• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Quillion

Smash Hero
with all the new gimmick that was introduced in the DLC fighters i am wondering when will ever have a shapeshifter fighter? with that being said smash crusade do already have a shapeshifter fighter like Shantae
keep in mind a shapeshifter should be able to change its stats and change its appearance between moves and stay in that form until another specific move is used
there are some shapeshifter characters i do want in smash and they are pretty much can have this type of playstyle
Smithy (SMRPG) being both gun and hammer fighter is already very unique thing to have but he offers shapeshifting as well with stat and moveset changes
Princess Shokora (Wario Land)
She can be a combination of :ultgnw::ultpeach::ultwario: and much more
Deoxys

Rotom could switch from ghost attacks to flying or ice or fire or grass or water attacks and keep changing forms that could his hitbox and stats

Hakkun (Sutte Hakkun)
He can change forms and change his weight from light to heavy depending on how much color sucked from other fighters and change his form as well to become more defensive

However i still think Ditto is the most likely option to become playable in smash when it comes to shapeshifter fighter as its probably way more simple and more recognizable
Someone else made a good point that shapeshifter fighters would be rather chaotic and confusing for players while giving the modeling team too much work. It would make it hard for certain players to keep track of their fighter.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
we were comparing 2 and 3 what's 1 got to do with it?

he was saying that the "tone and style" was significantly different between them and i was saying it wasn't as wide

Yeah okay, missed that part.

To keep it relevant, to everyone else here in this thread: how is Xenoblade 3?

Yeah I said I'd complete Three Hopes first but am on my final route , Scarlet Blaze and it's easily the least interesting route of them all so I might just pauze it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Yeah I said I'd complete Three Hopes first but am on my final route , Scarlet Blaze and it's easily the least interesting route of them all so I might just pauze it.
I still need to finish XCDE...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well if you enjoyed any other xenoblade you’d probably enjoy it too

Gengar84

Smash Hero
we were comparing 2 and 3 what's 1 got to do with it?

he was saying that the "tone and style" was significantly different between them and i was saying it wasn't as wide
Here’s my take so far: Xenoblade 3 seems to be using the general art style of Xenoblade 2 and Definitive edition in a literal sense but the tone of the game so far seems much closer to Xenoblade 1 than Xenoblade 2. Beyond the excessive fanservice in 2, it also had a lot of other things I didn’t care for. I’m actually a huge anime fan but I couldn’t stand Tora and Popi. I found both of them to be extremely annoying. I also strongly dislike Rex, both as a character, and his design. I think the humor the game was trying to go for just didn’t click with me.

Still, the world was still really fun to explore, the music was amazing, the combat was fun (but confusing), and Nia was a really awesome character so I still had fun with 2 despite my issues with it. Morag and Zeke were cool too even if Zeke went a bit too far in being a stereotypical chunibyo to fully appreciate him as a completely original character.

I personally feel like Noah has the coolest design of all three mainline games so far and I’m really enjoying his character as well. Mio is also a really cool character from what little I’ve seen so far. Nia was easily my favorite character in 2, so that might be part of it. It could very well change as I get further, but so far I’m feeling like Xenoblade 3 is the Xenoblade sequel I always wanted X and 2 to be but never quite were.

I still need to finish XCDE...
Same here. I beat the original game twice and got maybe 2/3rds of the way through XCDE but other games came out and I never got back to playing it. I never even had the chance to play Melia’s side story since I wanted to beat the main game again before I did. The original Xenoblade is probably in my top 5 favorite games of all time (although that list is extremely hard to narrow down) so I might get back to it at some point.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here’s my take so far: Xenoblade 3 seems to be using the general art style of Xenoblade 2 and Definitive edition in a literal sense but the tone of the game so far seems much closer to Xenoblade 1 than Xenoblade 2. Beyond the excessive fanservice in 2, it also had a lot of other things I didn’t care for. I’m actually a huge anime fan but I couldn’t stand Tora and Popi. I found both of them to be extremely annoying. I also strongly dislike Rex, both as a character, and his design. I think the humor the game was trying to go for just didn’t click with me.

Still, the world was still really fun to explore, the music was amazing, the combat was fun (but confusing), and Nia was a really awesome character so I still had fun with 2 despite my issues with it. Morag and Zeke were cool too even if Zeke went a bit too far in being a stereotypical chunibyo to fully appreciate him as a completely original character.

I personally feel like Noah has the coolest design of all three mainline games so far and I’m really enjoying his character as well. Mio is also a really cool character from what little I’ve seen so far. Nia was easily my favorite character in 2, so that might be part of it. It could very well change as I get further, but so far I’m feeling like Xenoblade 3 is the Xenoblade sequel I always wanted X and 2 to be but never quite were.

Same here. I beat the original game twice and got maybe 2/3rds of the way through XCDE but other games came out and I never got back to playing it. I never even had the chance to play Melia’s side story since I wanted to beat the main game again before I did. The original Xenoblade is probably in my top 5 favorite games of all time (although that list is extremely hard to narrow down) so I might get back to it at some point.
all xenoblades have the same tone, dying world, protagonists have something harrowing happen to them
And trust me the “fan service” is still there

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Fan service and tone and a million other things regarding the "style" of a presentation and on any media really, is highly subjective. It means that one person's view will vary from another and with no "rhyme or reason" to the take except that is how they see it. Sharing these views is difficult sometimes because individual word choices can give the wrong impression.

Xc3 is more like 1.

Ok, why? How?

Less anime sexy time (what, no bathing scene in 3?).

Now others may have since the first game (or even all Xeno or all Japanese things) found that it was already risque enough based on their sensibility. And so too if they believe 2 and 3 aren't "much different" means that for them there is no degrees of separation from "a little" to "a lot" or "too much" of it.

As a finer point even the ratings boards try to quantify this subjective matter by scanning for objective instances. This really just means the devs have to watch out for swearing or nudity or gore to avoid an M.

Lastly and food for thought: If you follow the history of Japanese mediums and are familiar with their particular set of adult themes, you'll find that it's actually a symptom of a much larger christian based sexual oppression that leeds to ideas like, the Japanese are just weird perverts.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Big understatement. I still gotta beat that, Klonoa, Miitopia, MUA3, AND Ys 8 (which I STILL haven't beaten despite how long I've had it).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Got there quicker than 2 did
Yeah, 3 actually had a bath scene really early on. The big difference for me is it felt like the game was going out of its way to make the scene reveal as little as possible, with pretty much everything covered up by steam clouds. Xenoblade 2 by contrast would have likely shown off a lot more. Again, I’m not saying there’s anything inherently wrong with that and I’m not trying to shame anyone who’s into it, it’s just not my personal thing.

I actually don’t mind sexy characters in gaming at all and some of them are actually among my favorite characters. It all comes down to the way they’re handled. For example, I love Lulu from FFX, Velvet from Tales, Sarah Kerrigan from StarCraft, Tharja from Fire Emblem and tons of other characters. I agree it’s all entirely subjective so people that prefer characters like Pyra/Mythra, Cia, Camilla, Hyperdimension Neptunia characters, and others aren’t any more wrong for liking what they do, it’s just not my personal taste. It’s a difficult topic to talk about because I don’t want to come across like I’m putting anyone down for liking what they do. It’s just kind of hard for me to explain why I’m personally not really into it myself.

As for how 3 feels more like 1, I’m still in the very early part of the game but the intros remind me quite a bit of each other, starting with huge battles of armies battling in a grim tone. It’s been a while but I think Xenoblade 2 felt a lot more lighthearted early on with Rex on his excavation missions until he meets up with Jin and Malos. XB2 definitely had dark moments but the game just had so many really goofy and silly moments that it was hard to take the game seriously when they wanted it to be more serious. Xenoblade 1 also had its fair share of silly moments like Riki, who I actually really enjoyed, but I feel like the overall tone was more serious with bits of silliness where XB2 felt like the game leaned closer to an overall silly tone with serious moments, although it may have been closer to a 50/50 split. I definitely think games work best with a good mix of serious moments and humor but I have to actually find the comedy funny in order for it to work.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, 3 actually had a bath scene really early on. The big difference for me is it felt like the game was going out of its way to make the scene reveal as little as possible, with pretty much everything covered up by steam clouds. Xenoblade 2 by contrast would have likely shown off a lot more. Again, I’m not saying there’s anything inherently wrong with that and I’m not trying to shame anyone who’s into it, it’s just not my personal thing.

I actually don’t mind sexy characters in gaming at all and some of them are actually among my favorite characters. It all comes down to the way they’re handled. For example, I love Lulu from FFX, Velvet from Tales, Sarah Kerrigan from StarCraft, Tharja from Fire Emblem and tons of other characters. I agree it’s all entirely subjective so people that prefer characters like Pyra/Mythra, Cia, Camilla, Hyperdimension Neptunia characters, and others aren’t any more wrong for liking what they do, it’s just not my personal taste. It’s a difficult topic to talk about because I don’t want to come across like I’m putting anyone down for liking what they do. It’s just kind of hard for me to explain why I’m personally not really into it myself.
I take it you haven’t met Ethel yet

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah, 3 actually had a bath scene really early on. The big difference for me is it felt like the game was going out of its way to make the scene reveal as little as possible, with pretty much everything covered up by steam clouds. Xenoblade 2 by contrast would have likely shown off a lot more.
Ah, Japanese comedy.... a group of "sexy" people bathing together but no actual sex. Just innuendo. Like it's somehow more tantalizing than hard core (it is.)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I take it you haven’t met Ethel yet
I’ve seen her in a flashback and I have no problems with her so far. She actually seems like a cool character and I like her design. We’ll see if that changes once I meet her in the current time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’ve seen her in a flashback and I have no problems with her so far. She actually seems like a cool character and I like her design. We’ll see if that changes once I meet her in the current time.
let’s just say she’ll have someone’s eye out

Gengar84

Smash Hero
let’s just say she’ll have someone’s eye out
Unless she changed her design significantly from the flashback cutscene I saw her in, she didn’t seem too bad to me. Her official artwork seemed fine too. I don’t really want to spoil too much for myself so I don’t want to look up her modern day design and ruin anything.

Here’s the only scene I’ve seen her in so far (mild early game spoilers):

At the very worst, I don’t see how she can be any worse proportionally than Pyra or Mythra already were.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Unless she changed her design significantly from the flashback cutscene I saw her in, she didn’t seem too bad to me. Her official artwork seemed fine too. I don’t really want to spoil too much for myself so I don’t want to look up her modern day design and ruin anything.

Here’s the only scene I’ve seen her in so far (mild early game spoilers):

At the very worst, I don’t see how she can be any worse proportionally than Pyra or Mythra already were.
bare in mind she's a kid there and while her outfit may cover more the proportions are about the same. and then of course there's the ahem movement

Gengar84

Smash Hero
bare in mind she's a kid there and while her outfit may cover more the proportions are about the same. and then of course there's the ahem movement
We’ll just have to see when we get there then. From what I understand, she’s basically the equivalent of a legendary blade from Xenoblade 2 so I could just choose not to use her if I don’t care for her that much and no harm done. Since Pyra, Mythra, and Brighid were major story relevant characters and main party members, you couldn’t very well just move on and use another character without seeing them constantly. I actually like all three as characters, I just wish some elements of their designs were toned down a bit is all.

Again, I’m making this sound like a much bigger deal than it was. Like Fates, I still had a lot of fun with the game overall and those aspects didn’t completely ruin the experience for me, it’s just something that I would have personally preferred going with a different direction. After all, I still bought Xenoblade 3 day one.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We’ll just have to see when we get there then. From what I understand, she’s basically the equivalent of a legendary blade from Xenoblade 2 so I could just choose not to use her if I don’t care for her that much and no harm done. Since Pyra, Mythra, and Brighid were major story relevant characters and main party members, you couldn’t very well just move on and use another character without seeing them constantly. I actually like all three as characters, I just wish some elements of their designs were toned down a bit is all.

Again, I’m making this sound like a much bigger deal than it was. Like Fates, I still had a lot of fun with the game overall and those aspects didn’t completely ruin the experience for me, it’s just something that I would have personally preferred going with a different direction.
well you could avoid the biggest offender in 2 at least

Gengar84

Smash Hero
well you could avoid the biggest offender in 2 at least
Yeah, and I did just that. Pyra, Mythra, and Brighid are exaggerated and a bit more than I’d personally like but I can deal with it and can still enjoy them as characters despite a few questionable design choices. Dahlia is a whole other story. I don’t care how well written the character might be, if she looks like that, she’s going in the box and I’m just going to pretend I didn’t see it lol.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, and I did just that. Pyra, Mythra, and Brighid are exaggerated and a bit more than I’d personally like but I can deal with it and can still enjoy them as characters despite a few questionable design choices. Dahlia is a whole other story. I don’t care how well written the character might be, if she looks like that, she’s going in the box and I’m just going to pretend I didn’t see it lol.
I get that. Everyone has their limit. I can ignore the stuff in jrpgs but for like say shante I’m put right off

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I get that. Everyone has their limit. I can ignore the stuff in jrpgs but for like say shante I’m put right off
I think the weird thing about Shantae is that the general art style seem like it should lend itself to kid friendly designs but the characters are often very risqué for the style they’re portrayed in. I feel like it’s a bit like Disgaea in that way. I do think I’d appreciate Shantae more if they toned down the fanservice but I don’t think they really emphasize it other than the designs alone. I could be wrong though since I’ve never played a Shantae game.

To get a better idea of what I’m talking about, let’s compare Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria to Camilla from Fire Emblem: Fates or Cia from Hyrule Warriors. All three have very revealing outfits but Velvet is never really sexualized beyond her clothing. Camilla and Cia, on the other hand, act extremely sexualized. I think proportions have something to do with it beyond just revealing clothing. Camilla is particularly exaggerated in this regard.

Anyways, I think I got way off topic from where I wanted this to go. I was trying to bring up a fun idea for a Xenoblade 3 character and somehow got sidetracked into this. It’s a little uncomfortable talking about my opinions on all of this because even though I try to be very respectful about everyone’s tastes and opinions, I feel like some people will still hate me for expressing my opinion. I know last time we discussed this topic, one of the users here called me out and said I was evil for not wanting to use Dahlia in Xenoblade due to her design.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think the weird thing about Shantae is that the general art style seem like it should lend itself to kid friendly designs but the characters are often very risqué for the style they’re portrayed in. I feel like it’s a bit like Disgaea in that way. I do think I’d appreciate Shantae more if they toned down the fanservice but I don’t think they really emphasize it other than the designs alone. I could be wrong though since I’ve never played a Shantae game.

To get a better idea of what I’m talking about, let’s compare Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria to Camilla from Fire Emblem: Fates or Cia from Hyrule Warriors. All three have very revealing outfits but Velvet is never really sexualized beyond her clothing. Camilla and Cia, on the other hand, act extremely sexualized. I think proportions have something to do with it beyond just revealing clothing. Camilla is particularly exaggerated in this regard.

Anyways, I think I got way off topic from where I wanted this to go. I was trying to bring up a fun idea for a Xenoblade 3 character and somehow got sidetracked into this. It’s a little uncomfortable talking about my opinions on all of this because even though I try to be very respectful about everyone’s tastes and opinions, I feel like some people will still hate me for expressing my opinion. I know last time we discussed this topic, one of the users here called me out and said I was evil for not wanting to use Dahlia in Xenoblade due to her design.
personally im trying to block out camilla

as for a xenoblade 3 character in smash i'm in favour of noah and mio as a switching character though that may change as i progress through the game

Gengar84

Smash Hero
personally im trying to block out camilla

as for a xenoblade 3 character in smash i'm in favour of noah and mio as a switching character though that may change as i progress through the game
Yeah, Noah and Mio as a switching character makes the most sense in isolation and I like both characters a good amount. The only issues are that we just had a duo character as a Xenoblade 2 rep and so far Noah seems to play almost exactly like Shulk (that might change as I progress).

My other reasoning is a bit more selfish because I want a different duo transform character in the next Smash in Alphen and Shionne from Tales of Arise. I think the Ouroboros is a really cool and unique way to represent two characters in one even if we have to stretch the flavor a bit to make it work.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, Noah and Mio as a switching character makes the most sense in isolation and I like both characters a good amount. The only issues are that we just had a duo character as a Xenoblade 2 rep and so far Noah seems to play almost exactly like Shulk (that might change as I progress).

My other reasoning is a bit more selfish because I want a different duo transform character in the next Smash in Alphen and Shionne from Tales of Arise. I think the Ouroboros is a really cool and unique way to represent two characters in one even if we have to stretch the flavor a bit to make it work.
hmm I dunno, Noah doesn’t really boost himself on the fly in the same way shulk does. As for the transformation, well I think it would have been better for a xenoblade 3 character than for 2. 2 should have had one character switching between two movesets. Perhaps not that different in practice but it still would have been something new. Just another missed opportunity with pythra

ah they stretch the flavour all the time I wouldn’t worry about it

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
I found this old collage by Geno Boost Geno Boost :
new_smash_bros__playstyles_ideas_by_genoforsmash_dbmuce9.jpg

And i wanna ask what character from each category (except the ones already in Smash or in the image itself), mines are:
  • Weather: Kracko
  • Transformer: Noah/Mio
  • Healer: Blissey
  • Size-change: Trevenant
  • Poisonous: Toxtricity
  • Extend: Lanky Kong
  • Digging: knuckles
  • Nintendo consoles: Blanc/White Heart
  • Cloning: Gemini man
  • Snake: Worm.io Worm
  • Sound: Callie and Marie
  • Liquid: Slime (Dragon Quest)
  • Shape-Shifter: the Battletoads
  • Gravity: Kat (Gravity Rush)
Your turn....

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Fanservice in games is a tricky thing. I think there are certain instances where (for better or for worse) its built into the core of the title/franchise and that do downplay it is to take a major part of its appeal away. On the other hand it can be detriment, especially when the tone the game is attempting to go for is completely undermined by half the cast being distractly underdressed that any real drama falls flat I actually think that the Bayonetta 3 route of having the option of how much skin is revealed is an effective compromise in making the fanservice like a condiment in a restaurant; something that's an option for those that want it but not forced on the would be customer either.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
View attachment 357800
And i wanna ask what character from each category (except the ones already in Smash or in the image itself), mines are:
Your turn....
Oh cool I do remember this if I had to update this I would probably remove the poison and liquid and extend fighter as we have them in ultimate now :ultjoker::ultpiranha::ultinkling::ultminmin

as for me now it’s
Weather: Mallow
Transformer: Ditto
Healer: Gill (street fighters)
Size-change: Toc-man
Digging: Grovyle (PMD)
Cloning: Ryu Hayabusa
Nintendo consoles: Nester
Snake: Rayquaza
Sound: Hatsune Miku
Shapeshifter: Smithy (SMRPG)
Gravity: Exdeath (Final fantasy)

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
View attachment 357800
Your turn....
This is pretty interesting. I don’t think I’ve really thought about characters with these specific criteria.
  • Weather: Air Man (Mega Man)
  • Transformer: Illidan Stormrage (WarCraft)
  • Healer: Shionne Imeris (Tales of Arise)
  • Size-change: Medusa (Kid Icarus)
  • Poisonous: Gengar (Pokémon)
  • Extend: Kotaro Fuma (Samurai Warriors)
  • Digging: Knuckles (Sonic)
  • Nintendo consoles: Captain N
  • Cloning: Ryu Hyabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  • Snake: Hydralisk (StarCraft)
  • Sound: Nikki (Chrono Cross)
  • Liquid: Glacius (Killer Instinct)
  • Shape-Shifter: Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
  • Gravity: Diablos (Final Fantasy)

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
every time someone says Black Knight could be an Ike echo, an angel loses their wings
Black Knight should be the Ganondorf to Ike's Captain Falcon.

And that's the criteria of what identify as a Video Game character.
It has to be from an IP that originated as a video game.

With all of the 3rd-party series that got one or more fighters in Ultimate, it is an absolute CRIME that Sonic does not have a second fighter.
It is honestly BAFFLING that Shadow wasn't an Echo...

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
so i hear kirby and the forgotten land has had one of the best launches in the series. just thought it was worth mentioning
Indeed.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 4.53M (+1.88M)
It's actually the second best selling game in the series! It's right behind the original Kirby's Dreamland, which sold over 5 million.

(this chart above is a little outdated btw, it's from June last month, hence why Forgotten Land's figures aren't updated yet).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I've got a question for everybody that I'm not sure has been asked yet. Is there a certain aesthetic for types of characters that you guys feel that Smash is lacking or would just like to see more of? To put it another way, what types of character designs stand out as your favorites, and do you feel that Smash could use more of a particular style of character? This is a completely separate question to whether a character is deserving or not and more just how much you like a character's visual design. Ideally, the character would both have an awesome design and be very deserving.

For me, I've always loved characters with a bit of an edge, but ones that still have a lot of style and color. I also really like nonhuman characters with a bit of a less cartoony tone. I feel like Smash is a bit lacking in both of these areas. I do really like Smash's current roster but I would personally love to see more characters along these lines.

To give you a better idea of the types of characters I'm talking about, here were two Fighter's passes I made a while ago of characters I'd love to see:

Fighters Pass 1.png
Fighters Pass 2.png

Here are some of my other favorite character designs in games:

1659531250929.png

1659531318718.png

1659531376242.png

1659531418106.png

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Word of warning to people I think certain Pokémon leaks just got confirmed
Thanks for that. I'm going to do my best to stay far away from anything Scarlet and Violet related on internet forums. I'm even a bit hesitant about watching official trailers now. Hopefully the Pokemon Company doesn't have the mind set of "Well, everything is leaked so we might as well show off every Pokemon officially". I know Wizards of the Coast has done that a few times when their Magic the Gathering sets were leaked months ahead of schedule.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm so glad that gyms are now going to be "any order". No, I don't hate linearity, but it was a long time coming letting us go straight to a gym without setting plot flags.

Speaking of, I hope that means they'll fully separate the "Gym Challenge" plot from the "Evil Team" plot. We should be able to put off either of the two if we want to keep each subplot well-paced.

Again, I don't hate linearity, but Pokémon had remained one of the biggest misusers of linearity since about Gen 3/4 up to this point.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Thanks for that. I'm going to do my best to stay far away from anything Scarlet and Violet related on internet forums. I'm even a bit hesitant about watching official trailers now. Hopefully the Pokemon Company doesn't have the mind set of "Well, everything is leaked so we might as well show off every Pokemon officially". I know Wizards of the Coast has done that a few times when their Magic the Gathering sets were leaked months ahead of schedule.
they never have before

Top Bottom