• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newcomer: Lloyd Irving

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Before an admin will lock this, hear me out. I know that there already is a topic about Lloyd Irving. But there are 2 reasons why I didn't post this in that topic:
1. The previous topic only had 2 posts in it. There were no real suggestions in it, so probally nobody would read that topic if I would post this there.
2. The previous topic was more then 1,5 month old. I didn't want to start bumping old topics, so I decided to make a new one about Lloyd.

If these reasons still didn't give me the rights to make this topic, then I'm very sorry and accept it that you will lock this topic.

Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia:

Short biography *Warning: Spoilers*:

Lloyd Irving is a 17 years old boy who lives near a small town called Iselia. He is raised by Dirk, a dwarf who found Lloyd in the forest when he was just a baby. Who his real father and mother are, is unknown at the beginning of the game.
One of Lloyd's friends, Colette, is the Chosen of Regenaration. It is her task to bring mana back to the land of Sylvarant, wich is short on mana and is starting to decay.
Shortly after the Chosen leaves Iselia, Lloyd gets caught in an incident with the Desians, the bad guys of Sylvarant who capture humans and deport them to human ranches. The Desians burn the town of Iselia and Lloyd gets banished by the major of Iselia, since the destruction of Iselia is his fault. That's when Lloyd decides to follow Colette and join her on the journey of Regenaration.

Pictures:

Stats:
Height: 3/5
Weight: 2/5
Speed: 4/5
Jump: 3/5
Fall speed: 2/5
Power: 3/5

Movelist:

A -> A vertical slash with right sword
A, A -> 2 vertical slashes with 1th the right, then the left sword
A, A, A -> Lloyd spins around and hits everyone that is left or right from him

Ftilt -> A orizontal slash with the right sword
Utilt -> Lloyd slashes both sword upwards
Dtilt -> Lloyd slashes the left sword downwards.
Dash -> Crossward slash (Lloyd holds the sword in a cross while he dashes, so pressing would lead into a crossward slash)

B -> Double Demon Fang: Lloyd slashes 1 time with each sword wich causes 2 small, white shockwaves that move in the direction wich Lloyd is looking. The 2th shockwave has a longer range then the 1th one. Getting hit by the slashes will also cause damage.
Forward B -> Sword Rain: Lloyd will make multiple stabs with both swords. The longer you charge this attack, the more stabs he will make.
Down B -> Demonic Circle: Lloyd will make a small downward slash, jump up a little (as high as a Mario short hop) and slam hard on the ground wich will create a shockwave in a small circle. This attack will give much knockback. Getting hit by the downward slash will also knock you back, but not as much as the circle shockwave.
Up B -> Tempest: This one is pretty hard to explain but I'll try. Lloyd makes a forward double salto wich makes him create some kind of circle in the air. While he does this, he holds his swords next to this body. This causes damage to everyone he hits. (If anyone knows a better way to explain this move, please do so: my English has his limited vocabulairy). This move recovers more horizontal than vertical.
Oh and um Tempest is basically a vertical buzzsaw spinning up :)
Nair -> Lloyd stings his right sword to the right and his left sword to the left.
Fair -> Lloyd slams his right sword down, while he slashes his left one up.
Uair -> Lloyd makes a backward salto, swinging both swords upwards.
Dair -> Lloyd will soar down diagonal to the side he faces while he holds his swords in front of this head. (For those who've played ToS, I stole the idea of Rising Falcon and changed it into an aerial move). This will cause him to fastfall too. If he lands on the ground while using this attack, it will cause lag equal to Link's Dair because both Lloyd's swords will be stuck in the ground.

Grab -> Lloyd puts his right sword back and grabs the opponent by his right shoulder.
Grab attack -> Lloyd hits the opponent with the hilt of his left sword.
Fthrow -> Lloyd slashes the opponent hard with his left sword causing some knockback (a bit like Sheik's Fthrow but then with a sword in stead of a fist).
Uthrow -> Lloyd throws the opponent up and slashes him with his left sword.
Dthrow -> Lloyd spins 180 degrees and throws the opponent down.
Bthrow -> Lloyd throws the opponent to the back and stings his left sword backwards while facing the other side.

Nice idea from FireBomb:
forward throw: Beast
back throw: just a normal toss followed by a quick slash
down throw: Heavy Tiger Blade (from different angle)
up throw: Light Spear (wouldn't hurt to throw in a move his partners used, right?)

Super -> Falcon's Crest: Lloyd creates a circle of blue mana around him, causing damage to everyone who stands in it. Then there is a little explosion, causing all the opponents to fly up a little. Lloyd then jumps up, says: 'I'll show you divine justice!' and slams the ground to cause even more mana to come up. This wil deal massive damage to everyone in the circle and also sends them flying. If you want to see this attack, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xhtmpw_L_c
Here, Lloyd wins one of the hardest matches in the game with the Falcon's Crest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiU5ft-YAI4&mode=related&search=
Thanks to FireBomb for the link

Taunt:
Lloyd holds his right sword next to his head while pointing it forward, his left sword next to his belly while pointing it backwards while he says: 'Come on, bring it!'

Alternate Costumes:
Blue shirt/shoes/gloves, black pants
Green shirt/shoes/gloves, beige pants
Yellow shirt/shoes/gloves, white pants

Kirby Hat:
Lloyd's hair and a belt with the two swords in their scabbards around his belly

Victory poses:
1. -> Lloyd throws both swords up, catches them and puts them into his scabbards while he says: 'You picked the wrong guy to mess with.'
2. -> Lloyd raises his right sword, then lowers it and says: 'I was just warming up.'
3. -> Lloyd makesa diagonal slash with his left sword followed by a diagonal slash with his right sword, then stabs his right sword to the front and says: 'That was way to easy.'

Why Lloyd should be in Brawl:

Lloyd Irving is the main character in Tales of Symphonia, the only Tales of the World game for a console that has been released in the U.S. and Europe. Up till now, many people still agree that this is one of the best RPG's for the Nintendo Gamecube, together with Skies of Arcadia: Legends.
But why did I pick Lloyd then? Well, as a main character, he is with you the whole time. The only times that he isn't in your team, is if you have to split up your group (wich only happens 2 times) and when you make groups to fight in the arena. So if you like it or not, you will see him through almost the whole game.

*Warning: More spoilers*
Also, the story first focuses on Colette since she is the Chosen, but after a while it turns out that Lloyd is more important then Colette. His Exsphere (the blue sphere you can see on his left arm on the 1th picture at the top of this post) is special. It has been created in a very special experiment called the Angelus Project and was actually tested on his mother. Sadly, she didn't have a Key Crest(that's the yellow circle around Lloyd's Exsphere) around her Exsphere wich made her turn into a monster. Lloyd's father then had to kill his mother to stop her suffering. He took the Exsphere and gave it to Lloyd when he left him in the forest. This Exsphere is way more powerfull than any Exsphere that has been produced. This makes Lloyd even stronger.

My personal opinion about Lloyd is that I really love this guy. He is the strongest character in the game with the best skills. His personality is also cool, he is not too smart so this sometimes results into funny situations like when he thinks an insult was meant as a compliment. I've played ToS several times now, and everytime I played a lot with him. Of course, I also used other characters but Lloyd was my main character for reall boss battles and not for joking around.

But why should he be in Brawl then? I know that most people always complain about sword fighters. Ok, an axe fighter would indeed be cool but we also didn't have somebody who could handel two swords at the same time (no, don't start making jokes about Marth/Roy/Link/Young Link with a Laser Sword). Although it maybe isn't that likely for him to get in Brawl, he could be a decent fighter and it would please me to play with him somewhere in 2007. And then I mean, playing with him on the Wii.

EDIT: Well, I haven't seen this topic for a long time yet I'm back. I heared that a sequal of Tales of Symphonia is going to be released in Japan next year. The game is called Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk. It has been confirmed that we will see the characters from the NGC game again, yet the report of the Dutch Wiigamer site says that they will not be playable. Even though, I wouldn't be surprised if Lloyd would have a big role again. I mean, Juan was also not playable yet he was pretty important.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Yes but isn't it logical that first the main character gets in the game? I mean, for the Mario serie we got Mario. For Metroid we got Samus. For The Legend of Zelda we got Link. All are main characters. And guess who's the main character in ToS?

PhantomEdge

Smash Journeyman
He would be a pretty cool character, but would you rather have him in his chibi form or in his anime form? his chibi form seems more playable.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Lloyd IS the main character of Tales of Symphonia, after all.
I'm glad I found this because I support Lloyd all the way. Yeah yeah we know too male sword users but they can't help it if a lot of characters from Nintendo games has a sword now is it? Llyod has two, which probably doesn't help the fact that there's enough swords but it's unique anyways. The Tales series is big in Japan so I don't think he's a bad choice at all for brawl. I'm sure Namco would cooperate...

Oh and um Tempest is basically a vertical buzzsaw spinning up :)

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I think the thing is here is that the Tales series always has a different cast of characters except for at least one, just like Final Fantasy. Keeping that in mind, people can easily argue about which character from which game should be put in. Lloyd is kinda in the same boat as Cloud. But Namco doesn't have a little grudge like Square did with Nintendo in the FFVII ordeal, so who knows what Lloyd's chances are.

Another difference with Lloyd I recently found that makes him unique is that he speaks! And in Enlgish! No Japanese victory phrases or "hut hah rah!"s either

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
I'd really like him, but his chances are low aginst other third party like charecters like sonic pac-man or megaman. And there is only one or two space's for third party. But if Snake got in, why not him;) .

100links

Smash Ace
I'd really like him, but his chances are low aginst other third party like charecters like sonic pac-man or megaman. And there is only one or two space's for third party. But if Snake got in, why not him;) .[/QUOTE]i HATE when people say thaaaaat! snake got in because he A)was practiaclly BEGGED to get in and B)is a friking part on nintendo history GET IT STRAIGHT!!!!!

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
Whoops, forgot about that. Then he has almost zero percent, as Pacman seems more fit to represent Namco.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Then he would be third party sorry there are better choices for the third party slots he has no chance.
If you read the last part of my post, you would have noticed that I fear the same thing. And yeah there are better picks but who? Probally Pacman or Megaman will get in but I just don't like these guys. I know I know, my opinion will not keep them out of Brawl, but it's just sad that only because they've more games and exist longer, they automaticly have a higher chance to get in Brawl... Give the new generation his chances!

EDIT: If you look at it in a critical way, every character has a chance. You only judge him to have no chance because he is 3th party ;) .

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Yeah, but Megaman and Geno are the most popular 3rd party candidates and there is a rumor that there will only be 3 so it would be Snake, Megaman, and Geno.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I've heard more for sonic than megaman, but I'm pretty sure that the 3 3rd parties is just a rumor, and, remember, snake was asked to be in FROM the third party, so it really all depends on if the 3rd parties come to nitendo... who knows, we may end up with Banjo Kazooie instead of any of those other 4

PhantomEdge

Smash Journeyman
Whoops, forgot about that. Then he has almost zero percent, as Pacman seems more fit to represent Namco.
i know im being kind of a negative nancy but in my opinion pacman would not be a very good choice for brawl, because of his lack of moves, and because of his lame simplicity. ( though i thoght game and watch was pretty cool ;)

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I'd rather keep megaman out of it. I would think they'd make him along the same lines as samus. Lloyd would be fun to play with. I've always played as him and Kratos. I'd actually like to see Kratos over Lloyd just because I think Kratos would be a more rounded character (more projectiles and he just is a more rounded character in Tales). I'd love to see Hell Pyre as a third jump for him. It would make a nice built in defense on return.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Just a thought.

Yes, Lloyd is probably the most famous of the ToS characters in America, and was the one to bring the attention of ToS to America.

HOWEVER:

Cress is the original hero of the Tales series. He originated on the Super Famicom, and a remake of Tales of Phantasia was made for the GBA (yes I own it.)

He's probably got a high fanbase in Japan, and due to his status as original hero in the Tales series (similar to Marth in the Fire Emblem series,) I'd be willing to bet Cress would have the edge over Lloyd of getting in the game.

Admittedly, however, I would like to see Lloyd in the game.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Cloud, Sephiroth, AND Master Chief for Brawl! - Does that constitute a -3 net loss in the human race's average intelligence? :chuckle: ... Sorry, but I couldn't resist having some fun with Destruction_King's sig ...

Back on topic, if their going to include a Tales character, Lloyd fares very well as ToS has seemed to have achieved a wider audience penetration (particularly OUTSIDE of Japan) than most other titles in the Tales series - a factor which NAMCO seems to take into more consideration than most other Japanese base video game companies (where domestic often outweighs worldwide preferences) do ...

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Lloyd rocks in ToS and in Super Smash Flash.One thing though.You forgot his rising falcon!Would be an uber recovery!You rise with up+b with vertical lenth between falco's and fox's recovery,and if you press B again,he seeks in to the nearest enemy at a downward angle.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Russia just called. They lost thier space program.
It was bound to happen sooner or later... :chuckle:

At any rate, regarding the complaints relating to sword wielding characters that always seems to pop up - despite the fact Llyod falls into that category, the fatc that that he's a dual wielder guarentees a fighting style unique from the current roster of swordsmen, which is a big plus in my book...

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Oh yeah Lloyd has fans everywhere... There's a reason that there's going to be a Tales of Symphonia animation due to be shown in Japan next year. 3rd party this that here there ok already! Lloyd has a better chance than you may think. I agree that since he has two swords, he might as well be in a category all his own.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
@ Destruction King - I know what you mean and I knew somebody would bring this up sooner or later. Indeed, the Tales of the World serie has a lot of games and the very first was Tales of Phantasia wich has now been re-released on the GBA (wich I also own). Yes, he was the 1th Tales of the World character they came up with. However, there are 2 reasons why I didn't pick him.

- The popularity of the Tales of the World in the US and Europe raised by a huge amount because of ToS. In that game, Lloyd is the main character so he would be a easy pick out of the 8 other characters. ToP for the Super Famicom only reached Japan, and the GBA version didn't sell as good as expected. Yeah, it's all about selling these days.

- My personal taste. I like Lloyd over Cress. And I think most people will. Like I explained before, Lloyd's personality is great. He attracted me more than Cress did. And I think I'm not the only one with this opinion.

@ Those who don't think duals are innovative - Duals are diffrent then normals swords. Duals can be slower then swords and faster then axes. Duals can also give more damage because you strike with 2 weapons in stead of 1. Enough innovative stuff?

Moonless

Smash Rookie
Since when does the weapon of choice affect the gameplay of a character? Lloyd could be completely different than the rest of the cast while using swords. It's not as if the development team has to make every sword user alike.

And yes, I support Lloyd. He's my second favourite ToS character, and I'd love to see him in Brawl. His chances aren't too high, unfortunately.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
YEAH! I love ToS, and I think he should be in with Genis and Colette, since they are the real main 3, and they all have hi-ougis, or in this game, would probably be reffered to as Brawl Attacks. This is Lloyds moveset IMO.

B: Double Demon Fang
^B: Omega Tempest (so he geets some vertical height and doesn't end up like Bowser and DK)
>B: Super Sonic Thrust
VB: Demonic Circle

A repeatedly: Sword Rain

Dair: Rising Falcon, but going straight down.

Brawl Attack: Falcons Crest of course.

I'm not good at making full movsets, but these are some I've already thought of making.

fenixkaldoran

Smash Apprentice
Yo I hope some1 involved with brawl atleast looks over your thread casue you have put seriuos thought into llyod lol. I personally liked ToS and Lloyd....But like some other ppl have sed there are already too many sword *******s in smash.....but if lloyd was in it he would be one ofmy players

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Some other move suggestions...

forward throw: Beast
back throw: just a normal toss followed by a quick slash
down throw: Heavy Tiger Blade (from different angle)
up throw: Light Spear (wouldn't hurt to throw in a move his partners used, right?)

GreenBunny9999

Smash Apprentice
Presea was a major transitional character from disc 1 to 2 and she is a girl and she uses an axe maybe she has no chance but lots of uniqueness ,i think

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
@ Earthbound360 - The reason why I didn't use your moveset is simple. Omega Tempest would make his recovery **** good, almost too good. Super Sonic Thrust is cool, yet I like using Sword Rain more. I didn't use Sword Rain for his repeatly A attack because I like it better the way Lloyd spins around to makes 2 hits with 1 attack. Demonic Circle was also my first thought of a Down B but I didn't use it since it's a **** strong move in ToS. It would cause too much lag for a fast character in Smash (probally) and it's just to strong.

@ FireBomb - Nice thinking, I never thought of using skills as throwing moves! I'll add it.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
No prob Kujirudo, I support Lloyd all the way. :) My mind went blank for b throw, though...

And yeah, I know there are interesting characters like Presea, Kratos, Genis, and Sheena that would also be cool, but you could need the main character to help present them. You didn't see Luigi, Falco, Zelda, Meta Knight and the Pokemon get it without the main guy in first, right? That's the problem with all of these "I want ____ in Brawl!". You have to at least put the leader of the franchice in for like, backup, you know? There are some excpetions like Fire Emblem... but with so many different casts of characters, what could you do? In my mind, Lyn in the favorite out of FE, and likewise for Lloyd from Tales.

Oh yeah and uh, I'm not saying I didn't like the video you posted, but I think this video is a more impressing showing of Falcon's Crest and how powerful it can be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiU5ft-YAI4&mode=related&search=

Top Bottom