• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Next Level LAN Presents: September Savagery

Exdeath

Smash Master
well PRS are based on tourney placings, not MM's unless they are PR MM's and those are done rarely. So I would think tourney placings show skill and MM's are just a void to gain extra money on the side or to practice a bit.
The direct reason for PRs is to give OoS players an idea of how people place in case they don't follow the region. This is especially significant when players are looking to MM the top players at a given tournament and need to prioritize their time. Indirectly this recognition is considered rewarding to some players, and as a result it can serve as an alternate function for motivation.

I don't know about SFL/NFL, but in CFL the primary/common purpose for MMs is to gain experience/practice and -- in the case of OoR -- to gauge your skill.

For some personal examples, I'm money matching Pesticide for experience, DJ Jack as a friendly gesture because I want to play with him and I know that he wants to money match me, and I would money match ESAM if he were coming because I want to see how I rate against one of the best players in the world -- even though I know that I'm bad at this game. Notice how none of those are for the purpose of making money. I have a job for that.

I understand how you might see MMs as an opportunity for income if you don't have a job, but if that's the case then you're better of partitioning your time for job searching, because the only Brawl player in all of Florida who has turned a profit for the past couple of years is ESAM, and even then he is probably is cutting even from all of his pot filler days. You can't expect to be making bank off of Smash when players like Mew2King are struggling to make a decent standard of living. Players like me, GDX, and Seibrik extensively travel in-state, OoS, and both, respectively, but we all have something in common: We work and earn money outside of Smash.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
I'm not looking to make a profit (although it would be nice). I just want to break even. 15+10+10 or 15(food)+ tolls 2$, gas 10$ becomes like approx. 50$. I just go to school full time and don't have a job so burning 50$ without having any income coming back isn't rewarding at the end of the day.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Nothing against you drew but your entirely too common scenario is the one of the main reasons our game is so small. It takes some type of funding from somewhere to make it a big deal and when alot of the players are playing just for the little amount money there is...instead of playing for pride/popularity/grow the community since money isn't that big of a concern for their everyday life.

I just look at players like mike Ross who play for all those good reasons I mentioned, works a regular job, and even said in his documentary he would never make fighting games his employment..he's the common player in the SRK community. When they don't have to be overly focused on money like we are they can do more community beneficial things

Well anyway no hate on you Andrew :laugh:

:phone:

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
I understand where you're coming from keith. I'm not playing this game as a form of employment. But that doesn't mean I'd be well off losing money constantly. I just want to hit a sweet spot of some sort. I don't mind losing a little bit of money but I just don't want to lose a lot of it is all. Making money or breaking even or slightly less than even would make me feel more compelled to travel more. Obviously money is what brings you to tourneys, the more you have, the more you are able to travel to.

Maybe I should just go to the smashfest b4hand and that would take care of the problem for the most part.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Lol like I said your problem is a common problem in the smash community

And you should go to the smashfest either way! Top 3 of the free tourney get a portion of their singles paid for on Saturday depending on your placing. I'm not entering myself but that's good for others.

And don't ask the NLL guys if you can have the prize differently guys cause its out of my own pocket not theirs . Either entry fee or computer time

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Double post of justice for someone to house gainesville. I really don't want to house too many myself but I can probably do 2-3. David da bess torres already has a spot if he comes

Exdeath

Smash Master
Double post of justice for someone to house gainesville. I really don't want to house too many myself but I can probably do 2-3. David da bess torres already has a spot if he comes

I left you a message on Facebook.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Lol just send me a message here. Or text me. Facebook messages are a pain when I'm not home

Also I got my new laptop finally. Took 7 years but my computer is finally upgraded. Probably give my crappy one to nick

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Welp can't house gville at all anymore someone help them out!

Also ill bring my xbox for sure this time for AE friendlies as long as I have my arcade stick back by then

Also also if I get it back ill probably change the art Saturday. It's gonna be the sexiest thing to exist

Also cubed HYPE ! First tourney after the PR season and about all regions will be represented. I feel matches won and loss this weekend will go along way for tiebreakers for next season...and MK is not banned

Two-Ell

Smash Master
I waaaaanna come to this, but I'm kinda on the fence about it for pretty much the reasons Dew gave. I'll be eating $40-50 of the money I saved for Apex xD(I don't really care about the breaking even stuff since I've never expected to when I go somewhere anyway lol)

:rosalina:

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I waaaaanna come to this, but I'm kinda on the fence about it for pretty much the reasons Dew gave. I'll be eating $40-50 of the money I saved for Apex xD(I don't really care about the breaking even stuff since I've never expected to when I go somewhere anyway lol)

I got to find a job. My apex fund has gotten **** on. :(

I'm still going no matter what though. I'd rather just have everything safely put away =/

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I main :metaknight:
aka
:zerosuitsamus:

Also. MM's are a test of skill.
Anyone who goes in wanting to just make money, isn't playing this game for the right reasons.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
I main

what are you clicking this for? You should know by now dumb *****. I hope ya weren't expectin' dat :metaknight:

Anyway since you obviously need to be informed I main

aka

You don't learn do ya? It's okay I expected it. Here's a better visual for you

:rosalina:~

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Lol @ garret I lost

And also I said last page I can't house gville anymore -_- :glare:

Exdeath

Smash Master
I main

what are you clicking this for? You should know by now dumb *****. I hope ya weren't expectin' dat :metaknight:

Anyway since you obviously need to be informed I main

aka

You don't learn do ya? It's okay I expected it. Here's a better visual for you

:rosalina:~

You main minigun?

I said last page I can't house gville anymore -_- :glare:

He didn't ask if you could house him. He asked if you'd be able to him.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
^ of course. hiROI isn't coming lol

Me and Nick got dis.

:peach: & :random:

Aka
:olimar: & :marth:

JKJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJK

It's :peach: & :snake:

In other news the melee tournament I went to last week had quite a lot of set ups. They didn't even need to assign TV's. Things just for done and the bracket was quite fair. We should do the same....... aka bring set ups people!

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
man I can't wait for this it's gunna be exciting! Then I can meet up with friends and such...because I fight for you guys btw.

Top Bottom