• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newcomer: Lloyd Irving

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
YAY! a Lloyd thread!

I was thinking of Demon Fang as his standard B. you could charge it, so you could get a single, double or triple Demon Fang.

Lloyd 4 Brawl

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Lloyd would be cool but id prefer regal or presea being even more unique.

Lauf

Smash Apprentice
Yeh Regal would be very unique kick boxing, ftw!! lol Presea would be unique, but i still hope Hector from FE would take the role as the axe user.
Shina would be cool since her choice of weapon is one of a kind

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Yeh Regal would be very unique kick boxing, ftw!! lol Presea would be unique, but i still hope Hector from FE would take the role as the axe user.
Shina would be cool since her choice of weapon is one of a kind
But how can you go wrong with an emotionless little girl with an axe? Yea sheena would be pretty good to.

Lauf

Smash Apprentice
Nah, your right you cant go wrong with her, it just that Hector from FE is imo better thats all lol

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Hmm. Loved that game, and I think Lloyd would fit just fine into Brawl... though I have to say, he was by far my least favorite playable character (personality and design-wise). He was extraordinarily generic compared to Presea or Regal, or... well, any of the other characters. Except maybe Kratos when he was just an undeveloped mysterious swordsman..
I think Regal would be my favorite. We don't have anyone who only uses his arms, and I love the shackles. Maybe his final smash could be him actually using his hands for a super powerful attack. Capoeira is awesome and I would love to see Regal kicking around other players while still looking beastly cool.

Erm. But this thread is about Lloyd. Yeah, uh, go Tales of _____ characters. Including Lloyd, I guess. Even though he was really a generic "Screw the rules" teenage boy character with a generic background and.... anyway. He didn't impress me much.

Noshiee

Smash Ace
Lloyd

Standard B: Demon Fang: slices the ground and a white shock wave comes out (can be done multiple time...max 3).

Up B: Tempest: Kirby's air hammer, but he can use it while the ground, going up.

Side B: Tiger Blade: Small jump slashing up and then down (can be done multiple times...max 3).

Down B: Fierce Demon Fang: Stabs his blades in the ground, creating a red shock wave that his several times character in front of him.

Final Smash: Falcon Crest: He will join both of his swords into one big purple blade, whilea gylph appears in the ground with colorful spheres of energy hit those inside the gylph, he then jumps, and slices done and when it hits the ground, creates a bigger explosion that sends eveyone flying (if you get coung in any part of the attack, ou could not escape from the explosion).

Presea (The best after Kratos ;) )

Standard B: Punishment: Swings her ax, very powerful move (can be done 3 times in a row).

Up B: Infliction: Jumps while swinging her ax upward in a shape of a moon (can be done 3 times in a row).

Side B: Destruction: Stabs her ax into the ground, making rocks to come of the ground and hitting those in front of her several times.

Down B: Devastation: Stabs her ax into the ground and then puls it out, creating a shock wave that sends everybody in front of her flying (chargable to make it more powerful with more range...starts charging after she stabs the ax)

Final Smash: Infernal Fury (yea, I hated the Tales of the World:RM translation for this move): Stabs her ax in the ground powerfully, charges and pulls it out in a big, powerfull, deathly and COOL giant explosion.
(She has an extension for this move where after the explosion she jumps up, charges her ax and then comes back down stabing the ax again, breaking the floor, then lots of rocks start coming out of the fissures, hitting mutliple times, and then takes the ax off the ground again, creating a even bigger and almost twice as powerful as the first explosion)

Necro Pit

Smash Cadet
I think that Lloyd would be a good addition to SSBB.
I think some of the other Tales of Symphonia characters should be in SSBB like
Kratos
Sheena
Regal
Presea

Although some of the characters could be an assit trophey as well.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Bump.

Wah!
I wanna express my deeply affectionate love for Tales of Symphonia ( best RPG ever! ) and my support for Lloyd!
...but I'm still playing the game and I'm too afraid of spoilers to read the thread.

Does the guy have any chance to be in? Like, a leaked diary entry of Sakurai's saying "Dear diary, Pacman sucks. Tales of Symphonia rules"? Anything other than the fact that he'd fit 10 times as well as any Fire Emblem character?

Noshiee

Smash Ace
well, lloyd is a namco character but is owned by nintendo or something like that, so his chances are not that high, but are still are :p

lloyd's fine, but presea rocks lol

Fawriel

Smash Master
If I could win a battle in Brawl and see Colette wiggling her finger going "I hope you learned your lesson. ^^", I would die a happy man.

...talking about characters besides Lloyd is pretty pointless, though, since even he as the main character is unlikely enough already.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
well, lloyd is a namco character but is owned by nintendo or something like that, so his chances are not that high, but are still are
Considering the amount of Sony games he's been on, I don't think he's Nintendo owned in the slightest.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Lloyd Irving for Brawl!!! He's the perfect swordsman for Brawl, if you played TOS then you should agree with me on this.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
Lloyd Rocks. he should fill the final third party slot.

I would come up with a reason, but A) he's to awesome to need one, and B) I'm too lazy right now. some talk to me in a week, and I may come back with a move set

NukeA6

Smash Master
Do we really need another swordsman? If so, they best be samurai-like or we're having clones.

Noshiee

Smash Ace
he uses two blades, not one, and aren't double-edged, which makes him different than the others, also, most of his attacks in ToS are totally different to any attack already shown, with maybe a few excetions, but enough to make him a good, original moveset.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
As much as I love Tales of Symphonia - great game - and I've played through it several times, I don't see him having that great a chance to begin with. My main problem is though that, yes, *technically* you could make him an "original" moveset, but we're basically going to end up drowning in sword-wielders...

We've got Link, Ike, even Meta Knight, Marth most likely returning, Roy has a minor possibility still anyway (or atleast someone else from Fire Emblem, possibly another sword-wielder), some people want Ganondorf returning but with his sword >.>, there's the possibility of Young/Wind-Waker Link, that Takamaru guy (don't know much about him but I know he wields a sword), heck even Pit can split his bow into daggers, but still that's a lot more original than a straight-out sword or two.

I mean we already have a few sword wielders confirmed, one or two that may return as veterans, and then the possibility of even more newcomers with swords. We're going to have *atleast* something like 4 or 5. Pleeeeeeeease I'd rather keep it to a minimum. Sure he dual-wields but to me, a sword-wielder is still a sword-wielder. Sorry Lloyd, loved the game, but I'd rather Sheena or Genis or something, yet then it wouldn't be logical to include them anyway :p

Lauf

Smash Apprentice
Well if there is another Fe chracter other than ike and marth i think it may be hector or ephriam if they considered that smash is drowning in sword users

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Do we really need another swordsman? If so, they best be samurai-like or we're having clones.
Actually, I was thinking about this. We do have swordsmen but not a dual swordsmen. Link uses mostly European-style swordfighting with a shield. Ike uses a European fighting style. Both Marth and Roy uses European fighting styles. Takamru, if added, utilizes mostly samurai techniques. Black Knight, if added, uses a big *** swrod to pummel people.

But no dual swordsmen. We may have some swordfighters but they mostly use European style of fighting.

So I think the "too many swordsmen" arguement isn't really strong.

As well, with swordusers we have from Melee: Lnk, Young King, Marth, and Roy. That's only four characters out of what....28 (I just through out that number). That is hardly drowing in sword users. It';s less then half og the total amount of roster.

Now in Brawl, we have confirmed Link, Ike, and Metaknight. That's still less then half.

Foxy

Smash Master
Lloyd is one of the best choices that could be made for a new, surprising character entry in Brawl. While it isn't too likely, it would be a very smart move.

Why he is likely/smart:

1. He was a character in of one of the best RPGs on a Nintendo console. He has nowhere near the low chances someone like Cloud has, as Namco and Tales of Symphonia are both related and endorsed by Nintendo.

2. He is the main character in the game. While it would be awesome, I doubt the game would receive more than one character as representation (as much as I would like Kratos, Zelos, Regal, Presea, or Yggdrasil), so if one obvious choice for the slot could be made, it would be clearly Lloyd. He is the main focus of the game and most players use him as they begin with him and want to stick with the character they know.

3. He ALREADY HAS A FREAKING MOVESET. All of these other low chance characters that people are talking about have often not even been seen attacking something ever. But not only is Lloyd in a game where fighting is prominent, but the battle system is nearly a mirror of the SSB engine! Coming from Melee, I found Tales of Symphonia's combat system to be natural. A shield/block button, A and A-tilts for normal attacks, B and B-tilts for special attacks, up to jump, aerial attacks, and a form of dodge, performed just like in Melee by blocking and pressing back. It would take the developers very little time to create a moveset for him, requiring almost no imagination if they feel lazy. Also, his moveset is flashy, distinctive, but not overpowered.

Smash Ace
Lloyd for brawl! I don't think that he's completely unlikely, but not quite at the same level as Megaman or Geno in terms of his chance of appearing. However, I would take him over either (or both) of those. His fighting style is unique, he has a good combination of combo and kill moves, his fighting style is very mobile, which makes him very fun for me to play. (Psi) Tempest is just a recovery move waiting to happen.

I would actually like to incorporate some of his secret techs in ToS. Lighting thrust (although it's very similar to Kratos/Zelos' lightning blad), lightning tiger and particularly grave blade would be welcome additions to his moveset. It is tempting to use sonic thrust as a smash attack (perhaps even tiger blade as an up smash: it seems weird, but I think that it would work, particularly if they toned down the total hight a bit). Sword rain would be a fine move after the A,A,A combo listed in the first post. Grave blade, in particular, would make me a happy, happy, number. It's a nice combination of range and melee ability.

I like the idea about charging demon fang into double demon fang (and perhaps demonic chaos or some sort of triple demon fang).

Foxy

Smash Master
For moveset ideas:

A - His normal A thrust.
AA - His double thrust.
AAA - His spin slash, or Sword Rain if you mash A.
A> - His normal A slash when moving.
Av - His 'poke'.
A^ - His normal A up that slashes into the air and lifts the enemy, or Tiger Blade.

B - Demon Fang, Sonic Thrust (Falcon Punch/Charge style?), or Sword Rain.
B> - Sonic Thrust/Hurricane Thrust/Lightning Thrust
OR - Demon Fang
Bv - Fierce Demon Fang, Fierce Demon Fang/Grave Blade, or Beast.
B^ (recovery) - Tempest, Rising Falcon, or Tiger Blade. All great moves for recovery style attacks.

Forward Smash - Sonic Thrust/Super Sonic Thrust/Lightning Blade/Hurricane Blade are all tempting possibilities. The have the right start-up lag in the game. Also, Beast could work.
Up Smash - Once again, Tiger Blade would work well, although Tiger Rage, Heavy Tiger Blade, or Twin Tiger Blade would be better as the first will probably be used elsewhere.
Down Smash - Really have no idea. Actually... Demonic Circle would be perfect. Standard dsmash that hits both sides.

Fearthesmash

Smash Apprentice
Lloyd is a friggin perfect match for Brawl, currently I'm torn asunder between chosing between Geno and Lloyd, currently this guy would get my vote, cause hes just so GODDAM PERFECT for SSBB. Anyone who has ever played ToS could make a reasonable moveset for this guy! also hes would be the first dual sword wielder in game, making him more unique in tersm of fighting than most sword users. Not to mention his moves are perfectly flashy for SSBB and are plenty varried.

I seriously hope this guy makes it in as third party because it would just be so dam win.

courte

Smash Lord
the too many sword users debate is so old already its not even funny, although i would like to see lloyd im more partial to cless alvein

Smash Ace
Lloyd is a friggin perfect match for Brawl, currently I'm torn asunder between chosing between Geno and Lloyd, currently this guy would get my vote, cause hes just so GODDAM PERFECT for SSBB. Anyone who has ever played ToS could make a reasonable moveset for this guy! also hes would be the first dual sword wielder in game, making him more unique in tersm of fighting than most sword users. Not to mention his moves are perfectly flashy for SSBB and are plenty varried.

I seriously hope this guy makes it in as third party because it would just be so dam win.
Aye, it would. Everyone seems to think that he has low chances, but he looks like he has a shot to me. He's not a complete shoe-in, but he's also not as unlikely as everyone appears to think.

• He's freaking awesome. As so many others have said, he's a perfect fit. Isn't that enough in and of itself? Sakurai said that he isn't excited about including only the most popular characters.
  • A rebuttal to the "Pacman is a better Namco rep" argument: this would make more sense if Namco was going to choose someone to represent them as a company. That's not what Brawl is about. Sakurai might choose someone from Namco who they think would be awesome in Brawl.
  • On Lloyd's obscurity, or lack thereof: Lloyd only has one game, Tales of Symphonia, but it was a pretty popular game. Nintendo's platforms haven't done well in the RPG department, but ToS, on the other hand, was pretty popular. He's not a shoe-in, but he's well recognized, and he might bring a few RPG players who haven't been a fan of the ssb series in.
  • Namco's relation with Nintendo: the two appear to be on pretty good terms. They sold a lot of ToS games on the Gamecube, and are creating a sequel (albeit not with Lloyd as a main character) for the Wii. It appears, from the trailer, that Lloyd will have some role in this game.
  • "There are too many sword wielders:" You have got to be kidding me. There are too many pokemon. There are too many unarmed fighters. You get the idea. Swords are so common in RPG's and adventure games that yes, there are going to be a lot of sword wielders! Guess what, you can make lots of people with unique movesets that all use swords.

Fawriel

Smash Master
  • A rebuttal to the "Pacman is a better Namco rep" argument: this would make more sense if Namco was going to choose someone to represent them as a company. That's not what Brawl is about. Sakurai might choose someone from Namco who they think would be awesome in Brawl.
Wait, there are actually people who say that Pacman would be better?
Pacman is one of the few characters whose inclusion as a playable character would seriously upset me. Yeah, so he's a videogame icon. We already have enough of those.
Pacman would have one of two forms he could appear in, the form of a simple yellow round thing with a mouth, or the later form with arms and a face and stuff.
The former would be cute as a joke character - for, like, 5 minutes. The character has no personality, no potential and no appeal besides the iconic status. It's a yellow disc with a mouth that eats stuff, and that's that.
And the latter is known only for cheap games with bad gameplay that tried to cash in on that cult status. Including this form, which boasts possibly even less personality than the former, would be a slap in the face for any serious gamer, I would say.

So, Pacman for AT, stage, or maybe boss or something, but keep that thing out of my playable roster.

Now Klonoa on the other hand is a completely different story ( and he even has Pacman on his cap ). It's either Lloyd or him, I guess.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Lloyd > Klonoa AND Pacman

I was thinking about this for a while. And though Lloyd has very little chances of getting in, I was thinking about some awesome special moves for him.

B - Demon Fang: Lloyd unleashes a wave of energy that travels along the ground. The wave deals 4%, is somewhat slow (about Bowser's running speed) and travels the distance of the main platform of SSBM Battlefield. This attack has some post-lag.
But, after pressing B once, you can combo into more of Lloyd's moves. Pressing B again with proper timing unleashes another Demon Fang, which is slightly faster, stronger (deals 6%) and bigger (but with less range). Pressing >B after this one unleashes the third hit of Demonic Chaos, a wave twice the size of the initial Demon Fang that deals 3x3% damage but has half the distance.
Pressing >B after the first Demon Fang activates Fierce Demon Fang, where Lloyd slams one of his swords on the ground and creates a short-range shockwave in front of him that deals 4x2% damage. Pressing vB after that unleashes Demonic Chaos, similar to Fierce Demon Dang except the shockwave encircles Lloyd, rather than just in front of him. The attack deals 6x2% damage.
With each additional hit, Lloyd gets a bit more post-lag. A simple Demon Fang can be used about as frequently as the Ice Climbers' neutral B, but after using Demonic Chaos, he has to rest for about 1 second before moving again.

>B - Sword Rain - Lloyd bends back, and lunges forward with a flurry of sword hits (similar to Link's A, A, A combo). The attack lasts for 1.5 seconds, and deals up to 10x2% damage.
If timed properly, though, Lloyd can perform additional moves after the combo is done. If B or >B is pressed, he can finish with a sword thrust that deals 5% damage with low knockback but high hitstun. If ^B is pressed, he finishes with Sword Rain Alpha, where he leaps into the air while slashing - this deals 5% damage and knocks opponents vertically. If VB is pressed, he short hops and slashes beneath him, which does 5% damage and acts as a meteor attack.
Like Demon Fang, Sword Rain itself has a bit of lag, but adding the finishers forces Lloyd to rest for a bit before moving again.

vB - Beast: This is Lloyd's KO move. He jabs his shoulder forward, then unleashes a a transparent blue figure in the shape of a lion's head. The shoulder jab deals no damage, but stuns an opponent long enough for Lloyd to pull off his actual attack, which does 20% damage with high knockback.
If B is pressed quickly, instead of a shoulder jab, he twirls around once, drawing nearby enemies towards him - the twirl does no damage, but the Beast attack only deals 16%.
If ^B is pressed during the Beast attack (but not if the above was used), he short hops into the air and crashes down, creating a shockwave around him that repels enemies. The Beast attack again only does 16% damage, but the shockwave deals 4% to anything it hits. Lloyd has super armor while performing this later part.
The Beast attack by itself has a lot of lag, but adding the twirl or shockwave adds a lot more.

^B - Tempest: Lloyd essentially performs a vertical version of Link's Spin Attack. The attack propels Lloyd in an arc, leaving him at the same horizontal position but moving him forward slightly less than DK's recovery. If it hits enemies, it can deal up to 5x2% damage.
If ^B is pressed twice before the attack begins, Lloyd spins diagonally instead of in an arc. The attack sends him slightly farther than the regular Tempest, but he flips backwards once after the attack is done. It deals up to 5x3%.
If ^B is pressed during the attack, once Lloyd has traveled horizontally, he keeps spinning, and travels entirely vertically about the distance of one of his jumps. Again, he does a backwards flip in midair. The extra part of the attack deals up to 3x2%.

His A attacks, aerials, grabs and Final Smash would be the same as described in the first post, but would deal less damage. Like Meta Knight, I se Lloyd as a character who focuses on racking up damage with combos, but with a few good killing moves (as that's essentially what he does in ToS).

Also, Lloyd has three games under his belt. ToS, the sequel to ToS (when it comes out), and he also appears as a playable character in Soul Calibur Legends for the Wii. He isn't just a one-shot character anymore.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Soul Calibur, eh? That puts him on the same level as Link! Nice...

Hmm... Too bad they didn't use his original voice actor in that game. That guy was awesome!

Oh, almost forgot. That's some really great B moves you made up there! Very good job!
Only, I would make Demon Fang the Side-B, Beast the neutral B, and the Down-B should be... Rising Falcon! That move's gotta be in his moveset somewhere!

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
On one of my older threads, that was closed, I think I made up a pretty awesome moveset...I'll edit that in, in a minute..btw, that is an awesome moveset, Warxe :D

courte

Smash Lord
ehh not really link for me was fun in soul calibur and while some people thought his NEW MOVES were nice [don't get me wrong i liked them] i found that they cut down on possibilities for him to have more attacks... just my opinion

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
Alright, here's the moveset I made.

A-Slash, he slashes diagonally from right to left.
AA-Twin Slash, he slashes diagonally from right to left, and then to the right once more.
AAA-Spin Slash-he slashes diagonally from the right, to the left, to the right, and then spins with his swords out.

FwdA-He slashes up and then down.
DwnA-He stabs forwards.
UpA-He slashes overhead.

B-Demon Fang, a shockwave moves across the ground. A traditional attack from the Tales series.
FwdB-Sonic Thrust, a high speed stab that breaks the sound barrier. Another traditional Tales attack.
DwnB-Sword Rain, an quick attack, made up of three-five high speed stabs, and a fourth-sixth harder stab. This is another traditional Tales attack.
UpB-Tempest, an attack that spins Lloyd through the air with his swords out. Yet another traditional Tales attack.

UAir-He slashes overhead and behind him.
DAir-He slashes below and in front of him.
FAir-He stabs with both swords in front of him
BAir-He kicks behind him.

Final Smash - Falcon's Crest/Tenshou Souhazan, where he uses his weapons, the Flamberge and Vorpal Sword to summon the Eternal Sword, and once he does this, a magic circle will appear underneath him, and energy swirls up and around him as he rises into the air. Once he does this, he will fly down with a slash, and another powerful swirl of energy comes up from the ground, doing heavy damage to the enemy but with very little knock back. Watch this video for a better idea of the attack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xhtmpw_L_c

Sooooooo, how do you all like it? Criticize it, flame it, I don't really mind.

Smash Ace
I like it. My personal take on his moveset was to make almost all of his attacks come from special moves in ToS: throws, smashes, maybe even a few aerials. In that game special attacks dominated (particularly near the end), and would portray his flashy (perhaps even a bit too flashy swordplay) well. If you don't want to go that route, your moveset is very good. What were you thinking of for smashes, throws, and the dash attack?

I'll try to post a flashy moveset based more off of his special moves (rather than normal ones) in ToS after I'm done with finals tomorrow.

Oh, and Fawriel I haven't seen anyone support Pacman per say, but I've seen them support them in comparison to Lloyd. From the first page of this thread:
Whoops, forgot about that. Then he has almost zero percent, as Pacman seems more fit to represent Namco.
There are very few characters that I actively do not want in Brawl (I mean, I can always just not play them). Pacman is one of those. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one other, Tingle.

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
Well, for his F Smash, I would have Super Sonic Thrust, D Smash would be Demonic Circle, U Smash would be just a generic stab upwards, since I don't know what tech attack he could use for it..F Throw would be Beast, D Throw would throw the enemy down and then head into Rising Falcon. U Throw would Omega/Psi Tempest (whichever goes straight up), and his back throw would be just a simple toss and a kick.

Smash Ace
I had thought of Super Sonic Thrust and Demonic Circle, but never came up with anything good for his usmash. I had wanted to reserve the tempests for his recovery, although I suppose that Omega Tempest would be fine for an up throw or even an up smash, if it is very short.

Random idea: Tiger Blade as an up smash? I could see that working; minimize the jump so that it is barely a hop.

Omega Tempest is the one that goes straight up, by the way.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Thanks for your opinion--you're stupid
Not as much as you're stupid reply, get the **** off my back, do you have a fixation with me or something? Am I so important to you that you have to reply to every single of my posts just because I disagree with you? You have such terrible taste in characters, is not my fault none of them are gonna make it, you idiot.

Pacman and Klonoa>>>>>>>>Your stupid Lloyd Irving even if you're in denial.

Top Bottom