• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Okay, since this is just going to go in circles from now on and I doubt people are that interested in granblue conversation I'll say this as my last statement on the matter: to me thinking they could put the Granblue MCs without using the job system in any way is like thinking they could put Bartz from Final Fantasy V or Agnes from Bravely Default in the game without using the job system. Could they theoretically do it? Probably. But why? Who the hell would actually want that?
Dunno who Bartz is but I think Agnes would be fine without the job system. In fact, if it was just her, I think she would benefit from not having one. The reason being that they could focus on her role as the Wind Vestal, and give her the appropriate abilities. It would probably be a mix of certain class abilities (not so much switching jobs as it is taking creative liberties) and her super spells or whatever those Street Pass abilities were called. It would also allow them to focus on the Brave and Default system rather than having it be an afterthought or excluded entirely.

If it was the entire party though I would definitely try and attempt adding the job system since each character pushes the player in certain directions in regards to playstyle.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
My only stipulation with a Bravely Default rep is who it would be. Agnes is the face of the first game, Tiz is in the 2 games, Edea and Ringabel are the interesting ones and Magnolia is the face of the second game, This isn't even counting Bravely Default 2. But I do agree that regardless of who gets in they will have the job mechanic.

EDIT: If it wasn't blatantly obvious Edea is the one I would pick

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My only stipulation with a Bravely Default rep is who it would be. Agnes is the face of the first game, Tiz is in the 2 games, Edea and Ringabel are the interesting ones and Magnolia is the face of the second game, This isn't even counting Bravely Default 2. But I do agree that regardless of who gets in they will have the job mechanic.
I believe Edea is also in the second game.

EDIT: Hold on a moment. Is Bravely Second more like a Final Fantasy X-2 kind of a thing and Bravely Default 2 is the Final Fantasy II to Bravely Default's Final Fantasy?
EDIT EDIT: If so, I want to know why Tiz is so edgy in the Bravely Second.

Last edited:

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I believe Edea is also in the second game.

EDIT: Hold on a moment. Is Bravely Second more like a Final Fantasy X-2 kind of a thing and Bravely Default 2 is the Final Fantasy II to Bravely Default's Final Fantasy?
Not only was Edea in the second game but she was also apparently in some sort of free to play web-browser game spin-off thing and the only character from bravely default 1 in it. (from what I've read)

Also yeah
Bravely Default = FFX
Bravely Second = FFX-2
Bravely Default 2 = FFXI
unless I've missed something and they're actually connected. Maybe Edea is somewhere in BD2 and we just don't know it yet.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I dunno, I absolutely love Byleth's Moveset, I don't think it was as clunky, unnatural, or sporadic as you say..its not like we don't already have Link(s) out here with a bunch of weapons.
Link isn't shoehorning his bombs into every down attack or the boomerang into every side attack. He's a sword-and-shield user who throws out projectiles, not a wannabe Swiss army knife. Meanwhile Byleth is tripping over himself to be creative while coming off as clunky.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
There's a fundamental misunderstanding of what constitutes leaking if some believe broadcasting previously private "information" doesn't count as leaking just because it is then used as a basis for further speculation. The moment you share something that was previously undisclosed, that is leaking.

Just because you recuse yourself, or just because you say you're not a leaker, doesn't mean that's true. One doesn't get to reject responsibility for words said and actions taken just because you eschew the title. Especially if you still want to claim insight should you be proven correct. But whether or not the information is valid, there is tangible evidence of dissemination of otherwise sensitive info, which is what leaking is.

It's like if I said, for example, "I've been told by my sources that the next fighter is from Capcom, and I think it's going to be Dante". Obviously the latter is speculation, but the former is very much an inside claim being publicly broadcast. That's textbook leaking - regardless of credibility.

Now, the credibility of those claims should, logically, inform how trustworthy you are as a source going forward, but that's another issue.
Thank you for explaining this to me so clearly, I never looked at the topic from that perspective. My idea of what constituted as a leaker was bound by limitations, but what you've explained makes a lot of sense. I'll keep this in mind going forward when I read the Geno thread and make my personal judgments from there.

I have a lot of friends in the Geno thread, and I hope nobody sees this and thinks I'm against them or talking behind their back. It's just, the Geno thread is the only place I've ever really focused a lot of my attention to on this site, and I feel it's important to branch out a bit and hear new ideas. The Geno thread can be a bit claustrophobic at times as much as I love it; it's as if there's a list of unwritten rules that guide discussion.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Link isn't shoehorning his bombs into every down attack or the boomerang into every side attack. He's a sword-and-shield user who throws out projectiles, not a wannabe Swiss army knife. Meanwhile Byleth is tripping over himself to be creative while coming off as clunky.
I don't personally find him to be all that clunky it's just that most of his aerials and specials are for specific (but not necessarily niche) situations:
  • His Forward Aerial is a good poke.
  • His Neutral Aerial and tilts are good for cqc situations.
  • His Up Aerial is a good juggle tool.
  • Don't use Amyr.
  • And his Forward Smash and Back Aerials are your typical swordy K.O. moves.
To be honest I don't think his design is much different than your typical zoner. There's just a bit more emphasis on knowing which of his tools is best in any given situation.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Shhh no one likes Lyria
What did you say about Lyria?!
S3_kPvMjvVjsAuUZRgFKbCleVz6CeT40UcDLwHZIGso.jpg
I, I mean... y-yeah! Lyria! That super awesome character I don't forget exists over half the time!
Alright, cool, but I'm watching you...
giphy (1).gif

But not really XD

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't personally find him to be all that clunky it's just that most of his aerials and specials are for specific (but not necessarily niche) situations:
  • His Forward Aerial is a good poke.
  • His Neutral Aerial and tilts are good for cqc situations.
  • His Up Aerial is a good juggle tool.
  • Don't use Amyr.
  • And his Forward Smash and Back Aerials are your typical swordy K.O. moves.
To be honest I don't think his design is much different than your typical zoner. There's just a bit more emphasis on knowing which of his tools is best in any given situation.
As stated before, I think it's fine because Byleth themselves are pretty rough and awkward. They're a mercenary that probably didn't receive any training beyond Jeralt, and in the game they start out with amazing stats but poor proficiencies. Plus, Sothis just gave them Relics that aren't theirs, so of course they're awkward with them.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I dunno, I absolutely love Byleth's Moveset, I don't think it was as clunky, unnatural, or sporadic as you say..its not like we don't already have Link(s) out here with a bunch of weapons.
As stated before, I think it's fine because Byleth themselves are pretty rough and awkward. They're a mercenary that probably didn't receive any training beyond Jeralt, and in the game they start out with amazing stats but poor proficiencies. Plus, Sothis just gave them Relics that aren't theirs, so of course they're awkward with them.
Link pulls out his weapons when they're necessary and only for 3/4 of his specials. Other than that, he uses them in conjunction with his kicks as it would seem logical to.

Meanwhile Byleth pulls out 3 giant weapons from hammerspace to do the simplest and most linear attack they can from that weapon type (arbitrarily decided with a corresponding direction). When you factor in his slow mobility, it just turns out looking -and feeling- awkward.

For an incidental noncombatant like Villager/Isabelle or Game and Watch, the slapstick nature of it makes sense, but for the "legendary mercenary nicknamed the Ashen Demon" and the only person who can handily defeat Felix (the resident swordsman of the game) in 1v1 sword combat, it just seems odd for him to be so inept and using weapons that clearly don't suit him. Especially considering you have someone who already has a unique niche of a whip-sword, brawling, and faith magic.

And Sothis is just a trailer justification that isn't canon. It's on the level of "You aint no air fighter mac" or Shulk using Monado Jump/Smash. The statement is there to justify the moveset, not the other way around.

BUT I DIGRESS,

Point is I don't think you could feasibly put in a dozen different weapons into one character in a way that is fluid and natural. For example, I'd hate it if Bayonetta didn't have all her gun-fu moves that flowed into each other and just randomly pulled out one of her weapons from her giant arsenal at every opportunity.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
(arbitrarily decided with a corresponding direction).
Actually the directions are quite smart. The whipsword is up, which was represented with a green colour similiar to Rhea because that's where it came from and her whole religious **** means it's a divine, heavenly weapon, heaven is upwards.

Edelgard's not only red, a colour commonly used for hell, but Amyr's not a Heroes Relic like the others but rather manmade significantly later than the other Relics. Not only is Edelgard a direct opposite of Rhea, but her weapon being a fake relic is a direct opposite to a divine weapon.

Arendbar's blue like Dimitri, who has a very straightforward look on morality for like 95% of his screentime, that being a black and white perspective, he doesn't start looking at other angles until quite late in his own story.

Failnaught's for neutral moves which fit how Claude has a neutral stance when compared to the other warring factors, he's just trying to defend his region and has his interests focused on Almyra rather than Fodlan. His own route was a rehash of Rhea's route but he does oppose both Edelgard and Dimitri though he gets spared in both of those due to negotiating with those sides

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Actually the directions are quite smart. The whipsword is up, which was represented with a green colour similiar to Rhea because that's where it came from and her whole religious **** means it's a divine, heavenly weapon, heaven is upwards.

Edelgard's not only red, a colour commonly used for hell, but Amyr's not a Heroes Relic like the others but rather manmade significantly later than the other Relics. Not only is Edelgard a direct opposite of Rhea, but her weapon being a fake relic is a direct opposite to a divine weapon.

Arendbar's blue like Dimitri, who has a very straightforward look on morality for like 95% of his screentime, that being a black and white perspective, he doesn't start looking at other angles until quite late in his own story.

Failnaught's for neutral moves which fit how Claude has a neutral stance when compared to the other warring factors, he's just trying to defend his region and has his interests focused on Almyra rather than Fodlan. His own route was a rehash of Rhea's route but he does oppose both Edelgard and Dimitri though he gets spared in both of those due to negotiating with those sides
tryna do math.jpg
Jeez, not even Min Min mains reach this hard.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
View attachment 281481
Jeez, not even Min Min mains reach this hard.
This is the same man who added a ****in GLITCH for a victory animation, tried to handle Min Min's footstance with more realism and fills Smash with other small details like Terry's jacket being animated by the team instead of having the physics engine do it's work to reference the high quality of SNK spritework, so it DOES sound like something Sakurai would do

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This is the same man who added a ****in GLITCH for a victory animation...
Wait what? Who's victory animation?

...Terry's jacket being animated by the team instead of having the physics engine do it's work to reference the high quality of SNK spritework...
I've never noticed it, but that's a really cool detail. Imagine if they did this with other characters. They could have Chrom's cape unnecessarily flowing in the wind for majestic effect.

...Actually that'd probably be distracting. Maybe it's a good thing they didn't do that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wait what? Who's victory animation?

I've never noticed it, but that's a really cool detail. Imagine if they did this with other characters. They could have Chrom's cape unnecessarily flowing in the wind for majestic effect.

...Actually that'd probably be distracting. Maybe it's a good thing they didn't do that.
In Castlevania's NES games, holding both buttons after grabbing the red orb at the end of every stage will have Simon jump and whip in place even though his animation's supposed to be locked. One of Simons's victory animations has him grab a red orb and then jump and whip in place continuously

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This is the same man who added a ****in GLITCH for a victory animation, tried to handle Min Min's footstance with more realism and fills Smash with other small details like Terry's jacket being animated by the team instead of having the physics engine do it's work to reference the high quality of SNK spritework, so it DOES sound like something Sakurai would do
There's a subtle difference between an obscure reference and Sakurai making up a contrived lore explanation as to the symbolic representation of why a direction is chosen for why a weapon is mapped to a directional input on a controller.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's a subtle difference between an obscure reference and Sakurai making up a contrived lore explanation as to the symbolic representation of why a direction is chosen for why a weapon is mapped to a directional input on a controller.
Yeah, I'd say it's more likely a design synergy thing. The weapons themselves are supposed to convey to the player what their use is, and the attacks that use them line up with these uses. Forward Aerials are generally good pokes and the spear is a good poking tool so the spear is horrizontal, Down Aerials tend to spike and the axe is super powerful so the axe gets down inputs etc.

I definitely think it's a smart design, and I don't really get why people find it to be clunky. He may not be incredibly fluid, but very few zoners are. He's certainly no Bowser Jr. or King Dedede that's for sure.

I do think having the three house leaders as assist characters would have been a better way to represent the game and potentially Fire Emblem in general, but what we got instead isn't bad imo, and I feel like if they did go all in on the whipsword and Divine Pulse abilities people would just compare him to Shulk even if they threw in some magic and brawling which would have made his reception all the worse.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
This Xeno thing sells pretty good. Are there any other Xeno games they could release on Switch? Preferably something already made so they can just port it over and have it fill their release schedule? If anyone can think of any, make sure to respond. I'm sure Nintendo would appreciate it. Actually, just send it to their Twitter account, that'll be quickest. Although maybe they don't check that often, so just post about it on all your social media and yell its name out loud. You know, just so they don't miss any opportunities.

Staarih

Smash Master
Few more interesting tidbits:
Ring Fit Adventure is at 4 million sold and Clubhouse Games: 51 WC reached 1 million sold.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200806_2e.pdf

The million sellers keep on coming.
Paper Mario is likely the next one to reach that but we’ll have to wait for those numbers for a while (as this report is just up to June 31st).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Few more interesting tidbits:
Ring Fit Adventure is at 4 million sold and Clubhouse Games: 51 WC reached 1 million sold.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200806_2e.pdf

The million sellers keep on coming.
Paper Mario is likely the next one to reach that but we’ll have to wait for those numbers for a while (as this report is just up to June 31st).
Ring Fit seems very low but that game had severe issues with understocking
****ing hell those are some ridiculous numbers. I still don't know what it is with Animal Crossing that people see in but I can't deny it has become an A tier franchise for Nintendo now.
What do you mean 'now' AC has always had ludicrous numbers

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ring Fit has currently sold about a million more than 3H, and I'm sure there's plenty of people here who would have a conniption if you suggested the latter underperformed. Ring Fit has gone above and beyond for a new IP, especially one that's aimed at an older demographic.

Anyway, New Horizons selling at whiplash speed isn't surprising. On top of the game releasing at the best possible time, New Leaf sold like hotcakes, so it should've been easy to predict the Switch entry would sell even better. I'm actually a little surprised by how many people thought this game would struggle to reach numbers as high as BotW or Ultimate.

Nintendo knows how big AC is, and I think it's safe to say that the AC franchise has cemented itself as one of Nintendo's best moneymakers, right behind Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Okay, so breakdown of console sales Q2 2020 by region (compared to Q2 2019):

Japan: 1,15 million (0,53 million in Q2 2019)
Americas: 1,99 million (0,82 million)
Europe: 1,61 million (0,50 million)
Others*: 0,92 million (0,28 million)

That's a major difference across the board. The Switch Lite seems to have an additive effect - especially in the Americas where the Lite was 64 % of the Switch's sales this quarter. The Lite came close to being half of Europe's Switch sales this quarter, and the Lite was >60 % of Switch sales in Japan during Q1.

The Switch is also poised to pass the NES (and probably has already by this point).

*(Includes sales of Chinese Switches - might not include Switches from other regions imported into China via the grey market, which is the majority of Switches there.)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Isn't 4 million a pretty good number for a brand new IP?
4 Million is low?

That's absurdly high.
Ring Fit has currently sold about a million more than 3H, and I'm sure there's plenty of people here who would have a conniption if you suggested the latter underperformed. Ring Fit has gone above and beyond for a new IP, especially one that's aimed at an older demographic.

Anyway, New Horizons selling at whiplash speed isn't surprising. On top of the game releasing at the best possible time, New Leaf sold like hotcakes, so it should've been easy to predict the Switch entry would sell even better. I'm actually a little surprised by how many people thought this game would struggle to reach numbers as high as BotW or Ultimate.

Nintendo knows how big AC is, and I think it's safe to say that the AC franchise has cemented itself as one of Nintendo's best moneymakers, right behind Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda.
If ARMS getting 2 million is considered successful, then 4 million sure as hell is.
What I meant was lower than I expected considering it's not nearly as high as Wii Fit, which again, is easily explained by those issues with stock. 4 million is indeed low compared to 20 million

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm a big believer of "Hype Responsibly", but the phrase is almost always butchered as soon as Geno's name is brought up. Merely supporting a character or believing they're in does not count as hyping irresponsibly, regardless of who the character is.
Honestly it seems to be extremely selective who needs to "hype responsibly". Just like that GameStop slipup doesn't mean Geno is in, having Switch ports of extremely successful remakes and being an anti-anime swordsman doesn't mean Crash is a lock. Being the best-selling game of all time doesn't mean Steve is a lock. Rex's Mii costume and the lack of XCX tracks doesn't mean Elma is a lock. The amount of A's I'd need to type to represent all the screaming from his reveal does not mean Master Chief is a lock. Yet they don't get the same immediate reminders to hype responsibly as anyone who thinks Geno has more than a 0% chance.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
This Xeno thing sells pretty good. Are there any other Xeno games they could release on Switch? Preferably something already made so they can just port it over and have it fill their release schedule? If anyone can think of any, make sure to respond. I'm sure Nintendo would appreciate it. Actually, just send it to their Twitter account, that'll be quickest. Although maybe they don't check that often, so just post about it on all your social media and yell its name out loud. You know, just so they don't miss any opportunities.
Dragonball Xenoverse 1: Definitive Edition :4pacman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom