• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If I'm right about these Partner Showcases being chunks of the E3 plan spread throughout the summer, I'd say we have some chance of seeing a Smash reveal.

But with how long E3 Directs usually are, the odds aren't very high. Probably 1 out of 4 at best.

However, the good part is that the more Showcases we get without a reveal, the higher the odds become :p

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Truth be told, I'm more inclined to believe they just don't have anything for the rest of the year. What's baffling to me is the decision to even hold this Mini amidst one of their worst Direct droughts and then head into their next shareholders meeting basically saying "Yeah lol we got nothing, but please invest in us anyway for the vague promise that maybe possibly hopefully we'll have something maybe eventually." They're just advertising to the world that Nintendo's got nothing, and oh gosh oh please buy AC.

It's disappointing, but oh well.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Nintendo's marketing approach is definitely atrocious, but perhaps we could have a direct or some kind of presentation next week or sometime in August. We just need to be a little more patience. As for today's direct, all I really want to see today is BD2 and I am content.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Truth be told, I'm more inclined to believe they just don't have anything for the rest of the year. What's baffling to me is the decision to even hold this Mini amidst one of their worst Direct droughts and then head into their next shareholders meeting basically saying "Yeah lol we got nothing, but please invest in us anyway for the vague promise that maybe possibly hopefully we'll have something maybe eventually." They're just advertising to the world that Nintendo's got nothing, and oh gosh oh please buy AC.

It's disappointing, but oh well.
2018 was pretty much the same because they only had 5 games for that entire year after the insanity that was 2017 giving us almost a game a month.

It's just not something people really think about because two of these 5 games are Pokemon and Smash... on the very last months.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I know we aren’t exactly owed a Direct (especially given the circumstances) but I can’t believe this is what we’re getting right now with being in the dark after TOK.

But there’s also maintenance happening on the 27th of July and 3rd of August. So maybe we have silver of hope for any kind of Direct (full or Mini) with more 1st party news.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I don't get the "multiple mini Directs" idea at all. One proper direct breaks the drought. Minis do not (we had one in March, remember?) and multiple Minis DEFINITELY do not. Just do one direct with one direct worth of content.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't get the "multiple mini Directs" idea at all. One proper direct breaks the drought. Minis do not (we had one in March, remember?) and multiple Minis DEFINITELY do not. Just do one direct with one direct worth of content.
Reminder that the March "mini" was almost 40 minutes long.

I think that one can be seen as an exception.

MooMew64

2018 was pretty much the same because they only had 5 games for that entire year after the insanity that was 2017 giving us almost a game a month.
Nintendo's content output has just overall been bad every other year in Switch era. They do so much in house that they need off years to play catchup. This year having a global pandemic doesn't make it any better for the situation.

ATM I imagine that even next year is gonna be rough: I imagine all hands on deck are on BotW2 right now, and MP4 is probably still years out, so I'm starting to have doubts about the second half of the Switch's life. Animal Crossing is pretty much the sole thing that saved them from complete disaster this year.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can definitely see Bayonetta 3 being a holiday title.

Bravely Default II as well.

Nintendo seems to put a lot of weight on those IPs.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I thought the mini was still at the time the leaker said. Guess it's in like 50 minutes XD

Ill watch it and enjoy it :) just disappointed a bit in how long it is.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Probably because they said that it's the "first" partner showcase, which implies that there's going to be another one.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1285061875030298624

It doesn't mean that there will be more this summer, though. Given how Nintendo's marketing has been lately, the next one could wind up not airing until December or later.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
The fact that Nintendo specifically mentions today's Mini Direct being the "first of a series" tells me that we'll just end up seeing multiple Directs throughout the summer.

Sounds like they just decided to break their E3 plans into a bunch of pieces.

Why? I don't know, but that's how I see it.
Yeah when i saw that wording thats what i thought. Plus nintendo has said multiple times to investors that they have more games planned and still releasing this year, so it just seems like they will reveal those at some point

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wonder if Nintendo's marketing department got hit harder than other departments is because there was actually an outbreak in that department.

Would explain just how everything is shambled together, yet development is somehow okay.

Alternatively, I suspect that Nintendo is willing to provide extra materials for their developing studios, but not their marketing department, meaning working from home is difficult to almost impossible.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hey got a question guys: how has the Japanese gaming community reacted to this news? And how have they in general been about this lack of nintendo news?

MooMew64

I wonder if Nintendo's marketing department got hit harder than other departments is because there was actually an outbreak in that department.

Would explain just how everything is shambled together, yet development is somehow okay.

Alternatively, I suspect that Nintendo is willing to provide extra materials for their developing studios, but not their marketing department, meaning working from home is difficult to almost impossible.
If there are actual titles still coming at the end of the year and Furukawa isn't just trying to appease shareholders, this is the best explanation I could see as to what the heck is going on.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey got a question guys: how has the Japanese gaming community reacted to this news? And how have they in general been about this lack of nintendo news?
Probably better than we have been reacting.

I've noticed the Japanese fanbase tends to be more quiet and polite...Because they let their frustration simmer inside.

And then when it finally comes out WHAMMO!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm still pretty convinced that the next character will come sometime in September, since that's when the Joker and Hero amiibo come out in Japan, and you gotta update the game to accommodate for them...

But man, I just can't see them pull a "Here's a character, and they're available..............NOW!" like they did with E3 2014 back in the day. We've yet to have an instantaneous reveal+release this game, meaning I'm still expecting them to be revealed sometime before their drop, but how much before is anyone's guess.
There has been several points in the past where they created patches that just added amiibo compatibility and nothing else.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its a bit sad that whatever optimism I have for the Direct is only because the company has yet to put out a clarifying Tweet of "We will not be presenting any news on Smash Bros for any other first party titles in this presentation".

That's where I'm at, a hope rooted in the naive observation that "Well hey Nintendo hasn't thrown all the cold water on our expectations yet."

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hoo boy. In about half an hour, either a pleasant surprise or everything falls apart. Brace yourselves.

Also, weren't the Pokemon Directs only ten minutes? We could easily see different content stretched out across multiple directs like that. Who knows, maybe Nintendo's actually got this covered and is trying to build up the hype and anticipation even further.

MooMew64

I'm still pretty convinced that the next character will come sometime in September, since that's when the Joker and Hero amiibo come out in Japan, and you gotta update the game to accommodate for them...

But man, I just can't see them pull a "Here's a character, and they're available..............NOW!" like they did with E3 2014 back in the day. We've yet to have an instantaneous reveal+release this game, meaning I'm still expecting them to be revealed sometime before their drop, but how much before is anyone's guess.
Especially since Sakurai said development was going well.

Unless the plan was always to have this year be just Min Min, and if so then yikes. I can't believe their original schedule was THAT bad, so I gotta believe we'll at least see FP7 before the year ends.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I still expect Fighter 7 and 8 this year.

The rest are definitely next year.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Interesting...
This, along with the maintenance periods coming on the 27th and (I think) August 3rd... yeah, I think I'm with The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn . I wouldn't be surprised if (or at least I hope that) this is just "The E3 2020 Direct Part 1", and we're eventually gonna get Parts 2, 3, and 4 shortly afterwards.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Especially since Sakurai said development was going well.

Unless the plan was always to have this year be just Min Min, and if so then yikes. I can't believe their original schedule was THAT bad, so I gotta believe we'll at least see FP7 before the year ends.
I believe in one interview it was said that development was doing pretty well, but marketing was hit pretty bad. I think Nintendo has stuff to show us, but isn't quite sure how present it with long-distance conditions and the possibility of COVID affecting sales.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
This, along with the maintenance periods coming on the 27th and (I think) August 3rd... yeah, I think I'm with The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn . I wouldn't be surprised if (or at least I hope that) this is just "The E3 2020 Direct Part 1", and we're eventually gonna get Parts 2, 3, and 4 shortly afterwards.
I'm torn between disbelieving that because its a short sighted way of doing reveals and believing that because its a short sighted way of doing things that feels completely on brand for Nintendo this year.

MooMew64

I still expect Fighter 7 and 8 this year.

The rest are definitely next year.
I'll be a little more cautious and say I only expect FP7. Since I doubt we're getting a proper full on 35+ minute General this year now, my money is on an early September Sakurai presents, with release at the end of the month ala Byleth. FP8 will probably be a January/February deal imo.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
You realize those private videos could just be reuploads of old videos right?
The thing is that the photo is for the Direct playlist of their Youtube channel. At first I thought about the trailers from today's Direct, which will obviously be uploaded separately after the Direct, but as I said, the photo shows the Direct playlist.

I haven't checked if it's true, tho.

andree123

Smash Ace
Are you guys ready for three ways we could be disappointed about challenger pack 7 in the mini direct?

1. We get a fighter from a franchise that we rarely talked about
2. A anime swordsman
3. It's nothing

Last edited:

hinode

Smash Cadet
Are you guys ready for three ways we could be disappointed about challenger pack 7 in the mini direct?

1. We get a fighter from a franchise that we rarely talked about
2. A anime swordsman
3. It's nothing
1 and 2 are technically not mutually exclusive.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom