• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
They already signed off on his inclusion in the last game. You really think they won't do it again for this one?
I'm just saying that with Geno, two camps have to meet. We don't know the full details of the meeting, but making a mii costume is not the same as making a brand new character. Way more resources go into making a playable character. Would Square want all that time and money to be spent on a character they can't really do much with, or rather one of their existing Ips which they can hope to bank on later?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I'm just saying that with Geno, two camps have to meet. We don't know the full details of the meeting, but making a mii costume is not the same as making a brand new character. Way more resources go into making a playable character. Would Square want all that time and money to be spent on a character they can't really do much with, or rather one of their existing Ips which they can hope to bank on later?
Those two camps have already met though. Obtaining the rights to a character is exactly the same for a Mii costume and a brand new character, since it's using the character either way. And it's not Square's time and money that's being spent, it's Nintendo's, so I don't see what their problem would be.

I think if Sakurai comes to them and goes, "I want to use this character," they're going to say yes. They already gave him Cloud, after all. And since this game has largely been about giving the fans what they want, I expect Sakurai looked at the fact that Geno has been requested since before Brawl, the fact that he has wanted to put Geno in the game for years, and the fact that he literally got the rights to the character in the last game (probably right around the time he was deciding to make Ultimate, in fact), and decided, "Yeah, let's make this dream a reality."

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Those two camps have already met though. Obtaining the rights to a character is exactly the same for a Mii costume and a brand new character, since it's using the character either way. And it's not Square's time and money that's being spent, it's Nintendo's, so I don't see what their problem would be.

I think if Sakurai comes to them and goes, "I want to use this character," they're going to say yes. They already gave him Cloud, after all. And since this game has largely been about giving the fans what they want, I expect Sakurai looked at the fact that Geno has been requested since before Brawl, the fact that he has wanted to put Geno in the game for years, and the fact that he literally got the rights to the character in the last game (probably right around the time he was deciding to make Ultimate, in fact), and decided, "Yeah, let's make this dream a reality."
I think people underestimate the power of Sakurai's Bias. was castlevania really ever so big of a fan request that it called for them getting 2 characters, a stage with multiple boss', and 34 music tracks? because if you ask me Castlevania got all that love because the series is one of Sakurai's childhood favorites.

and in Geno's case if all the information is pointing towards people wanting it. and if he himself also wants it. than I don't see why he wouldn't make it happen. sure the money may not be as big there as other places. but Sakurai cares more about making his fans happy. He's an artist before he is a business man.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I think people underestimate the power of Sakurai's Bias. was castlevania really ever so big of a fan request that it called for them getting 2 characters, a stage with multiple boss', and 34 music tracks? because if you ask me Castlevania got all that love because the series is one of Sakurai's childhood favorites.

and in Geno's case if all the information is pointing towards people wanting it. and if he himself also wants it. than I don't see why he wouldn't make it happen. sure the money may not be as big there as other places. but Sakurai cares more about making his fans happy. He's an artist before he is a business man.
I mean, I've been wanting Castlevania since Brawl. :p For the same reason I wanted Mega Man. I don't have that much personal attachment to either, but they're both oldschool franchises heavily associated with Nintendo in their early years, and if the word "deserve" was ever appropriate for Smash, it would be for those two series.

You're right though! I voted for Simon personally, but I doubt he did that well in the ballot overall.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Castlevania doesn’t need to be a hugely requested franchise, nor does it need Sakurai to be biased, to get that sort of representation. Any character joining from a new franchise can get that reprentation. Look at Splatoon: unique newcomer, new stage, tons of music, and if Octolings don’t get in as base Echoes, they’ll be DLC guaranteed. And Splatoon doesn’t even have the history Castlevania does.

It’s what comes with the territory of being a new franchise.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I’m just coming in from the Isaac thread. It’s gettinng a little heated over there. Since this a newcomer thread, I’m predicting these 5 will make it into ultimate either in base or as future dlc. They are the characters I will continue to support and hope for until otherwise deconfirmed.
1. Geno
I’ve wanted geno in since brawl. I loved super Mario rpg as a little kid and geno was my favorite character to come out of that game. I want him in mainly for his moveset potential and how we could get a forest maze remix!
2. Isaac
I was a little late to the golden sun games, but dark dawn got me interested to trying the series out and it was an instant love. I love both the gba games dearly as an rpg fan and if Isaac got in that could potentially mean golden sun 4 finally getting made! I want issac for the sake of his fans and that his earth psyenergy would be really cool for a character. He isn’t just a typical sword character! Also the music in golden sun is INCREDIBLE. I would love the soundtrack to get more smash remix’s!

3. Shantae
Of all the indie games ive played over the years, Shantae is the one series I really got into. I was all behind her support during the ballot in 2015 and she would really be one of the most unique fighters to ever make the roster. Animal transformations and hair whipping along with genie powers and pirate weapons would be a blast to play with.

4. Banjo and Kazooie
This is a fan favorite and for good reason. They were requested since melee and almost made it in if not for the rare buyout. I am certain that Microsoft is all willing to let this iconic duo in. It’s really all Nintendo’s decision, but the fan demand is there and their moveset could easily make itself based on their classic n64 games.
I think their time is now.
5. Sora
I’m a huge kingdom hearts fan and Sora is my main besides Isaac in super smash flash 2. He may be iffy to be included due to Disney licensing, but recent evidence is pointing more and more in his favor of possible inclusion. Given that kingdom hearts 3 is finally close to being released, I think square would not say no to capitalizing on the hype and allow Sora in. He would be an amazing character with magic attacks and melee based swings with the key blade.
Those are my last hopes. they are dubbed the fabulous five and I’m ready to see what the next direct will bring. Whatever happens, I hope for all 5 of these characters. They all have huge fanbases begging for their inclusion so we will see soon. I’m hoping for the best!
So anyway if anyone wants to rate their chances or give opinions, let me know. I’d like another mans view on these guys.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Castlevania doesn’t need to be a hugely requested franchise, nor does it need Sakurai to be biased, to get that sort of representation. Any character joining from a new franchise can get that reprentation. Look at Splatoon: unique newcomer, new stage, tons of music, and if Octolings don’t get in as base Echoes, they’ll be DLC guaranteed. And Splatoon doesn’t even have the history Castlevania does.

It’s what comes with the territory of being a new franchise.
Well. We'll just have to wait and see. Geno does have a chance, but he is absolutely in no way a lock. I fear for how his fans will react if he doesn't get in...

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Well. We'll just have to wait and see. Geno does have a chance, but he is absolutely in no way a lock. I fear for how his fans will react if he doesn't get in...
I think is the Square rep is Geno because of the circumstances of his competition:
Sora - Owned by Disney and KH3 isn't out so they probably couldn't base his moveset on that.
DQ rep - Even bigger rights mess than FF. No really big defining character. Not big outside of Japan.
Chrono - Only one game not a series and I think the rights are a bit of a mess as well.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think is the Square rep is Geno because of the circumstances of his competition:
Sora - Owned by Disney and KH3 isn't out so they probably couldn't base his moveset on that.
DQ rep - Even bigger rights mess than FF. No really big defining character. Not big outside of Japan.
Chrono - Only one game not a series and I think the rights are a bit of a mess as well.
There's also Neku (TWEWY) and Lara Croft (Tomb Raider), although the latter has an issue involving realistic guns. There is also a chance that the second SE rep is another FF character.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If we managed to get Tekken's Heihachi, Lara Croft, Resident Evil guy and/or Crash as DLC in addition to Snake, Cloud and the Belmont's, we'd get the true 3rd party-based Sony All Stars!
Edit: also Sora and Rayman I guess

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
First time posting here, but lately I've had something on my mind. While not too likely outside of DLC, what would be the odds that Freedom Planet got some representation? From what I can understand, Lilac is able to run at high speeds, much like with Sonic, but she has her own unique abilities as well.

I'm bringing this up here, since no one ever made a thread for Lilac.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
First time posting here, but lately I've had something on my mind. While not too likely outside of DLC, what would be the odds that Freedom Planet got some representation? From what I can understand, Lilac is able to run at high speeds, much like with Sonic, but she has her own unique abilities as well.

I'm bringing this up here, since no one ever made a thread for Lilac.
Eh, is it an indie with much of a "series or impact behind it, or is it more flash in the pan? It could be on the same level as every other indie if that's the case, and I'd much rather see more representation of Sonic characters themselves rather than an imitator of them

cybersai

Smash Ace
The lack of news for the last month has really made me think we're only getting 2-3 newcomers left. We're pretty much at the tail-end now. If we only get one more direct I severely doubt there will be 4+ newcomer reveals in the same direct...just seems unlikely.

I had hoped they'd reveal Incineroar by now in a Pokemon direct just to get him out of the way, but the longer it takes for a newcomer trailer...the less new characters we have. Personally I think there's only 3 newcomers left, maybe 4 if we're lucky.

If it's Incineroar, a Square rep (probably Geno), and maybe 1-2 others, I'll be fine. I have no idea if Skull Kid will make it at this point, and I'm still pulling for Dixie at any rate. I don't think anyone else is happening on the base roster, sadly.

The lack of news has really made reality set in. People had their expectations too high. "Don't expect too many newcomers this time" ....Sakurai wasn't kidding.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I just hope that Chorus Kids is one of those few three/four remaining newcomers and echos (CK, Geno, Incineroar and Ken?), as the base game might be their best shot; they might not be a popular DLC choice amongst other candidates. For reference:

(Credit to noise r us for the image)

They were presumably planning a RH character for Smash 4 and while echos and newcomers are clearly different amounts of development, if they went back to previous scrapped Smash ideas like another considered Smash 4 character (Chrom), why not the newcomer that was far enough into development to have the emblem data, Smash Run enemy and trophies? Because of that they'd also be less daunting to make as a newcomer rather than a brand new considered one (similar to bringing back all the veterans like Snake?), and that's if they don't have a simplistic 2D look to match their game. And whatever the reasoning for their Smash 4 exclusion like a rhythm mechanic that didn't pan out or something, they clearly made it to the development/"emblem-having" phase at least, when they could have been scrapped at the start if it was a big issue they absolutely couldn't work with. Add to that their newest game coming out right before the project plan and it's THE shot they got.

A concern is that they might just have two unique newcomer trailers in the direct (like the 8/8 one) and those could be Incineroar and the SE rep. Though I think Vergy did go and say that Geno could possibly be DLC? Thus freeing up the newcomer announcements of this direct's period. And if we had 4-5 different newcomers and echos in one direct before, maybe there'd be similar amount this time, assuming that fits in with the slowing down reveal pace thing?

They'd honestly be the cherry on top to an already outstanding game to me. So I'm gonna hold cautious hope that Chorus Kids are one of the last, "surprise/unexpected/WTF" newcomers or something until the final roster is officially revealed. It's not over until the three lil white chorus things sing!

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I don't get why people want Shantae in smash.
I mean everyone has different tastes but her game is so boring, she is not an important character to Nintendo and her games didn't make any impact in the video game history.
I know some people still believe she will be playable even though shovel Knight who is waaaaay more popular and his games were played by millions of people is only an assist trophy.
Just a friendly reminder: Dixie Kong from the DK franchise also fights with her hair, she can even float with it and she can also transform into animals, she is a Nintendo character and still known by many people thanks to the DKC trilogy....

I mean, I've been wanting Castlevania since Brawl. :p For the same reason I wanted Mega Man. I don't have that much personal attachment to either, but they're both oldschool franchises heavily associated with Nintendo in their early years, and if the word "deserve" was ever appropriate for Smash, it would be for those two series.

You're right though! I voted for Simon personally, but I doubt he did that well in the ballot overall.
Don't use the word deserve because that's very subjective, there is no series that doesn't belong to Nintendo that deserves to be in smash, third party is just an extra in smash.
That's like people talking about how rayman "deserves" to be in smash because Ubisoft supports Nintendo sooo much, but they've only made one exclusive game for the switch so far which also had mario in it and no rayman. We don't even get some of the biggest franchises like assassin's Creed. That can also be said about other companies, no main street fighter game for switch and we won't get the final fantasy 7 remake. So why should I vote for or support third party characters? I loved Castlevania back then but it's not like it has to be in smash now, because it's not RELEVANT (people keep always bringing up that word when it gets to which characters should be in smash). I think that Sakurai was kinda forced because he wanted Snake and we all know what Konami really is of a company.

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
I mean everyone has different tastes but her game is so boring,
That's why. A lot of people disagree with you on that, that's all there is to it.

I for one do not get the appeal of the Fire Emblem franchise at all, whether it's the aesthetic, the gameplay or the story...Or the waifu simulator modes, but if people like the additions why not make interesting characters out of them? Not every character will be for everyone, especially now that we're rapidly approaching 3 digit numbers for the fighters. Which is insane.

I just want the characters in Smash to be fun to play and if possible a good bit unique, too. Characters like Shulk is what I personally love to see, cool implementations of the source game's mechanics.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Don't use the word deserve because that's very subjective
Yeah. Obviously. That's why I qualified it with a big ol' "if" statement...

there is no series that doesn't belong to Nintendo that deserves to be in smash, third party is just an extra in smash.
...however, "it's subjective" goes both ways. For example, I believe that third-party series like Mega Man, Castlevania, and Banjo-Kazooie, which literally owe their existence to Nintendo, have more than earned their place in Smash. Don't go around stating your opinion as if it's fact, because it's still just an opinion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Patra for Smash!
(From Pac-Man Party)
And about the third party thing, Marcello691 Marcello691 . You... you're just ASKING for hate lol. (Not that I'll be the one to give it to you.) I for one believe that every third party character who has made it in is worthy of their roster spot. Except Bayonetta.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I mean everyone has different tastes but her game is so boring, she is not an important character to Nintendo and her games didn't make any impact in the video game history.
I know some people still believe she will be playable even though shovel Knight who is waaaaay more popular and his games were played by millions of people is only an assist trophy.
Just a friendly reminder: Dixie Kong from the DK franchise also fights with her hair, she can even float with it and she can also transform into animals, she is a Nintendo character and still known by many people thanks to the DKC trilogy....

Don't use the word deserve because that's very subjective, there is no series that doesn't belong to Nintendo that deserves to be in smash, third party is just an extra in smash.
That's like people talking about how rayman "deserves" to be in smash because Ubisoft supports Nintendo sooo much, but they've only made one exclusive game for the switch so far which also had mario in it and no rayman. We don't even get some of the biggest franchises like assassin's Creed. That can also be said about other companies, no main street fighter game for switch and we won't get the final fantasy 7 remake. So why should I vote for or support third party characters? I loved Castlevania back then but it's not like it has to be in smash now, because it's not RELEVANT (people keep always bringing up that word when it gets to which characters should be in smash). I think that Sakurai was kinda forced because he wanted Snake and we all know what Konami really is of a company.
Yeah man, only relevant Nintendo-exclusive characters deserve to be in Smash.

*cuts the roster down to ten characters*

Anyone who says something isn’t relevant clearly doesn’t give a crap about games and just wants to be advertised to. Go play PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale if that’s your thing. Here we like good games.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Anyone who says something isn’t relevant clearly doesn’t give a crap about games and just wants to be advertised to. Go play PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale if that’s your thing. Here we like good games.
Yeah. Characters don't need to be relevant in order to be in Smash.

Driver Of The Aegis

Smash Rookie
I just want some damn closure on Takamaru.

Just show us all Assist trophies to make this wait easier.
Please

Shantae is m very dull to me

I think Rex from XC2 will be added as dlc

Apparently the switch is intended to have a 10 year lifespan so maybe they’ll add all of the characters people have been begging for at launch, and then Sakurai will launch others over the years as Nintendo switch online benifets or dlc

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Please

Shantae is m very dull to me

I think Rex from XC2 will be added as dlc

Apparently the switch is intended to have a 10 year lifespan so maybe they’ll add all of the characters people have been begging for at launch, and then Sakurai will launch others over the years as Nintendo switch online benifets or dlc
Err, why did you quote me? I never talked about Shantae, Rex or DLC, so unless it was a mistake I don’t understand.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Yeah. Obviously. That's why I qualified it with a big ol' "if" statement...

...however, "it's subjective" goes both ways. For example, I believe that third-party series like Mega Man, Castlevania, and Banjo-Kazooie, which literally owe their existence to Nintendo, have more than earned their place in Smash. Don't go around stating your opinion as if it's fact, because it's still just an opinion.
They do owe their existence to Nintendo and I've always loved the Castlevania and banjo games, but I don't think they earned a place in smash, especially not banjo because it belongs to Microsoft now and there wasn't a major banjo game after tooie, the last entry was a big flop. So how would Nintendo profit from banjo being in smash? Banjo kazooie is a classic, yes, but even a spin off game like Diddy kong racing on the N64 sold more. If rare would still belong to Nintendo (which means we would still get banjo games), then banjo would deserve to be in smash.
Many people forget that Smash is not a celebration of video games history in general but of Nintendo's video games history.
Castlevania was on so many platforms and Konami is like every other company, they only make games for the consoles they think their games will sell, no loyalty.
Patra for Smash!
(From Pac-Man Party)
And about the third party thing, Marcello691 Marcello691 . You... you're just ASKING for hate lol. (Not that I'll be the one to give it to you.) I for one believe that every third party character who has made it in is worthy of their roster spot. Except Bayonetta.
I don't care if I get hate, I don't like most third party games, that's why I buy Nintendo consoles and play Nintendo games, I belong to the people who have supported Nintendo all the years, I bought every Nintendo console, even the wii u. Why should Nintendo celebrate foreign developed games?? They don't care about western studios, they think they're something better.

I don't get your comment, I hate the word "relevant" people keep using here when referring to characters, because it was always said that characters like k.rool wouldn't appear in smash because he is not relevant and now he is playable, if I remember correctly you were one of the people back then who was arguing with me and said k.rool wouldn't come back because he's not RELEVANT, now he's in,so....
Even if we cut down the roster to only relevant Nintendo characters, why would there be only ten??? Nothing would change except that the third party characters wouldn't be there anymore.
"I don't give a crap about games" , I only play Nintendo games, so yes, I don't like crappy shooter and super hyper realistic games on ps4 and xbox one. So and now tell me why should I play PlayStation All-stars battle royale?? That's a really bad game, a failed recreation from sony. I don't understand...

I hope there aren't more characters in the game so that you can stop dreaming about crappy third party characters that will never make it into smash ;-)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They do owe their existence to Nintendo and I've always loved the Castlevania and banjo games, but I don't think they earned a place in smash, especially not banjo because it belongs to Microsoft now and there wasn't a major banjo game after tooie, the last entry was a big flop. So how would Nintendo profit from banjo being in smash? Banjo kazooie is a classic, yes, but even a spin off game like Diddy kong racing on the N64 sold more. If rare would still belong to Nintendo (which means we would still get banjo games), then banjo would deserve to be in smash.
Many people forget that Smash is not a celebration of video games history in general but of Nintendo's video games history.
Castlevania was on so many platforms and Konami is like every other company, they only make games for the consoles they think their games will sell, no loyalty.

I don't care if I get hate, I don't like most third party games, that's why I buy Nintendo consoles and play Nintendo games, I belong to the people who have supported Nintendo all the years, I bought every Nintendo console, even the wii u. Why should Nintendo celebrate foreign developed games?? They don't care about western studios, they think they're something better.

I don't get your comment, I hate the word "relevant" people keep using here when referring to characters, because it was always said that characters like k.rool wouldn't appear in smash because he is not relevant and now he is playable, if I remember correctly you were one of the people back then who was arguing with me and said k.rool wouldn't come back because he's not RELEVANT, now he's in,so....
Even if we cut down the roster to only relevant Nintendo characters, why would there be only ten??? Nothing would change except that the third party characters wouldn't be there anymore.
"I don't give a crap about games" , I only play Nintendo games, so yes, I don't like crappy shooter and super hyper realistic games on ps4 and xbox one. So and now tell me why should I play PlayStation All-stars battle royale?? That's a really bad game, a failed recreation from sony. I don't understand...

I hope there aren't more characters in the game so that you can stop dreaming about crappy third party characters that will never make it into smash ;-)
You yourself said Castlevania doesn’t deserve to be in Smash because it’s not relevant.

If we were to cut irrelevant characters, we wouldn’t be cutting a lot of third parties (Sonic, Bayonetta, Mega Man, Final Fantasy and Street Fighter are still alive, Pac-Man, Castlevania and Metal Gear had games released recently). You would cut a lot of Nintendo-exclusive characters (F-Zero, Earthbound, Ice Climber, Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, Punch-Out and a lot of irrelevant characters from relevant franchises would all get cut).

You talk about how Castlevania and Banjo-Kazooie haven’t earned their place in Smash. What third-party franchise do you feel has? Because all you talk about is profit, relevance and Nintendo-exclusivity.

(You mention Diddy Kong Racing selling better than Banjo-Kazooie as if that somehow diminished it. News flash, buddy, that was a surprise hit aided by its release date, was developed by Rare, and even started Banjo.)

Why should Nintendo celebrate foreign-developed games? Because foreign-developed games like Donkey Kong Country, Metroid Prime and Punch-Out Wii have sold gangbusters, been critically acclaimed and shaped the perception and reception of Nintendo just as much as their Japanese games have. And if that ‘foreign-developed games’ comment was part of your tirade against third party franchises, allow me to remind you that every third party character is from a franchise created and developed in Japan.

I never said K. Rool wouldn’t make it in due to irrelevance, was I was doing was calling you out on ridiculous arguments like K. Rool being a lock because there were references to him in Mario Odyssey.

I hope there are a lot more characters in the game, because my most wanted are not from ‘crappy third party games’, but from Nintendo franchises. I just don’t have an irrational hate for anything not Nintendo.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
You yourself said Castlevania doesn’t deserve to be in Smash because it’s not relevant.

If we were to cut irrelevant characters, we wouldn’t be cutting a lot of third parties (Sonic, Bayonetta, Mega Man, Final Fantasy and Street Fighter are still alive, Pac-Man, Castlevania and Metal Gear had games released recently). You would cut a lot of Nintendo-exclusive characters (F-Zero, Earthbound, Ice Climber, Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, Punch-Out and a lot of irrelevant characters from relevant franchises would all get cut).

You talk about how Castlevania and Banjo-Kazooie haven’t earned their place in Smash. What third-party franchise do you feel has? Because all you talk about is profit, relevance and Nintendo-exclusivity.

(You mention Diddy Kong Racing selling better than Banjo-Kazooie as if that somehow diminished it. News flash, buddy, that was a surprise hit aided by its release date, was developed by Rare, and even started Banjo.)

Why should Nintendo celebrate foreign-developed games? Because foreign-developed games like Donkey Kong Country, Metroid Prime and Punch-Out Wii have sold gangbusters, been critically acclaimed and shaped the perception and reception of Nintendo just as much as their Japanese games have. And if that ‘foreign-developed games’ comment was part of your tirade against third party franchises, allow me to remind you that every third party character is from a franchise created and developed in Japan.

I never said K. Rool wouldn’t make it in due to irrelevance, was I was doing was calling you out on ridiculous arguments like K. Rool being a lock because there were references to him in Mario Odyssey.

I hope there are a lot more characters in the game, because my most wanted are not from ‘crappy third party games’, but from Nintendo franchises. I just don’t have an irrational hate for anything not Nintendo.

I said that about Castlevania because people were discussing about the relevance of some characters and I think it's annoying because we can clearly see that relevance is not important in that smash. Like I said I loved the Castlevania games but If we start talking about relevance, then it shouldn't be represented in smash either.

Sonic isn't what it used to be, the sales are bad, the new original games (I'm not talking about sonic mania) get bad scores.
Bayonetta is a niche franchise and yeah it's getting a new game somehow, even though no one bought the first two (I bought them though), mega man hasn't been relevant when smash 4 came out, it has got one new game since then. Final fantasy is not selling as good as it should and the recent game wasn't that popular by fans, street fighter 5 is Sony exclusive and was a flop, and I don't remember that Castlevania got a new game, the latest metal gear was not only a commercial but also a critical failure and the future is unclear of that series without kojima. Don't get me started with pac-man...
So you see where this is going.

Regarding franchises like mother, duck hunt, ice climbers or f-zero, they're basically the classic retro Nintendo characters and wouldn't be cut because of that.

I think no third party franchise has earned it's place in smash, it's just an extra. Maybe I went a bit too far with my comment yesterday, I don't really mind third party characters, but people want so many of them, that one day it wouldn't be super smash Bros anymore, there are still Nintendo characters that belong into smash and they should be prioritized not third party characters.

I wasn't talking about games like donkey Kong country returns (which by the way has sold more copies than the entire Metroid prime trilogy) or Metroid prime and I know they were developed by Nintendo's ONLY foreign studio. Those are still Nintendo games. I meant third party games not from japan.

Ok, I don't hate non-nintendo games, hate is such a strong word, but I don't like them, I mean of course do I play third party games occasionally like okami, but , I don't know, most games on xbox or PlayStation just feel like the same to me, but I guess that's all preference, because non-nintendo gamers keep saying that Nintendo's making only 2d games and mario :-D

In the end, everyone has his/her own opinions and tastes which is a good thing. I guess I'm a bit sensitive because we haven't heard about smash related stuff for quite a while, so it's time for a new smash direct!
My expectations are very low, though

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is there a possibility you add Dixie Kong from the DK franchise???
Okay let me explain: I didn't really add characters from franchises that have already received a unique newcomer. You could just answer her in the "Other" option though. Sorry!

D

Deleted member

Should have left the option to pick one character instead of the "have to pick at least 3".

Especially since OTHER, which any other characters I'd really "want" for either side would be under, can only be used for ONE.

D

Deleted member

Should have left the option to pick one character instead of the "have to pick at least 3".

Especially since OTHER, which any other characters I'd really "want" for either side would be under, can only be used for ONE.
Fixed it
Also wow so many responses! Thanks to everyone!
One more thing I made a fake trailer
What do you think

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Speculation is really tame this time around. I know that the returning veterans, Ridley, and K. Rool have left a big vacuum but this is kind of ridiculous. Speculation has de-evolved into maybe a dozen characters with half you'll be ridiculed or harassed for supporting with Ken included who hardly anyone wants but most have quietly accepted.

Supposedly "Okay" to support: Banjo, Sora, Skull Kid, Shadow, Dixie

Seen as likely but will still be heckled: Geno, Inceniroar, Steve

Ultimate's Whipping Boys ™: Shantae, Isaac, Bandana Dee

The begrudged inevitability: Ken

Wild card echoes: Medusa, Black Knight, Black Shadow, Impa

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Speculation is really tame this time around. I know that the returning veterans, Ridley, and K. Rool have left a big vacuum but this is kind of ridiculous. Speculation has de-evolved into maybe 10 characters with half you'll be ridiculed or harassed for supporting with Ken included who hardly anyone wants but most have quietly accepted.
Idk, that does not sound tame.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Speculation is really tame this time around. I know that the returning veterans, Ridley, and K. Rool have left a big vacuum but this is kind of ridiculous. Speculation has de-evolved into maybe 10 characters with half you'll be ridiculed or harassed for supporting with Ken included who hardly anyone wants but most have quietly accepted.
Speculation will probably be more wide open once DLC begins. There's not much of a pool for base game. Since there's likely not many characters left (Even if the dreaded Box theory is wrong, there's probably not more then 3 additional characters after what the Box + Verge's characters implies). But once DLC is in full swing, there's going to be many candidates that include some of the currently speculated that miss the base game and/or other options that are possible based on what we've gotten from newcomers (Missing role upgrades if the characters were Mii costumes last game, assists, etc.) this game, and of course the Switch-era characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom