• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...Didn't they literally tell the fans to go play M&L if they wanted a Mario RPG? Even though there was 0 mechanical overlap between the two?
What? They have action commands silly! They're literally the same game. :4pacman:

I think one of the Color Splash producers in an interview with GameXplain did say that Paper Mario stopped being an RPG because Nintendo already had a Mario RPG in Mario & Luigi. Then there's the more recent interviews with Kensuke Tanabe where he essentially confirms that, albeit without specifically naming Mario & Luigi.
And then there's that comment of "Super Mario games do fine without a story so why does this game need one?"

Like, really? Even adventure games need stories ya nunu head!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Timed hits.

Otherwise, yes, zero overlap, so that suggestion completely missed the point and gives me flashbacks of the whole "function" controversy of MvCI
I mean... yeah, but that's like if SMT suddenly changed genres and the devs were like "uh, you guys want a turn-based RPG about summoning supernatural entities? Just play Persona then!"

Like, it's such a superficial comparison that you don't expect to actually hear it from devs.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I mean... yeah, but that's like if SMT suddenly changed genres and the devs were like "uh, you guys want a turn-based RPG about summoning supernatural entities? Just play Persona then!"

Like, it's such a superficial comparison that you don't expect to actually hear it from devs.
It's why it's always so controversial to hear devs even imply that, like with MvCI saying Doctor Doom isn't needed because Nova, Captain Marvel and Ultron already have 8-way-dashes, or this post.

I think one of the Color Splash producers in an interview with GameXplain did say that Paper Mario stopped being an RPG because Nintendo already had a Mario RPG in Mario & Luigi. Then there's the more recent interviews with Kensuke Tanabe where he essentially confirms that, albeit without specifically naming Mario & Luigi.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I think the worst part is how I can tell who all those 6 are.

Teams are Magneto, Wolverine and Arthur vs Nova, Frank West and Wesker
Clearly, this means the characters still have too much personality, which will risk making the players actually care about who they're playing as. And we can't have that.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If you like new-style Paper Mario games, go try the Tingle games or Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru/For the Frog the Bell Tolls. Same sort of setpiece and story focus, where the gameplay is just a means to explore more story and progress. They're not bad games either - I own a copy of Kaeru no Tame and cherish it. Part of why they're good, I think, is that they're not branded as other series. If Kaeru no Tame was called a Zelda game it'd be worse for it (it even runs on the Link's Awakening engine, or rather Link's Awakening was built on it's engine). Imagine a Zelda game with no combat and whenever you run into an enemy, combat happens automatically and you either win or lose based on your equipment and max health. Same as if they tried to pass off the Tingle games as mainline Zelda... where you pay characters to do all the fighting for you... They work great as their own things.

That's what Paper Mario does wrong. Brand association. Paper Mario used to mean "Mario RPG game", then it meant "Mario game with some RPG elements", and now it's "Adventure game with Mario and pointless battles". Now there's no Mario RPG series -at all-.

On that note, Prince Sable for Smash. Or at least a music track... Turn his assist model into a costume? A remake on the Link's Awakening Switch engine?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Haven't been here in a while, and one of the first things I see is that apparently a Smash Speculation thread went a whole page not actually discussing Smash.

..Now if it was completely off-topic, then that would take me back. It'd just like the old days, now.

Also nice Amity avatar Hinata Hinata

KillerCage

Smash Master
If you like new-style Paper Mario games, go try the Tingle games or Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru/For the Frog the Bell Tolls. Same sort of setpiece and story focus, where the gameplay is just a means to explore more story and progress. They're not bad games either - I own a copy of Kaeru no Tame and cherish it. Part of why they're good, I think, is that they're not branded as other series. If Kaeru no Tame was called a Zelda game it'd be worse for it (it even runs on the Link's Awakening engine, or rather Link's Awakening was built on it's engine). Imagine a Zelda game with no combat and whenever you run into an enemy, combat happens automatically and you either win or lose based on your equipment and max health. Same as if they tried to pass off the Tingle games as mainline Zelda... where you pay characters to do all the fighting for you... They work great as their own things.

That's what Paper Mario does wrong. Brand association. Paper Mario used to mean "Mario RPG game", then it meant "Mario game with some RPG elements", and now it's "Adventure game with Mario and pointless battles". Now there's no Mario RPG series -at all-.

On that note, Prince Sable for Smash. Or at least a music track... Turn his assist model into a costume? A remake on the Link's Awakening Switch engine?
OR you can go with Bug Fables. :terryhat:
That game wears Paper Mario's influence on its sleeve.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Paper Mario discussion, eh?

Hey, I know Paper Mario most likely won't return to TTYD's roots, but hey, at least Origami King is an improvement compared to Splash, and Splash is an improvement compared to Sticker Star.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Hot take: if Tingle comes to Smash, I don't want him to represent the Zelda series. I want him to do what Donkey Kong/Yoshi/Wario do and represent his own series. I know there isn't much to work with, but it would be more interesting in my opinion.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
good thing we didn’t ask you then

So we’ve established the LGBT+ people in Smash already, but what newcomers would add to that? Obviously Edelgard would be really nice but she’s so from such a controversial series we don’t really discuss it, right? But yeah, who else can we think of?
Never gonna pass up a chance to promote Farmer Pete! lmao As of the Switch remake of Friends of Mineral town he (and the female version of the character Claire) are player sexual in that they can marry any of the bachelors or bachelorettes regardless of gender. Which was a looooooooong time coming and the thing that excited me about the remake the most. So happy they made that change.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Super Paper Mario was actually my first one.

I do feel like the boss fights (most of them, anyway) were too easy with the platformer/level-up gameplay, but other than that it's a fantastic game. It's got the best story in the whole damn series, and arguably for the whole Mario franchise, too, not just the Paper Mario spin-offs.

If it had the same story and visual story-telling sequences, but with well expanded upon TTYD-style RPG gameplay, I firmly believe that the game would've been praised as the masterpiece of the trilogy by fans.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Super Paper Mario was actually my first one.

I do feel like the boss fights (most of them, anyway) were too easy with the platformer/level-up gameplay,
Even when I was a dumb kid what was bad at games, Luigi killing literally Satan in half a second was a bit of utter hilarity.
It probably explains why Luigi was taken out for the final battle.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm stretchin' for some, but:
:ultridley:(Metroid Fusion):ultganondorf:(A Link Between Worlds):ultbyleth::ultshulk:
Then I included the Bug Fables one because I'm dumb, though there's probably more.
Don't forget :ultbowser:.

Dry Bowser is a thing.

And I guess we can include :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach: due to Super Paper Mario.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Well, less than 20 hours until we can probably confirm or deny if we're getting anything this coming week.
If we get nothing this week, I'm assuming next week is off the table as well.

Right now, the only true pattern we have is "No new Smash info during the week if there's a new game that Friday"

Next week has the Mario 3D collection so I'm assuming Nintendo will want to promote it like they did with Sword and Shield.

Now watch as I am proven wrong by Nintendo themselves!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Even when I was a dumb kid what was bad at games, Luigi killing literally Satan in half a second was a bit of utter hilarity.
It probably explains why Luigi was taken out for the final battle.
That's why I always use Thoreau when I get to that fight.

Without Luigi's powers that can all but cheat the fight altogther, Bonechill can actually be one of the most challenging bosses in the game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's why I always use Thoreau when I get to that fight.
I just hid in Peach's parasol the entire fight. I was much younger when I did it so I'm in the minority that thinks the fight was tough as nails.

Pretty much.

While not impossible, I highly doubt they'd release anything after that due to the Mario Collection coming out.
That sounds so familiar. I'm like, 99% sure something like this was said the week Min Min came out.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly given that SPM is essentially a 2D platformer with a lot of RPG elements, there's a bunch of aspects from it that could work in Smash. I'd gladly take a Brobot or Francis boss battle.
If they go with Francis they must have a dating sim section for all of the female characters for the first phase. This is mandatory.

Shroob

Sup?
I just hid in Peach's parasol the entire fight. I was much younger when I did it so I'm in the minority that thinks the fight was tough as nails.

That sounds so familiar. I'm like, 99% sure something like this was said the week Min Min came out.
I mean, I forgot but did any major release come out the week of Min Min?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Suddenly I'm reminded that I actually made a support thread for Dry Bowser back in Smash 4 days.

Why I decided to do that is a mystery to present-me.
Man what even are Dry Bones? like are they the same "being" that the original Koopa Troopa was or are they just bone golems?
I remember making some crappy fanart forever ago proposing that when Koopa Troopas died, they would form a Heartless (Boo) and Nobody (Dry Bones).

D

Deleted member

I'm stretchin' for some, but:
:ultridley:(Metroid Fusion):ultganondorf:(A Link Between Worlds):ultbyleth::ultshulk:
Then I included the Bug Fables one because I'm dumb, though there's probably more.
How is Byleth a zombie being possessed by another creature? I guess you can mean Sothis, but Byleth isn't a zombie per-say, even if they don't have emotion.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Man what even are Dry Bones? like are they the same "being" that the original Koopa Troopa was or are they just bone golems?
I still think they're just dead Koopas.

I remember making some crappy fanart forever ago proposing that when Koopa Troopas died, they would form a Heartless (Boo) and Nobody (Dry Bones).
...I can't speak to the quality of the drawing, but the concept is actually legitimately clever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom