• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Using the Music, the Logo, and the specific assets are all different things.

A stage might not be an idea they found workable yet, either.

I would love a Tetris Stage, though.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A Tetris stage almost feels like one of those crazy levels circa Melee that we got in some alternative universe somewhere that was also banned/disliked by the competitive crowd but was always a big hit for casual players. Like that was the stage where you fought and unlocked Dr Mario and you had debates for years afterward about people wanting him to get his own stage vs those that thought the Tetris level fit him just fine.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
What they mean is that all the really big sports titles on a worldwide scale are licensed games like FIFA and NBA2K. All those games use real teams and players.
yeah

putting in powerpros character or inazuma eleven would just be weird, sports are such a global thing but then here comes a game nobody cares about outside of japan, and even in japan its dead, or just kinda popular

thats the problem with level 5 in general, all their ip's are dead, yeah they confirmed a bunch of them are coming back but we still don't know if they will actually sell well enough to revive or if its a desperate last attempt by a failing company,

i still think layton deserve it anyway but like

if we're doing puzzle characters tetris character makes more sense, add in the T block or smth

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
in terms of smash yeah, bayonetta turns naked to fight, thats much worse than guy with realistic guns which already exist in game, if snake can get in gta can no problem.
1000001121.jpg

......there's just so much to unpack here that it's hardly worth an effort.

The big "gotcha" is Snake because "realistic firearms".....when he doesn't even use said firearms in Smash, and Metal Gear being a completely different kind of franchise than Grand Theft Auto.

We're still talking about featuring content from Grand Theft Auto. One would think saying the title of the franchise alone would be enough of a red flag for the wacky wahoo Nintendo fighter with everything associated with it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
why?

i cant be incorrect when the statements are fact,

sonic games don't sell like they used to, sonics biggest game in decades only managed around 3.5mil as of may 2023 sonics around the same level as pikmin
its a series with a strong legacy that could use a newcomer and definitely needs some upgrade cause its representation is awful
but its not like a void thats unfilled, eggman would be cool (and a much better inclusion to rep the series than shadow imo)

last thing sonic needs is an echo fighter, ball 2, im honestly surprised they never touched up sonic after he was very clearly rushed for brawl.
I think the Big thing with Sonic as a Franchise is that it's one of those Franchises that are bigger than the Actual Games would lead you to believe, especially with the Movies, but things like Mobile, TV, Merchandise, etc.

So Even if people don't buy the Games themselves to push Sales to like 10+ Million, There's so many ways to Enjoy Sonic, and I think the World of Sonic is too cool that I think everything evens out. Not Too many Franchises can survive having a 06 or Sonic Boom and live to tell the tale

But with that being said, I actually agree that a 2nd Sonic Character isn't actually necessary to be honest, and I say this as Someone that Needs Shadow to be Playable in the game. But I think it would make the Next Smash a Cooler game, and I think that's important.

I also Don't think there's too many Characters that NEED to be in Smash. I think it's like Resident Evil and Monster Hunter if they could make characters from those Franchises work as Playable Characters, Master Chief if they get Microsoft Down with the idea, and then Stuff like Fortnite, Apex, League, if they want to expand their audiences beyond the reach of Smash. And then of course a New Pokemon.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I'd like to have at least one nod to Double Dribble by Konami, though fingers crossed we get the songs from the NES's soundtrack and not the arcade's given what it's in the latter...

People who cannot appreciate the glory that is The Star-Spangled Banner (Forma de Bitcrushed) are no friends of mine

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
There SHOULD be a Tetris stage. It's literally one of the most iconic games ever and it's had content in this series since Brawl. It makes all the sense in the world to have playable content.

... But then I think of stages like 75m, Mario Bros. and Hanenbow and I really start to question whether or not it's something people would really want to play on more than a couple of times. There's, like, NO WAY that stage doesn't end up being a complete and total cluster**** lmao.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
There SHOULD be a Tetris stage. It's literally one of the most iconic games ever and it's had content in this series since Brawl. It makes all the sense in the world to have playable content.

... But then I think of stages like 75m, Mario Bros. and Hanenbow and I really start to question whether or not it's something people would really want to play on more than a couple of times. There's, like, NO WAY that stage doesn't end up being a complete and total cluster**** lmao.
do a tetris character then, it can work somehow.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Simple solution, make the pieces fall on stage like you'd expect, but they function as soft platforms instead of hard platforms, with the "main blocks" of the pieces landing in the background while the top parts of them stick out for people to fight on.

Quick 3D mockup of what I mean:

1711586211579.png
1711586244960.png
1711586286626.png

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
My idea for a Tetris stage is something that goes like this:
  • The Tetriminos only occasionally drop from a random part of the top of the screen
  • The Tetriminos never actually reach the top
  • If a line is cleared at the bottom, you can potentially use this to your advantage and gimp opponents

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I think the Big thing with Sonic as a Franchise is that it's one of those Franchises that are bigger than the Actual Games would lead you to believe, especially with the Movies, but things like Mobile, TV, Merchandise, etc.

So Even if people don't buy the Games themselves to push Sales to like 10+ Million, There's so many ways to Enjoy Sonic, and I think the World of Sonic is too cool that I think everything evens out. Not Too many Franchises can survive having a 06 or Sonic Boom and live to tell the tale
sonic was one of the first to push multimedia that i can agree, but the same goes for everyone game franchise, except sega used to say that sonic sold 800 million that year with no context so it was easier to see. how much that other stuff sold.

anyway this just pushes resident evil more, 1.2bil at the box office baby multimedia empire.

though idk if going of plushie sales and movie tickets is a good thing for smash.

all games are bigger than they seem, not every sale is 1-1 for people playuing it, reselling, youtube and twitch, people sharing a console or borrowing their firiends games are all there, so in terms of relevance pure sales aren't the best measurement.

but I do think they reflect how many people are willing to go beyond buying plushies and actually buy the game.

either way sonic needs a serious second look and dr. robotnik would be a great character to add in for the old fans back when he was up there with bowser
or they could do dr eggman for more modern fans, idk which they do if he got added.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I have a thought, maybe we also need characters that are from sports video games even though I don't like sports, i.e. football, baseball, basketball, skiing, snowboar, volleyball, tennis, etc. Although we already have Little Mac from the Punch-Out series, we might need others like Power Pro-kun from the Power Pros, Mark Evans from the Inazuma Eleven series, Ryota Hayami from the Wave Race series, and Kensuke Kimachi and Ricky Winterborn from the 1080° series.
The only sports game I want represented is Tecmo Bowl.

Because reasons.

We can get new things without having to throw out the old.
Everywhere is Here!

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
View attachment 387066

The big "gotcha" is Snake because "realistic firearms".....when he doesn't even use said firearms in Smash, and Metal Gear being a completely different kind of franchise than Grand Theft Auto.

We're still talking about featuring content from Grand Theft Auto. One would think saying the title of the franchise alone would be enough of a red flag for the wacky wahoo Nintendo fighter with everything associated with it.
i thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about what snake had, but sure, discouting snake
joker does use realistic guns anyway

bayonetta also wouldn't be a good fit for Wacky wahoo Nintendo fighter yet here she is, all they had to censor was her dancing naked, so kiddy.

the series has grown beyond that and GTA is the second most popular video game in the world behind minecraft, there's no shortage of kids and teens playing it and every company knows that even if they pretend they don't , whether you find that bad or not the only real issue is the rating boards, and if they got bayo, joker, pyra, mythra and snake past that they could do trevor or lucia just as easily.

or thye could jsut do the copout, X lucia or x trevor and not X Grand theft auto, or they can argue for GTA if they really dont want to put that effort in to get the full series name

theres nothing actually stoping them just hurdles to get around they already did with many other characters. and same way snake doenst use realistic pistols (even though joker does) nieither do the gta characters have to, theres a lot more to gta than pistols.

it wouldnt even be that bad of representation compared ot kingdom hearts, they didnt want to use half of the franchise but they still went ahead and did it anyway no matter how awful of a representation it is for the series.

if they want it they can do it.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I have a thought, maybe we also need characters that are from sports video games
I'm still waiting on that Wii Sports moveset for the Miis

The aforementioned Excitebiker and Ryota Hayami would double as sports game reps.

In addition to Little Mac, Duck Hunt could also count among existing characters.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Honestly recently I have kinda been wanting more unique and dumb bull**** stages like 75m and Hanenbow but like more refined

I liked a lot of the stages in the Fighter's pass and loved a few of them even (KOF stadium my beloved) but I feel like they kinda played it safe with the gameplay. Spiral Mountain is the only one that I think gets pretty wacky, But at the cost of Motion Sickness.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
And Nintendo already publishes/has Glory of Heracles in Smash. Maybe next time they can get at least some nod.
Man, IDK if it's my inner mythology fan talking, but I've always been curious about Glory of Heracles. Could hardly find any info on it, though...

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Man, IDK if it's my inner mythology fan talking, but I've always been curious about Glory of Heracles. Could hardly find any info on it, though...
There was at least one released outside of Japan, but I think it's like the 6th game in the series. You can probably find a copy online, albeit at a higher price from the original release (probably 60-70 USD by now.) Or use a DS emulator.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I have a thought, maybe we also need characters that are from sports video games even though I don't like sports, i.e. football, baseball, basketball, skiing, snowboar, volleyball, tennis, etc. Although we already have Little Mac from the Punch-Out series, we might need others like Power Pro-kun from the Power Pros, Mark Evans from the Inazuma Eleven series, Ryota Hayami from the Wave Race series, and Kensuke Kimachi and Ricky Winterborn from the 1080° series.
A cool character I have in mind is the protagonist from Golf story and it's sequel Sports story. His moveset could focus on Golf, but it could also take elements from Disc golf, Bowls, Volleyball, Tennis, BMX and Soccer. Could be a fun take on the sports gimmick since most other games focus only on one sports.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I still think Tetris should be an assist trophy where the blocks can be summoned to fall in a random spot on any stage.
I was thinking this too, this would be cool

So on Shadow
I agree that he should have some of his chaos powers in his moveset, but i think they should also keep Sonic's homing attack and spindash in the moveset since Shadow has those moves too.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
This is the first thing that came to my mind when I think about a Nintendo racing rep for Smash. Mario Kart doesn’t have any original characters so it might be weird to use any specific character as a rep for the series.

View attachment 387055
My God, HOW could I have forgotten about F-Type???

I literally had the idea that it could be Smash Bros.'s answer to the Hornet from Fighters' Megamix. What's more, Sakurai might already have a base for its moveset.

In addition to borrowing stuff from the Hornet (like having its 'pummel' be it rolling one of its tires on an opponent), F-Type might just be able to borrow stuff from EarthBound's Devil Car enemy from Smash Run, such as bum-rushing opponents, stunning opponents with car exhaust, and perform a leaping tackle.

I've had some folks like that in mind for sometime now.
Ryota Hayami from Wave Race
Kensuke Kimachi/Ricky Winterborn/Akari Hayami from 1080
The Volleyball Player from... Volleyball (someone here on S.B. legit made a moveset for her that was heavily inspired by Natsu Ayuhara from Capcom's Rival Schools games)
The Ice Hockey team
Fighter Hayabusa and/or Starman from Pro Wrestling
Power Pro-kun
The Switch Sportsmates (Let's be real, I don't think the Miis are going to be sports reps at this point, so...)

And Nintendo already publishes/has Glory of Heracles in Smash. Maybe next time they can get at least some nod.
If I remember correctly, both Heracles himself and Icarus already have Spirits in Ultimate, don't they? Heck, I think the Glory of Heracles main theme has been in Smash since Smash 4.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
View attachment 387066

Realistic firearm isn't issue at all. ESRB rating of Smash Ultimate specifically mentions firearm. And before you say they don't mean 'realistic' firearm, there is no content descriptor for realistic firearm. Heck, there isn't any of this in other game rating agency.

GTA won't get fighters because characters themselves are really generic design. Same for COD. I don't think they even Sakurai can work around generic design.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Realistic firearm isn't issue at all. ESRB rating of Smash Ultimate specifically mentions firearm. And before you say they don't mean 'realistic' firearm, there is no content descriptor for realistic firearm. Heck, there isn't any of this in other game rating agency.

GTA won't get fighters because characters themselves are really generic design. Same for COD. I don't think they even Sakurai can work around generic design.
You completely missed the entire point of what was being said.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
No that proves my point is right?

my whole point it’s they can censor the hell out of it. And it’ll be okay to put in.
It's not so much their ability to censor and more of a reluctance to be associated with the brand so directly. I don't think it's a complete impossibility mind you, but I could definitely see Nintendo being reluctant/simply not wanting their characters side by side GTA content in the same game. It's doable but likely on a very low rung of the priority ladder.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
It's not so much their ability to censor and more of a reluctance to be associated with the brand so directly. I don't think it's a complete impossibility mind you, but I could definitely see Nintendo being reluctant/simply not wanting their characters side by side GTA content in the same game. It's doable but likely on a very low rung of the priority ladder.
Howard Lincoln and Yamauchi aren’t in charge anymore, GTA would be right up there with Nintendo’s current MO if they could get it or it in smash somehow.

I wrote a long paragraph explains why but it wasn’t necessary, the long and short is the for kids image screwed them over mostly because of Howard lincoln who was the one making that image for the west anyway, and led to the failure of the n64 and GameCube, ever since the Ds Nintendo has been trying to look more hardcore while keeping casual elements but that never really worked until the switch, as the hardcore stuff never sold super well on ds or wii and despite revealing wii u as a hardcore system with hardcore mature titles, well the Wii u happened and the switch kinda miraculously did everything right.

it’s not relevant but pretty cool to read up on how Nintendo used to be in the industry when lincoln and yamuichi were in charge, they were incredibly awful and threw away all the success they got it’s incredible

either way I doubt Nintendo really cares about the image of gta crosses over, it would only be a positive thing for viral marketing really, same way as sephiroth stabbing Mario was.

it would defintly help change their image more to nitnedo is for everyone not just kids, which has been constant since the DS got an exclusive gta game fun enough.

I just don’t think it’s super unlikely, def not basegame but as dlc I can for sure see Lucia in the next game for example, time it with a gta6 down port. And that’s just printing money.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
GTA has a similar issue to Resident Evil, I'm sure they can tone a character down if they want, but I'm not sure what they'd do that's particularly exciting in the context of Smash.

Personally, I'd be more partial to a Red Dead Redemption character.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
GTA has a similar issue to Resident Evil, I'm sure they can tone a character down if they want, but I'm not sure what they'd do that's particularly exciting in the context of Smash.

Personally, I'd be more partial to a Red Dead Redemption character.
I’d love to see a character like Nemesis in Smash if they can somehow make him work within the age rating. I just think a zombie makes a much more interesting rep for a horror game like Resident Evil than a police officer.

Top Bottom