• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newcomer: Lloyd Irving

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
yeah, GREAT IDEA of wanting Lloyd in SSBB. I was about to make a thread about this but u beat me to it.

lloyd's Forward B should not be sword rain though, it should be Sonic Thrust
lloyd's sword rain should just be to tap A repeatedly, jus like Link

I also suggest Lloyd's counter-part
SPOILER : his Real dad Kratos

other Tos characters that could make it but not sure yet are:

Sheena
Colette
Zelos

And the boss fight for Lloyd if he makes the game could be Kratos his dad and if you beat him you unlock him or it would be Yggdrasil (boss of game) Or Mithos (Kid form) mithos and yggrasil same guy. one old, one young.

jus curious for a move down B or U air if he would use his RISING FALCON move he learns at level 37 in the game.
he would be in air and sweep the ground with his sword.
jus a suggestion.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Before an admin will lock this, hear me out. I know that there already is a topic about Lloyd Irving. But there are 2 reasons why I didn't post this in that topic:
1. The previous topic only had 2 posts in it. There were no real suggestions in it, so probally nobody would read that topic if I would post this there.
2. The previous topic was more then 1,5 month old. I didn't want to start bumping old topics, so I decided to make a new one about Lloyd.

If these reasons still didn't give me the rights to make this topic, then I'm very sorry and accept it that you will lock this topic.

Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia:

Short biography *Warning: Spoilers*:

Lloyd Irving is a 17 years old boy who lives near a small town called Iselia. He is raised by Dirk, a dwarf who found Lloyd in the forest when he was just a baby. Who his real father and mother are, is unknown at the beginning of the game.
One of Lloyd's friends, Colette, is the Chosen of Regenaration. It is her task to bring mana back to the land of Sylvarant, wich is short on mana and is starting to decay.
Shortly after the Chosen leaves Iselia, Lloyd gets caught in an incident with the Desians, the bad guys of Sylvarant who capture humans and deport them to human ranches. The Desians burn the town of Iselia and Lloyd gets banished by the major of Iselia, since the destruction of Iselia is his fault. That's when Lloyd decides to follow Colette and join her on the journey of Regenaration.

Pictures:

Stats:
Height: 3/5
Weight: 2/5
Speed: 4/5
Jump: 3/5
Fall speed: 2/5
Power: 3/5

Movelist:

A -> A vertical slash with right sword
A, A -> 2 vertical slashes with 1th the right, then the left sword
A, A, A -> Lloyd spins around and hits everyone that is left or right from him

Ftilt -> A orizontal slash with the right sword
Utilt -> Lloyd slashes both sword upwards
Dtilt -> Lloyd slashes the left sword downwards.
Dash -> Crossward slash (Lloyd holds the sword in a cross while he dashes, so pressing would lead into a crossward slash)

B -> Double Demon Fang: Lloyd slashes 1 time with each sword wich causes 2 small, white shockwaves that move in the direction wich Lloyd is looking. The 2th shockwave has a longer range then the 1th one. Getting hit by the slashes will also cause damage.
Forward B -> Sword Rain: Lloyd will make multiple stabs with both swords. The longer you charge this attack, the more stabs he will make.
Down B -> Demonic Circle: Lloyd will make a small downward slash, jump up a little (as high as a Mario short hop) and slam hard on the ground wich will create a shockwave in a small circle. This attack will give much knockback. Getting hit by the downward slash will also knock you back, but not as much as the circle shockwave.
Up B -> Tempest: This one is pretty hard to explain but I'll try. Lloyd makes a forward double salto wich makes him create some kind of circle in the air. While he does this, he holds his swords next to this body. This causes damage to everyone he hits. (If anyone knows a better way to explain this move, please do so: my English has his limited vocabulairy). This move recovers more horizontal than vertical.

Nair -> Lloyd stings his right sword to the right and his left sword to the left.
Fair -> Lloyd slams his right sword down, while he slashes his left one up.
Uair -> Lloyd makes a backward salto, swinging both swords upwards.
Dair -> Lloyd will soar down diagonal to the side he faces while he holds his swords in front of this head. (For those who've played ToS, I stole the idea of Rising Falcon and changed it into an aerial move). This will cause him to fastfall too. If he lands on the ground while using this attack, it will cause lag equal to Link's Dair because both Lloyd's swords will be stuck in the ground.

Grab -> Lloyd puts his right sword back and grabs the opponent by his right shoulder.
Grab attack -> Lloyd hits the opponent with the hilt of his left sword.
Fthrow -> Lloyd slashes the opponent hard with his left sword causing some knockback (a bit like Sheik's Fthrow but then with a sword in stead of a fist).
Uthrow -> Lloyd throws the opponent up and slashes him with his left sword.
Dthrow -> Lloyd spins 180 degrees and throws the opponent down.
Bthrow -> Lloyd throws the opponent to the back and stings his left sword backwards while facing the other side.

Nice idea from FireBomb:

Super -> Falcon's Crest: Lloyd creates a circle of blue mana around him, causing damage to everyone who stands in it. Then there is a little explosion, causing all the opponents to fly up a little. Lloyd then jumps up, says: 'I'll show you divine justice!' and slams the ground to cause even more mana to come up. This wil deal massive damage to everyone in the circle and also sends them flying. If you want to see this attack, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xhtmpw_L_c
Here, Lloyd wins one of the hardest matches in the game with the Falcon's Crest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiU5ft-YAI4&mode=related&search=
Thanks to FireBomb for the link

Taunt:
Lloyd holds his right sword next to his head while pointing it forward, his left sword next to his belly while pointing it backwards while he says: 'Come on, bring it!'

Alternate Costumes:
Blue shirt/shoes/gloves, black pants
Green shirt/shoes/gloves, beige pants
Yellow shirt/shoes/gloves, white pants

Kirby Hat:
Lloyd's hair and a belt with the two swords in their scabbards around his belly

Victory poses:
1. -> Lloyd throws both swords up, catches them and puts them into his scabbards while he says: 'You picked the wrong guy to mess with.'
2. -> Lloyd raises his right sword, then lowers it and says: 'I was just warming up.'
3. -> Lloyd makesa diagonal slash with his left sword followed by a diagonal slash with his right sword, then stabs his right sword to the front and says: 'That was way to easy.'

Why Lloyd should be in Brawl:

Lloyd Irving is the main character in Tales of Symphonia, the only Tales of the World game for a console that has been released in the U.S. and Europe. Up till now, many people still agree that this is one of the best RPG's for the Nintendo Gamecube, together with Skies of Arcadia: Legends.
But why did I pick Lloyd then? Well, as a main character, he is with you the whole time. The only times that he isn't in your team, is if you have to split up your group (wich only happens 2 times) and when you make groups to fight in the arena. So if you like it or not, you will see him through almost the whole game.

*Warning: More spoilers*
Also, the story first focuses on Colette since she is the Chosen, but after a while it turns out that Lloyd is more important then Colette. His Exsphere (the blue sphere you can see on his left arm on the 1th picture at the top of this post) is special. It has been created in a very special experiment called the Angelus Project and was actually tested on his mother. Sadly, she didn't have a Key Crest(that's the yellow circle around Lloyd's Exsphere) around her Exsphere wich made her turn into a monster. Lloyd's father then had to kill his mother to stop her suffering. He took the Exsphere and gave it to Lloyd when he left him in the forest. This Exsphere is way more powerfull than any Exsphere that has been produced. This makes Lloyd even stronger.

My personal opinion about Lloyd is that I really love this guy. He is the strongest character in the game with the best skills. His personality is also cool, he is not too smart so this sometimes results into funny situations like when he thinks an insult was meant as a compliment. I've played ToS several times now, and everytime I played a lot with him. Of course, I also used other characters but Lloyd was my main character for reall boss battles and not for joking around.

But why should he be in Brawl then? I know that most people always complain about sword fighters. Ok, an axe fighter would indeed be cool but we also didn't have somebody who could handel two swords at the same time (no, don't start making jokes about Marth/Roy/Link/Young Link with a Laser Sword). Although it maybe isn't that likely for him to get in Brawl, he could be a decent fighter and it would please me to play with him somewhere in 2007. And then I mean, playing with him on the Wii.
In the original game he was cell-shaded. Brawl will not put one character in that's cell-shaded. If they make he as a realistic model, it'll be a piece of crap.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Lloyd was like, level 250 in the vid. Even with EX X10, I have NO WHERE near the patience to pull that off...
Yes...I'm slowly taking over Kujirudo's first post...lol

In the original game he was cell-shaded. Brawl will not put one character in that's cell-shaded. If they make he as a realistic model, it'll be a piece of crap.
If they can turn Pit from a small cluster of pixels into what he is now, they can pull off a cel-shaded character. And if WW Link makes it, Lloyd may stay the same.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
That cell-shading thing could always be fixed. Indeed, there still is this rumor about Wind Waker Link getting in the game. And he was cell-shaded eh?

EDIT: @ V3ctorMan - Read post #39.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Sigh reviving another dead thread? Sorry. But still I think it's worth mentioning that Four Tales of Symphonia OVAs are being released. The first already having been and the second setup for this fall.

The ToS OVA 1 DVD bordered record sales for an OVA series... It may be too late for Nintendo to work on it's popularity but...

Lloyd is practically designed for Smash. He's shorter then he should be much like other characters in Melee. Duel swords plus a well known move-set. His combos are even visible in the OVAs.

Plus adding him to Brawl ups the chances of people voting for the remaining cast for the next Brawl game. Just some thoughts.

-Rev-

Smash Rookie
Atleast one tales of whatever character should get in, preferably cless/cress from ToP. ToP was the first SNES game to be 48Mbit in size, and have voice overs(not sure if star ocean was first) but to stream them, or from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_phantasia page, "Tales of Phantasia was the first Super Famicom game to be 48MBit in size and was also the first to feature streamed audio voices, made possible by sound programmer Hiroya Hatsushiba. Specifically, this sound engine was titled the "Flexible Voice Driver," and overcame the Super Famicom's small audio memory capacity by swapping short vocal samples on the fly. (This is also why .SPC samples of the game music for ToP and Star Ocean frequently sound scratchy and garbled: The files only store the initial sound samples at the time of the .spc capture, rather than similarly rotating samples during the course of the song. The "Yume Wa Owaranai" song, for instance, doesn't play any of the vocals at all, and several other songs go off-tune not far into the melody.)"

Which is why one character from tales of should make in it. but i'd rather have lloyd, because his character is much cooler, in my opinion.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Well I'm hoping that when they said "Three or Four Third Party Characters" they actually meant "Three of Four Third Party GAMES". Meaning you could have Lloyd as a hidden character followed by Kratos. As we've seen in the Melee, Marth gave way to Roy.

Also note that Colette is also interesting because she is first, a female child. A demographic only seen in Nana in Melee. And we all know that Nana's appearance in Brawl looks bad. Not to mention that half of the people on here can't even pronounce her name right let alone find it worth thinking of. Add in the fact that Colette is the Chosen and has wings... I mean she's looking like a good character for Brawl as well. Great air game potential; like the ToS characters she would fit right in to Brawl. Projectile attacks. And some nice spells to work with.

Final note for this post, both Lloyd and Colette could have alternate costumes making them into Cless and Mint from ToP. I mean they are pretty much carbon copies anyway right? lol

Giggidax

Smash Ace
lol lloyd would be an interesting addon to smash bros.
i like tales of symphonia and i promote this idea!

he would most likely be like marth or roy tho... i vote sheena in O_O but she would probably be like sheik too.. ****it.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
Atleast one tales of whatever character should get in, preferably cless/cress from ToP. ToP was the first SNES game to be 48Mbit in size, and have voice overs(not sure if star ocean was first) but to stream them, or from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_phantasia page, "Tales of Phantasia was the first Super Famicom game to be 48MBit in size and was also the first to feature streamed audio voices, made possible by sound programmer Hiroya Hatsushiba. Specifically, this sound engine was titled the "Flexible Voice Driver," and overcame the Super Famicom's small audio memory capacity by swapping short vocal samples on the fly. (This is also why .SPC samples of the game music for ToP and Star Ocean frequently sound scratchy and garbled: The files only store the initial sound samples at the time of the .spc capture, rather than similarly rotating samples during the course of the song. The "Yume Wa Owaranai" song, for instance, doesn't play any of the vocals at all, and several other songs go off-tune not far into the melody.)"

Which is why one character from tales of should make in it. but i'd rather have lloyd, because his character is much cooler, in my opinion.
tales of phantasia wasn't as 3D as ToS, plus, ToS was much more popular than ToP I think.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
LOL no. ToP had a much higher fan-base ratio-wise. However I do think ToS is the better game overall, all innovation aside.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Lloyd IMO is a much better character, personality and videogame wise, than Megaman and should be in the game over Megaman. Now how does he get in before Sonic and Geno?

Smady

Smash Master
Kratos would be better than Lloyd for ToS representation, and ToS doesn't even need representation I think. It's a fantastic Role-Playing Game and one of my favourite 'Cube games, but it's not popular enough.

However, if anyone is in it'll be Kratos. Cooler character.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
Not popular enough?

You do know that it was like, THE best RPG on the cube? Enough so that it was ported to PS2. It's origin also lies in a snes classic.

I don't care how you look at it but TOS was a great game, and I believe Lloyd would make a perfect add.

Smady

Smash Master

The moveset is excellent.

The moveset is great.

The moveset is good.

The moveset is middling.

The moveset is mediocre.

My set ratings differ from Master Warlord's in selectively grading sets from the top of the contest. This means sets which I already personally like, so to even be on this list could be considered an achievement of sorts. Of course, the lower end of the list is more questionable in that regard and is mostly reserved for sets which I feel deserve highlighting or have some redeeming qualities. Leader sets are mandatory to grade here, but newcomers are generally going to be exempt here unless I feel they make a set that deserves a two-star rating.​

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
Not popular enough?

You do know that it was like, THE best RPG on the cube? Enough so that it was ported to PS2. It's origin also lies in a snes classic.

I don't care how you look at it but TOS was a great game, and I believe Lloyd would make a perfect add.
It was probably ported to the PS2 in Japan because that's were most of the Tales fans were.

I'm not really for Lloyd in Brawl for the reasons Smash Daddy stated, as much I love the game.

Smady

Smash Master
I'm sure that Lloyd/Kratos would be too similar to FE characters anyways. It'd be great for the Tales franchise like 'Melee was for Fire Emblem, but they'd be too similar to other sword fighters.

I'm sure Namco would jump to having one of their characters in 'Brawl nonetheless. They've signed on for a tonne of games on Nintendo consoles recently.

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
If Kratos WERE in Brawl, he could have projectiles to differentiate himself, Demon Fang, Eruption, etc. Light Spear as an ^B move I guess.

Smady

Smash Master
Yaa. But they'd need to add Lloyd in the next game or at some point or add Lloyd as well as he's a sort of series staple, so they'd need to keep some of those moves up their sleeves. Maybe give Kratos his Angel design as default? I like his Judgement moves better anyways. :psycho:

-Rev-

Smash Rookie
Oh and thinking about it, up b should be tiger blade. but thats my prefrence. i think it'd fit better.

WHO?AreYou

Smash Journeyman
Lloyd for Brawl is a brilliant idea.
I loved Tales of Symphonia. Normally, i am not a huge RPG fan. Turn-based battle makes me want to take a nap. But ToS's system made it a lot more fun, and allowed me to get way more involved in an RPG.
enough ToS praise. Lloyd is a great idea for a character addition. He's the most prominent character in a very popular game with a strong fan base. And even though a card-battler like Sheena or a warlock like Genis would be more "original", Lloyd is the most likely choice. It also seems that because of some Melee stereotypes, sword users are frowned upon. But honestly, we only got to see 2 basic styles of sword play (Link/Y Link and Marth/Roy). If the sword users in the new game are given different movesets, then there's no reason why they can't be as innovative as a Sheena or Genis or Kratos.
And, IMO, Lloyd has a better chance of getting in than Pac-Man. Is pac-man more memorable? yes. But what does he have to do with nintendo? Absolutely nothing. If Pac-Man gets in, then it suddenly goes from Nintendo-exclusive to part-of-nintendo-history to any-famous-video-game-character. Yes he's popular, but honestly, he'd have no place in a fighter, no less a Nintendo fighter.
Lloyd will probably not get into Brawl. But he is a good character that I personally would love to see in Brawl. And hey, we've seen weirder character choices (Game&Watch anyone?)

Osi

Smash Ace
I would love to see Kratos in brawl. Sorry for bumping a thread about another character, but it seems like the right place to put it. He was complex and added a ton to the story line. I think the battle system of tales would make them fit into smash so easy it is a bit foolish for the development team to overlook them. All the tales characters could make nice additions.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
the only was kratos would make it is if lloyd made it. they wouldnt put any character from a game in before the main character from that game.

but i think ToS characters would be perfect additions to smash. am i the only one that switched the R button to be guard, just to make it feel more like smash??? when you play like that, you realize it was meant to be. lloyd for brawl!!!!!!!!! (raine would definitely need to be in as well though.)

ZeldaFox38

Smash Lord
Interesting idea, but I don't know how well it would fly. True, Tales of Symphonia is one of the best RPGs for the console, but I think it'd be a long stretch.

BTW, ToS fans--I rock at Regal Bryant. XD

Brawlman

Smash Ace
I, pesonaly, would love for Lloyd to be in Brawl. But with only 3 or 4 spots for third-party characters, it's not very likely.

BUT!...There's still a chance! LLOYD FOR BRAWL! LLOYD FOR BRAWL! LLOYD FOR BRAWL!

...I'll shut up now.

Vali

Smash Ace
TALES OF FREAKIN SYMPHONIA SEQUEL COMING TO WII!!!!

http://ds.ign.com/articles/806/806795p1.html

Excuse my excitment, I'm a huge fan of the original. I'm not sure if this help's Lloyd's chances of appearing in Brawl, but it sure doesn't hurt.
Who cares if it might not help? It's a Tales of FREAKIN Symphonia sequal ;D Of course I listened to the Wii IGN podcast for last week (to catch up on the Wii E3 news I missed due to being away) so I already knew, but confirmed for Spring '08 with another Tales game arriving on DS at some point makes the joy all the sweeter.

Still dunno how strongly I feel about real-time vs turn based though. ToS while being a really really awesome GC game still doesn't hold a candle to the FF series 7-9 for me at least. While the story got "complex" (can't really think of a better word, but it really wasn't complex as such) I just felt certain aspects of it was lacking. That and the VA was quite bad, so much so that ToS was played with voices strictly off. Was pretty weird hearing the voices again at the ending FMV.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Who cares if it might not help? It's a Tales of FREAKIN Symphonia sequal ;D Of course I listened to the Wii IGN podcast for last week (to catch up on the Wii E3 news I missed due to being away) so I already knew, but confirmed for Spring '08 with another Tales game arriving on DS at some point makes the joy all the sweeter.

Still dunno how strongly I feel about real-time vs turn based though. ToS while being a really really awesome GC game still doesn't hold a candle to the FF series 7-9 for me at least. While the story got "complex" (can't really think of a better word, but it really wasn't complex as such) I just felt certain aspects of it was lacking. That and the VA was quite bad, so much so that ToS was played with voices strictly off. Was pretty weird hearing the voices again at the ending FMV.
I like turnbased RPGs too (Dragon Quest VII owns all!) but if for pure multiplayer RPG bliss, you can't top playing Symphonia's real time battles with two or three friends.

Personally, I love Symphonia's cheesy storyline and over-the-top voice acting - but that's just me.

Arteen

Smash Lord

Excuse my excitment, I'm a huge fan of the original. I'm not sure if this help's Lloyd's chances of appearing in Brawl, but it sure doesn't hurt.
That's awesome news! The new ToS OVAs will certainly tide me over until more information on ToS:Wii is released. ToS is one of my favorite games of all time, and it makes for great multiplayer if you can get some people who are willing to play through it.

Much of ToS lends itself to fitting well in Brawl. The character designs are distinctive, there is a variety of fighting styles, and all the moves in the game could easily be translated to moves in Brawl. I think it would be great to see a ToS character in, but it's probably not going to happen, unfortunately.

Sgt.Frog

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why not, his clothes are a little ******** though haha.
I know someone who'd love to see him appear. And ToS was a hit game as it is, i've never played it though - it's SO rare.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Now I'm getting wet dreams about the Brawl story mode AND about this game :D.

EDIT: Just found this on a Dutch site:
Van de Wii-versie is de eerste informatie vrijgegeven. De twee hoofdpersonages dragen de namen Emile Castagnie en Malta. Zoals al eerder vermeld is de game een vervolg op Tales of Symphonia op de Gamecube en om precies te zijn speelt dit spel zich twee jaar later dan dat spel af.

Ook de gevechten zullen iets anders gaan dan je misschien gewend bent. Deze keer heb je ook de optie om bepaalde wezens op te roepen, welke je bijstaan tijdens gevechten. Zien we de characters van de GameCube-versie eigenlijk nog terug? Ja! Helaas zijn deze niet speelbaar. Er zijn ook wat meer beelden vrijgegeven, bekijk ze allemaal hieronder
Translation: The first ammount of info about the Wii-version has been released. The 2 main characters are called Emile Castagnie & Malta. As mentioned before, this is a sequel from Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube and it will play exactly 2 years after that game.

Also, the fights will be different than you're used to. This time you will also have the option to summon creatures who will assist you during the battles. Will we see the characters from the Gamecube-version again? Yes! Unfortunatly they aren't playable. There have been a few screenshots released, you can see them below:

Could be me, but on that last screenshot where you see Lloyd, Genis and Collete, I don't remember the background of that level. And it looks like their faces on the bottom of the screen are slightly different too. Maybe they ARE playable?

Vali

Smash Ace
I believe that could very well be right at the beginning just before Kratos joins you at the first temple? I remember fighting those guys there, and Lloyd seems to be using Demon Fang and Genis' hp is very low, i think about 71. Could be wrong though. It's definitely from ToS though not ToS2. Plus I'm waiting on some scoop from some english site before I start getting excited. Those screenshots for example could be one hell of a lot better (looks worse than the original? Or at least I prefer the cartoony graphics).

Lauf

Smash Apprentice
I can think of Lloyd's tempest as Kirby's smash b in the air except stronger and have higher priority

You know in ToS Lloyd has a dash attack and if he does gets in brawl i think they would copy that

Arteen

Smash Lord
I hope the geometry in the second game isn't just cut&pasted from the first game. Hakonesia(?) Peak and repaired Luin look exactly the same as the first game. The two new characters look kind of weird, like they don't quite fit æsthetically with the characters from the first game. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
I honestly prefer Tiger Blade, but Tempest would make a better recovery move.

Top Bottom