• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
How would you react if in the next game, we got two Splatoon newcomers, but those characters were Callie and Marie? Both characters would have unique movesets. Our Splatoon roster would look like :ultinkling: / Callie / Marie.
Pleased honestly. I'd much rather have one of the idol pairs than an echo Octoling tbh. Not that I'd be opposed to the latter but I'd be fine with upping the costume count and adding the Octolings as alts.

A Splatoon lineup of the Squid Sisters, Off the Hook and Deep Cut is what I'd personally like to see, though the series has moved too quickly for Smash to accommodate that. We'll likely have a Splatoon 4 either already out or on the horizon by the time the next Smash comes.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
How would you react if in the next game, we got two Splatoon newcomers, but those characters were Callie and Marie? Both characters would have unique movesets. Our Splatoon roster would look like :ultinkling: / Callie / Marie.
Then at that point, just get rid of the playable Inkling and stick with the Idols. Marie/Callie and then Marina/Pearl. Maybe Octavio too

Personally I would have the Playable Octoling and then Rival Octioling as the roster. Then the Great Zapfish as a surprise

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Just having the playable Inkling then just idols, not Octoling makes the latter stand out like a sore thumb not mention redundant.

Why not just have Idols inherit the Playable Inkling moveset instead?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just having the playable Inkling then just idols, not Octoling makes the latter stand out like a sore thumb not mention redundant.

why would the idols inherit the inkling moveset? are you saying we can only have one inkling character? that makes no sense

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I don't see how that's redundant at all. The Inklings are the literal playable characters and are 100% iconic and distinct from the idols. Plus, they're more of generalists as far as their weapons while the idols specialize in a specific type.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Because Callie and Marie are canonically shown to prefer splat rollers and rifles respectively.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Plus like, the Inkling in Smash uses a splattershot as their main weapon...a weapon type that literally none of the idols have as their main weapon. In fact, out of their entire moveset, a grand total of two attacks use weapon types that are the main weapons of idols: a Splat Roller for side special (Callie) and a Slosher for down smash (Big Man).

Chargers, Dualies, Brellas, Stringers, and Splatanas (for Marie, Pearl, Marina, Shiver, and Frye, respectively) aren't used at all.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To be honest, at that point I feel like Octoling would just inhabit half of Inkling’s costume slots while the two idols are developed as full fledged characters. I don’t think they would be absent from the game altogether in any scenario.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, same. That's the biggest reason why I'm not really on board with Impa, particularly her HW version.
Skull Kid, Midna, Vaati, Tingle, a Goron or a Zora character, even Rauru... Those capture Zelda's design style a lot better than HW Impa. It's hard to put into words but Zelda characters, even in the great variety of art styles the series has adopted, are usually slightly off in some way, they look very unique and give off "mysterious" vibes.
HW Impa has none of that, she's just a ninja warrior who could have come out from pretty much any fantasy-themed game.

Of course this doesn't apply to SS Impa. That one is extremely Zelda.
Hyrule Warriors 1 Impa you mean? Or Age of Calamity? Cause both have a very Impa look, original HW combined the designs of Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time basically. And Age of Calamity is Paya with a more fierce and protective personality.

They both aren't similar to Sheik in appearance either...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly if I had full control over who gets in as the next Splatoon character, I'd add Marina. Out of the idols I think she adds the most.

• She's an Octoling who's also a super popular, named character instead of a species.
  • The Brella as a weapon type is completely different from the Splattershot in appearance and use, being an umbrella that's also a shield that's also a shotgun, pretty much.
  • The associated Brella sub weapons like the Sprinkler and Curling Bomb are also super different from what Inkling uses, while the Triple Inkstrike is an easy Final Smash pull.
  • Her addition would finally give Smash an undisputably black character who isn't a pallet swap.
  • Given Inkling's heavy emphasis on Splatoon 1, Marina would give 2 and to a lesser extent 3 more spotlight.
  • She's funny and I like her.

The one elephant in the room would be the lack of her stubby gremlin gf, but...honestly if any series were to double dip on characters next time, I can easily see it being Splatoon.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Hyrule Warriors 1 Impa you mean? Or Age of Calamity? Cause both have a very Impa look, original HW combined the designs of Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time basically. And Age of Calamity is Paya with a more fierce and protective personality.

They both aren't similar to Sheik in appearance either...
I imagine he probably meant Age of Calamity but I’m not sure. Hyrule Warriors Impa is basically just a modified Skyward Sword design in the same way that Ganondorf is a modified Twilight Princess design in that game. I’d argue that SS and HW Impa are more similar than TP and HW Ganondorf. I do agree that AoC Impa doesn’t quite hit that same level of appeal to me. I loved her stoic attitude in HW and they took that away in AoC. I feel like we already had plenty of bubbly cheery girls in Smash, especially with the changes Ultimate made with Zelda herself. They both have a ton of great moveset potential though.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honestly if I had full control over who gets in as the next Splatoon character, I'd add Marina. Out of the idols I think she adds the most.

• She's an Octoling who's also a super popular, named character instead of a species.
  • The Brella as a weapon type is completely different from the Splattershot in appearance and use, being an umbrella that's also a shield that's also a shotgun, pretty much.
  • The associated Brella sub weapons like the Sprinkler and Curling Bomb are also super different from what Inkling uses, while the Triple Inkstrike is an easy Final Smash pull.
  • Her addition would finally give Smash an undisputably black character who isn't a pallet swap.
  • Given Inkling's heavy emphasis on Splatoon 1, Marina would give 2 and to a lesser extent 3 more spotlight.
  • She's funny and I like her.

The one elephant in the room would be the lack of her stubby gremlin gf, but...honestly if any series were to double dip on characters next time, I can easily see it being Splatoon.
pearl can be her recovery in her drone form

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In regards to the idols, they are all picks that excite me a lot because of the various ways you can go about it. I’ve been vocal about it for some time now but they are absolutely strong sleeper picks for next game.

My preference is for them to lean hard into their musical theming, abstractly using sound and equipment to combat opponents, but then you also have each idol’s favorite weapon type which would inform their kits uniquely. Even with how much of a spread Inkling can represent on their own, just whipping out the whole artillery, there’s definitely something to be said about honing in on one or two weapon types and doing as much with that as you can. Marina doing all sorts of umbrella antics, for example, would be great.

I prefer them to be added as a pair, whoever it is, as a happy medium between Ice Climbers and Pyra / Mythra. The synergy of a musical duo feels aptly represented this way, where the leader can be swapped out to the support (rhythm?) role and the characters can shift into more of an offensive or defensive gear. I’ve said it in the past but this is akin to how I would have expected Diddy / Dixie to work with technical limitations exempt. Nowadays it’s probably not as much of a problem, and I just think it’s a great way to represent the way a band needs to collaborate and share the stage.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I’d be super down with the Idols, my question is which group would it be?

And let’s be real it’s probably not going to be Deep Cut. We’re really looking at the Squid Sisters vs Off the Hook.

Callie and Marie are the most iconic duo, being the og idols and all. I could see them going with the classics.

Pearl and Marina are probably the most popular pair, though. And I could see them keeping the Squid Sisters as an AT while Off the Hook become full on fighters.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Maybe it’s just because I’m old but I never really got into most of the more modern Nintendo franchises and tend to stick to IP that’s been around since the NES or SNES. I’ve never played a Pikmin, Animal Crossing, or Splatoon game, for example. The same is true for ARMS and Ring Fit. Maybe I just need to branch out more. I usually prefer games with some kind of compelling story and characters but I still play the occasional platformer and other genres here and there. Even though I have no experience with Nintendo’s newer IP, I still think it’s cool that they get some representation in Smash since it helps celebrate the history of the company across all generations. Sorry for that random ramble that I’m not sure really had much a point lol.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I’d be super down with the Idols, my question is which group would it be?
I think Pearl and Marina do a better job emphasizing each other’s unique traits, in the team-up scenario that I alluded to convey a stronger visual language of small and scrappy vs cool and collected. I also kinda just like them more, but I have nothing against the Squid Sisters.

Squid Sisters have the perk of being relevant in every game in the series, and while Off the Hook had that DLC appearance recently it probably doesn’t beat being in the main campaign outright. That said, I feel like these two groups are of pretty comparable popularity so I don’t think fans would complain if they were passed over in favor of the more distinct option. I recognize the very real possibility of that series prevalence working in the Sisters’ favor though.

I think I am partially influenced by the optics as well. Adding a duo of characters who are both racially diverse and appeal strongly to the LGBT community is a really great win-win scenario for the roster. If we’re just weighing these two out on pretty much totally equal footing, this perk appeals to me because they are pretty much accomplishing the exact same thing otherwise. So at that point like, why not in my opinion.

Also, compared to Squid Sisters they are full-on “Switch era” characters. I don’t know if that really matters, but I like being able to add more characters like that. They’d distinctly be representing Splatoon 2 and as such a lot of ideas that weren’t able to be explored in Ultimate.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Maybe it’s just because I’m old but I never really got into most of the more modern Nintendo franchises and tend to stick to IP that’s been around since the NES or SNES. I’ve never played a Pikmin, Animal Crossing, or Splatoon game, for example. The same is true for ARMS and Ring Fit. Maybe I just need to branch out more. I usually prefer games with some kind of compelling story and characters but I still play the occasional platformer and other genres here and there. Even though I have no experience with Nintendo’s newer IP, I still think it’s cool that they get some representation in Smash since it helps celebrate the history of the company across all generations. Sorry for that random ramble that I’m not sure really had much a point lol.
no offence gengar but you sound really old

appeal strongly to the LGBT community
They do?

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
no offence gengar but you sound really old
He is on the older end of users, and that’s fine. I think it’s alright not to be interested in games past your gaming prime as long as you’re not dismissive or purposefully ignorant about it. Which Gengar regularly isn’t, and I appreciate that. He always seems willing to learn about and hear out new ideas.

I barely get to play games now as a 25 year old with a 9 to 5, so I can’t imagine he has the time to try and get into all those games as a 40 year old with even heavier responsibilities. Best you can do at that point is just listen to the people who know what they’re talking about, maybe learn something from it and then speak on what you do know.

I’ve spoken with people uninterested in Splatoon or Animal Crossing whose clear ignorance about the material has them making false claims and allowing this bias to influence what they deem is deserving or realistic. That kind of behavior is no fun to deal with so I’m grateful for those who are willing to respect the prospect regardless.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel like this is difficult to miss if you interact with the Splatoon community, but the latest DLC regularly teases at the idea of the two being in a relationship too.

I mostly phrased it this way because I doubt they will ever confirm their relationship outright, but they’ve done a lot to make how they feel about one another pretty clear. And whether it’s intended / canon or not, many gay and lesbian fans have taken to them and accept them as representation.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel really old too so that checks out lol.
So do I tbh

Yeah, they’re pretty much a thing. It’s as confirmed as it could be in a Nintendo game.
I feel like this is difficult to miss if you interact with the Splatoon community, but the latest DLC regularly teases at the idea of the two being in a relationship too.

I mostly phrased it this way because I doubt they will ever confirm their relationship outright, but they’ve done a lot to make how they feel about one another pretty clear. And whether it’s intentional or not, many gay and lesbian fans have taken to them and accept them as representation.
I see it’s fan shipping again

Last edited:

chinkuru

Smash Cadet
That is bull since he's loved way more in Japan, we just find him annoying. He was a fine comical weirdo in MM but everything after was just obnoxious wall towards progression in WW and a literal slave driver to his...brothers/friends? and in his own games is just a disturbing freak,

The Japanese know how to laugh at themselves, unlike the Americans.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’d love to see more diverse representation in Smash. Of course, that shouldn’t be the only reason for a character’s inclusion but I think it’s a big plus for any character that was already in consideration or has left a big impact. I actually didn’t know that about Pearl and Marina but that’s cool. That’s one reason I think it would be great to see Vi and/or Caitlyn from LoL in Smash. Vi is just an awesome character in general and is one of the main characters in Arcane alongside Jinx. I love the character regardless but representing the LGBT community is another reason I support her.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’d love to see more diverse representation in Smash. Of course, that shouldn’t be the only reason for a character’s inclusion but I think it’s a big plus for any character that was already in consideration or has left a big impact. I actually didn’t know that about Pearl and Marina but that’s cool. That’s one reason I think it would be great to see Vi and/or Caitlyn from LoL in Smash. Vi is just an awesome character in general and is one of the main characters in Arcane alongside Jinx. I love the character regardless but representing the LGBT community is another reason I support her.
Well the way I see it part of the problem is representation in high level gaming isn’t great to begin with. Even then the people of those communities may not be happy with the representation they do get

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Even then the people of those communities may not be happy with the representation they do get
That’s why I feel like Pearl and Marina are worth acknowledging within that conversation, because even if you perceive it as fan shipping these are characters accepted and embraced by the people who want this representation. At least in my experience my lesbian friends and people I’ve seen in the community associate much more with these two than I’ve ever seen them do with like… Tracer, or something.

So if they were added to Smash, if we can’t cite canonical representation we can at least confidently say that community would feel seen. Again it’s just a perk on top of a bunch of other things that make them cool, but their appeal in this circle is really strong.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Statistically, the likeliest way to get a newcomer that’s part of the LGBT-community is by adding a new Fire Emblem character.

As for Splatoon characters, I think Off the Hook is the best choice as a duo fighter. The Splat Charger class is impractical as a main weapon in Smash* and would awkwardly synergize with the much shorter range Roller. Combining the defensive-oriented Brella and the high-speed offensive Dualies lends itself better for a dynamic playstyle, especially since Pearl & Marina have different silhouettes so that Pearl can be treated as a bigger Luma if needed. Prominence-wise they’re the main idols in one of the three games and are supporting-verging-on-main characters in two DLC story modes.

*The exception of course being the Bamboozler, a short range sniper with powerful shots at the cost if having to charge the shots. The weapon could also be used as a cane-like sword and that’s right baby, this is a three-time veteran Cap’n Cuttlefish propaganda post.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
How would you react if in the next game, we got two Splatoon newcomers, but those characters were Callie and Marie? Both characters would have unique movesets.
Pissed about them taking 2 slots.

He is on the older end of users, and that’s fine. I think it’s alright not to be interested in games past your gaming prime as long as you’re not dismissive or purposefully ignorant about it. Which Gengar regularly isn’t, and I appreciate that. He always seems willing to learn about and hear out new ideas.
**** everything past the SNES!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
They should definitely not be. Rike should be an Echo at best and an alt costume at worst.
Are either of their River City Girls movesets similar to what they do in their main series? I thought Riki had a cool moveset in RCG 1 and 2. Kunio not quite as much but he did have Sweet Chin Music so that’s a plus.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I imagine he probably meant Age of Calamity but I’m not sure. Hyrule Warriors Impa is basically just a modified Skyward Sword design in the same way that Ganondorf is a modified Twilight Princess design in that game. I’d argue that SS and HW Impa are more similar than TP and HW Ganondorf. I do agree that AoC Impa doesn’t quite hit that same level of appeal to me. I loved her stoic attitude in HW and they took that away in AoC. I feel like we already had plenty of bubbly cheery girls in Smash, especially with the changes Ultimate made with Zelda herself. They both have a ton of great moveset potential though.
While I agree I think the main advantage Age of Calamity Impa has is summarized with more recency, more marketing, more story / lore importance in a way (advertised as such), Impa being hugely popular in the game due to move set and personality, and overall sales. Also thematically she'd fit in better with Champion Link, Demon King Ganondorf and, well we don't know much about Zelda yet of course.

I loved the original Hyrule Warriors and Impa is definitely more portraited in her typical sense, stoic and disciplined, definitely fitting her appearances in say, Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword, her role especially in the beginning is of huge importance. And I love both the move sets even if I like the Naginata a little better than Giant Sword (functionally better too and faster so that's why probably), but I think AoC Impa has the better shot.

In general I don't think there's all that much competition for a Zelda newcomer anyway. Impa seems pretty set in stone to me, unless they wanna include a Champion or Sage.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
While I agree I think the main advantage Age of Calamity Impa has is summarized with more recency, more marketing, more story / lore importance in a way (advertised as such), Impa being hugely popular in the game due to move set and personality, and overall sales. Also thematically she'd fit in better with Champion Link, Demon King Ganondorf and, well we don't know much about Zelda yet of course.

I loved the original Hyrule Warriors and Impa is definitely more portraited in her typical sense, stoic and disciplined, definitely fitting her appearances in say, Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword, her role especially in the beginning is of huge importance. And I love both the move sets even if I like the Naginata a little better than Giant Sword (functionally better too and faster so that's why probably), but I think AoC Impa has the better shot.

In general I don't think there's all that much competition for a Zelda newcomer anyway. Impa seems pretty set in stone to me, unless they wanna include a Champion or Sage.
There’s plenty of great options they could go with if the whole one-off thing isn’t actually a limitation. Pretty much the whole cast from Hyrule Warriors and Age of Calamity would make for really fun Smash characters. Then there’s other options like Rauru, Ganon or a reworked Ganondorf as well. If they feel the need to stick to recurring characters for whatever reason then I agree Impa’s easily the most obvious choice. I personally think the next Smash could have more than one unique Zelda character seeing as we haven’t had any since Melee.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There’s plenty of great options they could go with if the whole one-off thing isn’t actually a limitation. Pretty much the whole cast from Hyrule Warriors and Age of Calamity would make for really fun Smash characters. Then there’s other options like Rauru, Ganon or a reworked Ganondorf as well. If they feel the need to stick to recurring characters for whatever reason then I agree Impa’s easily the most obvious choice. I personally think the next Smash could have more than one unique Zelda character seeing as we haven’t had any since Melee.
I think it's a great chance to once again blow out on Zelda newcomers. Yes indeed. 3 games in a row and we haven't had anything notable. A separation of Zelda and Sheik and Young Link coming back through Everyone Is Here doesn't count.

I think Master Kogha is also an overlooked choice. He's been quite prominent as a villain. And I think there's a chance he and the Yiga might return in another game. The Sheikah will stay around for sure, I think the Yiga serve as a good rivalry to them.

Ganon I'd also really like. If they can pull him off of course. Impa and Ganon to me are definitely the front runners due to their seniority, longevity, reoccurring status and overall impact on the overall series. Fun fact about Impa and the word impact, that's where she got her name from according to Hyrule Historcia.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Re: Sploon

I'd be down for any of the idols but I don't think they should replace Inkling. Not fond of making them Icies style duo characters tho.

Re: Zaldo

Similarly, Zelda has so many choices, that at this point I just want them to pick one. Preferably several, but I know that's not realistic.

Top Bottom