• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
fortnite bad, give like pls

Seriously though, what is the deal? I've only ever played like two matches of Fortnite, so maybe I'm not the right person to have an opinion, but I don't get why the concept of Jonesy and co. in Smash is so bad. Fortnite is a bit of a phenomenon, it has an aesthetic that I think translates really well to Smash, they certainly have moveset potential... is it just "popular game bad", or everyone just wants to see their own characters in, or what?
Well, I'm sure a lot of us have characters we want, most/all of whom have been around longer than Fortnite. For me at least, it's less a feeling of "new game bad" and more a feeling of "I have a lot of characters I'd be happy to see, it would be a pretty big letdown to get Jonesy". Though, as far as new games go, we've also seen a lot of characters from new games. There is a part of me that feels like younger gamers/fans of recent, popular games just got a character to make them happy with Steve. So I'm at a point where I'd much rather see either a character I've been hoping for, or one that's popular in the speculation scene.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, I'm sure a lot of us have characters we want, most/all of whom have been around longer than Fortnite. For me at least, it's less a feeling of "new game bad" and more a feeling of "I have a lot of characters I'd be happy to see, it would be a pretty big letdown to get Jonesy". Though, as far as new games go, we've also seen a lot of characters from new games. There is a part of me that feels like younger gamers/fans of recent, popular games just got a character to make them happy with Steve. So I'm at a point where I'd much rather see either a character I've been hoping for, or one that's popular in the speculation scene.
I mean, but Minecraft is over a decade old at this point.

I'd hardly call that 'recent'. Hell, there's a lot of people in this thread around the age of 18-20 right now who grew up with Minecraft.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm pulling for Doom, Hades or Animal Crossing for GotY even though I haven't played any of the three yet and the only one I have played is FF7R

I just don't want a big-budget, cinematic, narrative-driven game to win lol

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I mean, but Minecraft is over a decade old at this point.

I'd hardly call that 'recent'. Hell, there's a lot of people in this thread around the age of 18-20 right now who grew up with Minecraft.
Well yeah, I'm aware the game itself isn't that recent. But it still remains popular among younger gamers particularly. And there's nothing wrong with throwing younger gamers a bone. It's just, y'know, they just did with our most recent character, so it makes me want something different.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Here we go. And with the anticipation comes the shroud of dread and the laughs from the shadows.

Glory2Snowstar

Smash Rookie
I’d just like to mention that if there’s ANY night to reveal Doomslayer, it’s tonight. We’re most likely getting a Western pick (just the vibe I get from TGA), Doom Eternal just came out for the Switch, and Doom’s 27th anniversary is TODAY. He’s a character with a long history with Nintendo, and the stars seem to be aligning for him.
Whether he gets in or not, I’m confident that tonight’s Fighter will be a Western rep, most likely with a gun. Fortnite seems somewhat likely depending on when they decided on the second round of DLC characters, just a matter of when Nintendo started getting interested in the series. Master Chief is also pretty likely considering Microsoft has been quite close with Nintendo’s Smash affairs, and he’s debatably Microsoft’s own mascot. He’s also the most iconic of the three character-wise, he is THE “space marine with gun” character in the same way that Erdrick is THE “medieval anime-styled swordfighter” character.
If Sakurai picked the fighters from a list like he claims he did and it’s not just a PR move, I see Doomslayer being the most likely. I’m betting you that he’ll primarily take inspiration from the older games he was in, sort of like Simon Belmont, with his newer abilities sprinkled in.

Personally, I want Doomslayer the most of these three, because my friend really wants him in and he’s the only one of us three that hasn’t gotten a character he’s really wanted in Ultimate yet (apart from Snake coming back).

Although my personally most-wanted thing for Ultimate is a FNAF Mii Costume. Horror rep, iconic series, and it fits all too well that an animatronic husk can be worn like a suit. Only problem is that I haven’t heard anything about FNAF even being noticed in Japan. But with all of the repainted merch they distribute of Blacklight Toy Phantom Funtime Springlock Molten Freddy + New Funky Mode in Hot Topic, I think the series wouldn’t struggle to capture people’s attention. And Scott would be 100% cool with it, too.

ZelDan

Smash Master
ah poop, someone from the Geno thread reached out to PracticalBrush and apparently they dont know **** either

we goin in blind boys

and if they don't know, I reckon Imran and Zhuge don't either. so therefore, JONESY BULLET DODGED BABY
Fine by me.

Both the character being a surprise and not getting Jonesy.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Booooo! Last of Us 2 nor Drauckmann doesn't deserve anything!

More like disgracing their souls.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I just woke up here in AEST and had a weird combined dream about getting the time of a school exam wrong and failing (I'm graduated) to going home and finding out King Boo was confirmed for Smash. If he's in, consider me a prophet.

Lol in actuality I'm thinking Geno/Crash/Ryu/Monster Hunter as my most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom