• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm almost certain Steve was planned or considered since Banjo released. I can imagine they were gonna make a Steve costume but Nintendo, Microsoft and/or Sakurai decided to leave the door open for Steve in the future.
We just had reliable sources say this was planned since 2017

Anyway this is the biggest character since Cloud who was the biggest character since Sonic. I've only played like 10 minutes of minecraft in my life but jesus christ this is ****ing amazing

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
...I don't see it. It's not a matter of money, it's about project priorities. Sakurai has explicitly stated that he doesn't like working on a project for too long and has confirmed that Volume 2 is the last.
I dont recall him saying it was the last, at any point. Please reference.
Either way, Brawl was also the 'last game.' As were a few others, I believe.
If it makes enough people happy, and enough money, I believe he would stay on. His goals are constantly to please people, and work with new interesting gaming, and with Smash DLC he is getting a chance now to do just that. Work with almost any character in the video game pantheon. This is something perhaps no other developer has ever been able to do.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if that's actually possible...

Which animatronic would they use, though?
Freddy as a Brawler, Toy Bonny with Gitaur as Swordfighter and Foxy with a canon arm as Gunner

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I dont recall him saying it was the last, at any point. Please reference.
Either way, Brawl was also the 'last game.' As were a few others, I believe.
If it makes enough people happy, and enough money, I believe he would stay on. His goals are constantly to please people, and work with new interesting gaming, and with Smash DLC he is getting a chance now to do just that. Work with almost any character in the video game pantheon. This is something perhaps no other developer has ever been able to do.

venomthebest

Smash Apprentice
I guess the other reason I can't get hyped is that even outside the context of Minecraft, Steve is just aesthetically a really boring character. Even if I had no idea what Minecraft was there's nothing that makes me want to play as this dude. A Goomba would be more exciting.
What rock would someone have to live under to not know what minecraft is?!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It could happen, but I doubt it. 11 DLC newcomers, not including Plant, are already a lot
True
and they still need to save newcomers for the inevitable Smash 6.
False. Not just because it was directly stated that this isnt done, but also because this is Smash Ultimate, and the next game seems likely to go in a vastly different direction, perhaps even helmed by a different Director.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think Steve's inclusion makes sense at the end of the day. As much as people hate Minecraft because "it's a child's cringefest," Minecraft is one of the most played games of all time, one of the most accessible games of all time on a level similar to something like Wii Sports.

Although there will always be people that never caught onto the Minecraft wave, or find it childish/stupid, the fact of the matter is a large majority of people have played the game, and can easily recognize it. It makes perfect sense to get a character into Smash.

Polan

Smash Lord
We just had reliable sources say this was planned since 2017

Anyway this is the biggest character since Cloud who was the biggest character since Sonic. I've only played like 10 minutes of minecraft in my life but jesus christ this is ****ing amazing
so vergeben was right...

7NATOR

Smash Master
If Steve? taking 3 years to settle everything is true, That is interesting

I Wrote a Theory that There were Fighters in FP2 that was always planned to be Playable, but were gonna be Separate Extra DLC. Though I said Ryu and Reimu would have been those characters, and that Min-Min, along with the other 3 characters were decided later

Though It might Seem Steve? was always gonna be Playable at some point. In any case I think there is merit to some characters being decided before FP2 was an idea, and then another Sub-Set of characters decided after FP2 was Pitched. This might be good for Monster hunter since Possibly there was plan for Hunter character in the game. I also still do think Ryu and Reimu could also fit the theory well too

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Steve is certainly one of the most controversial picks just because Minecraft is that loser game to many people. Steve might just be the new Byleth in terms of we are going to be hearing complaints for months until the next character.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So do you guys see Lara Croft as more feasible now? We finally got a major western third-party in Smash and she's owned by Square Enix (also being their third biggest franchise right behind Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy).
I don't think Minecraft and Tomb Raider are related either. Tomb Raider is not currently a western IP, and Minecraft doesn't mostly appeal to the west iirc (it's big there, but it's also big in Japan).

That said, I don't think she's impossible. Her only real competition is 2B as far as I remember, and she's a pretty big deal.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Likely =/= will be, not to mention Sakurai also stated in the Min Min reveal "there are at least five more." We can play the game of 'what Sakurai said' in circles, but ultimately it's not a direct answer (no pun intended).
I am just gonna say don't do this to yourself, by the end of 2021 when the pass is expected is to be completed, Sakurai will have been working on Smash for roughly 10 years straight at that point. Just assume FP2 is gonna be the end of Ultimate and be surprise if turns out not to be the case.

D

Deleted member

He doesn't, but if a Super Mario character were to be in the pass, it would have been in now in order to coincide with the 35th Anniversary. Since that didn't happen, I think all Super Mario characters are as good as disconfirmed. Same with Pokémon and the Crown Tundra update.
Except the 35th Anniversary will still be going on by Early 2021 with 3D World + Bowser’s Fury coming out on February and the crossover with Animal Crossing New Horizons coming out on March.

For this reason, I think it’s too early to say that a Mario character is out of the running.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't think Minecraft and Tomb Raider are related either. Tomb Raider is not currently a western IP, and Minecraft doesn't mostly appeal to the west iirc (it's big there, but it's also big in Japan).

That said, I don't think she's impossible. Her only real competition is 2B as far as I remember, and she's a pretty big deal.
I wouldn’t sleep on Neku if I were you. Anime coming out next year, TONS of insiders hinting at a sequel soon-ish...

Also I voted for him in the ballot and since Steve got a fair share of votes I hope they saw the Neku votes of which I helped contribute to

D

Deleted member

Steve is certainly one of the most controversial picks just because Minecraft is that loser game to many people. Steve might just be the new Byleth in terms of we are going to be hearing complaints for months until the next character.
It could get toxic, but I think the hype for Steve will ultimately cover the salty complaints. The difference with Byleth is that Byleth's hype isn't as huge as Steve's, so Byleth arguments are more apparent.

Last edited by a moderator:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
I wouldn’t sleep on Neku if I were you. Anime coming out next year, TONS of insiders hinting at a sequel soon-ish...

Also I voted for him in the ballot and since Steve got a fair share of votes I hope they saw the Neku votes of which I helped contribute to
Well, the Tomb Raider 25th anniversary is next year, the next next-gen Tomb Raider game is in development and the sequel to the 2018 film is going to begin filming soon. And keep in mind Tomb Raider is Sqaure Enix's equivalent to Nintendo's Zelda.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No. It's just that due to the surrounding circumstances, I think it was now or never for a Super Mario or Pokémon character.

Now it seems they chose never.
Quite frankly, to me it makes more sense for a Mario character to come at the end of the anniversary- towards March. We didnt get Byleth when FE:3H was new... and Nintendo is known to have a push for products at the end of a cycle to bump sales, rather than early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom