• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Honestly if I had full control over who gets in as the next Splatoon character, I'd add Marina. Out of the idols I think she adds the most.

• She's an Octoling who's also a super popular, named character instead of a species.
  • The Brella as a weapon type is completely different from the Splattershot in appearance and use, being an umbrella that's also a shield that's also a shotgun, pretty much.
  • The associated Brella sub weapons like the Sprinkler and Curling Bomb are also super different from what Inkling uses, while the Triple Inkstrike is an easy Final Smash pull.
  • Her addition would finally give Smash an undisputably black character who isn't a pallet swap.
  • Given Inkling's heavy emphasis on Splatoon 1, Marina would give 2 and to a lesser extent 3 more spotlight.
  • She's funny and I like her.

The one elephant in the room would be the lack of her stubby gremlin gf, but...honestly if any series were to double dip on characters next time, I can easily see it being Splatoon.
This has unironically got me wanting Marina as a newcomer! Only problem is, I don’t know enough about Splatoon as a whole to come up with a moveset that does her Justice. With that said, I do have a rough idea of Marina’s specials based on some of the research I’ve done for her:
  • B: Brella
  • Side B: Ink Storm
  • Up B: Pearl Drone
  • Down B: Sprinkler

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as Tingle and audience responses, I think it just came down to a flavor of strange that worked in Japan as opposed to other regions, with some characters coming off as "good weird" to some and "bad weird" to others. If he were introduced now, I think North American and European would be more receptive, but I don't think he was necessarily ever going to be a Midna level phenomenon or how many various figures in the BotW/AoC/TotK trilogy have become so popular.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Remember, Nintendo thought it was okay to localize Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland for Europeans despite the demand to have it NOT released in America. There's a reason TV Tropes has a page that's called "Americans Hate Tingle", not "The West Hates Tingle".

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Remember, Nintendo thought it was okay to localize Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland for Europeans despite the demand to have it NOT released in America. There's a reason TV Tropes has a page that's called "Americans Hate Tingle", not "The West Hates Tingle".
Fair enough, though it is worth noting that later Tingle titles/apps ended up Japan only. Whether that's because Rupeeland's European sales weren't strong enough or because they simply wanted to focus on the Japanese audience it's hard to say. It could be that while Japan may have loved Tingle and Americans hated him, and Europe's market just liked him and possibly not to the degree where later releases with the character were considered worth localizing.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Aside from Skull Kid being my most wanted, it's hard for me to get on board with Impa because she's so inconsistent. Her most common appearance is a frail old lady who I just can't see in Smash. And because she's so inconsistent, it's hard to be attached to her.

Like, I love her in Skyward Sword, she's really cool in the First Hyrule Warriors, but I actively dislike her in Age of Calamity, she's a nothing burger in Ocarina of Time, and has the personality and appearance of a prune in Breath of the Wild. I'd probably be more on board if the different Impas were actually more alike, but right now it feels like you're still asking for a one off character. It's just a bunch of different one off characters who all happen to be called Impa.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly if I had full control over who gets in as the next Splatoon character, I'd add Marina. Out of the idols I think she adds the most.

• She's an Octoling who's also a super popular, named character instead of a species.
  • The Brella as a weapon type is completely different from the Splattershot in appearance and use, being an umbrella that's also a shield that's also a shotgun, pretty much.
  • The associated Brella sub weapons like the Sprinkler and Curling Bomb are also super different from what Inkling uses, while the Triple Inkstrike is an easy Final Smash pull.
  • Her addition would finally give Smash an undisputably black character who isn't a pallet swap.
  • Given Inkling's heavy emphasis on Splatoon 1, Marina would give 2 and to a lesser extent 3 more spotlight.
  • She's funny and I like her.

The one elephant in the room would be the lack of her stubby gremlin gf, but...honestly if any series were to double dip on characters next time, I can easily see it being Splatoon.
I was imagining that if we used one Idol, the other could be used as an assist character. Not quite a full duo character, more like a drop-in ally. Heck, Pearl gets to turn into a little drone and fly around in the DLC, right? They could easily use that to work her into Marina's kit

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While I'd love AoC Impa, I think you could probably do a decent amalgamation version of her between what we saw in Skyward Sword, Hyrule Warriors, and Cadence of Hyrule. An appearance similar to the former, the weapon options of Giant Blade/Naginata, and the evasion abilities from the latter is a solid enough starting point for her on top of being an interesting representation of two Zelda spin-offs. You could even throw in some shout outs to her OoT incarnation with her taunts having her briefly disappear and whistle Zelda's Lullaby.

Last edited:

Borskaboska

Smash Apprentice
...Do people still want Tetra?
I posted about tetra earlier in the thread. I think she'd be a good character to represent the toon games without having another link.
My main reason for supporting her is that her final smash could be putting the opponent in a barrel and launching them from a catapult.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
What new stages might people want to see (that don't necessarily have to be related to a particular character)?

To me, at least, even if I don't think there's a good Dark Souls character that'd work/be a good choice for Smash for one reason or another, It'd be cool to see Anor Londo (at least its dark souls 1 version) as a stage. Additional stages I'd think would be neat would be a Monster Hunter stage (especially if they keep a boss Rathalos around) and a Tetris stage.

I'd also think a proper Bowser's Castle stage is long overdue, though I don't think that's exactly an unpopular opinion.
Personally, I'm still willing to advocate for a Cruis'n stage. I don't even mind if it's basically just 'Big Blue, with normal luxury cars that can't fly'.

Other than that, I'd like Kirby to get the Wondaria Dream Parade or a Star Allies stage that teleports you between various planets or just Another Dimension.

Bowser's Castle is also long overdue.

If the Pilotwings stage isn't going to feature any content from Pilotwings 64, then I'd like a PW64 stage that either allows you to jump between the game's 4 islands (Holiday, Everfrost, Crescent (which would be the closest thing Smash would have to StarTropics representation), and Little States), and Mecha-Hawk would be a stage hazard on Little States.

Finally, I still think Dream Land GB should be retooled into a stage that incorporates WAY more Game Boy titles into it, well-known AND obscure alike (Tetris, For the Frog the Bell Tolls, Solar Striker, etc.). Kirby's Dream Land AND Super Mario Land would be among the games incorporated into the stage.

Goddamn. How many characters did they add in this patch?

Just like with Sukapon before him, Balloon Fighter getting added to this game is truly a glorious sight to behold! Honestly, I wonder if the Crusade devs would be willing to add Alice (from Balloon Kid) as alt. skin for Balloon Fighter, or at the very least, have her home town of Pencilvania be a stage.

Also, I've been wondering... would someone like Mona (from WarioWare) still be possible for Crusade or do they think 'Meh, Ashley's already here. We've got all the WarioWare we need'?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If we add an old wrinkly person to Smash. I want someone who can whack people with their cane. Sorry, no exceptions. Let me whack those no good younguns with my cane damn it. I miss the good ol' days where we had real discipline in the class rooms. None of this participation nonsense

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
If we add an old wrinkly person to Smash. I want someone who can whack people with their cane. Sorry, no exceptions. Let me whack those no good younguns with my cane damn it. I miss the good ol' days where we had real discipline in the class rooms. None of this participation nonsense
LOL! Sounds like something Cranky Kong would say.

And I personally want Cranky Kong to be playable in a Smash Bros. game one day.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think what helps is that Elderly Impa is rarely one to have a cane, and moreso is depicted as quite wise and has a badass background. She's more retired, but could clearly bring a very capable moveset that still includes her skills throughout the ages. Her age wouldn't make a difference in that regard. She's also sometimes really strong, but yeah, she has a lot of options. :) And inconsistent design, sure. But that's just a matter of finding what particular style you want her moveset to be, as it can easily be catered to her design moreso.

Borskaboska

Smash Apprentice
I think what helps is that Elderly Impa is rarely one to have a cane, and moreso is depicted as quite wise and has a badass background. She's more retired, but could clearly bring a very capable moveset that still includes her skills throughout the ages. Her age wouldn't make a difference in that regard. She's also sometimes really strong, but yeah, she has a lot of options. :) And inconsistent design, sure. But that's just a matter of finding what particular style you want her moveset to be, as it can easily be catered to her design moreso.
What about an impa that switches between old and young forms? Just like classic sheik

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
An old guy with a cane you say?

C3AEE092-6A6E-4C37-977D-ECAC8B4EA9CC.png

Glad to have another Cuttlehead on board.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It’s probably because I always have Smash on the brain but when I listen to music, I sometimes think about how cool it could be as Smash menu music. There are two specific songs I always think about Smash whenever I hear them:

Obviously these exact songs can’t ever be in Smash due to not originating from video games but something along the lines of either of them could be really cool. Am I the only one that thinks about Smash when listening to unrelated music? What type of song would you like to hear for the main theme and menu of the next game?

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
It’s probably because I always have Smash on the brain but when I listen to music, I sometimes think about how cool it could be as Smash menu music. There are two specific songs I always think about Smash whenever I hear them:

Obviously these exact songs can’t ever be in Smash due to not originating from video games but something along the lines of either of them could be really cool. Am I the only one that thinks about Smash when listening to unrelated music? What type of song would you like to hear for the main theme and menu of the next game?
Well, I was thinking that the next game's soundtrack could consist primarily of rock and jazz-funk music, so maybe the main theme and menu theme could sound something like this:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What about an impa that switches between old and young forms? Just like classic sheik
Wouldn't make much sense to do so. It's already hard enough coming up with a full and coherent moveset. Making two is a lot of extra work. Especially when Impa is much easier to just have one moveset that encompasses what she can do among multiple games. It only really worked with Zelda/Sheik due to being a unique gimmick at the time but also a very notable twist in OOT. Impa being able to time travel to elderly/adult isn't really a new concept to justify it. Nor is it a situation in which justifies it that well. Zelda didn't really have moves, and Sheik was easier to work within an archtype. So they had to struggle to make it work.

It's cool in itself, don't get me wrong. It could be really cool. But unless they can compliment each other as a concept in particular, not much reason. Especially since Impa has always had ninja-like skills, regardless of age. So it wouldn't exactly do much to make her stand out as two movesets that are highly different. Similar movesets can work as Transformations, sure, but there's context to why(Diddy and Dixie are actual partners in-game, and Pyra and Mythra has lore reasons for playing similar, but also being connected). Without going into spoiler territory, anyway.

Though if their entire battle style is completely unique? Sweet. That'd really make it fun. Alternatively, you could throw in Impaz, who is based upon Impa, for the elderly part just for the slightly different name to help change it up. Not that it matters much.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of old characters, I'd still love to see Heihachi get into Smash.
So, what's up with him, anyway? Before Kazuya was added, basically any time someone talked about Tekken getting into Smash, Heihachi was brought up, yet he wasn't the one chosen to be playable in the end. Is Heihachi the main character but Kazuya's more popular... or could Heihachi and Kazuya be main characters of different parts of the series... or what?

I know basically nothing about Tekken myself; just curious.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, what's up with him, anyway? Before Kazuya was added, basically any time someone talked about Tekken getting into Smash, Heihachi was brought up, yet he wasn't the one chosen to be playable in the end. Is Heihachi the main character but Kazuya's more popular... or could Heihachi and Kazuya be main characters of different parts of the series... or what?

Basically the Tekken series focuses on the three main Mishimas.

Heihachi, the eldest
Kazuya, Heihachi's son
Jin, Kazuya's son

Jin is the only decent one there. They all hate each other. Tekken could be adequately repped by any of them.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It still kinda blows my mind that Kazuya was basically never brought up in Smash Speculation despite being the protagonist of the first game. The focus was always on Jin or Heihachi.

Despite never really knowing he was, I think Kazuya makes a lot of sense in hindsight

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
exactly, they can just pick whatever design they feel suits the moveset they want to make. after all if TP and ALTTP zelda can have moves from OOT and ST then any impa can have the moves of any impa

toonito

Smash Ace
It still kinda blows my mind that Kazuya was basically never brought up in Smash Speculation despite being the protagonist of the first game. The focus was always on Jin or Heihachi.

Despite never really knowing he was, I think Kazuya makes a lot of sense in hindsight
I didnt see too much speculation on Jin or Kazuya for Smash they were distant possibilities in the community. Heihachi got the attention because of his popularity in Tekken as well as Sakurai directly mentioning that he was briefly considered for Smash 4.

Ultimate is really the 1st Smash game where multiple fighting game characters developed fanbases within the speculation community; prior to that speculation was very small and it boiled down to Ryu and to a lesser extent Heihachi.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman

Kazuya was the original protagonist of the very first game while Heihachi, his dad, was the antagonist. The big reveal in Tekken 1 is that Kazuya is just as bad as his father, with Tekken 2 flipping the roles so that Heihachi is the protagonist and Kazuya is the antagonist. Tekken 3 is set later and introduces Kazuya's son Jin as the main protagonist, with Heihachi as the villain again and Kazuya absent as he's believed to be dead. In every subsequent game, all three show up with equal focus, generally with Heihachi and Kazuya as villains and Jin as a protagonist who slowly gets more and more evil. In Tekken 7, Jin takes a more minor role narratively, and the story focuses on Heihachi and Kazuya settling their conflict once and for all.

The reason Heihachi was focused on specifically is because he's the only one of the three to show up in every single game in the series in a prominent role, has served as both main antagonist and as protagonist, and is the series's most iconic character who's used in most crossovers as the Tekken representative, Heihachi is essentially Tekken's mascot. All three are reasonable picks though because they're all important and iconic characters who have been the central protagonist at one point. In Tekken 8, which came out just recently, Heihachi was seemingly dead, so the main story focused entirely on Jin as the protagonist and Kazuya as the antagonist.

As Sakurai mentioned, Heihachi was the main consideration for Smash, but was ultimately passed on because Kazuya's moveset lent itself better to Smash's gameplay, so you can see Heihachi was still generally the number one pick in terms of just prominence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom