• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZelDan

Smash Master
So my uncle's friend's wife works at Nintendo and has told me that Nintendo has been having to keep on delaying the Mario HD collection because apparently some weird appiritions keep appearing in the Mario 64 remaster and only that Mario game for some reason, and always seem to pop up no matter how much they try and patch it out.

Shroob

Sup?
I've seen people bring up that the 2nd could be a Direct due to the maintenance happening then.

Unless we're getting our first Sunday General(?) Direct, that's a no-go. The 27th seems like it'd be the best shot if a 2nd Direct is coming at all due to the maintenance happening that day, which, like today, is a Monday.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So my uncle's friend's wife works at Nintendo and has told me that Nintendo has been having to keep on delaying the Mario HD collection because apparently some weird appiritions keep appearing in the Mario 64 remaster and only that Mario game for some reason, and always seem to pop up no matter how much they try and patch it out.
So they’re trying to get rid of the personalization feature in Mario 64? Lame, why would I even buy it then?

Shroob

Sup?
Yo, so is Nintendo even trying anymore ?
That is a good question.

A question both insiders and their investors probably want to know.

We have insiders baffled as to why they're not showing the **** they're holding close to their chest, but... you really can't predict Nintendo. They march to the beat of their own drum, even if it's not anyone's rhythm.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh please, the real reason is much simpler. It's not just a compilation of almost every 3D Mario game, it's also a new game too. That new game is....

SUPER MARIO PS5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I've seen people bring up that the 2nd could be a Direct due to the maintenance happening then.

Unless we're getting our first Sunday General(?) Direct, that's a no-go. The 27th seems like it'd be the best shot if a 2nd Direct is coming at all due to the maintenance happening that day, which, like today, is a Monday.
I thought that second maintenance was happening on the 3rd?

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Just being cautiously optimistic here. Take a look at the Nintendo Direct mini from 1.11.2018. This was 14 minutes long.

A minute of The World Ends With You: Final Remix, a minute of Pokken Tournament DX DLC, a minute of Kirby Star Allies DLC, a very brief reminder of Dragon Quest Builders demo, a minute of Hyrule Warriors DE, a minute of Mario Tennis Aces, a minute of Ys VIII, a minute of Super Mario Odyssey DLC, a minute of SNK Heroines, a minute of Mario Rabbids DLC. There's more after that, but so far that's about 10 minutes of content. The "one more thing" for this direct was Dark Souls, which is relatively not that impressive since it's just a remaster of a really old game that's now multiplatform. But I don't recall people hating on it very much.

Granted that a lot of these were announcements of ports and DLCs of existing games, we could still be looking at least 9-10 different things. I should also note that a lot of these DLC were quite meaty and free to boot. Unlike a regular direct, a mini only gives about a minute per announcement. All of the games above aren't games worth giving more than a minute, but a lot of them were still substantial.

Will this be a mindblowing Direct? Definitely not. Will it have a thing or two that'll peak our interest? Definitely.
Ah, I remember that one well. I was watching it in the middle class and shouted "Yesssssss!!!" when I saw TWEWY and got death stares from everyone there. Memories.

Still I'm not betting much.

Shroob

Sup?
The fact they removed the "NEW!" from the website still keeps me up at night.

tenor.gif

Even if it takes a couple weeks, like what happened between the August 2018 Smash presentation and the September 2018 Direct, it always has meant a new character is coming relatively soon.... so it's logical to assume one is coming.... soon....ish? But there's no indication when or where if this Direct is all we're getting. I can only imagine an actual Direct sometime in August, but that seems unlikely.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

View attachment 279415

Even if it takes a couple weeks, like what happened between the August 2018 Smash presentation and the September 2018 Direct, it always has meant a new character is coming relatively soon.... so it's logical to assume one is coming.... soon....ish? But there's no indication when or where if this Direct is all we're getting. I can only imagine an actual Direct sometime in August, but that seems unlikely.
Speaking of that.

What's the longest period of time the "new" banner has been down before a new character is revealed?

And what's the shortest?

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of that.

What's the longest period of time the "new" banner has been down before a new character is revealed?

And what's the shortest?
I dunno if anyone's cataloged that, though it's possible to figure out via the Wayback Machine.

I remember that the NEW banner was removed... I wanna say in the early 20's of August 2018, and then Isabelle was revealed early September, delayed a bit due to the Earthquake.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord

View attachment 279415

Unless the Smash character is related to a third party game in the 10 minute mini direct (and even then, 0.1% chance because it'd overshadow the mini direct), CP7 is probably an August reveal.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what to think about this. I have a quite simple rule when it comes to Directs: if there is even one announcement I like, I consider the Direct to be a success. I don't expect there to be a Smash reveal, but there should be at least one interesting thing.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Then the last seconds of the Direct go EVERYONE IS HERE and every game that got talked about it getting a new character in Smash
Bold of Sakurai to have figured out a way to make every single game in that mini direct be CP7 as some kind of a horrifying amalgamate.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I like how everyone is equally disappointed in this direct. Who would've thought incompetency would be the thing that unites the board?

I'd still say there's a 0.01% chance Smash is shown off because, if you stretch your definitions far enough, it's a previously announced game. That being said, I'm actively expecting literally nothing. Maybe something cool will come up but otherwise it's going to be 10 minutes of "I have never heard of your game or company before". We're in the monkey's paw timeline.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Well guess that's another rule broken.

The whole NEW rag removal when we'll get a character announcement soon.
Just because we aren't seeing a Smash reveal today doesn't mean the trend has been broken.

I'd hold off a little longer and see what the rest of the month/August has in store before deciding the New tag removal means nothing anymore.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Welp, guess my 2020 backlog will be used for other platforms then. Between a new version of a game I already had and two games I don't care about, this might be the weakest first party lineup since the Switch's launch year.

Hell, Min Min in Smash is basically the only 2020 Switch highlight for me at this point.

Hoping we at least get some NMH or Bayo 3 to change that. But so far it's not looking good.

Staarih

Smash Master

We could still get it ”soon”, just likely not today. It hasn’t even been a month since Min Min was released.

I like how everyone is equally disappointed in this direct. Who would've thought incompetency would be the thing that unites the board?
Funny how everyone decided to be disappointed when the Direct hasn’t even aired yet. I guess that’s what ”Mini” and ”known games from partner developers” does to a person. Better to go in with low expectations, perhaps there’ll be less salt that way.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I have a strange feeling deep inside me that Wolf from Sekiro (the main character) will be in smash. Maybe not the next revealed fighter, but one of them. I don’t know what’s making me feel this way.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Dude.

You gotta stop this obsession with "breaking rules."

It's making you desperate for false positives.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
We could still get it ”soon”, just likely not today. It hasn’t even been a month since Min Min was released.
This isn't relevant. Hero and Banjo were revealed at the same time, meaning Banjo was revealed before Hero was released. Terry was revealed at the same time as Banjo was released. And, of course, Joker was revealed very shortly after the release of the game.
If anything, the exception is when we have to wait for a reveal after a release. Even then, the longest wait for ultimate dlc was about 2 month after the previous release, and we're already at one month.

Also, we should remember that they would have to release the second character in September if they want to stay on schedule for December 2021, and most characters have been revealed several months in advance. So we could say we're already quite late for this reveal.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
im 100% sure this virus ****ed with Nintendo extremely hard and I'm not mad at Nintendo at all because **** happens
But why has every other company been able to put together Direct style presentations then?

I honestly think they just had a weak year between how many games they had last year & their potential 2021 lineup (Zelda, Bayo, Metroid). Now they’re just riding the virus as the perfect excuse to cover their asses.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
Are people really complaining about expectations being too low now? There's really nothing wrong with going into these things with little to no expectations. If it's ****, it's exactly what you'd expect. If it's good, it's a pleasant surprise.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
My only expectation is Bayonetta 3 news.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
But why has every other company been able to put together Direct style presentations then?

I honestly think they just had a weak year between how many games they had last year & their potential 2021 lineup (Zelda, Bayo, Metroid). Now they’re just riding the virus as the perfect excuse to cover their asses.
Well, most of those other companies are Western based, and we know that Japan has been struggling to adapt to WFH. Plus, Sony and Microsoft still have new consoles to launch this upcoming holiday season, so they HAVE to show what they have in store.

Nintendo's lack of communication is frustrating and I do agree that NH getting delayed to 2020 was a blessing in disguise for them, but let's not act like their action are totally out of human comprehension.

Also, putting aside our need for videogame commercials, I think that calling a pandemic that has taken the lives of thousands of people an "excuse" is in poor taste regardless if you think that they could have done more

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
First of all, I don't know why some people are giving Kelios a hard time. Not trying to play devil's advocate, but should I remind that when he initially talked about a Direct on the 20th almost no one believed him? He also has been right about the hour of the announcement and the hour of the direct, when most people was also very skeptical of a Direct announcement at such hour. Besides, even if this has nothing to do with the actual Direct, Kelios at least seems like a "straight to the point" guy when it comes to giving info, which is nice.

Even credible people such as Nate Drake or King Zell seemed surprised because they've heard a different thing about the Direct's content. Also, Nekoo's latest post implies the same as Nate seems to suggest: Nintendo has indeed more first party games for this year, or at least, new first party games to announce soon, but for some reason they're waiting.

That said, I'm also somewhat disappointed after the announcement. But I don't think we won't get anything related to first parties. After announcing Min Min's presentation Nintendo straight said "we won't announce the next fighter". I'd think that they would be aware enough of people mostly wanting first party reveals and I believe they would have warned, with a second tweet, that the direct woudn't feature first party content. I mean, they also did a clarification for the Paper Mario Threehouse and the WayForward game.
While I'm not expecting 100%, I do think we could get an update on Bayonetta 3, for example.

Important part of it that I think people are overlooking:
"a series focused on titles from our development & publishing partners"
So there'll be multiple of these mini-directs probably in a shorter period focusing on different publishing partners.

All I can say is GIVE ME MY DAMN BAYONETTA 3 GAMEPLAY ALREADY. PLATINUM IS A PARTNER.
Also this. I'm surprised almost no one noticed this. "A series focused on titles from our development & publishing partners". Putting aside the wording of "publishing partners", this seems to suggest we will get more of this, and I guess next parts could arrive relatively soon.

Maybe all the content Nate Drake and King Zell were teasing has been split, for some reason, in multiple Mini Directs, instead of doing a traditional Nintendo Direct. Just a random thought.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

because, Nintendo isnt those other people. Its like now, we are all affected by covid but some of us arent affected directly and some are, no one is the same, some are lucky

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

im 100% sure this virus ****ed with Nintendo extremely hard and I'm not mad at Nintendo at all because **** happens
I know the virus messed up a lot of companies, but there's only so far that good will and patience can be stretched, you know?

Every other major company around them has kept up and kept the news flowing; at this point, Nintendo has no excuse. Especially since Japan handled the virus extremely well (when compared to other countries). We're 7 months into 2020 and they haven't shown investors, nor players, any reason to get excited.

Right now, they've got unprecedented opportunity to stay on top. Thanks to the Virus, they saw humongous sales in their Switch consoles and people are all looking at Nintendo expectantly. They could have maintained a stranglehold on the industry by giving us something, anything, previous and new Switch owners can anticipate. Instead, they're letting their lead evaporate away by remaining silent and pushing things off.

I mean, for ****'s sake, the RING Fit of all things sold out everywhere during this pandemic! Everything of theirs is selling like mad! And yet they refuse to give us any kind of update for things coming in the future in order to keep us interested. No matter what they say or what you hear, the goal of a business always will be, and always has been, to make money. That's not me with a pessimistic take; its literally the foundational goal of ANY business.

Both Xbox and Sony managed to have showcases for the future despite a lack of E3 while Nintendo opted for small Indie directs, a pokemon MOBA and cafe mini game you'd expect to find on a DS, and a Paper Mario game that they fumbled the ball on by completely ignoring fan requests for the last 20 YEARS and giving it some weird avaunt guarde battle system!
Now, minor rant aside, I think another reason a lot of people are a bit miffed on here right now is that we once again got word from 'credible leakers' over on Resetera that something was definitely coming today. Not just a Direct, but one they 'hope we enjoy' and were hyping up. People here are annoyed because Resetera is usually pretty trustworthy; they have a policy of banning accounts that share false info, so when word comes down the pipeline from that site, its usually on damn good authority. And yesterday, some of the so-called leakers on there primed the hype train and rolled it out of the station while yelling 'Come aboard everyone!' so to hear suddenly that this is just a 10 minute Direct from partner companies of Nintendo instead of the glorious main Nintendo Direct we've been hoping for is an understandable, colossal letdown for many of us.

TL;DR - We all have legitimate reasons to be annoyed at these developments.

Last edited by a moderator:

hinode

Smash Cadet
In Sony's case, it's because they're far more willing to announce games that are years away than Nintendo is (or at least 2020 Nintendo, they used to do that far more often). Consider the release dates for all the first party games Sony PS5 games announced thus far:

Gran Turismo 7: n/a
Spiderman Miles Morales: 2020
Ratchet and Clank: n/a
Demon's Souls remake: n/a
Sackboy: n/a
Astro Playroom: preinstalled on every PS5, more of a tech demo than a proper game
Horizon 2: targetting 2021

The pattern is pretty clear. In Horizon 2's case we didn't even get the 2021 info during the presentation itself, only later. Miles Morales is the only retail game announced for this year, and it has explicitly been compared to Uncharted: Lost Legacy in terms of size, i.e. basically a large standalone DLC/expansion.

Meanwhile Microsoft hasn't actually announced anything this year, people are just assuming that Thursday will have big announcements. IIRC the last game they announced was Senua's Sacrifice 2 at last year's VGAs.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The fact that Nintendo specifically mentions today's Mini Direct being the "first of a series" tells me that we'll just end up seeing multiple Directs throughout the summer.

Sounds like they just decided to break their E3 plans into a bunch of pieces.

Why? I don't know, but that's how I see it.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Posting this here because of memes, I guess.
Random 4chan leak. It's about the Xbox Showcase on the 23th, but it mentions some interesting Nintendo related things.

>F-Zero SX (crossplay with the Switch and Xbox-themed levels like a race track in and around Halo 2 High Charity, not releasing on Playstation)
>Bayonetta 3 releasing also on Nintendo but not Playstation

Link: https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/517728124

Of course, I don't believe it but it would be funny. The entire post predicts the full showcase, which as always, doesn't sound very credible. Knowing the 100% of a presentation sounds like bull****, but some of Microsoft's E3 were mostly leaked, so who knows.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I kinda wonder if at the end they'll confirm a full-fledged direct for the 27th, 3rd of August of sometime in August or September.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm tentatively excited for this even if the chances of Smash news are minuscule, if just because it means we may get an update on No More Heroes 3. That would be nice. I doubt they'll drop Travis in Smash, but I can dream. Otherwise, I'm hoping we get something on one of the big ones (Bayonetta 3 or Shin Megami Tensei V), and I'm predicting they'll give us a Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory date and maybe a Persona 5 Strikers release date or something. The rest will be indies and ports. I just hope we get something as cool as the Burnout Paradise port.

Also I first accidentally posted this in the wrong thread...

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
To be hones, I am somewhat surprised we got an announcement at all. So I am curious what they will show

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Posting this here because of memes, I guess.
Random 4chan leak. It's about the Xbox Showcase on the 23th, but it mentions some interesting Nintendo related things.

>F-Zero SX (crossplay with the Switch and Xbox-themed levels like a race track in and around Halo 2 High Charity, not releasing on Playstation)
>Bayonetta 3 releasing also on Nintendo but not Playstation

Link: https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/517728124

Of course, I don't believe it but it would be funny. The entire post predicts the full showcase, which as always, doesn't sound very credible. Knowing the 100% of a presentation sounds like bull****, but some of Microsoft's E3 were mostly leaked, so who knows.
>cross play with Switch and Xbox

uhhhh yeah no

it’s a shame too, F-Zero SX is a reasonable title convention for a switch F-Zero (GX was for GameCube and AX was for Arcade)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom