• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Not to ruin the intense discussion going on but based on that development time, my Rhythm Heaven rep has just gotten more likely. The surprising lack of Rhythm Heaven in these games is astounding. Heck, Hanenbow representation exists so why not RH?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Bomb Blush Rush was in Splatoon 1, it was used in the Final Splatfest for Callie.

Also, I wouldn't count Lucario. His movie debuted in 2005 and the character heavily inspired Smash as his personality and voice are drawn from that particular character. His game debuting in 2006 doesn't change the fact that his origin comes from the year before. Lucas also has the caveat of being intended to be a 2005 character who just got hit with a delay, so you can't exactly say they looked to the future with that one either like they did with Greninja.
Also, keep in mind that Oddysey finished development before January 2017 and Breath of The Wild was delayed multiple times, one of them being for the reason relating to issues with the physics engine. Those two games getting content is no surprise to me. Those two games might as well be 2016 games for all the difference it makes. At any rate, this recent news means that Elma would be the most recent Xenoblade character and the most likely one to be chosen, should there be a newcomer from that franchise in Smash.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Not to ruin the intense discussion going on but based on that development time, my Rhythm Heaven rep has just gotten more likely. The surprising lack of Rhythm Heaven in these games is astounding. Heck, Hanenbow representation exists so why not RH?
Rhythm Heaven certainly has much better chance to get representation this time around; those rumours for SSB4 really thrust the series to people's attention and possibly gathered a few folks to vote for Rhythm Heaven representation in SSB. The new game on 3ds also helps a lot, presenting it as an active series.

I'm unsure how highly I'd rate it's chances for a playable spot with the speculated limited amount of newcomer spots (for base game at least), but I'd say it's in a decent running. I'll be shocked if it doesn't get a stage this time around. Which Rhythm Heaven rep are you particularly wanting, or do you not have a favourite pick?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I want remind everyone on something about this new news about the proposal thing

First or final proposal it doesn't matter it still likely proves we are focusing on the ballot either way

Because the roster was finalized likely not too long after because it was finalized in 2016

D

Deleted member

I also want to remind everyone that we have no idea how well each character performed, as the ballot results have never been officially released.
Judging by the fact Bayonetta was chosen because she performed well in the ballot, most of our guesses would probably be incorrect.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I also want to remind everyone that we have no idea how well each character performed, as the ballot results have never been officially released.
Judging by the fact Bayonetta was chosen because she performed well in the ballot, most of our guesses would probably be incorrect.
Yea but there's still quite a bit of characters that are safe bets of being in the base roster that were from the ballot.
(Not shoe-in safe)

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
there's a mixture of factors, but popularity helps. Bayo was likely chosen because Plat was more than game for her to be in and she has an easy moveset to port over and make unique (Even if we now know the pain behind Bayo's uniqueness). But it seems there's now a good source for them to draw the most popular ones now. One reason I think Krool is a bit strange is that I have no idea how he would play without making him similar to what bowser and dedede already do, but he's so absurdly huge even in japan that I do think he has a slight chance even then. They made Ridley work after deciding Ridley would never work in smash, so who knows.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Rhythm Heaven certainly has much better chance to get representation this time around; those rumours for SSB4 really thrust the series to people's attention and possibly gathered a few folks to vote for Rhythm Heaven representation in SSB. The new game on 3ds also helps a lot, presenting it as an active series.

I'm unsure how highly I'd rate it's chances for a playable spot with the speculated limited amount of newcomer spots (for base game at least), but I'd say it's in a decent running. I'll be shocked if it doesn't get a stage this time around. Which Rhythm Heaven rep are you particularly wanting, or do you not have a favourite pick?
I'm probably going to go with Nigel Thornberry. He's got nice hand that he likes to show off, and the Dugongs seem to agree.

Sorry. The Interviewer and wrestler memes have gotten the best of me.

Honestly, I'm kind of interested to see how a rhythm based character works. I hope Sakurai doesn't mess 'em up the same way he did with Wii Fit Trainer--seriously, those hitboxes all but killed WFT's viability in Smash 4 (maybe she receives a highly disjointed hitbox?).

Or perhaps a rhythm-based stage. Not really sure what stages could be used, however.

Edit: I wonder if there's a joke character thread--as in, for characters that have absolutely no shot at getting in, but would love to see make an appearance. Because how funny would it be if Sakurai decided to include the Angry Video Game Nerd as a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? Not as a Mii Costume--as his own fighter?

Just imagine; his Neutral Special would be the Super Scope; Side-Special would be those arching rocks that he hates in video games; down-B, he calls upon the glitch gremlin in order to switch places with the character landing an attack on him so that they instead end up attacking themselves; and up-B--his recovery? He takes a diarrhea dump on Mario's ear, launching him into the air!

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I'm probably going to go with Nigel Thornberry. He's got nice hand that he likes to show off, and the Dugongs seem to agree.

Sorry. The Interviewer and wrestler memes have gotten the best of me.

Honestly, I'm kind of interested to see how a rhythm based character works. I hope Sakurai doesn't mess 'em up the same way he did with Wii Fit Trainer--seriously, those hitboxes all but killed WFT's viability in Smash 4 (maybe she receives a highly disjointed hitbox?).

Or perhaps a rhythm-based stage. Not really sure what stages could be used, however.

Edit: I wonder if there's a joke character thread--as in, for characters that have absolutely no shot at getting in, but would love to see make an appearance. Because how funny would it be if Sakurai decided to include the Angry Video Game Nerd as a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? Not as a Mii Costume--as his own fighter?

Just imagine; his Neutral Special would be the Super Scope; Side-Special would be those arching rocks that he hates in video games; down-B, he calls upon the glitch gremlin in order to switch places with the character landing an attack on him so that they instead end up attacking themselves; and up-B--his recovery? He takes a diarrhea dump on Mario's ear, launching him into the air!
A timing based character certainly has a lot of potential, though I can imagine being really tricky to manage in a free-for-all. I'm guessing some of the moves could work akin to Wii Fit Trainer's Down B, others like how Joy-Mech-Fight/Paper Mario allow for increase damage if you press a button upon contact with an enemy. I'm kind of free-forming here, the ideas would be more specific depending on the move and what RH character we are referring to.

I was the only one of my brother's who could even somewhat use Wii Fit Trainer, though that didn't mean I was particularly good with her. I loved her Side B though.

I don't tend to consider joke characters, but I imagine it could be fun to speculate on absurd considerations. I did have one idea for a thread conversation, a funny one, but more of an unlikely yet still slightly plausible idea than a joke . If I recall correctly, Sakurai said he chose to add in Greninja based on concept art, and before the release of X and Y. It turned out that Greninja was really popular, but what if he chose differently, either back then or with this game. What if Sakurai looked at the concept art of Sun and Moon Pokémon and thought, "This Crabominable Pokémon looks cool; I'm sure he'll be really popular" Gosh, the reaction to that would be hilarious.

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
God I'm so excited. My worst fear is that the character is a secret unlockable and we wouldn't know until after launch. Marshal all the way boiiiiiisss
I hope it isn't just G&W but with Rhythm Heaven, and we actually get a rhythm based character. What that means I don't know. My idea for Marshal and a Rhythm Heaven rep in general would bring in the concept of Miss, Okay, and Superb in the moveset, where the moves will change in power as you get better Flow.

Ahhh when is the next direct already and please let it be a Rhythm Heaven trailer (for both an actual game and Smash)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Is there something more they could've added from odyssey? I've been wondering about that.. like adding a move for cappy would be hard to do because.. well you can't make mario possess another character, that would be op, lol.
I haven't played the game but my guess is they probable have some assist trophies or items they're still developping that might pay homage to odyssey.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
As someone who detests Pokemon past Gen 1, thank god for that. Call me a grandpa, but man there are some bad designs nowadays. Decidueye makes me puke and I'm shocked people like him honestly.
As someone else pointed out, Decidueye is Gen 7, not Gen 8. Gen 7 was released in 2016, so a newcomer is still very likely for the Pokemon series.

It's just NOT going to be from Gen 8, which some people have been theorizing would receive playable representation. Due to it being a 2019 title and it not even having some sort of tease akin to something like Metroid Prime 4, it's absolutely not in the cards.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
The game might just not have any Pokémon newcomers and I don't think TPC would particularly care. Pikachu and PT represent LGPE better than any Alola Pokémon could.

D

Deleted member

The game might just not have any Pokémon newcomers and I don't think TPC would particularly care. Pikachu and PT represent LGPE better than any Alola Pokémon could.
Except LGPE was not likely not even in the cards when the roster was decided.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
hmmm I can see a gen 8 Pokemon make it in only if it is late DLC and depending when development for DLC characterers take place. Other than that then yes I think Decidueye is the most deserving poke to get in. I really like gen 7 a lot, and there are a lot of other potential candidates. Deep down my top pick was Bewear as Smash is still missing a bear in the game, but by now I hope Banjo fills in that category once in for all.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I like Viridi too. I don't know how popular she is but I'd want her in for sure. <3
And if Decidueye makes it in, I'd use it for sure... like maybe as a fourthary :)

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Exactly, and even then sakurai does not have to choose whoever ranked the highest either way. He can pick and choose based on ones he deems feasible and we’d never be the wiser to it.

Nothings a for sure thing, and I think some should dial back a bit. The hubris from some of the fanbases is a rather large.

——-
On a side tangent, even if the design document was finalized, things can change. Sakurai can mosey into any studio and get pre release assets for pretty much whatever he wants with his clout, I don’t think newer characters are out of the the picture yet just because they weren’t released for us yet.

Spider-Link

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spiderlink
Switch FC
SW-6997-1119-0302
When do you suppose Simon Belmont will be announced?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If he does get announced, I'm thinking perhaps next month or a new Direct for Smash in general with some more information. The main Smash site is giving us mostly "information we already know", so it probably won't hit a newcomer for at least 2 months if it keeps that pattern up of 1 character per day. Considering there's 68 so far...

D

Deleted member

To be honest, if they add Decidueye, I will be forever satisfied.
I mean, there will still be characters I want, but I won't complain about any other addition.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
My guess is that smash direct 2 will be like 3-4 months and hopefully show us some single player stuff before the new character.

I don't really want to assume the leaker guy who said all the characters and ridley would be shown is correct (Even if Simon is a really safe bet rn) but I think he said that there are 6 unannounced characters one of them being Simon. Considering he never mentioned Daisy i'm guessing these 6 would be all originals if true but that's more optimism speaking.

It seems if there's a sumo mon it could be a similar deal to smash 4 where sakurai picked a new pokemon he liked early. This kinda leaves the potential pokemon to be a bit more wild as they wouldn't have the knowlegde we have now of Decidueye and Mimikyu's popularity, I think this kinda leaves Mimi very unlikely in favour of a starter or maybe an UB if feeling spicy. I'm half wondering on Inceneroar, because a wrestler type fighter might actually be really cool...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Simon Belmont really is in Smash, they probably will announce him on October.

To be honest, if they add Decidueye, I will be forever satisfied.
I mean, there will still be characters I want, but I won't complain about any other addition.
Forever satisfied. That's how I will be when I finally have Toad (or Captain Toad), Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, and especially Meowth (or Team Rocket :052::024::110: or Team Rocket :052::202:) in addition to the pre-Melee and pre-Brawl characters I wanted and received.

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
My guess is that smash direct 2 will be like 3-4 months and hopefully show us some single player stuff before the new character.

I don't really want to assume the leaker guy who said all the characters and ridley would be shown is correct (Even if Simon is a really safe bet rn) but I think he said that there are 6 unannounced characters one of them being Simon. Considering he never mentioned Daisy i'm guessing these 6 would be all originals if true but that's more optimism speaking.

It seems if there's a sumo mon it could be a similar deal to smash 4 where sakurai picked a new pokemon he liked early. This kinda leaves the potential pokemon to be a bit more wild as they wouldn't have the knowlegde we have now of Decidueye and Mimikyu's popularity, I think this kinda leaves Mimi very unlikely in favour of a starter or maybe an UB if feeling spicy. I'm half wondering on Inceneroar, because a wrestler type fighter might actually be really cool...
I brought it up earlier in this very thread, but I love imagining Sakurai doing that whole picking a Pokémon early thing like he did with Greninja, but then guessing completely wrong as to what he thought was going to be popular and well loved Pokémon. Like if he added Crabominable, or Shiinotic, or Bruxish or Togedemaru over the expected choices of Decidueye, Lycanroc or Mimikyu; that would be hilarious!

I'm not a fan of adding yet another Pokémon rep, particularly when we believe newcomer space is quite limited this time around, but I hope that in the case of any Pokémon addition that they are either very unique in terms of fighting and move-set... or absolutely hilarious. I think I'd be more excited for the general audience reaction than anything.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Posted a thread with my predictions, but I guess I was supposed to post it here. Oops...

~~~~~~~

Follow the pattern: Mega Man, Cloud, Daisy, and Ridley, on top of Snake returning. This is likely to be Sakurai's last game, and the last chance for all these dream characters to be in a single game together as we know it. We also know that there's only going to be a few more newcomers in the base game, probably no more than 5 or 6. This means that we're unlikely to get more oddball characters like Game & Watch and Wii Fit Trainer, and more popular, long awaited characters, like Ridley and Cloud, since these choices really count. Not only does Sakurai have over a decade of requests to go off of, but the Smash Ballot from three years ago is a valuable source of data.

But with the inclusion of Echo Fighters, there is opportunity for some low-effort characters to supplement the few completely new characters. Some people have done some wild speculation as to who would fit as Echo Fighters, most of them impractical, but there is a good chance at several making it into the game.

So here's what I'm going to predict:

Newcomers:

- Simon Belmont -

Not only was this character allegedly leaked to be included by someone who also leaked that Ridley and Daisy were going to be revealed, but Simon's been requested for a while as well. The original Castlevania games were hallmark NES titles, and Simon would have a very fresh and unique moveset to add to the game. The whip and all the sub-weapons would definitely stand out amongst the swords, guns, and fists. Previous concerns were about Konami's willingness to lend the character, especially after Snake's absence, but now Snake is back, so the bridge is definitely open for another Konami character.

- Geno -

Another longtime request, the issue has been that Square Enix holds the rights to the character. Well, not only is Nintendo working with Square for Cloud, but there was a Geno Mii costume released alongside him in Smash 4, meaning that it's known that he's a request, but Cloud was the bigger fish at the time. Now that Cloud is back again, and the request for Ridley has been fulfilled, I'd say Geno is the most likely character to be included next to Simon.

- King K. Rool -

I've never played Donkey Kong, and I know nothing about this character, but I know that he too has been a major request since before Brawl, since he's the foe of Donkey Kong. Like Metroid, the Donkey Kong representation hasn't been expanded since Brawl, and with Bowser, Ganondorf, and now Ridley all being in the game, it makes sense to finally give DK his antagonist and give Donkey Kong fans something for the first time in 10 years.

- Sora -

I've also never played Kingdom Hearts, but one doesn't have to in order to know how popular and influential it is. I imagine, despite having wielding another form of blade, that Sora's moveset would have more possibilities than a normal sword moveset. Like with Geno and Cloud, the collaboration with Square Enix allows this to be possible, though the bigger unknown would be if Disney is on board. As it turns out, Disney is teaming up with Nintendo for a game show called "Nintendo Switch Family Showdown" on Disney XD this summer, so it looks like the stars might have aligned to allow this to happen. Who knows, maybe Sora will be revealed on an episode of the show in a few months? I'm sure Disney and Square would appreciate some signal boosting for Kingdom Hearts 3, even if it's not necessarily on Switch.

- Banjo Kazooie -

A Nintendo 64 staple with fans the world over, there's no way Banjo wasn't a major character in the ballot, as well as being requested in many other places for over a decade. The roadblock has always been that Rare belongs to Microsoft now, but on multiple occasions the head of Xbox, Phil Spencer, has stated that he'd be completely okay with letting Nintendo use Banjo for Smash, so really it's just as possible as any Nintendo character. Not only that, but Nintendo and Xbox have gotten along pretty well with the development of cross-play, as well as the versions of Minecraft for Switch and 3DS, so if Sakurai wanted to fulfill this longtime request, there's nothing stopping him.

- Skull Kid -

The earliest notable non-Ganon villain of the Zelda series, combined with the increased popularity of Majora's Mask over the years, have made him a pretty hot request for a while as well. This would work great with Young Link being back, as it'd give the two a rivalry, since they come from the same game. His moveset might be tricky, but it'd give the roster one more villain, and a pretty unique one at that. This one's the least likely of my six guesses, hence why I have it at the bottom of the list, but if any new Zelda character were to be added, it would be him.

Echo Fighters:

- Dark Samus -

Dark Samus is who I voted for on the ballot, as next to Ridley, she's the best character to include for Metroid representation. Despite sharing the same body shape as Samus, her powers and moves are all very different. For a while, it made more sense for her to make it in over Ridley, given the size debate. Now that the debate has been put to rest, it doesn't make as much sense to make Dark Samus her own whole character. But it does make perfect sense to have her as an Echo Character, to give Metroid one more boost in representation. She was an Assist Trophy in Smash 4, but has been mysteriously absent so far in what we've seen in Smash Ultimate. Also absent is Samus's Dark Samus alternate color from Smash 4, perhaps to reduce confusion with the real deal? If this prediction comes true, I'll scream.

- Dixie Kong -

This would bring both Metroid and DK up to 4 characters each, as well as fulfill the longtime request for Dixie Kong. Her moveset might need a bit of work, but overall she wouldn't need too much effort to make her an echo of Diddy Kong.

- Funky Kong -

Or, Sakurai can enable Funky Mode and we get an echo of DK instead. I think Dixie is more likely, but due to his recent spotlight in DKCR on Switch, this wouldn't be too surprising.

- Shadow the Hedgehog -

Another Assist Trophy from Brawl and Smash 4, now with the potential to be given new life as a playable character due to the Echo Fighter designation, and like Dark Samus, he hasn't been seen as an Assist Trophy yet, while we now have Knuckles as one. This character's popularity has been pretty enduring ever since his introduction in Sonic Adventure 2, and would probably be one of the most popular Echo Fighters if included. Unfortunately, as an Echo Fighter, he'd have to use Sonic's moveset, which means we won't get to see Shadow wield an MP5.

- Black Shadow -

Hey, if Samus and DK get their nemeses, Falcon should get his, too! Unlike Dark Samus, Dixie, and Shadow, Black Shadow has a pretty different design from whom he'd be an echo of, adding some extra variety to the cast. Furthermore, since Ganondorf has become much more distinct from Captain Falcon, no longer just being a clone of him, the space is open for a new F-Zero character, though given F-Zero's status that one might describe as "super dead," this may be pretty unlikely. It might also be odd to have Shadow and Black Shadow at the same time.

- Ken/Akuma -

Given that they boast similar designs and movesets to Ryu, either of these characters is likely. Ken because of how similar he is to Ryu, and Akuma because he's arguably more popular, as well as having been a guest in Tekken 7 last year, meaning another guest appearance isn't farfetched.

- Blaziken -

Many people have suggested Blaziken as an echo for Captain Falcon, which is both oddly fitting and gives Gen 3 some desperately needed representation. I don't think this is likely, but since it fits well enough and fills the Gen 3 hole, I'd say it at least has a chance.

- Birdo -

Unlike Waluigi, who's a completely different body type and would require a completely different moveset, Birdo could easily get away with Yoshi's moveset. Just make her snout be a vacuum like Kirby instead of a tongue like Yoshi, and that's all that really needs to be done. But how many people are really asking for Birdo? Probably the least likely of any Echo Fighter, even if it's the least work. Also, the Super Mario Bros. 2 stage from Melee is coming back, and Birdo was a stage hazard there, so that may rule her out.

---

There's popular speculation of some other Echo Fighters, like Octoling for Inkling, other Pikmin characters over Olimar, Jeanne over Bayonetta, and Mrs. Pac Man. I consider these all highly unlikely, as up until the past few months, Octolings haven't been a big deal in Splatoon 2 and wouldn't warrant anything in Smash. Olimar already has Alph as an alt costume, so an Echo Fighter wouldn't make any sense. Bayonetta still has her Jeanne alt color, and Jeanne doesn't have anywhere near as much recognition as Bayonetta, so there's almost no way. And Mrs. Pac Man wouldn't be an Echo Fighter, she'd be an alt skin, like with Robin and Corrin.

~~~~~~~

And that's my best prediction as to who we'll see wind up in Smash Ultimate. There's no telling how many DLC characters there will be, so my guesses are about who we'll see when the game launches this December, though it's possible some of these characters may appear as DLC. The point is, I don't think we're going to get any obscure or unpopular characters this time around. This is Smash Ultimate, and there's not a lot of space for new fighters, so like Ridley, the new characters need to be ones that have been requested nonstop for a decade or more.

Hence, Waluigi, whose popularity and requests have only really existed for the past year or two, probably won't make it into the game, since most of his support is due to memes, and not due to any longtime emotional connection that's formed requests for him since Melee.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So, new here (lurked a while though) and figured I'd take a stab at guessing the newcomers. I'm guessing we'll get about 7 (+ Ridley, Daisy, and Inklings make 10 total, for base game anyway).

1) King K Rool - Obviously. It's long overdue
2) Dixie Kong - I think DK will get 2 reps. Dixie is a classic character, and the fact that she hasn't been added yet (or any other DK character since Diddy) is crazy. She can even be a semi-clone of Diddy, but with more hair-based moves and a guitar solo final smash
3) Simon Belmont - The leak. That is all
4) Mimikyu - Despite 9 reps, I think Gen 7 is bound to get another character, and I think he is just too good to pass up. He wasn't in Pokken as a main fighter, so they can still give him a unique/new fighting move set. Plus, ghost/fairy type is different
5) Banjo-Kazooie - Microsoft and Nintendo seem pretty buddy-buddy now. Banjo is in the Switch version of Minecraft. Plus, I can dream
6) Chrom - As an Ike echo. He does the Ike jump attack in an Awakening cut scene, so make it so. Plus my boy got done dirty last time
7) Impa - As a Sheik echo probably. I'll take her in anyway I can though. Sheik's new Sheikah final smash would allow for an easy echo. Just give her her SS or HW design

Probably a lot more with DLC. They can save some big characters like Bandanna Dee and Geno for that. Maybe Rayman. Edelgard for sure.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just can’t see ya getting two third parties with a limited amount of newcomers. I’m expecting it to be just Simon. Besides, third parties are easier sells for DLC.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I would be, but only because the Vergeben leak has been so accurate I’d be surprised to learn it’s mistaken.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I do think there's a strong possibility of at least one more 3rd party whether it's Simon or Rayman.

Though even if there isn't. Either way will make a nice sweetspot in regards to say... an 8-Player match.

If there is no more additional 3rd Parties in the base game. You already have Mario Vs. Sonic Vs. Pac-Man Vs. Mega Man Vs. Ryu Vs. Cloud Vs. Bayonetta Vs. Snake.

If there is another 3rd party coming. Then you can have a full non-nintendo 8-Player match not counting dittos.

I do think we'll for sure get the latter eventually with DLC. But the former already would be something to market about the game. I'm not saying they'd leave out adding more 3rd parties just for the sake of hitting a nice sweetspot for 8-Player Smash. They'll add who they can for sure. But I am certainly thinking of the possibility that if there really is no more 3rd Parties until DLC start,s they'll still have a strong marketing tool in what they have already. (What if say, Simon Belmont isn't in the base game. But what really happened is Konami suggested to hold off on Simon until DLC development begins. It'd be a greedy move, buuuuut Konami's been kind of about greed lately anyway. This arguably making Vergeben's leak a bit of a repeat of the Gematsu leak that jumped the gun and was about some early plan that got canceled or saved for later but otherwise a majority of it was technically correct)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Not only was this character allegedly leaked to be included by someone who also leaked that Ridley and Daisy were going to be revealed, but Simon's been requested for a while as well.
Who leaked Daisy? I never heard of a leak that mentioned Daisy.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Who leaked Daisy? I never heard of a leak that mentioned Daisy.
there was 1 4chan last the night before Nintendo's direct that basically said everything that happened in the direct.
I do think there's a strong possibility of at least one more 3rd party whether it's Simon or Rayman.

Though even if there isn't. Either way will make a nice sweetspot in regards to say... an 8-Player match.

If there is no more additional 3rd Parties in the base game. You already have Mario Vs. Sonic Vs. Pac-Man Vs. Mega Man Vs. Ryu Vs. Cloud Vs. Bayonetta Vs. Snake.

If there is another 3rd party coming. Then you can have a full non-nintendo 8-Player match not counting dittos.

I do think we'll for sure get the latter eventually with DLC. But the former already would be something to market about the game. I'm not saying they'd leave out adding more 3rd parties just for the sake of hitting a nice sweetspot for 8-Player Smash. They'll add who they can for sure. But I am certainly thinking of the possibility that if there really is no more 3rd Parties until DLC start,s they'll still have a strong marketing tool in what they have already. (What if say, Simon Belmont isn't in the base game. But what really happened is Konami suggested to hold off on Simon until DLC development begins. It'd be a greedy move, buuuuut Konami's been kind of about greed lately anyway. This arguably making Vergeben's leak a bit of a repeat of the Gematsu leak that jumped the gun and was about some early plan that got canceled or saved for later but otherwise a majority of it was technically correct)
If only 1 3rd party is getting in, its Geno.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
Vergeben Leak is the one that claimed every character (including snake) and ridley are in the game

IIrc his other claims are

-There are 6 more characters we have not seen, one is Simon Belmont, the others he has no clue
-There's Minecraft content as an assist or stage.

Sounds like he got the public prerelease info, so if he's right, I expect a trailer for Simon to be shown, and the other 5 to be a surprise for launch.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I am a bit out of the loop, what's the Vergeben leak?
He claimed Ridley is a newcomer and he would be the reveal newcomer at E3, ice climbers and snake comes back, also no cuts and simon Belmont a newcomer

And a possible involvement of minecraft

And he said atleast at minimum of newcomers is 6 including Simon belmont

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I just can’t see ya getting two third parties with a limited amount of newcomers. I’m expecting it to be just Simon. Besides, third parties are easier sells for DLC.
I consider Simon Belmont, Geno, and maybe Banjo Kazooie "soft 3rd party characters." That is, they aren't owned by Nintendo, but they exist exclusively or almost exclusively on Nintendo consoles. In contrast to what you might call "hard 3rd party characters" like Cloud and Snake, both of whom are more tied to the Playstation and have little to do with Nintendo.

Simon Belmont's only non-Nintendo appearance was in Harmony of Dissonance, which was a spinoff multiplayer game on Xbox Live Arcade and PS Network that is kind of like Hyrule Warriors in that it just has characters from all the games regardless of differences in space or time. The classic Castlevania games are inextricably tied to Nintendo in terms of reputation, and so is Simon Belmont. It's like the reverse of Snake, who is mostly tied to the Playstation, save for Twin Snakes and the NES games.

Geno's even more extreme in that regard, only appearing in an SNES Mario spinoff and nothing else besides a tiny cameo in the original Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, as well as the Mii Costume in Smash 4. And as I said, I believe that the Mii Costume is a sign that the demand for the character is acknowledged, but of the two Square characters, Cloud was the priority, for obvious reasons. Now that Cloud is done and returning, Geno's time to shine is now.

Banjo Kazooie is similar to Simon in that his (their?) only appearances are on Nintendo consoles (N64 and GBA), save for Nuts and Bolts, which you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that cares about it, and Rare Replay, which is just a rerelease of the three console games. Banjo Kazooie is a major part of the N64's history and has a major fanbase to the point that Yooka Laylee got millions of dollars in crowdfunding on the promise of being the true spiritual successor. And despite Rare being owned by Microsoft, the head of Xbox is totally willing to let Banjo be in the game, as noted, and Nintendo seems to have a good relationship with Microsoft, so it's 100% possible.

Sora might be a "harder" 3rd party character than those three, since KH 1 and 2 appeared on Playstation only, but many of the spinoff games only released on Nintendo handhelds and are apparently significant to the story. That's more Nintendo cred than Cloud has.

So while these characters are third party, they have more ties to Nintendo than Sonic or Snake (at least when they were included in Brawl) or Cloud even now. Those "soft" 3rd party characters may as well be considered Nintendo characters given how they range from almost exclusive to completely exclusive to Nintendo platforms.

It's not like any of these characters are Master Chief or Goku or anything, who have little to no substantial relationship with Nintendo.

Last edited:

Gryffin

Smash Cadet
Throwing my hat into the ring. 3 new characters. 2 new echo fighters.

My top request K.Rool. I think we could get an Octoling or one of the idols from Splatoon. For third party, I think Knuckles or Tails is a solid bet. A rabbid seems like a good possibility too. Not sure if they'll do a regular rabbid or literally one of the rabbids from Kingdom Battle. I would love to see one of the eight champions from breathe of the wild. Revali could easily be an echo fighter for Falco. Mipha as an original fighter is who I want most, though.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Throwing my hat into the ring. 3 new characters. 2 new echo fighters.

My top request K.Rool. I think we could get an Octoling or one of the idols from Splatoon. For third party, I think Knuckles or Tails is a solid bet. A rabbid seems like a good possibility too. Not sure if they'll do a regular rabbid or literally one of the rabbids from Kingdom Battle. I would love to see one of the eight champions from breathe of the wild. Revali could easily be an echo fighter for Falco. Mipha as an original fighter is who I want most, though.
Knuckles and the Squid Sisters are already confirmed for assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom