• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Three of my most wanted characters have been Travis, Dante and Sol Badguy for a while. The thing is that I always knew that it'd be impossible for all of them to be in the same Fighter Pass. They're 3 anime swordsmen wearing red clothing. Might as well add Lloyd Irving and Adol Christin, too.

But anyway, I'm feeling Dante's chances are looking pretty good. Let's take a look.

-Monster Hunter costumes haven't returned yet. I feel like they're saving them up for a Capcom character.
-Itsuno said that Dante should have games on the Switch before getting into Smash. He said this knowing the Switch was going to get DMC ports in just a few months.
-The definitive version of DMC3 is only on the Switch with many features like weapon switching that fans have asked for years. Kinda gives me Dragon Quest vibes, where the best version is on the Switch.

I have to say though, it will be very jarring if Dante gets in as a playable character and the trailer ends with "SMASH BROS X DANTE".
Instead it says "Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series" from SMT3 Nocturne. This is how Idon Idon wins.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

MisterMike

Smash Champion
... Okay, I'll forgive you for the Travis roasting. BUT JUST THIS ONCE!!!!!!
But that's the thing, I wasn't even trying to roast Travisbros. If it were Dante, Monster Hunter, or any other super relevant character that appeared, I would've made the exact same post.

I'm not laughing at Genobros. I'm laughing at you. Because you had to be petty and post an "I told you so" to dunk on people that wanted Travis.
When did I do that in my initial post? Are you sure you aren't misinterpreting what I was saying? Are you sure I didn't put text immediately underneath the meme arrows in order to make it crystal clear what I was dunking on? And are you absolutely sure that I wasn't singling out Travis in particular? Because I gotta say, it would be very embarassing for you if that happened to be the case.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm sorry, ignore this message if it's going to cause problems, but how can you say this when a bunch of users in that thread hang on Fatman's every word?
I mean true, but that thread has even turned on him sometimes. Chased him off for a few days. I've known fatman for a while too and honestly I don't think he's a horrible person. He's contributed a lot to discussions in the past, so I don't think he'd intentionally mislead a whole fanbase, but hell maybe I just expect the best out of people.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
“Well, at least they are in the game” is literally the most annoying thing a person can say when you are upset about a Mii costume, imo. Like no, they aren’t in the game, their likeness can be attatched to ****ty Mii characters, that’s not them in the game at all. Sometimes it’s best to say nothing, or just “yeah that sucks”.

I’ll stop ranting now, I just literally cannot focus on anything but my disappointment that Travis is off the table, that was such a gut punch.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I mean true, but that thread has even turned on him sometimes. Chased him off for a few days. I've known fatman for a while too and honestly I don't think he's a horrible person. He's contributed a lot to discussions in the past, so I don't think he'd intentionally mislead a whole fanbase, but hell maybe I just expect the best out of people.
I have nothing against Fatman as a person/poster, it's just that his info simply isn't accurate. So when I see so many people taking what he says as fact/legit I really have to question the veracity of anything they provide as evidence.

Thoughts on the sub vs dub debate?
I always watch the UK stream because I prefer the dub.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It's nice to not hear the lifeless translator but with dubs you don't have to divide your attention between the gameplay and the subtitles.

Well...with Travis out of the way... (this only IF Sqaure even gets another character).View attachment 288148
Four characters left and two of them are from Square?

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'm not sure if this is a hot take or something but I think the discussion around the returning mii costumes is a little boring.

I know that isn't the discussion going on rn I just wanted to know if anyone else feels the same way.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok you know what I actually love this explanation. Playable would have still been better any day of the millenium but I'm glad the Passing Assassin's present. Probably buying the costume for ****s and giggles too

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
My friends brought up something interesting.

We got Heihachi back with Min Min.

We just got Gil back with Steve.

Lloyd's probably coming back with the next fighter too.
I'm slapping my head at not realizing that given Gil's game involved him fighting monsters and getting treasure that he was a natural fit to come with Steve.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What makes you think Neku’s out but Lara has a chance?

And I’m not sure what 2B’s notation is supposed to mean
Nah that's the red Octoling's splattershot putting an x on Neku because they're jealous you've been giving him more attention.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil

The sub hit differently because the dub didn't drown his voice, so when he said that he was lonely because he had nobody there to laugh at his jokes, I felt that.

If he needed me around to act as a laughing soundboard or for any other random sounds to go along with the stream, I would've been down.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What makes you think Neku’s out but Lara has a chance?

And I’m not sure what 2B’s notation is supposed to mean
I wouldn't say Neku's out of the running (only Geno is), but there's not really much going for Neku as far as I know, whereas Lara is at least a megaton of a reveal. I still wouldn't say Lara is all that likely even considering that though.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well after seeing the presentation, my opinion stays partially the same for Steve; not my cup of tea, but only because he doesn't sync with my high speed/mobility playstyle, which to be fair if he was given such, hed be completely busted.

Other than that, I really love how potentially all matches with Steve, will literally be a creative roller coaster, screw those edge guard though lmao. I didn't think he had so much tools, and gadgets, and abilities.

Truly amazing, and regardless how I feel about him his Final Smash is epic, and so smug (I could go for a steak right about now). Not to mention the programmers going above and beyond the call of duty to format, change every stage to support his mining quirk.

So much dedication. As if I need anymore reason to respect this man, and it's not even my wanted character. I hope every Minecraft fan can appreciate the love Sakurai put into this character.

Damn, Sora Ltd isn't hiring...
Dang it Sakurai! I just arrived to ask for a position. *Packs everything up for the long, long flight home.
Other than Chocobo, who would probably come in tandem with Geno, we just received the last old costume from a character who wasn't thought to be a real contender.

Next one is a big deconfirmation.
Geez! Well my condolences for the Travis supporters, I'm glad that at least Sakurai acknowledged the love and support for Travis.

The next disconfirmation is definitely gonna break some support's heart, the questions is who next, and how well will they take it?

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Actually, I change my mind. I don't get how Minecraft's music being calming would be a problem when we have Animal Crossing music that has been remixed to fit within Smash.

It's like if we got Banjo and Kazooie but instead of music from one and Tooie we got music from Banjo Pilot and Grunty's Revenge.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Actually, I change my mind. I don't get how Minecraft's music being calming would be a problem when we have Animal Crossing music that has been remixed to fit within Smash.

It's like if we got Banjo and Kazooie but instead of music from one and Tooie we got music from Banjo Pilot and Grunty's Revenge.
After "Environmental Noises", there's little excuse.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I liked Steve, its a very original fighter, its so “WTF fighter” that reminds me the first time I see Mr Game & Watch in Melee. Can’t wait for 13/10 to see well how it plays. Also, listen to his music, liked “Halland” tracks (I don’t play Minecraft so I don’t know anything about its music lol). The stage is cool also but don’t understand if it has an in-game day/night cycle or it randomly selects you if its either day or night.

Regarding Mii Costumes; liked Bomberman (its almost the same as his assist trophy) and maybe I will buy it (shame that is doesn’t come with a new track). RIP Travis, wasn’t a big fan of him but know he has fan demand in smash cycles, some people will not be too much satisfied.

As for speculation; I have a feeling that we won’t get a Bandai-Namco fighter, I think they will slowly dropped a new mii fighter costume in each CP. Next could be Lloyd and then new B-N mii costumes like Solaire (or anyone of Dark Souls), Nightmare and KOS-MOS, just to example some potential candidates.

I also think is likely that CP8 will released early 2021 as next Amiibo is “2021” without any specific date.

blackghost

Smash Champion
this is gonanbe a somewhat long post

i was taught once is an incident. twice is a coincidence. and three times is a pattern. i really do not beleive every character in this pack will be super complex so the next one i think will be a retro character as they are usually simpler and have less gameplay mechanics attached to them. (so im thinking crash or something)

there's no need to take shots at the travis touchdown community. they had some hope let them mourn in peace.

third parties are only getting in with massive game history or impact if Square is getting someone else 1.lara 2. 2b 3. brave default 4. sephiroth i dont think there is anyone esle left to consider for square. capcom is looking like a 3 headed race: dante, monster hunter, and phoenix wright. phoenix dropped for me after the steve direct because its resource character v resource character.

now for the character of steve himself:

like hero he is gonna rushed to death but also like hero if he sets up it will be a bad time. but unlike hero there is a further complication and that is materials. on certain stages this character wont even have a side b. meaning he will have zero ranged threats and no movement speed to close the gap. this is the first character that can be couterpicked on more than one stage element. that alone hurts his competitive standing. Once we know where his best materials are, those stages simply get banned. the limited ultimate stage pool may kill this character at launch.

steve also may be the best edge guard character in the game. not because of wall-building but because of ceiling-building. he can make every single stage lylat. I really dont know if people will like the one-button edge guarding he will be doing. overall the character is complex which i dont know why people are surprised, Minecraft is not basic as a game or concept of a game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I wouldn't be surprised if licensing was an issue, Notch apparantly has the music license, meaning 1: More royalties and 2: Acknowledging Notch, neither would be very desireable and we avoidable

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Probably because they had to make a choice about what tracks to remix due to limited time and resources, unlike Animal Crossing, which is a first party series.

That's what I imagine happened, at least. Since most tracks had to be remixed, they probably used a more self-contained approach.

Shroob

Sup?
I guess I wasn't really paying attention much to some of the previous Mii Fighters, so seeing Bomberman with his lanky limbs and not stubby Mii arms was a bit surprising, even though a lot of costumes have this in the past.

....So if ATs can be.....promoted(?) to Mii costumes, can Shovel Knight please, and bring Strike the Earth! with him?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

This is my only major gripe about this situation. There are some pretty epic tracks in there too, not just relaxing ones. They should have at least included Sweden.

Some people in the replies mentioned they thought the hashtag was referring to Travis Scott.
Time to look up who the heck Travis Scott is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom