• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Chris and Jill from Resident Evil are coming to fortnite very soon.

Hopefully, next time Nintendo makes a collaboration with Capcom to include more RE content. Don’t even mind if they make a good deal with them to include much more content like:

• Resident Evil full representation (fighter, stage, music, spirits).
  • Chun-Li to include a female fighting rep. She can include various mechanics from other SF games and be much more complex than Ryu/Ken.
  • More Monster Hunter content. If they can’t include the Hunter itself, put a stage (from Rise) more music, spirits and another monster as boss/AT like Magnamalo (face cover of Rise and being a ground monster would complement well with Rathalos).
  • Promote Arthur to AT to please retro fans.
  • Include either Devil May Cry or Ace Attorney full representation. They both have lots of demand for smash.

• Capcom has grown a lot these past years, with Square-Enix they are the biggest japanese publishers.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Heavy doubt.

I also don't expect, if this leak is real, which I already doubt, that it'd add up to much.

It feels like everyone wants a piece of the Smash pie, but without the absolute juggernaut combo of Sakurai + Nintendo behind it, they just fall short.

I'm not trying to throw shade at NASB, I really do want the game to succeed, but it's.... rough, and it needs a lot of work.
NASB does not have much production values due to the lack of budget, as Nickelodeon doesn't put much budget into their Licensed games

I will say that in this case, Warner Bros and Netherrealm are Companies that put in the Production values into their Fighting games. It's a Main reason how Mortal Kombat managed to become the Best-Selling Fighting game Franchise due to what NetherRealm did with MK9-MK11.

In this hypothetical case where the game is Real, It won't have as many characters since it's just starting out, but that doesn't mean it will fall short in all aspects. Stuff like the Single Player, Cosmestics, Gameplay, other extraneous features, etc would definitely be able to carry it

The thing I have to say though is that since it's a New I.P and new idea for Warner Bros and Netherrealm to tackle, it would carry a degree of risk for the game, where doing Injustice 3 and Mortal Kombat 12 would be safer since those Franchises are already proven. at the same time though, Netherrealm has experience working with Guest Fighters and Fighting games in general, so there's that edge there

While Smash does have sort of a Monpoly on the Crossover Fighter and/or Platformer fighter genre, there are some blindspots that a Number of Companies can take advantage of

-Smash is only on Nintendo Platforms, and will continue to be on Nintendo Platforms. PC, Xbox, and Playstation are ripe for the taking. (you could even add Mobile to this as well)

-With Nintendo and Sora LTD being Japanese Based, it's really hard to negotiate with Western Companies to a degree, while it would be easier for more Western Based Companies to negotiate with each other

-Smash shows no sign of going into I.Ps that have origin in Media outside of Video games. There's alot of Iconic characters barred from Smash due to this (though I know largest part of it is the Licensing)

There's also the fact that Sakurai might not be Smash's Director forever. He himself said he only has a Few games left in him, and while I'm sure he will be on Development for Smash 6, I'm not sure about the future of the franchise, which means that Nintendo will have to contend with that fact as much as other Companies already have to

and on that same token, Sakurai isn't the only person capable of Directing a Crossover fighter to success. He's just really the only proven person, but there's many people out there, that might be on his Level, or even surpass Sakurai's Level of Directing

Warner Bros is a Company I think that could take advantage of the Blindspots listed. They have the resources, the I.Ps and the Pedigree to make it happen. Sony (Again), Microsoft, and Disney are also major competitors in this department. Even Jump Anime could make a killing in this field.

I think Nintendo themselves know that while they have the Genre on lock, There's a good chance it won't be forever. That's why I think they gonna put in all they have while they are still King, because it's possible that throne is ripe for the taking in the future

SNEKeater

Smash Master
This made me think of my old idea for a Sheriff redesign. I was thinking about how Pit basically got reinvented for Brawl and if that could happen for any other characters. After thinking about it, I've come to my conclusion. If any character got a complete redesign, I'd want it to be Sheriff.

Sheriff is an important game but the main character looks like this.

You can't make this a fighter no matter how hard you try. Even Mr. Game & Watch had more animations you could borrow from. You're going to need some creative liberties.

So, imagine this...

Sheriff being one of Nintendo's oldest characters, should reflect that. Make him old. He could be an old grizzled cowboy. Maybe in his fifties, with gray hair and beard and an old beat up hat. Something along the lines of this.

He's a legend with a revolver and has so much gunfighting experience that he makes Samus, Mega Man and Joker look like amateurs. He could be a precision zoner that focuses on sniping and trick shots. He could fully aim his pistol (without a laser sight) to hit opponents at impossible angles and could even use ricochets as a method to change each bullet's properties. If we want to jump fully into the wild west theme, we could even include things like a horse, a cover mechanic, dynamite and tumbleweeds. There's a lot of untapped potential here.

Smash has a lot of zoners and projectile focused characters, but it has yet to have a true precision based zoner. The closest thing we have is Palutena Bow and Silver Bow, but those moves don't define the Pits' playstyles. Sheriff is an all around great choice for a retro rep and I wish more people talked about him.

TLDR: Put a gun toting cowboy in Smash.

And then put this cowboy in for good measure.

Cowboys are cool.

This is actually a dope idea in my opinion.
A cowboy is a type of character Nintendo doesn't really have nowadays, so that would fill a small niche in a way (like Link being the fantasy hero, Samus being sci fi bounty hunter, Pit being an angel, etc), which would be nice.

Also helps that I think you've explained very well. Maybe, like with Pit and Kid Icarus, that would translate into a new game. Though I guess Nintendo would give the guy a proper name. I don't think he has one.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
We're posting our personal Fighter's Passes? Well...

...Apparently I can't attach the regular image from my computer. Too big, maybe?
I'm a simple man. If I see Mortal Kombat or Killer Instinct, I like.

But you have both, so it makes me wish there was a double like feature :4pacman:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm a simple man. If I see Mortal Kombat or Killer Instinct, I like.

But you have both, so it makes me wish there was a double like feature :4pacman:
I wasn't able to do a better Sveta image, but otherwise, it went well.

And yeah, I wish we had something from them. A costume, even a Spirit... KI getting nothing is more surprising, considering we got a Rareware character. Albeit, I get why(KI was pretty much not in Japan at all, whereas Mortal Kombat did show up there, though not for very long), but it still sucks.

What is worth noting that this was done with "this particular character(or version of a character) lacks a spirit. It aged well, amirite?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
NASB does not have much production values due to the lack of budget, as Nickelodeon doesn't put much budget into their Licensed games

I will say that in this case, Warner Bros and Netherrealm are Companies that put in the Production values into their Fighting games. It's a Main reason how Mortal Kombat managed to become the Best-Selling Fighting game Franchise due to what NetherRealm did with MK9-MK11.

In this hypothetical case where the game is Real, It won't have as many characters since it's just starting out, but that doesn't mean it will fall short in all aspects. Stuff like the Single Player, Cosmestics, Gameplay, other extraneous features, etc would definitely be able to carry it

The thing I have to say though is that since it's a New I.P and new idea for Warner Bros and Netherrealm to tackle, it would carry a degree of risk for the game, where doing Injustice 3 and Mortal Kombat 12 would be safer since those Franchises are already proven. at the same time though, Netherrealm has experience working with Guest Fighters and Fighting games in general, so there's that edge there

While Smash does have sort of a Monpoly on the Crossover Fighter and/or Platformer fighter genre, there are some blindspots that a Number of Companies can take advantage of

-Smash is only on Nintendo Platforms, and will continue to be on Nintendo Platforms. PC, Xbox, and Playstation are ripe for the taking. (you could even add Mobile to this as well)

-With Nintendo and Sora LTD being Japanese Based, it's really hard to negotiate with Western Companies to a degree, while it would be easier for more Western Based Companies to negotiate with each other

-Smash shows no sign of going into I.Ps that have origin in Media outside of Video games. There's alot of Iconic characters barred from Smash due to this (though I know largest part of it is the Licensing)

There's also the fact that Sakurai might not be Smash's Director forever. He himself said he only has a Few games left in him, and while I'm sure he will be on Development for Smash 6, I'm not sure about the future of the franchise, which means that Nintendo will have to contend with that fact as much as other Companies already have to

and on that same token, Sakurai isn't the only person capable of Directing a Crossover fighter to success. He's just really the only proven person, but there's many people out there, that might be on his Level, or even surpass Sakurai's Level of Directing

Warner Bros is a Company I think that could take advantage of the Blindspots listed. They have the resources, the I.Ps and the Pedigree to make it happen. Sony (Again), Microsoft, and Disney are also major competitors in this department. Even Jump Anime could make a killing in this field.

I think Nintendo themselves know that while they have the Genre on lock, There's a good chance it won't be forever. That's why I think they gonna put in all they have while they are still King, because it's possible that throne is ripe for the taking in the future
Not really... Smash is always going to print cash so in the near future obviously not. In anything past that though... That kinda depends... If people start to get fed up of smash if it doesn't introduce many new things, then I'd imagine that would also represent the platform fighter genre in general.. If we start talks about them turning 3D or what have you, that's a completely different genre so that's of course not the point. If interest is lost in smash, which isn't happening ATM obviously, then I'd imagine it'd represent a decline in platform fighters in general. I can't see how any new mechanics that could be introduced in another platform fighter, or even any number of them, that would suddenly gain more traction than smash, without us getting into a different genre entirely, which kinda shows how Nintendo are probably always gonna be at the top of it when it comes to smash.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Chris and Jill from Resident Evil are coming to fortnite very soon.

Hopefully, next time Nintendo makes a collaboration with Capcom to include more RE content. Don’t even mind if they make a good deal with them to include much more content like:

• Resident Evil full representation (fighter, stage, music, spirits).
  • Chun-Li to include a female fighting rep. She can include various mechanics from other SF games and be much more complex than Ryu/Ken.
  • More Monster Hunter content. If they can’t include the Hunter itself, put a stage (from Rise) more music, spirits and another monster as boss/AT like Magnamalo (face cover of Rise and being a ground monster would complement well with Rathalos).
  • Promote Arthur to AT to please retro fans.
  • Include either Devil May Cry or Ace Attorney full representation. They both have lots of demand for smash.

• Capcom has grown a lot these past years, with Square-Enix they are the biggest japanese publishers.
It's less that Capcom is one of the bigger Japanese publishers and more that Capcom just has a lot of popular IPs and characters in general. Like not just Street Fighter, Mega Man and it's spin-offs, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry and Ace Attorney, people would probably be pretty good with Ghosts'n Goblins, Okami, Darkstalkers, Strider Hiryu, Dead Rising, etc.
Like if there's any company with a lot of fan demanded and popular reps, Capcom is more than likely the king at the top.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The issue is though, it's as you've said, Sakurai's the only one who's proven himself.

Sakurai's name carries a lot of weight behind it, which is why companies are probably more likely to work with him than some other studios.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I’m super late on this (like 5 or 6 pages back since I don’t check in here a lot lmao) but

Even if Namco doesn’t co-develop the next game, I feel like Pac-Man is iconic enough to come back. I mean really, who doesn’t know Pac-Man? I’m pretty sure my grandpa knows Pac-Man and he’s in his 90s.

Kazuya, I’m not sure, but I feel pretty safe on Pac-Man either way.

Anyway, uh, back to shilling Reimu, Bandana Dee, and a Rhythm Heaven character while hoping that somehow Starfy gets the AT upgrade.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I expect Ryu Hayabusa to be the next Mega Man or Simon Belmont; a well-known third-party character from the NES era that deserves to be in Smash. So I expect support for him to increase a lot.

But hopefully, he won't be the only one. Billy and Jimmy Lee fit that too, so I hope they also get a lot more support for the next game.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I feel like if the company is willing to come back, Nintendo/the company would try to get all of their characters back in Smash.

Like, I don't see why Sega would say no to Bayonetta or Joker but yes to Sonic. And I can't see Konami saying no to Snake but yes to Simon.

The only company that may have issues if Square due to how their copyright works. Even then, I fully believe that Square themselves like their characters in Smash.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Also I feel really secure about Banjo and Steve lol

Like Sakurai getting rights to Banjo was really easy, something he’s never said about any character before, plus Banjo had the blessing of Phil Spencer, the head of the Xbox brand itself.

Meanwhile, Steve is the face of the highest selling game of all time, meaning he’s the type of character that could theoretically push units, meaning he’s a beneficial keep from a business standpoint too. Plus if he’s in planning phase from the start, stages can be made to work with his abilities from the get-go rather than like 2 years after the game comes out.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
so i'd like to ask you guys something. say we do get a playable tales character, who would it be? who would be the most popular? i'd say lloyd, but i wouldn't mind luke or yuri either. anyone know whos the most popular tales character that has a high chance of being playable?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
We're posting our personal Fighter's Passes?
If you insist...
1635056911607.png

Also the fact that Black Knight does not work at all for an Ike echo as they do not share a single trait besides having the same sword.
And the same teacher. Which, one would assume, would inform their fighting styles.

I think Black Knight would work perfectly fine as the Ganondorf to Ike's Captain Falcon.

It's less that Capcom is one of the bigger Japanese publishers and more that Capcom just has a lot of popular IPs and characters in general. Like not just Street Fighter, Mega Man and it's spin-offs, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry and Ace Attorney, people would probably be pretty good with Ghosts'n Goblins, Okami, Darkstalkers, Strider Hiryu, Dead Rising, etc.
Like if there's any company with a lot of fan demanded and popular reps, Capcom is more than likely the king at the top.
Capcom is, like, a third of my top 30.

Billy and Jimmy Lee fit that too, so I hope they get a lot more support for the next game.
I'd still prefer Kunio & Riki to Billy & Jimmy.

I know Double Dragon is more well known in NA. But River City was bigger in Japan. Had WAY more games. Had much BETTER games. And was the spiritual predecessor to Double Dragon.

I'll take some Billy & Jimmy Mii Brawlers though. Please and thank you.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
so i'd like to ask you guys something. say we do get a playable tales character, who would it be? who would be the most popular? i'd say lloyd, but i wouldn't mind luke or yuri either. anyone know whos the most popular tales character that has a high chance of being playable?
Yuri is the most popular character among Tales fans. Nintendo/Smash fans prefer Lloyd, .

If we're gonna get a Tales character, there's a high chance it's one of those two. Lloyd may seem more likely due to his Mii costume but then again, Kazuya over Heihachi happened.

It can also be someone from Arise, given its breakout success.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
And the same teacher. Which, one would assume, would inform their fighting styles.

I think Black Knight would work perfectly fine as the Ganondorf to Ike's Captain Falcon.
But as it turns out...
It doesn't!
They don't fight anything alike in any way, shape, or form.

If you want to call him the Ganondorf to Ike's Falcon, fine, but Ganondorf and Captain Falcon aren't echoes.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't know, how popular has Arise gotten?

I haven't really been following the game at all, but basically is the main characters of that game don't reach yuri-levels of popularity, I'd imagine it'd still boil down to Yuri for a "general popularity" pick or Lloyd for a "Smash fan demand" pick.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't know, how popular has Arise gotten?

I haven't really been following the game at all, but basically is the main characters of that game don't reach yuri-levels of popularity, I'd imagine it'd still boil down to Yuri for a "general popularity" pick or Lloyd for a "Smash fan demand" pick.
Looks to me like it's quickly set to becomes Tales breakout hit ala Atlus's Persona 5, so at that point, I think even if fans aren't huge fans, they're the obvious pick.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I feel like a Major point in Yuri's Favor over Lloyd is that His game, Tales of Vespreia, is the only one that is on Switch, and it sold well on the Switch as well. So now New Audiences on Nintendo might be more familiar with Yuri rather than Lloyd

I also think that since Tales of has that main Japanese Appeal, I would think when choosing the character, they most want to appeal to the Audience that is the most invested in it, in this Case Japan. Yuri is the most popular character there, though I've seen Lloyd get some popularity over there too, so you know

Tales of Arise kind of throws a wrench into things. It's the Fastest selling game in the series, and done really good. It could be the Most Mainstream game, and if so, that would thr

Netherrealm Leak : GamingLeaksAndRumours (reddit.com)

So I don't know if this real or not, but I do think that we might be seeing more Smash-like takes coming in the future. Ultimate being the Best Selling Fighting game (On just one Console especially) probably is a indication of how lucartive these types of Games can be

That's why I think the idea of a Reboot is a terrible one for right now at the least, and how I think trying to expand Ultimate might be a Once in a Lifetime oppertunity. In years time, Companies might want to try their hand at their own Smash like games, and might be less willing to give their characters to Nintendo. I think while Nintendo still has somewhat of a Monopoly on the Platformer Fighter genre, they should go ahead Expand the Series to the biggest heights it can
MULTIVERSUS Trademark Application of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. - Serial Number 97048092 :: Justia Trademarks

So I probably should have posted this in the Initial post, but this is proof that there is something more to this story

Along with this, apparently there are at least 2 other Companies that are also preparing a Smash-Like game. One of these is Significantly bigger than even Netherrealm as a studio. I don't know if this also meant in relation to Warner Bros as well. I'm thinking it was in relation to Sony, Microsoft, or Disney. All of those would be big in terms of Competition, especially since hopefully Sony learned from their mistakes on PSASBR

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like a Major point in Yuri's Favor over Lloyd is that His game, Tales of Vespreia, is the only one that is on Switch, and it sold well on the Switch as well. So now New Audiences on Nintendo might be more familiar with Yuri rather than Lloyd

I also think that since Tales of has that main Japanese Appeal, I would think when choosing the character, they most want to appeal to the Audience that is the most invested in it, in this Case Japan. Yuri is the most popular character there, though I've seen Lloyd get some popularity over there too, so you know

Tales of Arise kind of throws a wrench into things. It's the Fastest selling game in the series, and done really good. It could be the Most Mainstream game, and if so, that would thr
I mean, Japan's favorite Final Fantasy is X and we still got Cloud and Sephiroth because VII is just that big of a deal worldwide. Admittedly, the difference between Vesperia and Symphonia isn't that big but it's not like Smash always prioritizes Japan just because.

A good number of third-party characters we got are more popular outside of Japan, in fact: Banjo, Sonic, Bayonetta, and Mega Man, for example.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I mean, Japan's favorite Final Fantasy is X and we still got Cloud and Sephiroth because VII is just that big of a deal worldwide. Admittedly, the difference between Vesperia and Symphonia isn't that big but it's not like Smash always prioritizes Japan just because.

A good number of third-party characters we got are more popular outside of Japan, in fact: Banjo, Sonic, Bayonetta, and Mega Man, for example.
I know they don't just appeal to Japan just because. I don't think this is a FF7 scenario because as you mentioned, the difference between Vesperia and Symphonia isn't that big, perhaps especially after Vesperia was brought onto the Switch. I'm just saying if you putting in a Franchise that has mainly Japanese Appeal, and there's not a game that was so dominate in another region, it might be a point in favor of the Rep that Japanese Prefer

But like I said, Lloyd is also popular over there, I believe according to a recent poll over there. There's also the case of Tales of Arise. That game seems to be the Ultimate bridge between the franchise and Main stream.

I think Yuri does have those points in his favor, but at the end of the day, It's still a toss up as to who they would choose as the rep. there's good arguments for both Lloyd and Yuri, and Tales of Arise MC's might be brought into the picture as well. Poor Velvet though, I don't think she will be the character though

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
i tend to have more of a connection to lloyd because symphonia was my 1st tales game and i played the heck out of it so many times. i've also played vesperia and enjoyed it too but i prefer lloyd for one of the reasons being he is a dual wielding sword user. either 2 would be fine though.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
How would you feel if in the next smash game :ultbowserjr:gets removed from his clown kart be given the :ultpyra::ultmythra: treatment with Shadow Mario and the paint brush and as for the koopalings they are being kept in the clown kart and would start with :ultlarry: with a new final smash
Meh. The Clown Car moveset is just more interesting, period. Besides, after his inclusion in Smash 4, Nintendo's been associating Junior with the Clown Car more and more and more.

toonito

Smash Ace
My thoughts on 3rd party characters getting cut for Smash 6. as always take these with a grain of salt just me speculating
:ultsonic:: I don't see getting cut going forward
:ultsnake:: Could happen again due to relationship between Kojima and Konami if so then I think Bomberman would be next in line
:ultmegaman:: don't see getting cut; possible swap with another Rockman (X, EXE, Volnutt, or Starforce) but not likely
:ultpacman:: don't see getting cut as long as Namco's Smash developer; even if Smash was developed by another studio Pac-Man should be safe
:ultryu:: don't see getting cut going forward
:ultken:: could see him not making it back if so does his "spot" go to another Capcom rep, SF rep, echo, etc.?
:ultcloud:: I think he's the likeliest of the 3 SE reps so far to return.
:ultbayonetta:: she seems to be safe unless internally she's in direct competition with Astral Chain due to them both being Platinum Games/Nintendo.
:ultsimon: : could see him returning. I think all current 3rd parties will have at least one rep going forward unless a professional breakdown happens with Nintendo. Also doesn't seem to have the ownership issues Snake has.
:ultrichter:: 50/50 depends on if Sakurai wants to continue branding Echo fighters.
:ultjoker:: don't know i'm leaning on him returning.
:ulthero:: i feel not all three SE reps will return and yet despite DQ's popularity in Japan I feel he's the 2nd most likely to return.
:ultbanjokazooie:: interestingly enough i have a feeling they won't make it back.
:ult_terry:: theoretically should be safe unless they want to rotate the SNK rep (if there's only one) to Marco or Nakoruru. If SNK has more than 1 rep he's safe.
:ultsteve:: I think he's more likely to return than Banjo
:ultsephiroth:: I don't think he'll return.
:ultkazuya:: I think he'll make it back alongside Pac-Man. Then again Jin might have an outside shot of replacing him. Ever since Sakurai mentioned why Heihachi didn't make it in I wonder if Jin was considered for Ultimate since he inherited the Devil Gene.
:ultsora:: I could be wrong but I don't think he'll return.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
I think sora is safe being the ballot winner I think they will do all they can to try to bkeep him in smash the only ones I’m iffy on are :ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter: due to snake being cut before. I think Microsoft and SE characters will be back if we get another rep from each company as dlc

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
i gotta ask, is hoping for amaterasu from okami too much? i know no new games have come out but man she would have a really unique moveset. is okami popular enough to warrant a fighter slot?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i gotta ask, is hoping for amaterasu from okami too much? i know no new games have come out but man she would have a really unique moveset. is okami popular enough to warrant a fighter slot?
More 4 legged fighters would be interesting to have
But I don’t feel she gets high support when it comes to what next capcom rep people are asking for or if capcom would care to push for her inclusion compared to someone like monster hunter or Dante or Phoenix Wright or resident evil and even Arthur
I would say she would be very lucky if she gets to be in and beat the big capcom competitor

If we're getting something from SEGA, it's Space Harrier of Opa-Opa from Fantasy Zone.
Space Harrier - because he could be Representing SEGA Arcade Games and he could be Unique Pick.
Opa-Opa - because he could be another SEGA rep that was SEGA's mascot (I'm not joking) and he could be floaty-type Ranged Fighter like Space Harrier, but more floaty and he could Hover like Peach or Space Harrier.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If we're getting something from SEGA, it's Space Harrier of Opa-Opa from Fantasy Zone.
Space Harrier - because he could be Representing SEGA Arcade Games and he could be Unique Pick.
Opa-Opa - because he could be another SEGA rep that was SEGA's mascot (I'm not joking) and he could be floaty-type Ranged Fighter like Space Harrier, but more floaty and he could Hover like Peach or Space Harrier.
Or maybe a second Sonic rep because that franchise is long overdue to get something other than Sonic?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Still throwing my hat for these two in a tag-team as the next Capcom character:

If MvCI drops the ball on being a fighting game where I can play as X and Zero, Smash could hopefully pick it up.

That being said, I'd also a big fan of the idea of a Resident Evil character. There's a lot of potential there, especially if you were to base the moveset on Resident Evil 1-3. In particular, I'm imagining a character with some really good options in their firearms, while offsetting that by giving them limited mobility, a strict limitation on their ammo per stock, and mediocre close-range.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Honestly if it were up to me to choose the next SEGA rep, I'd pick Akira, Alis or Opa-Opa. There's other great characters they could add - like Kiryu, Arle or Sakura - but these 3 just feel to me like the SEGA-est SEGA characters they could possibly add, if that makes any sense. After that is when I'd add a second Sonic rep

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Has Speed Weed Speed Weed converted you?

Honestly if it were up to me to choose the next SEGA rep, I'd pick Akira, Alis or Opa-Opa. There's other great characters they could add - like Kiryu, Arle or Sakura - but these 3 just feel to me like the SEGA-est SEGA characters they could possibly add, if that makes any sense. After that is when I'd add a second Sonic rep
Maybe we should also include NiGHTS, AiAi, Space Harrier (better Fox McCloud), Vyse and Ulala to be honest.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If I had to add a sega character (and it couldn't be Him) I'd probably go with Arle. Puyo Puyo is one of the most important Sega series not yet in. After that, I would add Tails/Eggman, Kiryu, and Demi-Friend. Then we add Him

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Personally, my own take on SEGA is that it would wind up being AiAi. Considering that the Monkeyball series has been pretty popular, has a bit of legacy behind it, and is still clearly beloved to this day, AiAi seems like a pretty reasonable choice considering that he's pretty active, like, right now!

Whilst I would love to see a variety of characters - Beat, primarily, because THIS IS A HILL I WILL DIE ON, - I think that the issue is that other characters... don't really have as much star power or history. Kiryu has issues with canon, sure, but then is another character like Majima likely to be chosen? Are other SEGA characters like NiGHTS and Ulala even reasonable to so much as consider, considering they've been dead for years?

I hate having to look at it this way, because I've always loved the idea that any character can get in. The thing is, a second Sonic pick (I'd say Eggman, probably,) is arguably the most likely, because I feel like Sonic might honestly be one of the only series that SEGA are actually interested in actively promoting. Note that Bayonetta was PlatinumGames, and Joker was ATLUS - not SEGA. AiAi might be one of the most likely...

Not to come across as a doomer at all, of course. Believe me, I have a ton of characters I'd love to see - Opa-Opa, Ryo Hazuki, the Jack Bros., Space Harrier and of course Beat, my beloved. It's just... I feel SEGA would want to promote one of their more popular series, and I don't feel like Football Manager would be particularly popular somehow.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
But as it turns out...
It doesn't!
They don't fight anything alike in any way, shape, or form.
Now...here's my question.

...what are you basing that on?

Because the only footage I can find of Ike and BK fighting is from 15-year-old FE games where everyone still fights with the same canned animations. So how exactly do you know how either of them fights when FE games don't show you how they fight?

If you want to call him the Ganondorf to Ike's Falcon, fine, but Ganondorf and Captain Falcon aren't echoes.
If he was being introduced now, with the moveset he had in Melee, he would be. As would Dr. Mario.

Last edited:
Top Bottom