need whole thread to cover all those. Overall quality, Ranking system, modes, etc.. Some this may have to be fixed on the Nintendo/Hardware side of things unfortunately.
  5. More characters, not less. More Items, not less. I cant stress this enough. Unless the controls/mechanics planned to be fleshed out more per character, I see no reason to leave out characters unless it is due to obvious rights. Less content in this area is a bit of a cop out in my opinion. I've always held on to the hope that Sora would have been included in the roster and that his "confusing" rights issues would not get in the way. What people should take away from his inclusion is that any character is possible at this point so long as their origins are from a video game. In addition to that most companies are on board with how smash handles their IPs.
  6. New mechanics. Tag team battle mechanics should be implemented. So many characters on this roster have synergy amongst each-other. Whether that be characters from a single IP or even across IPs. Mario and Yoshi combined attacks make sense. However even Sonic and Mario combined attacks make sense. These should be explored.
  7. Custom character. Personally not a huge fan of the mii aesthetic, so I do see potential here in both visuals and implementation.
  8. Collectibles and Cross game interactions being improved. Stickers were ok, personally loved the trophies a lot more. Overall I'd say they need to make a way to make these collectibles more appealing. Maybe you collect trophies and stickers, posters that could be used to decorate a room. Id also like to see this game interact with other games more as far as special content goes.
Really these are just a few things I wanted to get off my chest as far as where I hope the next smash game could go.
A rpg like 3d adventure mode would take way too much development time. There's a reason why fighting game today don't even do big story mode anymore. There's no way we have a roster as big, let alone bigger, with a bigger story mode on top of that. The party mode, they try it on Smash wii U and it was awful and again, it's just a waste of developement time. Custom character I don't see the point personally. I agree with the other things you've said.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've consistently maintained that user creation could give a lot of longevity to the next Smash. I'm aware that there have to be practical limitations on stage designs, Mii creation and so on, but deep options with both on top of really new territory like create your own spirit battles, break the targets, classic campaigns, and maybe even World of Light esque custom map creations? I think there's something there, especially given the creativity of fans seen in stuff like Mario Maker. Its a more complex canvas and the overall goals of the game are different, however there is enough core similarities where some of that design mentality to work in Smash if done right.

You really want to give some greater weight to new spirits popping up routinely after release? Give players the options to create new events and adventure mode elements with them.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
I've consistently maintained that user creation could give a lot of longevity to the next Smash. I'm aware that there have to be practical limitations on stage designs, Mii creation and so on, but deep options with both on top of really new territory like create your own spirit battles, break the targets, classic campaigns, and maybe even World of Light esque custom map creations? I think there's something there, especially given the creativity of fans seen in stuff like Mario Maker. Its a more complex canvas and the overall goals of the game are different, however there is enough core similarities where some of that design mentality to work in Smash if done right.

You really want to give some greater weight to new spirits popping up routinely after release? Give players the options to create new events and adventure mode elements with them.
I think at the very least, a Mode Builder where you can create your own Target Tests an Classic Mode routes would be nifty.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I've been nostalgic for Skylanders lately (even came up with a fighter concept, though I doubt anybody here wants to see it), and I came up with a... potentially stupid idea. So, my personal favorite Skylanders game was Trap Team. That game's gimmick was that you could capture certain in-game enemies and temporarily play as them in the game. That worked well enough for that game, but then I got curious if there was a way to do that in Smash. The best I could come up with was something that's kinda like Assist Trophies, except you actually PLAY as them. Basically, in this Smash's hypothetical story mode, you could occassionally encounter a specific type of enemy (be it a notable antagonist from one of the games being repped here, or just a slightly more powerful version of a generic enemy), and if you beat that enemy, you could use an item of some sort to "capture" them, which would allow you to temporarily switch to playing as that character not just in single player, but normal Smash too. The main caveat here, however, is that these aren't full-fledged fighters. More like... proof of concepts? In a way? Say for example, you capture a Goomba: said Goomba would only be able to do the ABSOLUTE basics, like a headbutt or turning into a Paragoomba. Basically stuff that would allow it to last more than two seconds in the match, but not to the point where it would be on par with the ACTUAL fighters. Plus, like I said, these guys would be on a timelimit, only lasting a few seconds before switching back to the fighter.

I'll admit, I have no idea if this is even POSSIBLE for Smash, much less how to balance it (though admittefly I was never good at balancing things), but... IDK, I just had the idea pop into my head and wanted to share, I guess.

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
A rpg like 3d adventure mode would take way too much development time. There's a reason why fighting game today don't even do big story mode anymore. There's no way we have a roster as big, let alone bigger, with a bigger story mode on top of that. The party mode, they try it on Smash wii U and it was awful and again, it's just a waste of developement time. Custom character I don't see the point personally. I agree with the other things you've said.
You also have to consider that the companies that own these characters are very protective of their brand. So writing a story mode using their characters is kind of risky, because if what you write upsets the IP holders, it lowers the chance of those characters returning in subsequent games. It's probably not worth it from Nintendo's perspective.

SPEN18

Smash Champion

1. I agree that singleplayer is one area where a new Smash could easily improve over Ult. I did like SSE, however, and would love to someday see a more refined and modernized version of it, though I would be concerned about the amount of resources going into such a project.

2. Personally would rather see less Echoes, actually. I think we're at a roster size point now where we could increase immersion by relying less and less on clones with each installment. The roster pad is not a necessity the way it was in earlier games with <40 characters. Just put the vast majority of the effort into the characters who really earned their unique slots, IMO.

3. They did try the board game thing already with Smash Tour. But it would be fair to argue that a much, much better executed board game sort of mode could be more successful, though I wonder if they would have any doubts about trying it again.

4. Online, yeah, another (at least ostensibly) easy area for improvement.

5. I'm not concerned about the character count, personally. They're not gonna try to sell us anything smaller than the last ground-up game they made, which was the 50+ characters in base Smash 4. The roster can be plenty big even with several cuts, and potential DLC can only improve the count. A smaller raw number of characters could even constitute a better roster, IMO, depending on who they are and how they are executed. You can always compensate for a slightly smaller size by revamping outdated aspects of vets and focusing on a healthy number of newcomers rather than mandating that every single clone and circumstantial addition from the past gets carried over.
With items, again I'm not concerned about the raw number of them, but it's certainly fertile ground there for interesting ideas that could help to shake up the party-friendly gameplay.

6. New mechanics are easily possible, yeah. I wouldn't put it past them to take some risks with the gameplay in order to up the ante in a new game. I don't know about Tag Team mechanics in particular; it would be a lot to do it for every pair of characters, and doing it for only select pairs might seem weird.

7. The custom options may be subject to what the next console does: will Miis be continued or replaced with another player avatar system? Will the next hardware even utilize a player avatar system that could be used as the basis for custom Smash fighters? Or would Smash consider divorcing its custom options from those built into the hardware? Expansion of customization options was tried out fairly heavily in 4; some of it stuck, and some of it didn't. Not sure how far they're willing to go with it. Of course Smash will always focus on leveraging the highly diverse and distinctive abilities and appearances of brand-name characters rather than devolving into a more generic build-a-fighter game, but I agree that there are some relatively aggressive customization options that could be explored either in terms of custom characters or in terms of the stage builder and singeplayer level design.

8. I loved trophies also and getting full renders of so many classic Nintendo characters was amazing. However, they may be gone for good as the desire for a larger raw number of easier-to-make collectibles has seemingly taken over. Their approach so far, in both SSE and WoL, is to make the collectibles interesting by corresponding them to powerups in the singleplayer mode. Don't know if they'd rather try to simply execute that formula better or try something completely different; I'd lean towards the latter. I do like the idea of more decoration and display options for the collectibles.

You also have to consider that the companies that own these characters are very protective of their brand. So writing a story mode using their characters is kind of risky, because if what you write upsets the IP holders, it lowers the chance of those characters returning in subsequent games. It's probably not worth it from Nintendo's perspective.
Forget about subsequent games; any aspects of the story mode would have to be approved by all of the respective rights holders before anything is final, and would probably be subject to several quality/satisfaction checks all the way through development. So yeah a story mode could impact certain characters not only returning in subsequent games but also getting in to begin with.
edit: sorry for double post

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Well the more recent Smash bros games are partially developed by Bandai Namco, a company with a long history of making tons of games that use this very idea for the basis of a big multiverse of games.

I'm not saying this will ever happen or anything but Bandai Namco could probably flex some of their experience in doing this for over 30 years to make something that resembles a story mode.

Make a Subspace emmisary style story mode with some light RPG elements and have all those characters interact in silent dialogue boxes, using dialogue boxes instad of full 3D voice acted cutscenes gets around the issue of some of these characters not having voice actors in smash.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I feel that, while it's probably possible to top Ultimate, I doubt Nintendo or NAMCO ever will. And that's why I'm so concerned about the future of Smash.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Really? Cause in a roster of 82 characters, only a couple of them are jokes. So, no, "most likely" you would not get some joke character. The odds are drastically in the favor of getting something cool.

And when the bar of cool that you have to clear is...Squirtle and Ivysaur, it's pretty much guaranteed.

1 Odds are based on whatever Masahiro Sakurai and the new executive producer pick. So again this is not a valid point , because you are making an assumption about the characters they want in.

2 i would love to know what reason you have to believe in how skipping a transformation character would result in 2 more good characters,
2.01 Heavy emphasis on good

2.1 ... is not a transformation character and they took a lot of development time
2.1.1 Banjo and Kazooie & Duck Hunt & Steve & Ridley & Sora & MinMin & Hero

3 I actually don't care for Pokemon Trainer in their current form.

4 My standard for ( transformation characters ) in Smash is Pythra.

5 i personally feel at least about 20+ of the characters in SSBU are ( jokes / very boring ) in every way.

6 your definition of a good character also seems to be faulty. please elaborate ..

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well, for one thing it may very well be that porting and/or only making minimal alterations to Ultimate's assets is not even viable with the new hardware.
So why would Smash's developers be stupid enough to make an engine that doesn't easily accept Ultimate's assets?

Ever since the HD leap, game development has shifted to things like portable, unified engines to standardize and cost-cut on development. This is why things like Unity and Unreal are so prevalent nowadays.

Ultimate itself was constructed to build forward from Smash 4, and that didn't stop them from making significant alterations to the 64-Brawl pool here and there.

In my view, being a port or a ground-up retool will limit the audience.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
I feel that, while it's probably possible to top Ultimate, I doubt Nintendo or NAMCO ever will. And that's why I'm so concerned about the future of Smash.
Really ?? it is quite easy not counting getting new characters & such

1 lots of MINI-GAMES & ( we can add more stages )

2 beginner friendly modes = unlimited up specials

3 1 per stock = horizontal ( AERIAL SMASH ATTACK )

4 Hugely Improve ALL STAGES competitive & casual.

5 WaveDashing is Back & shield = frame 15

6 can go through platforms much easier

7 Nerf ledge grab range & improve ledge roll intangibility

8 grab = gets its own button & dash-grab picks up items

9 ( Super Sudden Death ) & ( Ready Go ) = go to top

10 Can mute character(s) moves & or taunts

11 better training mode to validate true combos

12 better dash attacks

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I don't think the next smash will have a roster that's as large or has as many "big names" as Ultimate, but I don't think it has to in order to be a worthwhile addition to the series.

There are other aspects of Ultimate that I think can be improved on, like the core gameplay and the singleplayer modes. If the next smash game did that I'd still consider it a success even if we lose some third party characters.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Ultimate sold more than twice the next closest with 4, (and that's having to combine 3DS and WiiU, separately Brawl is next in sales.) That's a huge difference and it's because of DLC imho. So whatever base game we get in the future, whatever engine or system it's on, there will be DLC and that's where the big money is made (and spent).

Assuming 12 DLC characters again... Can you name 12 characters you'd pay for?

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Dr. Mario and Mario play very very different now compared to what they used to. Dr. Mario also plays super differently from Luigi, but that might be kind of what the point was. It's hard to word it when you have 3 different characters(and both were based upon Mario. Albeit, he has Ness also based upon him, but still).
That's kind of exaggerating. They may have a few differences but not to the point that they're completely different characters. Dr. Mario is still very much a clone of Mario.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ultimate sold more than twice the next closest with 4, (and that's having to combine 3DS and WiiU, separately Brawl is next in sales.) That's a huge difference and it's because of DLC imho. So whatever base game we get in the future, whatever engine or system it's on, there will be DLC and that's where the big money is made (and spent).

Honestly, I think I’d buy all the DLC characters no matter who they are just for extra content but I’ll list 12 I’d love to see.

1) Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
2) Magus (Chrono Trigger)
3) Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft)
4) Zegram Ghart (Rogue Galaxy)
4) Illidan Stormrage (WarCraft)
5) Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
6) Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
7) Alphen and Shionne (Tales of Arise)
8) Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra)
9) Zero (Mega Man X)
10) Xemnas (Kingdom Hearts)
11) Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
12) Vi (League of Legends/Arcane)

There’s a ton more I’d love to see too but these are just some of the characters I’d be most excited for.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team

1. Rayman
  2. Crash Bandicoot
  3. Estelle Bright
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Dragonborn
  6. Dante
  7. Scorpion
  8. Meowth
  9. Yuri Lowell
  10. Zero
  11. Master Chief

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I feel like who i would pay for and who i want are two completely different questions lol

In which case, i know someone like Ratchet, Kiryu or Crash would make bank in DLC.

Maybe mix in some characters like Min-Min and Terry who are literal who's to the general public but would make some people happy when their announced

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Full disclosure. I'm the guy who would pay for virtually any new Smash character. It's someone new to play. I'm not THAT picky.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

1. Eggman (SEGA)
2. Officer Howard
3. Waddle Dee
4. Doomguy (Bethesda)
5. Crash Bandicoot (Activision)
6. Hayabusa
7. Phoenix Wright (Capcom)
8. Professor Layton (Level-5)
9. Rayman (Ubisoft)
10. Yuri Lowell (Bandai Namco)
11. Bomberman (Konami)
12. Tifa (Square Enix)

1. Senran Kagura character (just a placeholder) (Tamsoft)
2. Blanc (Compile Heart)
3. Tsubasa and Carnage!Caeda (Atlus)
4. Rabbid!Peach (Ubisoft)
5. Sub-Zero (Warner Brothers)
6. Nemesis (Capcom)
7. Moai (Konami)
8. Squares from Puyo Puyo Tetris (SEGA)
9. Kefka (Square Enix)
10. Tak (Nickelodeon)
11. Wonder Red (PlatinumGames)
12. Reiji and Xiaomu (MonolithSoft)

1. Anthropomorphic Vurtual Boy (like in the commercial)
2. Morshu
3. Boogerman
4. Nico Robin
5. Maki Oze
6. Mikasa Ackerman
7. Shrek
8. Korra
9. Optimus Prime
10. Tetromino
11. Revy from Black Lagoon
12. Barkley Bill (TerryToons)

SPEN18

Smash Champion
So why would Smash's developers be stupid enough to make an engine that doesn't easily accept Ultimate's assets?

Ever since the HD leap, game development has shifted to things like portable, unified engines to standardize and cost-cut on development. This is why things like Unity and Unreal are so prevalent nowadays.

Ultimate itself was constructed to build forward from Smash 4, and that didn't stop them from making significant alterations to the 64-Brawl pool here and there.

In my view, being a port or a ground-up retool will limit the audience.
They will reuse Ultimate's assets to the extent that they are able and to the extent that it makes sense for their vision of the game. They will use an engine that they think best balances reuse of assets along with whatever other considerations they may have. It's not a matter of their intelligence, which I don't think should be in question, nor is it likely to be an issue of zero compatibility between engine and assets.
But there is a lot of uncertainty with the new hardware, and one of the few fairly certain things is that there will be a big performance upgrade over the Switch. Smash 64 would have looked awful on the GCN; Melee would have looked awful on the Wii; Brawl would have looked awful on the Wii U. Very likely Ult will at best lose quite a bit of luster on the next console.

I just don't see how you can keep all of Ult's content and still add enough new stuff unless you are in the straight port situation. And regardless of what happens for the very next installment, a ground-up game will have to come eventually; delaying it is not going to make it any easier for the people who are afraid of losing even their least favorite character or stage on the roster. The difficulty of doing EiH in the first place and the public statements they've made regarding that difficulty give them the perfect excuse to not do it again (really more a sensible reasoning than an excuse).

I don't know all the exact details of what you have in mind when you say a "middle road" between a port and a brand new game, but like I said before it will likely entail more effort than it's worth to both maintain Ult's content base and cook up the USPs that typically accompany a brand new game.

Last edited:

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice

I hope they add some secondary characters from third party franchises that are already represented. The ones I have in mind are Chun-Li, Zero, Alucard, Aigis and Tails (or Knuckles). This can only happen if Nintendo can still use these IPs tho.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Is thre a thread for what if ideas for a Smash newcomer or is it just this thread?

Because i want to share my color pallete idea for my what if Smash newcomer and i dont want to risk annoying the people in this thread because i've slowly came up with this concept in several posts already. lol

SPEN18

Smash Champion
My take is that DLC almost doubling the cost to get the full game is ridiculous and I only buy packs for characters I really like. For Ultimate that was only three out of the twelve.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Is thre a thread for what if ideas for a Smash newcomer or is it just this thread?

Because i want to share my color pallete idea for my what if Smash newcomer and i dont want to risk annoying the people in this thread because i've slowly came up with this concept in several posts already. lol
my what if idea is:
What if Nintendo rejected Dragon King and HAL went with the RC robot game?

Last edited:
Top Bottom