• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If there's a reveal next month. Captain Toad's probably a strong possibility. His switch port releases then, and Smash 4 when it did mostly monthly character reveals whether they were Newcomers or veterans often revealed them in the same month as a new game release. (Sonic in October for Sonic Lost World, November had Rosalina for Super Mario 3D World, etc.).
If Captain Toad is in, I think it would make a lot of sense to see him revealed next month.

Ashley is another strong candidate because of WarioWare Gold coming out next month as well.

Those are really the only two predictions I think you can make based upon other games. If it’s not one of those two and we have a reveal in July, it could be basically anyone. Though I think it won’t be as major a player as Ridley was just to space out the hype a little bit more.

SonicMario

Smash Master
If Captain Toad is in, I think it would make a lot of sense to see him revealed next month.

Ashley is another strong candidate because of WarioWare Gold coming out next month as well.

Those are really the only two predictions I think you can make based upon other games. If it’s not one of those two and we have a reveal in July, it could be basically anyone. Though I think it won’t be as major a player as Ridley was just to space out the hype a little bit more.
To be fair, there's not many that could be as major as Ridley barring a 3rd party reveal or K. Rool.

And I wasn't thinking Ashley since I saw the US release date was in August (Granted very early August, but August nonetheless) but this could be based on Japanese release dates so Ashley's certainly another possibility for July.

I'm not even too confident we get a reveal at all next month as I could see them leaving us in the dark again until whenever the next direct comes by, but yeah Captain Toad and Ashley are the top 2 possibilities if there is one.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
What are the chances that we'll get a character reveal at CEO? the smash demo is going to be playable there and nintendo is making a push towards the competitive scene with this game.

plenty of other fighting games have reveals at tournament events

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
If there's a reveal next month. Captain Toad's probably a strong possibility. His switch port releases then, and Smash 4 when it did mostly monthly character reveals whether they were Newcomers or veterans often revealed them in the same month as a new game release. (Sonic in October for Sonic Lost World, November had Rosalina for Super Mario 3D World, etc.).
That’s a good idea! I’m not sure about Captain Toad since it looks like Toad is more than just Peach’s meatshield now. Although a solo Captain Toad would be cool.

I thought possibly Ashley too. If they want to reveal her along with the release of WarioWare Gold

Edit: Oops didn’t see your second post. But I clearly agree lol

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That’s a good idea! I’m not sure about Captain Toad since it looks like Toad is more than just Peach’s meatshield now. Although a solo Captain Toad would be cool.

I thought possibly Ashley too. If they want to reveal her along with the release of WarioWare Gold

Edit: Oops didn’t see your second post. But I clearly agree lol
Or maybe even score a double-whammy by revealing Ashley AND Mona in the same trailer (I can dream).

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
Hey I don’t know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3, 64 and returns all came out in November. Maybe we’ll see a King K. Rool reveal then!

StormC

Smash Hero
Rosalina was revealed in December, a month after 3D World. For most of the Smash 4 cycle, the reveals were bimonthly:

October 13: Sonic (if you want to count this)
December 13: Rosalina
February 14: Little Mac
April 14: Greninja
June 14: Mii Fighters/Palutena/Pac-Man

Then in July there was Robin/Lucina and August with Shulk.

My current prediction is a newcomer in August, a Smash Direct in October with 1-2 reveals, and a final reveal in November.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Rosalina was revealed in December, a month after 3D World. For most of the Smash 4 cycle, the reveals were bimonthly:

October 13: Sonic (if you want to count this)
December 13: Rosalina
February 14: Little Mac
April 14: Greninja
June 14: Mii Fighters/Palutena/Greninja

Then in July there was Robin/Lucina and August with Shulk.

My current prediction is a newcomer in August, a Smash Direct in October with 1-2 reveals, and a final reveal in November.
I dunno. With so little time between the reveal and the release date, I think we’re gonna get a character a month. Maybe two in a smash direct like you suggest. So 6 total.

They’ll definitely wanna keep the hype train rolling

StormC

Smash Hero
I dunno. With so little time between the reveal and the release date, I think we’re gonna get a character a month. Maybe two in a smash direct like you suggest. So 6 total.

They’ll definitely wanna keep the hype train rolling
My current stance is if a newcomer is revealed in July, there are 5+ to announce post-E3. Otherwise I’m predicting 4 reveals left.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
My current stance is if a newcomer is revealed in July, there are 5+ to announce post-E3. Otherwise I’m predicting 4 reveals left.
Good prediction. I personally think we'll get 10 newcomers total (including Daisy, Ridley, and Inklings), maaaybe 13 if they go all in on the echos.

And then it's just a matter of whether or not Sakurai wants to keep some under wraps until release (which seems inevitable, and I'd be a bit disappointed if there wasn't one surprise)

StormC

Smash Hero
Good prediction. I personally think we'll get 10 newcomers total (including Daisy, Ridley, and Inklings), maaaybe 13 if they go all in on the echos.

And then it's just a matter of whether or not Sakurai wants to keep some under wraps until release (which seems inevitable, and I'd be a bit disappointed if there wasn't one surprise)
I’m predicting 6 originals, 3 Echoes, including what we have. So 9 total. I’d love for more but I’m keeping expectations in check until we see more.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
If we get Spring Man as DLC, I think it would be cool to throw in Springtron as either an alt or echo (trading in a built-in 'rage' mechanic for a stronger reflector).

ARMS and XC2 are the only stand out ideas I have for DLC. In a similar DLC pack, I'd also like Pyra and a Mythra echo (since both are better than Rex smh).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm leaning towards us getting a character reveal pretty much every month til launch. With such a truncated hype cycle, I see Sakurai going a little bit hard and heavy with reveals leading up to the release. A character every month, even if one is just an Echo, would be a good way to continue promoting the game. July-November gives us 5 months of reveals. If we have potentially 5-6 unique newcomers and a couple more echoes, that leaves us with enough to have a reveal each month and a couple of surprises for the actual release. I'm trying to keep my expectations for newcomers in check though, as I think many of us are, so that may be a tad bit more optimistic thinking in numbers, but it is possible I think.

I also just want to see a new reveal more to see where things are headed with characters. Ridley was such an unexpected newcomer that it has made a lot of fanbases hopeful (Several of which I majorly support), but I have to acknowledge there could be a reality in which Ridley just happened to be THE fan pick for Smash Ultimate and Sakurai focuses less on fan choices... I still think the ballot is playing a large role this time around, the timing makes too much sense with all of his comments about Smash Ultimate as a game for the fans, but I'm also just trying to temper my expectations a little. Smash 4 left me with enough experience to know that's necessary.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't really expect us to get an echo reveal on it's own at any point. None of the current three echoes were revealed in their own trailer. (Lucina had to share hers with Robin)

Personally I could see only unique characters being revealed outside of directs and whenever there's a Nintendo or Smash direct bring up the concept of echoes again and reveal the rest of them. (or even leave them to be discovered post launch)

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I don't really expect us to get an echo reveal on it's own at any point. None of the current three echoes were revealed in their own trailer. (Lucia had to share hers with Robin)

Personally I could see only unique characters being revealed outside of directs and whenever there's a Nintendo or Smash direct bring up the concept of echoes again and reveal the rest of them. (or even leave them to be discovered post launch)
I think the echoes will be the characters that will stay hidden until release (and maybe one original character). They're gonna wanna drop unique characters over the next few months. Unless we get an unique character and echo from the same series

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Unless we get an unique character and echo from the same series
That's something else I was almost going to bring up.

It seems unlikely to me that characters like Shadow, Dark Samus or Impa will get revealed in a trailer because I'm not convinced those series will be getting unique newcomers. (ignoring Ridley because he's already revealed)

The only exception I can think of is a trailer announcing both K. Rool and an echo Dixie.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
That's something else I was almost going to bring up.

It seems unlikely to me that characters like Shadow, Dark Samus or Impa will get revealed in a trailer because I'm not convinced those series will be getting unique newcomers. (ignoring Ridley because he's already revealed)

The only exception I can think of is a trailer announcing both K. Rool and an echo Dixie.

This is true. Unless they get super creative. Like Simon Belmont and Sonic are hunting vampires together, then they run into Shadow and mistake him for a vampire, or something very Subspace-like.

Maybe even just smaller trailers for the echoes, not on the same level as Ridley's cinematic entrance.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
It may not be hype but there is potential for Echos to just be revealed on the blog for whatever date may be thematic to them, with a sort of 'big deal' blog post made about them.

ShadowYoshi04

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-9785-8173
My newcomer predictions:
Inklings
Ridley
Gen 7 Pokémon
Elma
Rhythm Heaven character
Ashley
Simon Belmont
King K. Rool
Bandana Dee
Geno

Echoes:
Daisy
Dark Samus
Chrom

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
Alright here’s my prediction:
4 newcomers and 8 echo fighters total.

In addition to Ridley and Inklings, I predict Simon Belmont in September, and King K. Rool for November. I could see Ashley happening next month but I’m a skeptic.

Now regarding echo fighters, the 5 I predict are Dixie Kong, Chrom, Ken, Isabelle and Shadow. I could see Dark Samus or the Octolings happening too but honestly who knows.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I don't think Ridley was an unexpected reveal, we all know how Sakurai goes back to scrapped ideas and given that ridley was heavily requested, especially after he only appeared as a boss on the Metroid other m stage.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I gave this on the general discussion thread, but I'm predicting K Rool, Isaac, Bandana Dee, and Rhythm Heaven rep with Elma, a new Pokemon, Dixie, Saki, and Lip all being planned but only 1 or 2 of them making it. Predicting Shadow, Dark Samus, and Ninten for echoes.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
So I've gone and asked this in the Rate Their Chances, as the reason for this question came about from the days ratings, but the question I have to ask is probably better suited to this thread in the long term.

Akin to how we now have Inklings added as newcomers to represent Splatoon, what Nintendo series do you thing is the most likely to get a playable rep at this point? I expect their be at least 2 more Nintendo series represented with newcomers myself, but some might expect 1, some might expect no more, some might expect more than that; all perfectly legit answers. My main question though is, of all of Nintendo's series yet to have a playable rep, which do you think are most likely to get in?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So I've gone and asked this in the Rate Their Chances, as the reason for this question came about from the days ratings, but the question I have to ask is probably better suited to this thread in the long term.

Akin to how we now have Inklings added as newcomers to represent Splatoon, what Nintendo series do you thing is the most likely to get a playable rep at this point? I expect their be at least 2 more Nintendo series represented with newcomers myself, but some might expect 1, some might expect no more, some might expect more than that; all perfectly legit answers. My main question though is, of all of Nintendo's series yet to have a playable rep, which do you think are most likely to get in?
I think Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, Dillon's Rolling Western, Rhythm Heaven, Mach Rider, and Paper Mario (if we're counting that as separate from the main Mario series) are the most likely - with Isaac, Saki, Dillon, Karate Joe, Mach Rider, and Paper Mario representing them, respectively.

If I were to rank those in order of who's more likely to make the cut, I'd say:

Paper Mario
Isaac
Karate Joe
Mach Rider
Saki
Dillon

IMO, only one of those will get in at most though.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I think it's just the nature of the beast that the smash fanbase will never be fully satisfied. there are so many characters in existence and we just want them all. even when we get waluigi another will take his place.

granted I feel the Waluigi thing has blown up more then usual just because of his specific treatment as a character. (although is that treatment not true to his character?)

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Do you mean the getting his butt kicked thing? Because I'd argue other characters have had similarly poor treatments in the past eg; Chrom.
Well more so the being the odd man out being left out of things. seeing as he's never gotten into any main line titles. and even not any appearances in the WarioWare franchise.

granted all that would make him getting a spot in smash all the more amusing to see.
in general I'm indifferent to Waluigi. if he gets in I'll be cool with it. probably be quite the funny character to see. and if he doesn't there is probably some other cool character we'll get to see instead.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Rhythm Heaven is the franchise that will most likely get a playable character, basing it on the Gematsu Leak and 3DS limitations no longer being an issue preventing Chorus Kids from getting in. I am pretty surprised that some do not actually put CK in the rosters, because I think that is an easy prediction win.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Keep in mind, characters aren't chosen to "represent" their series. Newcomers are judged by their own merits, particularly what new ideas they can bring to the roster. Characters from "unrepresented" franchises won't get any inherent priority.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Keep in mind, characters aren't chosen to "represent" their series. Newcomers are judged by their own merits, particularly what new ideas they can bring to the roster. Characters from "unrepresented" franchises won't get any inherent priority.
We don’t know that, though. To this day, people can’t agree on whether Villager is supposed to represent Animal Crossing by himself, or whether Cloud got in just by himself, as a FF7 rep, or as a rep for the entire Final Fantasy franchise.
Unless we get explicit confirmation, then we can speculate either way.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
A bit of a random thought. But it would actually be pretty cool if all 12 of the originals got their villains added to the game

So far we have:

Mario/Luigi & Bowser/Bowser Jr.
Link & Ganondorf
Samus & Ridley
Pikachu/Jigglypuff & Mewtwo (I guess)
Kirby & King Dedede/Meta Knight
Fox & Wolf

This just leaves:

DK & King K Rool
Yoshi & Kamek (Though I suppose we could count Bowser as his villain too)
Ness & either Giygas or Porky
Captain Falcon & Black Shadow

I mean, it probably won't happen, but it would be a cool way to celebrate Smash's history, especially that of the OG characters.

D

Deleted member

A bit of a random thought. But it would actually be pretty cool if all 12 of the originals got their villains added to the game

So far we have:

Link & Ganondorf
Samus & Ridley
Fox & Wolf

This just leaves:

DK & King K Rool

I mean, it probably won't happen, but it would be a cool way to celebrate Smash's history, especially that of the OG characters.
I think you mean "Antagonists".
Dedede and Meta Knight have only really been villains in one game each, Mewtwo is the "final boss" of the original Kanto games but isn't actually evil, and Wolf is more of a rival than ana antagonist.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I think you mean "Antagonists".
Dedede and Meta Knight have only really been villains in one game each, Mewtwo is the "final boss" of the original Kanto games but isn't actually evil, and Wolf is more of a rival than ana antagonist.
Yes, antagonist would be a better word considering some of the characters

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

So far we have:

Link & Ganondorf
Samus & Ridley
Fox & Wolf

This just leaves:

DK & King K Rool

Black Shadow and Giegue would make amazing Echoes/semiclones. Not sure what could be done about Kamek and Pokey.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Black Shadow and Giegue would make amazing Echoes/semiclones. Not sure what could be done about Kamek and Pokey.
Agreed. Black Shadow as a Captain Falcon echo, and Giygas as a Mewtwo echo (in his Mother 1 form). K Rool seems like a lock at this point.

Which really only leaves Kamek. And yeah. Kamek being made into a unique fighter at this point seems highly unlikely. But man, each OG series have an antagonist rep would be a dream.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I was making alternate colors for Dark Matter based on other Kirby characters.
1530308851221.png
And I STILL had a couple Kirby characters to make new colors from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom