• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Hayabusa would most definitely based more on his Ninja Gaiden design but I could also picture them adding the DOA counter feature to his moveset.

Oh and DarthEnderX, I got the Double Dragon and Kunio-kun Retro Brawler Bundle, so I've been playing even more of the Kunio-kun games.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m kind of tempted to try out River City Girls. I’ve been playing a bunch of Beat em Ups since Shredder’s Revenge because they were on sale and they’re something quick and fun to play with friends. I’ve never played a River City game but the gameplay on those look fun.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I’m kind of tempted to try out River City Girls. I’ve been playing a bunch of Beat em Ups since Shredder’s Revenge because they were on sale and they’re something quick and fun to play with friends. I’ve never played a River City game but the gameplay on those look fun.
Really? You never played River City Ransom? Because that game is really fun. It still holds up pretty well.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Really? You never played River City Ransom?
Surprisingly not. I definitely knew what it was but I didn’t play it. It took me forever to play Finsl Fight and Streets of Rage too. The only Beat em Ups I played when I was younger were the TMNT games, Battletoads, Rival Turf, and a bit of Double Dragon. I played Simpsons once in arcade too and beat it much later on. I’ve played more since but I’m still way behind in the genre.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
im biased in that i grew up on fighting games so i'd want so many of them in Smash but if i had to boil it down to 4:

Sol Badguy
Chun-Li
Nakoruru
Scorpion

IMO for fighting game reps these should be mainstays in Smash:

Ryu
Chun-Li
Sol Badguy
Kazuya
Terry
Scorpion

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If Hyabusa counts as a fighting game rep due to his appearance in DOA, then my most wanted fighting game character is Rash from the Battletoads followed by Gengar. Venom, Spawn, Predator and Orochimaru would be cool too.
To be honest those are all guest characters in those respective franchises or part of spin-offs, whereas Hayabusa is a main character in the DOA franchise.

Ideally I'd like him to be paired up with Kasumi as a tag team, as they are partners in the games.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
To be honest those are all guest characters in those respective franchises or part of spin-offs, whereas Hayabusa is a main character in the DOA franchise.

Ideally I'd like him to be paired up with Kasumi as a tag team, as they are partners in the games.
That’s a fair argument. I’d still consider Hyabusa to be more of an action game rep than a fighting game rep but I can see why someone might feel differently. Perhaps Goku and Naruto are better comparisons. Ignoring the fact they’re fourth party, the Dragon Ball and Naruto fighting games have always been big so someone could probably make the case of him being a fighting game character.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I want our next fighting game character to ge from Melty Blood because there's really a lot of ways to make that choice super unique.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i struggle to get into most fighting games and can only really do the platform ones and the simplistic ones. in short i'm just gonna give a shout out to kilik again

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Surprisingly not. I definitely knew what it was but I didn’t play it. It took me forever to play Finsl Fight and Streets of Rage too. The only Beat em Ups I played when I was younger were the TMNT games, Battletoads, Rival Turf, and a bit of Double Dragon. I played Simpsons once in arcade too and beat it much later on. I’ve played more since but I’m still way behind in the genre.
Well, there's different ways to play it. You can either play on the Nintendo Switch Online, buy the Retro Brawler Bundle (which also includes the original Japanese release of the game), or buy it by itself.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i struggle to get into most fighting games and can only really do the platform ones and the simplistic ones. in short i'm just gonna give a shout out to kilik again
Same here. I really like them in theory but I just don’t have the patience or dedication to practice enough to be competitive. They’re fun when they have a good story mode or something to do besides just exhibition matches and arcade mode.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hayabusa would most definitely based more on his Ninja Gaiden design but I could also picture them adding the DOA counter feature to his moveset.
You mean in terms of moveset right? As of DOA4 the series share one singular design for Hayabusa.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I want our next fighting game character to ge from Melty Blood because there's really a lot of ways to make that choice super unique.
It have to be from one of the original characters. Since many of them are from other Type Moon IPs like Tsukihime or Garden of Sinners (this last one being a Light Novel, making Ryogi a book character)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You mean in terms of moveset right? As of DOA4 the series share one singular design for Hayabusa.
I think that’s why I thought he was just a guest in 4. I didn’t realize Hyabusa had been part of the series since the beginning since their designs differed so much.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
For visual novel characters, despite being a big visual novel fan I don't actually want many characters from them.

With an exception of course.
1676923142729.png

Gengar84

Smash Hero
For visual novel characters, despite being a big visual novel fan I don't actually want many characters from them.

With an exception of course.
View attachment 368435
My vote’s for this guy:

1676923344183.jpeg

Admittedly only thanks to the anime. I’d gladly accept either Kurisu or Suzuha instead though. It would be fun to see a moveset based on time travel.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Does Digimon count as a visual novel thanks to the latest game? There’s a few Digimon that would be really cool to see.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Does Digimon count as a visual novel thanks to the latest game? There’s a few Digimon that would be really cool to see.
The series as a whole is a monster catching game.
Survive is mostly a one off thing i think.

Agumon would be who they would pick since he's the poster boy of the brand, maybe they could bring in a gameplay quirk from the Digimon rumble arena series.

Rumble arena was a Digimon smash bros clone where the gimmick was kinda like Joker in smash. A bar fills up and he summons Arsene, only for the Digimon a bar fills up and they digivolve to one of their higher forms for a brief period.

So Agumon would fill up a bar in battle and become Greymon for a bit. With a final smash where he turns into Wargreymon.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The series as a whole is a monster catching game.
Survive is mostly a one off thing i think.

Agumon would be who they would pick since he's the poster boy of the brand, maybe they could bring in a gameplay quirk from the Digimon rumble arena series.

Rumble arena was a Digimon smash bros clone where the gimmick was kinda like Joker in smash. A bar fills up and he summons Arsene, only for the Digimon a bar fills up and they digivolve to one of their higher forms for a brief period.

So Agumon would fill up a bar in battle and become Greymon for a bit. With a final smash where he turns into Wargreymon.
I was never huge on Agumon’s design but it makes the most sense. No matter which is chosen, a digivolve mechanic could be a lot of fun.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Reminder that Digimon started as some sort of "Tamagotchi but for boys".
Bandai was weird in the 90s.
But G&W is in Smash so, yeah!
If Game and Watch count as a videogame then Tamagotchi counts as a videogame.

It makes sense to me.

Out of the three Bamco series i want to see in Smash, (Tals of and SRW being the other two) Digimon is somehow the one i see as least likely, due to Toei needing to be credited as well.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah, in terms of moveset. Like, his gimmick is that the Izuna Drop can only be executed through the counter command from the DOA series.
Ahhh I see yeah that makes more sense then.

Yeah him using Holds to activate Izuna Drop would be interesting tbh, in general I want to see the Hold mechanic in Smash since it'd be super unique.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
When it comes to characters from visual novels and adventure games, my personal most wanted is Kyle Hyde. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 is a truly wonderful game, and I really hope I can get around to buying the sequel one day (probably around this summer after the 3DS eShop closes and I can use some disposable cash for it because hoo boy is it pricy on the aftermarket).

For the folks who haven't played it and only know it from That One Brawl Trophy, I definitely recommend checking it out, especially if you can get a physical copy to play on actual hardware, since the game makes use of a lot of the quirks of the DS (the 3DS preserves most of this, thankfully).

yami-kalas-kyle-hyde.gif

Gengar84

Smash Hero
nice to see some digimon love
I’ve always been more of a Pokémon guy but I’ve really enjoyed the two Digimon games I’ve played (The first Digimon World on PS1 and Cyber Sleuth on PS4). The only issue is I don’t know how popular my favorite Digimon are and they aren’t exactly mascots. At least Gengar is a fan favorite in Pokémon.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’ve always been more of a Pokémon guy but I’ve really enjoyed the two Digimon games I’ve played (The first Digimon World on PS1 and Cyber Sleuth on PS4). The only issue is I don’t know how popular my favorite Digimon are and they aren’t exactly mascots. At least Gengar is a fan favorite in Pokémon.
tell me who they are i might know

Gengar84

Smash Hero
tell me who they are i might know
My number one favorite is Ogremon but I also really like Meramon, Titanmon, and Kuwagamon. I’m sure there are many others I can’t remember because I haven’t really memorized most of them like I do with Pokémon but those are just a few that stuck out to me as really cool.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My number one favorite is Ogremon but I also really like Meramon, Titanmon, and Kuwagamon. I’m sure there are many others I can’t remember because I haven’t really memorized most of them like I do with Pokémon but those are just a few that stuck out to me as really cool.
ogremon, meramon and kuwagamon were all prominent in digimon adventure and most of them are treated the same way gen 1 Pokémon are. titamon was made to be ogremons mega form so he’ll turn up a lot as well. and he has a connection to a group of digimon that are supposed to be the main focus of the next digimon story

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I find it strange we don’t have more namco contents in smash despite them developing it like i think they deserve more reps more than any other 3rd parties due to their contribution to the development and namco does have many multi million series like Tamogotchi, Tales of, Digimon and Dark Souls

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
This could work too yeah. I basically see Alear as inevitable. The rumors of Engage where always coupled with a FE4 remake, frankly I don't see Sigurd make it before Alear. But since Sigurd is quite a sigfinicant Emblem (used by the mother of Alear) him being coupled with Alear seems likely. Leaf too maybe? And Lyn cause of popularity, tho I could see her being a newcomer on her own too.

Still, another version of Alear could also happen but that one is spoilers heavy.

Also about Engage being "worth" getting... well depends on your tastes? It's far less story heavy than Three Houses, has one straight path, and focuses more on FE fundamentals and new gimmicks as Emblems and breaking. Gameplay wise I see yes definitely worth it. If you look for a deep story like Three Houses / Path of Radiance / Radiant Dawn, maybe not. The story is real straightforward, characters aren't as deeply fleshed out as Three Houses, but you'll love it regardless if you're a big fan of the series as it's a sort of celebration of Fire Emblem as a series.
I don't really get where the idea that Alear is inevitable comes from. Unless the next Smash development start in the next few months or as already started last year, I actually think his chances are very low. Here's a quote from Sakurai on the topic of Robin and Lucina in Smash 4:

"Industry trends around the time when development begins is a pretty big factor. I started development on Smash for 3DS/ Wii U right after I’d wrapped up Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Fire Emblem Awakening was released one month after Uprising. So what’s popular around the time when I begin designing the game is important." (...) " For example, if Awakening was released six months later, Robin may not have made it in, and if it was six months early, they might not have even been considered."

Timing is very important for Smash characters, and it's especially important for Fire emblem because it's not a huge franchise by any means. Fire emblem was always very lucky with Smash bros development timing (Roy's game releasing soon after Melee, Awakening just released right at the time SMash 4 started development, Fates released at the time they were deciding Smash 4 DLC characters and Three houses was in development also when they were deciding Ultimate DLC characters. Now let's say Smash 6 starts development next years, would Alear be seriously considered? I doubt it, even Sakurai admits that a 6 months difference for Awakening could have mean that Robin wouldn't even have been considered. Personally I think's Alear chances are very low unless the game has already started development (which would surprise me a lot).

Here's the source by the way for the quotes Source gaming

If we were to get another fighting game character I have a few choices in mind:
View attachment 368394
View attachment 368395
View attachment 368396
All of these four would be pretty nice!
My most wanted fighting game characters would be Scorpion from Mortal kombat, Kage Maru from Virtua fighter and Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I know Bayonetta is in but i feel like Morrigan issexier and definitely not for good boys and girls
No upskirts = no problem.

If Hyabusa counts as a fighting game rep due to his appearance in DOA, then my most wanted fighting game character is Rash from the Battletoads
Not really the same thing. Rash is guest character in KI. Ninja Gaiden and DoA take place in the same universe, and Hayabusa has been in every DoA game.

It's like how Guy and Cody are legit Street Fighter characters.

As fun as a Midnight Bliss FS would be...
If we ever get the Super Crown in Smash, they can reuse those assets for Midnight Bliss. :p

I mean, he's GONNA have an Izuna Drop. That's just a fact.

Oh and DarthEnderX, I got the Double Dragon and Kunio-kun Retro Brawler Bundle, so I've been playing even more of the Kunio-kun games.
Hells yeah!

Last edited:
Top Bottom