• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well that depends, because looking at the more recent titles Awakening came out in Japan in April 2012, Fates came out in Japan in July 2015 (so three years and some change), and then Three Houses had a simultaneous global release in July 2019 (four years, almost to the day). I don't doubt that COVID had some effect on Engage, I think that's been outright confirmed as far as I recall, but I'm not so sure about the whole two years thing. I know Heroes and Three Hopes and stuff are stuck in the middle there somewhere but I still don't think it comes out to two years typically.

EDIT just to cover my bases here since I looked this up at 4am: Further looking does put Fates (2015) to SoV (2017) to 3H (2019) at about that area, so that's probably it, but the Awakening to Fates gap is still there, so really there's no telling lol
For what it's worth the gap between Awakening and Fates can be explained by the fact that they had to make three games...and even then it only took an extra year lol. The two year gap is absolutely the standard. The only times in the history of the franchise where there was more than a two year gap between games were FE4-FE5 (three years, Thracia had a fairly tumultuous development due to Kaga leaving the company shortly after it was finished, plus the cancelled FE64 likely ate away some resources), Awakening-Fates (as mentioned above), and Three Houses-Engage (we know due to the files that Engage was complete in 2021 because it's timestamped, but COVID happened and delayed the release).

Every other game had no more than two years between them, and we know there was another game in the works at the time of Engage's release (due to the Iron18 code name in the files).

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm also not even certain that we'll get a Gen 9 Pokémon in the game, and if we do I don't think it's gonna be Meowscarada. Based on how he said he picked Greninja and Incineroar I actually think he'll go for Quaquaval instead.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm also not even certain that we'll get a Gen 9 Pokémon in the game, and if we do I don't think it's gonna be Meowscarada. Based on how he said he picked Greninja and Incineroar I actually think he'll go for Quaquaval instead.
I don't see how Incineroar and Greninja being picked over other starters equates to Quaquaval being more likely.

If we're going from patterns, wouldn't that make Meowscarada more similar to those two, being part Dark type?

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Oh yeah, wanted to mentioned I went back and revised this
View attachment 390031
Mainly I just wanted to go back and revise the ordering, since the previous one ended up a bit funky. While I was at it, I realized that Greninja was super popular and probably not someone I should risk cutting, and that the Sprigatito line was the new face of the Pokemon anime, so I reasoned they'd probably be the designated ScVi rep. It's sad to see Dracovish and Tinkaton go, but I feel this makes Pokemon's representation stronger overall.

Pokemon has been the biggest headache in making this roster, because A: All the Pokemon added have been pretty popular representatives of their generation (Short of Jigglypuff and Pichu, and even Jiggly has some defenders for being part of the OG 12), and B: The self-imposed five fighters limit (Minus Echoes) meant someone had to go regardless, so something had to give. It doesn't help that I've been kinda out of Pokemon lately, so I've been trying to remember exactly which Pokemon are the super duper marketable popular ones again
Do you have a folder with all those pngs if so how about you release that folder just like i did!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't see how Incineroar and Greninja being picked over other starters equates to Quaquaval being more likely.

If we're going from patterns, wouldn't that make Meowscarada more similar to those two, being part Dark type?
I think it comes down to moveset potential. He chose Greninja and Incineroar purely for their moveset potential when he had nothing but concept art to go off of. I think he'll do the same with Quaquaval. I think he'll see a lot of potential in a dancing-focused moveset the same way he thought of a ninja and a pro wrestler.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think it comes down to moveset potential. He chose Greninja and Incineroar purely for their moveset potential when he had nothing but concept art to go off of. I think he'll do the same with Quaquaval. I think he'll see a lot of potential in a dancing-focused moveset the same way he thought of a ninja and a pro wrestler.
It's really a toss up. All of the starters since Pokémon X/Y have had an archetype like this. Chesnaut's a warrior, Greninja's a ninja, Delphox's a mage, Decidueye's an archer, Primarina's an opera singer, Incineroar's a heel wrestler, Rillaboom's a drummer, Intelleon's a super spy, Cinderace is a soccer player, Meowscarada is a stage magician, Quaquaval is a dancer, and Skeledirge is a singer.

Also, assuming we're not picking from Gen 10, we're actually in a spot where we could take popularity into account. It could be something that isn't a starter at all. It could be the box legendaries because the games are built around them, it could be Pokémon #1000, Gholdengo, it could even be Tinkaton because people think it's neat.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Meowscarada's moveset potential gets undermined a bit by nature of being the most prominent choice. Smash doesn't have that many pure magic users, let alone a full on flashy magician character, and I think Meowscarada would bring with it a lot of glitzy spectacle. Utilizing illusions and trickery to disorient the opponent, planting flowery stage traps and bombs around the stage. I think it's kind of a natural fit and IMO the most compelling option out of the starters.

That being said, I really don't know that the timing will pan out. Pokemon in Smash is always looking forward and it's far too late for someone from Gen 9 to have been one of those pre-release concepts that Sakurai catches wind of, he'd probably be looking at early Gen 10 concepts now. Perhaps if Pokemon takes an extra year to put that game out or Sakurai simply wants two Pokemon characters we'd be more inclined to see a Gen 9 Pokemon, but the situation is uncertain for them at the moment. Which is a shame since this last batch does have some pretty neat ones (Meowscarada, Gholdengo, Ogerpon...).

Noipoi

Howdy!
Quick little side note, since we’re on the subject-

About three years ago around this date exactly, Legends Arceus (which had gameplay upon reveal and was immediately slated for early 2022) got its official release date of January 28th 2022.

Notice how Legends Z-A (which had no gameplay upon reveal and was just set for 2025, not early 2025) hasn’t had anything like that announced?

Weird. Almost like the game will release later into next year, which will coincidentally make it unfeasible for Gen 10 to launch in the exact same year.

Who could have predicted such events? :nifty:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Quick little side note, since we’re on the subject-

About three years ago around this date exactly, Legends Arceus (which had gameplay upon reveal and was immediately slated for early 2022) got its official release date of January 28th 2022.

Notice how Legends Z-A (which had no gameplay upon reveal and was just set for 2025, not early 2025) hasn’t had anything like that announced?

Weird. Almost like the game will release later into next year, which will coincidentally make it unfeasible for Gen 10 to launch in the exact same year.

Who could have predicted such events? :nifty:
Xatu

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I will say, who they pick will 100% depend on which comes first. If Super Smash Bros. is coming next year, then it's very likely unable to pick a Gen 10 Pokémon, though...There is precedent for Pokémon being seen before their game comes out. It's only happened with Togepi, Munchlax, and I think Bonsly, so I don't think it's super likely, but I suppose it is an option.

If it's coming out the year after that, Gen 10 is probably a lock. It's in their best interest to wait a year to put it out because people will be pissed if they put it out the same year as Pokémon Legends Z~A, but them waiting 2 years seems doubtful.

If it's coming out 2+ years after that Gen 10 is 100% a lock since it will already be out, or at the very least, be coming out at the same time.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I will say, who they pick will 100% depend on which comes first. If Super Smash Bros. is coming next year, then it's very likely unable to pick a Gen 10 Pokémon, though...There is precedent for Pokémon being seen before their game comes out. It's only happened with Togepi, Munchlax, and I think Bonsly, so I don't think it's super likely, but I suppose it is an option.

If it's coming out the year after that, Gen 10 is probably a lock. It's in their best interest to wait a year to put it out because people will be pissed if they put it out the same year as Pokémon Legends Z~A, but them waiting 2 years seems doubtful.

If it's coming out 2+ years after that Gen 10 is 100% a lock since it will already be out, or at the very least, be coming out at the same time.
I think the Gen 10 rep will be DLC and not base game due to timing issues.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think this is true, otherwise we would have gotten Cinderace or some other Gen 8 Pokemon in the Fighter's Pass.
I don't think they would rep a game most people don't even know exists in the base roster.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think this is true, otherwise we would have gotten Cinderace or some other Gen 8 Pokemon in the Fighter's Pass.
I forgot Gen 8 happened during SSBU. I do think Gen 10 will be a bigger deal than Gen 8 ended up being though, so we'll see.

I don't think they would rep a game most people don't even know exists in the base roster.
Wat?

For one he was talking about the previous game's DLC and for two...people don't know Pokémon Sword/Shield exists? Dexit was all over social media how would they not?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
sword and shield? the second best games in the series?
I was talking about Gen 10 and the possibility of it getting a fighter before it's even revealed, in the event that the next Smash game comes out in 2025 while Gen 10 doesn't come out until 2026.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I was talking about Gen 10 and the possibility of it getting a fighter before it's even revealed, in the event that the next Smash game comes out in 2025 while Gen 10 doesn't come out until 2026.
That's...not at all what they were saying.

You took a post that said Gen X wouldn't be guaranteed for DLC to mean "it will instead be guaranteed for base." That was absolutely not the intent.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

You took a post that said Gen X wouldn't be guaranteed for DLC to mean "it will instead be guaranteed for base." That was absolutely not the intent.
Oh sorry. I thought that was what they meant.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
I believe that a pokemon dlc will happen only once the community as a whole is convinced that it wouldn't happen at all. Yes, just like Byleth actually.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

The funny thing is, I said it would be a possibility since Pokémon has advertised upcoming gens like that before, though I still don't think it's super likely or anything.

EDIT: It seems to have happened a ton for Gens 2, 3, and 4, but calmed down for Gen 5, and Magearna has been the only one since then, though I am slightly skeptical of Bulbapedia's list since it feels like a lot of these appearances were ads for the gen in question, so of course there'd be new Pokémon in it.

Watch as Smash comes out in 2027 or something and this discussion doesn’t even matter
I'd say even a 2026 release date makes it highly likely that Gen 10 will be out in time for inclusion.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad the Pokemon fanbase is cultured enough understand the appeal of sharks. I may now die happy and satisfied

Yeah, Fire Emblem usually has a new game every two years (Sans the 3H-Engage gap, which would've fit the pattern had it not been for COVID), and Smash usually drops a couple years into a console's lifespan, with the roster itself settled about 2-ish years in advance. Hell, going off the pattern we'll may very well have a new Fire Emblem as a launch title for the next console, which seems like a prime setup for a new Smash rep. Poor Alear almost certainly missed the boat
Wouldn't be too sure.
It's likely Smash 6 releases around 2027 if the Switch 2 is 2025 (Wii was 2006 and Brawl 2008, WiiU was 2012 and 4 was 2014), thus making a FE game released in 2026 too early to get a character base game, Engage rep has not missed the boat in any way at all.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
In my opinion, whilst it is hard to predict or say which new Pokemon is going to be in the next Smash game, I guess we will eventually find out (once the new Smash game is revealed.)

The same can also be applied to whoever is (or if they are planning) going to be the next Fire Emblem representative (if there is a new entry in the works.)

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I'm sick of starters and I don't want the next new Pokemon character to be one. Greninja gets a pass because he ended up being really popular, Incineroar gets a pass because he's a very well-designed Smash Bros character, but both got lucky and could have easily fell flat had the circumstances been different.

I really feel like if we get another starter next game it'll be the one to get the short end of the stick and end up being the superficial flavor-of-the-month shill pick. For crying out loud people, each gen introduces around 100 new monsters... they really shouldn't only be taking three of them as candidates. Not saying they do, but it certainly feels like that sometimes.

Also the starter-centric discussion makes speculation incredibly boring. Tinkaton, Ogerpon, Annihlape, and Slither Wing are just flat out way more interesting than the fire/grass/water trio in gen 9. Can't even be bothered to remember their names.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I don't know if this is practical, but I honestly think a Pokémon specific ballot for Smash would be an interesting idea to gauge the broader interest for selections. Yeah, you'd have trolls voting for MissingNo and/or old schoolers rallying to get someone from Gen 1 or 2. However, even with that, seeing what Nintendo/Sakurai could practically do with what the fans went with would be fascinating.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't know if this is practical, but I honestly think a Pokémon specific ballot for Smash would be an interesting idea to gauge the broader interest for selections. Yeah, you'd have trolls voting for MissingNo and/or old schoolers rallying to get someone from Gen 1 or 2. However, even with that, seeing what Nintendo/Sakurai could practically do with what the fans went with would be fascinating.
I think that would be super cool...though I just realized that Eevee would probably win by virtue of being the only one with mascot status that isn't actually in the game (and is omega popular in its own right too).

Even so it would give us Eevee, and that would be super cool.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think that would be super cool...though I just realized that Eevee would probably win by virtue of being the only one with mascot status that isn't actually in the game (and is omega popular in its own right too).

and everyone would complain it’s another starter

Noipoi

Howdy!
This would be really cool. Though unless it was for dlc, they’d have to set something like this up near the beginning of the next Smash’s development wouldn’t they?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
and everyone would complain it’s another starter
I mean technically yeah, but like, it's Eevee. Sakurai explained why Greninja and Incineroar were chosen, but even then Eevee is kind of a weird omission. Without the hot new starter trend there'd probably be a fairly vocal audiance going "where Eevee?".

EDIT: Besides, a lot of the big fan favorites are also starters. There are contenders like Garchomp and Aegislash, but starters are going to be prominent regardless.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This would be stupid. There's only one Pokemon who could possibly win this, no sense beating around the bush.
1716830647008.png

Magcargo has the heart of the people and a valuable spot on the horse council.

SPEN18

Smash Champion

Well not necessarily since on polls votes get split between Eevee itself and its evolutions, so it would depend on how they choose to handle vote-splitting in general among mons in the same evolution chain. In this respect Eevee is kind of the specialest of special cases. That said, if you look at the 2020 poll as an example of such effects, it's pretty insane how Eevee itself still managed to garner almost 50K votes in spite of all the votes going to its various evolutions, with two of those making top 10 and a few others pushing 20-30K votes. It's possible that on a Smash-oriented poll the community would be able to consolidate the votes at least to some extent, but it would be interesting to see for sure.

Top Bottom