• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know hers works different right?

And that she has lots of other iconic moves right?

And that Fox has used that animation since Melee?

This argument in particular hurts my brain.
I'll be honest, you did get me here

I guess It's because when I Look at Min-Min, I think of Chun-Li, because both of them have Chinese Influence and have Rapid Kick Move. No they aren't the same and stuff like that, But that was where my Thought process is

Still, I don't think we get Chun-Li in this Fighter Pass. She absolutely as the merits to join, but I don't think it's her time. Plus if we get a 3rd Street Fighter Character, And Sonic still can't get a 2nd Character (More Specifically for me, Shadow), I might end up getting eaten.

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice
Hypest reveal for me had to be the Dark Pit tease at the end of Palutena's trailer because I was one of the 2 people on this planet who actually wanted him. Joker's was cool too although I knew it was Smash almost instantly. And in hindsight, Robin/Lucina's dual reveal was way too funny not to love, especially since any hard feelings Chrom and his fans had have been rectified with Ultimate.
I seriously never understood all the hate Dark Pit received. As I recall, everyone wanted Dark Pit as an alt for Pit and when he was included as his own character, suddenly everyone hated the idea of Dark Pit in Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I seriously never understood all the hate Dark Pit received. As I recall, everyone wanted Dark Pit as an alt for Pit and when he was included as his own character, suddenly everyone hated the idea of Dark Pit in Smash.
Dark Pit got to be his own character while insert most wanted here didn't. That's a good way to describe like 90% of the outrage against any character tbh, especially clones as a lot of people assume that a clone takes just as much time and resources to make as a fully fledged newcomer

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It was a combination or people not understanding that clones/echoes didn't take slots away from unique characters and Dark Pit being one of the last fighters revealed.

The last couple of fighters always get a lot of flack, no matter who it is.

Just for examples sake, I remember a lot of people being mad at Lucario, Toon Link, Wolf and especially R.O.B. back in the Brawl days.

ZelDan

Smash Master
As someone that really liked KI:U but didn't have strong interest in Dark Pit joining Smash, he basically got a "Oh okay cool, sure, why not?" reaction from me.

It helps that I could piece together that him being a clone meant he probably didn't really take up much development time anyways.

Shroob

Sup?
Dark Pit also had the death knell of being part of the good 'ol ESRB leak that everyone hated. No one wanted to accept that that was the final roster...

.....and honestly, Ultimate's spoiled me. I was very happy with that roster back then, but after Ultimate and the absolute fantastic job they've done, I can never go back to Smash 4 lol

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Dark Pit also had the death knell of being part of the good 'ol ESRB leak that everyone hated. No one wanted to accept that that was the final roster...

.....and honestly, Ultimate's spoiled me. I was very happy with that roster back then, but after Ultimate and the absolute fantastic job they've done, I can never go back to Smash 4 lol
The only reason to go back is Cloud having a bigger Nair and infinite Limit lmao. Still can't believe it took a whole ass sequel to realize Limit shouldn't last forever

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I like Sephiroth but I don’t want multiple characters from the same franchise to become the norm.
If the additional characters are ALSO gaming icons, like Zero, Bison, Raiden, Geese, Alucard, etc. are, then I'm completely okay with it.

It sure as hell beats getting another Pokemon or FE character.

Last time there weren't any real delays around, yet Byleth barely came before the deadline was reached.
Which is why they gave themselves double the deadline with Pass 2, even though it was only 1 extra character.

Is this satire?
I agree with points 1 and 3...

-FF7 got a 2nd character.
Not in the same game.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Everyone hates Dark Pit because he's honestly wasted potential (like Daisy).
It's Weird they play up the Staff in His Select Screen Portrait (in both Smash 4 and Ultimate) yet it's only his Final Smash. I think they should have at least made the Sniper his Neutral B or something. Perhaps that may have been Too Much balancing though

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I had a good bullet point list of why Dark Pit is the worst ever of all time and forever but I didn't actually write "Dark Pit" anywhere in the post so I can never go back to find it. But I'm just pleased knowing that somewhere on this site, it exists.

Now I mostly just hate him for fun.

But for real everybody.

**** that guy.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Balancing wasn't the issue. It was time.

They didn't have a lot of time when developing Doc, Lucina and Dark Pit in Smash 4.
Balancing takes alot of Time, so that Correlates with the Issue of not enough Time for Dark Pit to get a Staff Move

The Reason Echoes take So Much less time than Regular fighters is because they only are balanced against their Parent Fighter after all, compared to Regular fighters being balanced against everyone

Shroob

Sup?
It feels weird being like, 99% sure that March is when the next character will drop, but like, Amiibo dates have still yet to fail us, and assuming that Sephiroth drops the day of his presentation, or shortly after, March will be, for all intents and purposes, roughly 2 and a half months out, and Seph himself only took 2 after Steve.

It's kinda crazy to be THIS confident in anything related to Smash but, Amiibos are, if anything, consistent.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I mean, sure, if we're talking about the next character then I could see your point. But a lot of people could also argue that having "anime JRPG characters back to back is also an overlap" and we had Joker and Hero back to back. Plus Byleth, in the same pass.
I don't willfull indulge ignorance on posts. when people make claims that "all FE or anime swordsman look the same" I just ignore them. im pretty sure many other people do as well. but for dante/vergil to sephiroth there's no denying it especially when advent children sephiroth took his design ques from dante and vergil as well. devil may cry three (verils debut and advet children came out the same year.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yeah but only until FP9 has people once again reevaluating everything. :laugh:
Chun Li gets revealed and then all of a sudden we’re gonna be talking Roll, Tron Bonne, Heroine (Femdrick/Sofia), Meryl Silverburgh, Kasumi, Amy Rose, Tifa Lockhart, Terra Branford, Jeanne, Ms. Pac-Man, Shanoa, and Nakoruru.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Chun Li gets revealed and then all of a sudden we’re gonna be talking Roll, Tron Bonne, Heroine (Femdrick/Sofia), Meryl Silverburgh, Amy Rose, Tifa Lockhart, Terra Branford, Jeanne, Ms. Pac-Man, Shanoa, and Nakoruru.
If we get Chun-Li and Sephiroth back to back you can pretty much forget about discussion for any character that doesn't come from an already represented third-party series.

Until we get FP10, who comes from a new IP from a completely newly represented company. Which has people thinking FP11 will be totally new as well.

But joke's on them, because FP11 will be from Fire Emblem.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If I can give other 3rd party franchise a 2nd non echo rep it will be like this
:ultsonic:: Dr. Eggman or knuckles
:ultsnake:: Raiden
:ultmegaman:: Sigma or Zero
:ultryu:: Akuma or Chun-li
:ulthero3:: Slime
:ultpacman:: Toc-man
:ultsimon:: Dracula or Alucard
:ultbanjokazooie:: Gruntilda
:ultjoker:: Jack Frost
:ult_terry:: Athena

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If we get Chun-Li and Sephiroth back to back you can pretty much forget about discussion for any character that doesn't come from an already represented third-party series.

Until we get FP10, who comes from a new IP from a completely newly represented company. Which has people thinking FP11 will be totally new as well.

But joke's on them, because FP11 will be from Fire Emblem.
You joke, but imagine if it were Lyn.

There'd be a hilariously ironic bitter taste people would have.

On one hand, it's Lyn, a character with legitimate fan demand.

On the other..... our one Assist Trophy upgrade... would be Fire Emblem... and the fanbase would enter full-on meltdown mode.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

On the other..... our one Assist Trophy upgrade... would be Fire Emblem... and the fanbase would enter full-on meltdown mode.
But then we remember it’s Lyn, and all is right with the world.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I mean... that's just a consequence of game development. Xenosaga helped the team get the know-how to make JRPGs. That's pretty much what I'm getting from that quote.

It's a good thing, to be honest, but... I think that's more of an internal legacy for Monolith than it is for the general gaming landscape.

Like, without Bastion and Transistor there would be no Hades, but it's clear which one is more influential as a whole.
I haven't been following the entire conversation but in what way do hero, cloud, and sephiroth not cover the origins and mainstream appeal in JRPGS. the Xeno franchise having cult appeal doesn't compare to the actual popular appeal that basically the entire 3rd party lineup have.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I just realized we're getting Sephie Kirby...

If I can give other 3rd party franchise a 2nd non echo rep it will be like this
:ultsnake: Raiden
:ultmegaman: Zero
:ultsimon: Alucard
:ultryu: Bison
:ult_terry: Geese

I think that's all I'd add.
Unless we get Arthur. Then I'd also add Firebrand. :p

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Yeah. I like Lyn, and I really don't want any more FE, but if only for the sheer chaos that would stem from the final character (who has a date with the firing squad regardless of who they are) being not just another FE character, but the third FE character to close a batch of DLC, AND the only AT upgrade...

It's so egregious and would cause so much furor that it flips around to being something I can get on board with. I don't make a habit out of revelling when the fanbase goes to shambles, but the bravado of the actual sentient trollfaces who would pick that character to close things out is just something you have to admire.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Everyone hates Dark Pit because he's honestly wasted potential (like Daisy).
I think Dark Pit was poorly recieved because of certain circumstances surrounding him.

1. Various fanbases like Donkey Kong and Metroid got no new fighters while Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem got brand new fighters plus bonus clones.

2. Echo fighters were poorly revieved in Smash 4 because they lacked the "echo" branding.

I think Salurai learned a few things.

1. If your going to make an easier bonus fighter, make sure it's one that will please many fans.

2. Market them in a way that makes it clear that they didn't "steal a slot".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think one thing we have to note here is that Sephiroth broke the "No third party character already represented via a series" rule. This bodes quite well for Monster Hunter, but it also bodes well for Rex and Pyra.

Yeah, Rex and Pyra aren't third party, but it does help that Final Fantasy and Sephiroth are from the same series.

I'm not betting on Rex and Pyra like Monster Hunter, but I think it is something to note.

blackghost

Smash Champion
You mean Akuma? He's generally considered the true antagonist of Street Fighter rather than Bison.
not really. bison is the antagonist. Akuma is just really dark violent ryu. down to the wandering looking for strong opponents. Akuma is a personal demon for ryu he's not the antagonist for the story. bison has a terrorist organization and is an internationally wanted criminal.

I guess one of the biggest things Chun-Li has going for her is being basically a huge female icon in general. Like, maybe Samus is on her level but like usually if you think of a female videogame character Chun tends to be one of the first that come to mind.

Maybe Lara Croft is up there as well but i think Seph here slashed all hopes of additional SE content imma right Geno fans? :4pacman:
gotta say samus is nowhere near chun-li's level let alone lara's. Lara is in her own category.

What are your top 3 reveal trailers?
For me:

#1 Min Min for its awesome build up, pacing, humor, editing, music cues, stylized CGI, "plot"... its all there and its all so good.

#2 Bowser Jr. still has the most epic reveal trailer to me. Sephiroth's was cool but I felt more of a genuine "struggle" in Bowser Jr's. And just when the team thinks it can't get any worse, in comes the Koopalings. Its so damn epic man.

#3 Roy might sound like an odd pick but its the only Smash reveal to this day that has gotten me to laugh out loud. It's such clever usage of gameplay only footage. You can tell the devs had a crazy ass fun time making it. Its the most "fun" Smash reveal in my opinion.

What about you?
1. palutena trailer smash 4 yeah the animation was incredible and the fight was really intense.

2. sephiroth. yeah. nearly perfect.
3. brawl reveal trailer. I feel like this one is kinda forgotten because of being so old. but this trailer was great.

Last edited:

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
I seriously hope Eggman will be one of the last three. With famous villains like Bowser, Ganondorf, and Sephiroth being in, Sakurai would have to be a fool to throw away the opportunity to include another one of the most famous villains, Eggman. His well-received portrayal in the highly successful Sonic movie made him reach greater heights of fame too.

Eggman is pretty much a necessary addition at this point.

D

Deleted member

Why is everyone talking about Eggman and not Tails? I get it, Sephiroth is a villain and is brand new, but as Scoliosis Jones pointed out, we really tend to focus on characters with a similar font to the new character.

Honestly, Eggman and Tails are the top two Sonic picks if Sonic was to get another representative, and I would be very happy with both. I really like both. But I think we need to talk about Tails as well if we want to talk about a new Sonic character. Eggman is one of the most iconic villains in gaming, but Tails is like the Luigi of Mario. I am not saying that Tails is more likely than Eggman, or vice versa. It is just that I do not think we should put Tails in the closet, while we focus on Eggman. Let's focus on both. Aren't we talking about Chun-Li?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Everyone's talking about Eggman and so I have decided to Blurse you all with my hot take of the day.

I think Eggman in Smash would be a mess, most of his fights are far too different to make a singular moveset imo, sure, I can see the Egg-o-matic and the Egg Walker from SA2, but that's far too limiting in my eyes, I don't think Sakurai, the man who lovingly referenced a goddamn glitch for a third party, would want to just make **** up or be incredibly limited. Shame too, Eggman's great

Shroob

Sup?
Why is everyone talking about Eggman and not Tails? I get it, Sephiroth is a villain and is brand new, but as Scoliosis Jones pointed out, we tend to focus on characters with a similar font to the new character.

Honestly, Eggman and Tails are the top two Sonic picks if Sonic was to get another representative, and I would be very happy with both. I really like both. But I think we need to talk about Tails as well if we want to talk about a new Sonic character. Eggman is one of the most iconic villains in gaming, but Tails is like the Luigi of Mario. I am not saying that Tails is more likely than Eggman, or vice versa. It is just that I do not think we should put Tails in the closet, while we focus on Eggman. Let's focus on both. Aren't we talking about Chun-Li?
Because people get super tunnel visioned right after a reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom