• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
Vergeben Leak is the one that claimed every character (including snake) and ridley are in the game

IIrc his other claims are

-There are 6 more characters we have not seen, one is Simon Belmont, the others he has no clue
-There's Minecraft content as an assist or stage.

Sounds like he got the public prerelease info, so if he's right, I expect a trailer for Simon to be shown, and the other 5 to be a surprise for launch.
I believe his source for Ridley is different than the others - it’s also the same source saying Bamco is developing Prime 4 so it’s probably an insider there. He was saying Ridley as early as April or so and right before E3 he doubled down on Ridley, saying he was the only part he was sure about. So I think all the other Smash stuff is a different “source” (his record is spotty but points for Ridley).

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Geno's even more extreme in that regard, only appearing in an SNES Mario spinoff and nothing else besides a tiny cameo in the original Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, as well as the Mii Costume in Smash 4. And as I said, I believe that the Mii Costume is a sign that the demand for the character is acknowledged, but of the two Square characters, Cloud was the priority, for obvious reasons. Now that Cloud is done and returning, Geno's time to shine is now.
Geno is possibly one of the most interesting characters to discuss, I find. Maybe that's more because I want him in, but at the same time he has so much going for and against him it always tends to result in some fascinating discussion or other. He's third party, but appeared in a Mario game. He was a side character in a 20 year old game, yet he's still very popular. He should have no chance, but Sakurai talked about wanting him in Smash twice.

Something that I brought up in the Geno thread as a recent observation was that Smash Bros Wii U/3DS would technically count as two games. Knowing that, would acquiring the rights for certain characters be more difficult given that they would be utilized for two different games? I would like it if someone smarter than me would inform me as to how true this is, because even though Geno is a Mii Costume, I assume making the step to a fully playable role would require more negotiation, especially if it has to happen in technically two different games.

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Who thinks there will be a new playable Pokemon in Smash Ultimate before Lets Go.

Last edited:

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Who thinks there will be a new playable Pokemon in Smash Ultimate before Lets Go.
Most people seem convinced there will be one... I'm not so sure, myself. Unless Sakurai explicitly stated he was going to add one, I have my doubts that this new Smash will have a new-gen Pokemon. Sure, it's a trend to add a new Pokemon for every Smash, but then again Sakurai is very unpredictable.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Is Shadow still wanted? We've never had more than one character from a 3rd party series, but I think it's his time now. Echo fighters/clones don't bother me at all.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Most people seem convinced there will be one... I'm not so sure, myself. Unless Sakurai explicitly stated he was going to add one, I have my doubts that this new Smash will have a new-gen Pokemon. Sure, it's a trend to add a new Pokemon for every Smash, but then again Sakurai is very unpredictable.
We are in a weird spot of numbers of newcomers.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm going to make a research thread to find out about various fandoms. Which seem to be popular picks?

K Rool
Bandana Dee
Isaac
Dixie
Geno
Anyone else?

I looked at the RTC thread. THere are some characters that get a high % of chance or want, but at the same time those characters are not actually discussed a lot.

I might have to create 2 research threads. One to determine who is actually popular. And another to determine what I want from gathering the first data

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm going to make a research thread to find out about various fandoms. Which seem to be popular picks?

K Rool
Bandana Dee
Isaac
Dixie
Geno
Anyone else?

I looked at the RTC thread. THere are some characters that get a high % of chance or want, but at the same time those characters are not actually discussed a lot.

I might have to create 2 research threads. One to determine who is actually popular. And another to determine what I want from gathering the first data
Ashley seems to be pretty popular. Chrom appears to be gaining steam.

daddledingo

Smash Cadet
NNID
lucamaltese1
3DS FC
0276-3432-5975
Switch FC
SW-5490-4392-0531
my guesses for new characters are.....
King K Rool
Dixie Kong
Dicidueye
Rayman
Waluigi (people want him so badly, and he's still has a chance even tho he was revealed as an assist?

D

Deleted member

I believe his source for Ridley is different than the others - it’s also the same source saying Bamco is developing Prime 4 so it’s probably an insider there. He was saying Ridley as early as April or so and right before E3 he doubled down on Ridley, saying he was the only part he was sure about. So I think all the other Smash stuff is a different “source” (his record is spotty but points for Ridley).
As far as im concerned, Vergeben had 3 sources that said Ridley was playable:
-Source 1 = Bandai Namco developing Super Smash Bros. and Metroid Prime 4 (TBC) + Ridley playable in Smash.
-Source 2 = Ridley + Simon Belmont + Ice Climbers (return) in Smash, and other non-Smash "leaks" like Just Cause 4 (confirmed), and new Jump game that would be a mix of popular japanese -shows (confirmed, Jump Force), 2 Castlevania games (TBC), one compilation game (TBC).
-Source 3 = Ridley at E3, with a presence not just limited to being shown playable.

Source 2 was the most complete out of all, and it's only missing Simon Belmont and the Castlevania games.

D

Deleted member

I looked through all of the existing series, and here is a list of of newcomers from existing series that I think are likely:

Paper Mario - I'm not too familiar with Paper Mario, but I think it was established that the Paper Mario verse is separate from M&L's at least, so we know Pm would be a different entity from normal Mario.

Dixie Kong - Relevant again thanks to TF. Could work as a semi-clone of Diddy.
King K. Rool - Highly requested in both Japan and NA. Got a Mii outfit too. His only issue is the lack of relevancy, but he could probably regain that at any moment. He's legacy as the main villain in the DK games is decent enough too.

Dark Samus (ε) - AT absence + Samus's DS alt being replaced makes this possible.
Sylux - MP3 and FF's endings both feature Sylux. While MP4 isn't really shown yet, Sylux already has a moveset framework to go off off. DLC perhaps?

Bandana Waddle Dee - idk much abut him, but I guess if Kirby got a 4th, it'd be him.

Incineroar - The anime isn't pushing Decidueye at all. I'm not really too certain about Gen 7 getting a rep at all, but I think Incineroar has the best chance of the Gen 7 mons.
Gen 8 Pokemon (DLC) - The timing will probably allow this to happen.

Isabelle (ε) - She's popular, but I can't see her having a unique moveset. Either she's an echo, or her AT is just being held back for some reason.

Rex & Pyra & Mythra - I don't feel that Elma is as likely; XCX wasn't that popular, and Elma's status as protagonist is questionable.

Octoling (ε) - This would be really easy to do; plus Splatoon is more popular than ever. Also makes sense if you've played the Octo Expansion.

My mind is kind of blank atm for newcomers from unrepped series, but I feel a RH character is possible. ARMS isn't out of the question either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I looked through all of the existing series, and here is a list of of newcomers from existing series that I think are likely:

Paper Mario - I'm not too familiar with Paper Mario, but I think it was established that the Paper Mario verse is separate from M&L's at least, so we know Pm would be a different entity from normal Mario.

Dixie Kong - Relevant again thanks to TF. Could work as a semi-clone of Diddy.
King K. Rool - Highly requested in both Japan and NA. Got a Mii outfit too. His only issue is the lack of relevancy, but he could probably regain that at any moment. He's legacy as the main villain in the DK games is decent enough too.

Dark Samus (ε) - AT absence + Samus's DS alt being replaced makes this possible.
Sylux - MP3 and FF's endings both feature Sylux. While MP4 isn't really shown yet, Sylux already has a moveset framework to go off off. DLC perhaps?

Bandana Waddle Dee - idk much abut him, but I guess if Kirby got a 4th, it'd be him.

Incineroar - The anime isn't pushing Decidueye at all. I'm not really too certain about Gen 7 getting a rep at all, but I think Incineroar has the best chance of the Gen 7 mons.
Gen 8 Pokemon (DLC) - The timing will probably allow this to happen.

Isabelle (ε) - She's popular, but I can't see her having a unique moveset. Either she's an echo, or her AT is just being held back for some reason.

Rex & Pyra & Mythra - I don't feel that Elma is as likely; XCX wasn't that popular, and Elma's status as protagonist is questionable.

Octoling (ε) - This would be really easy too do; plus Splatoon is more popular than ever. Also makes sense if you've played the Octo Expansion.

My mind is kind of blank atm for newcomers from unrepped series, but I feel a RH character is possible. ARMS isn't out of the question either.
I think you've certainly covered the more likely ones here for pre-existing series in SSB. The only one I'd say you're missing is:

Ashley - From WarioWare. She's always been fairly popular, but has been promoted a lot through Nintendo Badge Arcade recently.

There are one or two others I could mention (for instance, there always tends to be a newcomer from a series added into the last Smash, so Animal Crossing, Xenoblade or even Punch-Out have increased likelihoods of getting a 2nd rep) but you did say most likely and those are certainly more likely than the few others left I could mention.

For newcomers from unrepped series, I agree that a Rhythm Heaven rep has a much stronger chance this time around. I would suggest Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western as a more likely rep than people tend to consider. With the Switch being a hybrid system, then I feel Splatoon represents the console side, so I feel it'd make sense to also include a new series that can represent the handheld side of things. Along with a Rhythm Heaven rep and Dillon, I also considered Mallo and Qbby from Pushmo and BoxBoy respectively; they are two recent, multiple entry handheld focused series. Isaac from Golden Sun isn't as relevant, but I hear quite a few people voted for him in the ballot, so he's worth considering.

There are also older/retro reps to consider such as Balloon Fighter, Ecitebiker, and Lip, as well as crazier predictions of characters in the vein of Wii Fit Trainer (representatives for series such as Art Academy or Style Savvy; I actually think Vince from Art Academy could make for quite a decent addition, though these more oddball additions are a lot harder to gauge their likelihood.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The last damn thing I want is another Gen 1 Pokemon fighter to coincide with Let's Go. I think we're probably safe from that, but good god do we have an over representation of Gen 1 in terms of playable characters. I'll gladly accept Decidueye, would adore Sceptile, and there's a lot of other much better picks around... though not Mimikyu. I've got enough Pikachu looking characters in the game regardless of popularity.

I think when it comes to the biggest fandoms around this new entry that haven't been deconfirmed, you'll see these at the top:

King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Geno
Ashley
Isaac
Bandanna Dee
Captain Toad
7th Gen Pokemon Rep/Decidueye
Elma (Sort of iffy on this one, but I'll lump in people expecting a new Xenoblade character)
Banjo Kazooie
Crash (I'll put him on here, but I don't think he has a chance in hell on the base roster as basically all his support came about after that March Direct)

Retro reps are all over the place in terms of support between Lip, Excite Biker, Mach Rider, etc. A lot of third party characters are similarly just all over the place in support, with perhaps Rayman and Simon Belmont being the most realistic two. I'd have put Simon on the above list, but he also didn't really get in to the discussions in a major way until the leaks. Then you have stuff like ARMS characters who people put as predictions, but I don't really see them with all that much fanfare other than people trying to be right in predicting the roster.

Bomberman, Takumaru, Waluigi, and Lyn were all arguably large fandoms who got shot down with assist trophy reveals. A couple of those were considered shoe-ins by many people. If you liked those characters, that was unfortunate, but it has sort of creating more of a rallying around the remaining fandoms for people not too hurt by their deconfirmations.

Then Ridley, Inklings, and Daisy are in, so their fandoms have dissipated accordingly as well. That's sort of my take on the situation, and I'm leading towards some of these fandoms getting what they want. In part because until the last year Nintendo hasn't had much new to include.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'm gonna say that there's about 7-10 characters still left in the base roster. Including echos. I'll guess these:

Pretty Much Locks:
King K Rool
Simon Belmont

Very Likely:
Ashley
Bandanna Dee
Dark Samus (Samus Echo)
Mimikyu/Decidueye/Lycanroc (One Gen 7 Rep)

Likely:
Dixie Kong
Geno
Chrom (Ike Echo)
Shadow (Sonic Echo)
Impa (Sheik Echo)
Isabelle (Villager Echo)

Possible:
Captain Toad
Banjo-Kazooie
Paper Mario
Isaac
Skull Kid
Elma
Octolings (Inklings Echo)
Funky Kong (DK Echo)

Probably Not, But I Want Her Anyway:
Anna

Last edited:

Pinkanator

Smash Rookie
I'm sure somebody's already thought this, and it's probably Extreeeeemely unlikely, but what's the chances on the Forbidden 4 making it in? Dixie, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik/Tetra (did we ever get actual info on her?) and Plusle/Minun. I'm fully expecting to be shot down, but the idea's been bugging me.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I'm sure somebody's already thought this, and it's probably Extreeeeemely unlikely, but what's the chances on the Forbidden 4 making it in? Dixie, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik/Tetra (did we ever get actual info on her?) and Plusle/Minun. I'm fully expecting to be shot down, but the idea's been bugging me.
Dixie - Probably is happening
Toon Zelda - Maybe
Toon Sheik - Nope
Minun and Plusle - Nope

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Dixie seems quite likely
Toon Zelda probably not; with all the LoZ reps now sporting different looks from many of the series a 'different look' Zelda wouldn't be as unique a concept because Zelda herself is already a different look.
Tetra on the other hand is stitll possible IMO as she's essentially a different character. Definitely not 'Toon Shiek' but Tetra is still on the cards but not in a likely way.
Minun and Plusle make no sense with Pikashu and Pichu already in, Rex/Pyra being a potential new 'team up support eachother' character with more going for them and ICs back.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I can see Dixie Kong and Toon Zelda happening if Sakurai really wants to revive some lost concepts from past Smash games (likewise for whoever the Rhythm Heaven character was that was planned for Smash 4).

Not sure on Toon Sheik (Unless she's replaced with Tetra) or Pra_Mai though (Unless they really are Plusle and Minun)

Considering this game will be having less unique newcomers than past Smash games. I can see Sakurai reviving these characters if he needs some extra clones/semi clones to up the newcomer lineup.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
How many new franchises do you see being represented for this game? When talking about newcomers, everyone mentions characters for already repped series, but rarely new franchises. There has to be at least a couple, right?

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
How many new franchises do you see being represented for this game? When talking about newcomers, everyone mentions characters for already repped series, but rarely new franchises. There has to be at least a couple, right?
That all depends on how many newcomers we get, but in assuming that there is only going to be 5 more newcomers (in addition to the 2 we already have and not counting Echo Fighters), I would say 2-3 more series represented. This is also counting 1 of those as potentially being a new 3rd party series represented as well.

In terms of predicting a new series to be added to SSB, well if Splatoon represents a new series from Nintendo's console line then I reckon another series will be added representing the handheld side of things. This could be a newer series such as Dillon's Rolling Western, Pushmo, or Box Boy, or alternatively an older series such as Rhythm Heaven or Golden Sun.

For a weirder series that could be potentially be represented, we could always a newcomer representing either Art Academy or Style Savvy; they were popular Nintendo series without much form of representation in SSB so far. There is also potential for a retro/older series such as Balloon Fight, the Excite series, and the Puzzle League series.

I feel people are now more aware of Project Zero/Fatal Frame series thanks to the latest entry and Nintendo Directs, so despite the whole co-ownership matter, I could see a playable newcomer from that series.

ARMS, Ever Oasis and Sushi Striker are new Nintendo series though I feel they might be too new with that final plan in December 2015 (with work starting a few months later, which leaves a little leeway)... DLC perhaps?

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
So I guess if I were to make a prediction post e3 and it can only be 6 more, I guess I'll go with:

Simon (that one leak that's been right so far)
King K Rool (game plan was finalized at the end of 2015 and he was huge on the ballot around that time)
Dixie Kong (has been considered before)
Decidueye (sakurai did get info of Greninja before x and y was released)
Geno (Sakurai has wanted to put him in for a while)
Rayman (another one that was big on the ballot and also had unused amiibo data show up in the 2016 release of Mario maker 3DS next to Roy and ryu's amiibo data, right after ultimate's plan was finalized end of 2015, which is a pretty big fish if you ask me https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_Maker_for_Nintendo_3DS)

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
There honestly aren't a ton of new franchises to pull from at this point. Particularly from circa late 2015. As Souldin mentioned, we have a lot of the smaller budget Nintendo characters like Dillion and Qbby. None of those characters really have had much of an impact, and are generally not as supported by the community either. Dillion is the only one I've seen with really any support, and at least he was an assist trophy in Smash 4. I'm inclined to say he is possible, but his inclusion could go either way.

Captain Toad was pretty much the only new major IP around that time, and he was one of the few breakout new characters from the Wii U/3DS era. So I'll say he is possible as well. ARMS is so recent and the comments from the producer of that game don't inspire any confidence in an ARMS character's inclusion. ARMS is the only one I see, Ever Oasis and Sushi Striker especially are entirely too recent entries and probably lack the fanfare or initial moveset viability to be included.

Everything else from that period comes from established franchises. We still do have lots of old characters to pull from. Golden Sun, Chibi-Robo, and Rhythm Heaven are all more recent IPs to pull from if Sakurai wanted to include them, with Isaac having the benefit of being a highly requested character and Rhythm Heaven having support from Smash 4's supposed cuts.

That basically leaves further back at that point, so retro reps or more one off characters. Geno is in a bit of weird place, but kind of represents Super Mario RPG more than just a Mario newcomer. Lip, Mach Rider, and Excite Biker are some other retro characters from unrepresented series/games.

There's just not a ton of new franchises Sakurai has to pull from at this point. There are a couple more glaring omissions in modern IPs, and DLC makes ARMS fair game I believe, but mostly the roster could use spreading out representation to other beloved series. For newcomers, that's basically the choice that will satisfy the most people. We're at a wonderful point where there are limited options for newcomers. We have increasingly obscure newcomers from old games as one choice, third parties as another, bolstering represented franchises with new characters, or filling the lineup with Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters :chuckle:

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
I have some questions:

1. Are the Chorus Kids or Karate Joe distinct enough in personality and design to be added in Smash? They look like webcomic stick figures to me.
2. How important is Impa if her appearances as an old lady don't count? I really think they don't count because a character has to be cohesive, otherwise why make the series about characters? Add a ****ing Goomba then.
3. Can someone just help me with my roster already? I'm designing it to have all the remaining All Stars, but I'm missing two characters. So far (in addition to Ridley, Inkling, Daisy, and Snake) I have Bandana Dee, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Paper Mario, Celica, Isaac, 9 Volt from WarioWare, Rex & Pyra, and Crash Bandicoot.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
There honestly aren't a ton of new franchises to pull from at this point. Particularly from circa late 2015. As Souldin mentioned, we have a lot of the smaller budget Nintendo characters like Dillion and Qbby. None of those characters really have had much of an impact, and are generally not as supported by the community either. Dillion is the only one I've seen with really any support, and at least he was an assist trophy in Smash 4. I'm inclined to say he is possible, but his inclusion could go either way.

Captain Toad was pretty much the only new major IP around that time, and he was one of the few breakout new characters from the Wii U/3DS era. So I'll say he is possible as well. ARMS is so recent and the comments from the producer of that game don't inspire any confidence in an ARMS character's inclusion. ARMS is the only one I see, Ever Oasis and Sushi Striker especially are entirely too recent entries and probably lack the fanfare or initial moveset viability to be included.

Everything else from that period comes from established franchises. We still do have lots of old characters to pull from. Golden Sun, Chibi-Robo, and Rhythm Heaven are all more recent IPs to pull from if Sakurai wanted to include them, with Isaac having the benefit of being a highly requested character and Rhythm Heaven having support from Smash 4's supposed cuts.

That basically leaves further back at that point, so retro reps or more one off characters. Geno is in a bit of weird place, but kind of represents Super Mario RPG more than just a Mario newcomer. Lip, Mach Rider, and Excite Biker are some other retro characters from unrepresented series/games.

There's just not a ton of new franchises Sakurai has to pull from at this point.
But there is a lot to pull from. They just aren't super popular or huge new things. At this point, why not pull from small or obscure IP?

But I get what you are saying. You're saying thiere's not a lot that Sakurai is would want to pull from, not what he could pull from. Because there are still, literally hundreds of games and series from across Nintendo history he could use if he wanted to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

3. Can someone just help me with my roster already? I'm designing it to have all the remaining All Stars, but I'm missing three characters. So far (in addition to Ridley, Inkling, Daisy, and Snake) I have Bandana Dee, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Paper Mario, Celica, Isaac, Rex & Pyra, and Crash Bandicoot.
You're forgetting Shrek. The most important all-star

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I have some questions:

1. Are the Chorus Kids or Karate Joe distinct enough in personality and design to be added in Smash? They look like webcomic stick figures to me.
2. How important is Impa if her appearances as an old lady don't count? I really think they don't count because a character has to be cohesive, otherwise why make the series about characters? Add a ****ing Goomba then.
3. Can someone just help me with my roster already? I'm designing it to have all the remaining All Stars, but I'm missing two characters. So far (in addition to Ridley, Inkling, Daisy, and Snake) I have Bandana Dee, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Paper Mario, Celica, Isaac, 9 Volt from WarioWare, Rex & Pyra, and Crash Bandicoot.
May I suggest Pig Ganon and Dark Matter? Ganon's arguably more iconic an all-star than Ganondorf is and Dark Matter would be a decent representative of Kirby final bosses.

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
May I suggest Pig Ganon and Dark Matter? Ganon's arguably more iconic an all-star than Ganondorf is and Dark Matter would be a decent representative of Kirby final bosses.
Ganondorf represents Pig Ganon pretty well. As much as I think Ganon deserves a shot, I don't want the Zelda series to be so flooded with the same characters. There's Zelda and Sheik, Link, Young Link, Toon Link, potentially Toon Zelda, and now Pig Ganon? It's bad design.

I'll add Dark Matter.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I have some questions:

3. Can someone just help me with my roster already? I'm designing it to have all the remaining All Stars, but I'm missing three characters. So far (in addition to Ridley, Inkling, Daisy, and Snake) I have Bandana Dee, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Paper Mario, Celica, Isaac, Rex & Pyra, and Crash Bandicoot.
1) Well Karate Joe has been in every single Rhythm Heaven game, and you'd likely be able to gather a personality of the character from his appearances across each game. Their 'webcomic stick figure' design as you put it would actually allow them to stand out more.

2) I don't see why her appearances as an old lady wouldn't count. We don't judge Ganondorf's importance based on just his human appearance, otherwise he'd have only starred in roughly... 3 or 4 games of the Zelda series.

Each of the Impa's, much like the Link's and Zelda's have been different anyway, even if the Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors were more athletic designs. Role wise, I feel she does a lot more in the latter two than OoT.

If we're talking important Zelda series characters though, after the trio of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf, technically the next most important character would be Tingle. He's the only Zelda character whose gone on to be the lead character in his own games; 3-4 of them I believe. You could even say he was once playable in a mainline Zelda game as well, through the usage of the Tingle Tuner in Wind Waker. So if we're rating Zelda series characters solely by importance, I'd say Tingle is more likely.

3) I can understand Badanna Dee, King K. Rool and Dixie Kong, but what makes you say the other 5 count as all-stars (well, Crash is an icon, but not for any Nintendo appearance). In terms of likely additions, I'd say Isabelle and Ashley (WarioWare) are likely additions from pre-existing series in SSB. I would also count any lead character of a Nintendo IP as a Nintendo All-Star, which there are plenty of series without playable reps. Oh, the Yoshi series and F-Zero series are the only two SSB64 series without 2nd reps... so might be worth suggesting Kamek and Black Shadow (not sure on their chances though).

In terms of new to SSB series additions... well Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western could work wonders and has 3 3DS games (the latest is even physical in some regions). He appears to be a good rising star. For a retro series addition, I would say the most likely currently are Balloon Fighter, Exitebiker, and Lip, though I feel it worth mentioning Bubbles as well (from what I've gathered, she appears to be Nintendo's first female protagonist). I'd have mentioned Starfy, but he's already an Assist Trophy. Art Academy and Style Savvy might not directly appeal to the SSB crowd, but they are important Nintendo series, and could have a playable rep much like Wii Fit now does.

I'll admit, I'm only throwing out suggestions here rather than a concise answer. Who have you got on this roster of yours so far?

There's just not a ton of new franchises Sakurai has to pull from at this point. There are a couple more glaring omissions in modern IPs, and DLC makes ARMS fair game I believe, but mostly the roster could use spreading out representation to other beloved series. For newcomers, that's basically the choice that will satisfy the most people. We're at a wonderful point where there are limited options for newcomers. We have increasingly obscure newcomers from old games as one choice, third parties as another, bolstering represented franchises with new characters, or filling the lineup with Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters :chuckle:
I'd argue that there are plenty of series Sakurai could pull from, Nintendo posses an unbelievable amount of IPs, it's just questioning which ones are more likely/important to add in first. The Wars series stretches back to the Famicom/NES and has many games under it's belt thanks to a revival on the GBA... but the future of the series is uncertain. Sin and Punishment got itself a sequel back on the Wii, but might it have missed out on it's more likely chances for a playable rep. Stary is from a 5 game series, Custom Robo has the same amount I believe, and Wave Race/1080 combined do (they are so connected, it feels like a Mario and Yoshi series situation with those two). For another retro outside of the three mentioned earlier (I think they are the most likely) Bubbles from Clu-Clu Land I believe is Nintendo's first female protagonist and Chibi-Robo... I actually forgot about the poor fellow; he could really do with some love and he is still relevant. Then there also the more... 'casual' (hate that term) appealing series such as Art Academy and Style Savvy; sold well, targeted key areas, relevant, and have the potential for a playable rep like Wii Fit does.

Of course, I do get your point, and it is certainly harder to establish which series should or are more likely to get in when competing for an unknown but supposedly less amount of slots. Certain key characters are not playable in SSB (King K. Rool, Dixie Kong), certain characters have become key over the years (Bandanna Dee, Isabelle) and the balance of representation is really skewed in favour of some series (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon and Fire Emblem have so many... in part thanks to clones and echoes).

I also realise that Koopaui stole my thunder, by basically saying all this before me but way more concise. Thanks for the mention though.

But there is a lot to pull from. They just aren't super popular or huge new things. At this point, why not pull from small or obscure IP?

But I get what you are saying. You're saying thiere's not a lot that Sakurai is would want to pull from, not what he could pull from. Because there are still, literally hundreds of games and series from across Nintendo history he could use if he wanted to.
Ah; you beat me to it. Nintendo have so many IPs, so many lesser known ones, and it would be fantastic to give them the chance to be known through the marketing capabilities of SSB. I myself learnt a lot about Nintendo's huge library of game characters through the trophies in Melee; though more prominent roles for these series through Stages, Assist Trophies and of course, playable characters, would be fantastic.

When try to break it down to the most likely series to be added into SSB, it sounds like there aren't too many left. It's just that Nintendo hasn't used a lot of those series recently or they just aren't as well known for one reason or another. There are only a few with the relevancy factor, but so many glorious ones to pull from Nintendo's past, and hopefully, give some a future.

I'm always happy to see a more obscure Nintendo IP get the limelight, and I feel I could guess from your avatar a series you'd like to see a playable rep for.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Yeah, that was more my point. Though not many franchises to pull from still stands, because most of Nintendo's franchises have at least some representation at this point. Golden Sun, Chibi-Robo, and Rhythm Heaven are arguably the biggest three. There are lots of individual Nintendo games to pull from, or series that aren't necessarily premiere franchises. Saki from Sin and Punishment, your avatar of Barbara (so confused as to why we haven't at least seen her assist trophy retained), Ayumi from Detective Famicon Club, Ray Mark III from Custom Robo, and countless others. As much as I'd love to see some of these games get playable characters, I don't really know how big of a reveal they could be.

Just in terms of major franchises to pull from I meant, there's a not left that doesn't have at least some representation in playable form. Some of those searching for representation don't always have a clear cut and recognizable character either.

That's at least my logic when it comes to Smash Ultimate. Sakurai is undoubtedly making a game for the fans, so while he could easily pick from a hundred potential newcomers in Nintendo history, I think the pool of characters he is going to consider is definitely much smaller than that. A game for the fans is likely to include some of the bigger fan picks and a couple of more popular current characters as well. If most of those are realized in Smash Ultimate, I think the next Smash game's roster would be very interesting to see (On the assumption no characters are cut, which is unrealistic, but let's say there are none for the sake of discussion). If several of the fan picks get in, alongside the few rising stars of the past couple years, that backlog of unique titles becomes the new pool with significantly less resistance I believe. Beyond the assist trophies for this game turning into new characters that is.

I just think it's an interesting time to be a Smash fan honestly.

Edit: Just saw your post Soulton, and it is easy to forget some of the other franchises Nintendo has and just how many IP they have at times. Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, and Starfy are all other big name franchises I forgot to mention in any capacity as well. Nintendo doesn't have a shortage of IPs by any means, but a lot do lack obvious representation. I'd love to see unique movesets and characters from them despite that though. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo first and foremost, and I would love to see that trend continued. Despite the people who seem to want to turn it into a third party dream match simulator or a competitive only game.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
what I find interesting with new characters in general now is that it seems that we have used up most of the obvious character picks.So now Sakurai might focus on those old fan favorites people have been asking for forever.

and if we really are getting less characters this time. he might focus on making what character he does add really count. so some of the old traditional picks like a new pokemon, and a new retro. he might forgo in order to make whatever he does add be something really big and special.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I've always felt like preventing an interesting fun character from being a fighter on the ground that it's not relevant or popular was always a bad thing. What a waste of potentially great new characters. But I understand how things work, and it seems like these obscurities must remain obscurities.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I have some questions:

1. Personally I'm not sure. I have my doubts on a RH character. Stage and music I can see happening, maybe even an assist since they're very short mini games with only one or two small things they do.
2. Impa's old lady appearences count for sure. They're just not very fighter-y and most prefer her warrior incarnations from Skyward Sword, Ocarina, and Hyrule Warriors. Although I think the Impa from a Link Between World's seems like she's still got some mystical powers as a sage, alongside the older Impa in Skyward Sword.
3. Isabelle, Captain Toad and Ashley are the only faces of Nintendo I'd classify as big names missing from that list(and not deconfirmed yet), and as much as I love him 9 Volt is far less of a big deal than Ashley is in terms of star power. Third parties you could go nuts with Rayman, Spyro(although unlikely due to the butchering of his game in Japan), Banjo-Kazooie, Scorpion, Tails, Shadow, honestly the sky is the limit with third parties.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Vergeben Leak is the one that claimed every character (including snake) and ridley are in the game
Contrary to popular belief, Vergeben never made that claim. All he said was there would be no cuts and that the Ice Climbers and Snake would be returning. He said nothing about anyone else coming back. The day before the direct an anon on 4chan along with GameFAQS user loz18 said that everyone would be coming back along with a few other details including the name of the game, the Designs for Ganondorf and Zelda and Daisy being a newcomer.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So if we get another character revealed in July - whether it be complete newcomer or echo fighter - who does everyone think it’ll be?

SonicMario

Smash Master
So if we get another character revealed in July - whether it be complete newcomer or echo fighter - who does everyone think it’ll be?
If there's a reveal next month. Captain Toad's probably a strong possibility. His switch port releases then, and Smash 4 when it did mostly monthly character reveals whether they were Newcomers or veterans often revealed them in the same month as a new game release. (Sonic in October for Sonic Lost World, November had Rosalina for Super Mario 3D World, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom