• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZelDan

Smash Master
It's disappointing that this direct isn't big, might not have first party stuff or might not have as much as we thought it would. I won't completely give up on it yet though.

if they show Bayonetta 3 and it looks amazing that would be exciting atleast. Same thing with NMH3.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I kind of wonder if Nintendo is a bit short in the editing department right now. Spreading out reveals over time would give them extra time to get everything together with a smaller or less efficient crew. That way they don't have to be stressed out putting together a 30+ minute direct in one go.
Yeah, I could see this happening. Again, maintenance dates. It could be third-parties, first-parties, Mario anniversary, or something like that. I'd say hold out until the 3rd of August. After that, enable the big sad.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The real question we have to ask is this; With this Mini Direct on the way, what was the deal with the "New" tag disappearing from the Smash website? That's ALWAYS meant something.

Shroob

Sup?
I heard that Walmart put Bayonetta 3 up for pre-orders

That's been there for awhile, right? It wasn't literally just added, right?

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Huh, that's actually pretty productive. Maybe we'll get more stuff in then we're expecting.
I am a firm believer in that it doesn't matter how long a presentation is, as long as the content is good the presentation is good. For example Nintendo'e E3 2017 direct is only 25 minutes long and only had a handful of games at most, with the only third party game being Rocket League. Yet its often praised due to having great trailers for Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 and game reveals for Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi's Crafted World, Metroid Prime 4, and that mainline Pokemon would be coming to the system. Meanwhile their E3 2015 direct is consider a disaster despite it being 48 minute long due to how bad the big game reveals were.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Maybe 2 directs this week could happen. Crazier things have happened in this god forsaken year. I would not bet or count on it though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The real question we have to ask is this; With this Mini Direct on the way, what was the deal with the "New" tag disappearing from the Smash website? That's ALWAYS meant something.
Separate directs, I tell you. The maintenance dates, the NEW tab disappearing, the likely lack of first-parties. They're probably short on editors, so it's spaced out accordingly. Besides, the deficit of news means a first-party direct would get even more hype after this.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Anyone else think we might get Rune Factory 5 news? Given what the direct is about and that the other two games (Rune Factory 4 Special and Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town Remake) that were announced alongside it have since released it seems like the perfect time. Feels like everyone else has either already forgotten that game was announced or just doesn't care. Would be one of the games I'm most excited to potentially see tomorrow though!

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I kind of wonder if Nintendo is a bit short in the editing department right now. Spreading out reveals over time would give them extra time to get everything together with a smaller or less efficient crew. That way they don't have to be stressed out putting together a 30+ minute direct in one go.
Voice over is another big problem I imagine they are facing, the Min Min presents had no English dub and was subtitled. This is likely due to the guy who typically does the English dub for the presentations not having access to the equipment as its both very big and needs a studio for it to work ideally and on top of that is very expensive. Just look at the Anime industry with English dubs, it took Funimation a couple of months to dub the last couple of episodes of My Hero Academia Season 4 due to those exact problems I had just mentioned.

Maybe 2 directs this week could happen. Crazier things have happened in this god forsaken year. I would not bet or count on it though.
Someone said that Thursday and Friday are holidays in Japan, so probably not, but we could get one for each Monday for the next three weeks. One for bigger third parties, one for indies, and one for first party games. Not guaranteed at all, but definitely possible.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
10 minutes & it’s all third parties.... really? I bet this will just be stuff that these companies could’ve just released on YouTube weeks ago.

2020 Nintendo is pathetic. They’re just rolling over & letting Sony/Microsoft steal the spotlight. We better get BOTW2, Bayo 3, Mario Kart 9 & Metroid next year to make up for this abysmal year.

I’m also thinking those rumored Mario ports are probably fake now. When the hell would they announce them?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuh how could you ****post like a mad man after leading geno fans for a loop.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know people have a bone to pick with insiders right now, but Kelios, who was the first one to peg this date back when no one thought anything was happening in July, and even nailed the time of the announcement of the announcements has said that he thinks plans have changed regarding what was to be shown in the Direct.

Considering he's gotten everything right up to now, including the last (mini) Direct as well, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt - and that this may not have been the original plan for what was to be shown later.

I mean, even GX is probably blindsided right now, it was obvious they thought something bigger was coming, and they for sure have inside sources.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
*catches up on thread*

n8sq2sc5urd21.jpg

It's going to be a long time before we see our next fighter huh?

Well, hopefully we'll get some cool third party announcements at least. Could shake up speculation discussion a little bit, excluding the disappointment of course.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm just gonna throw out a pipe dream here. Maybe if I say it, it will retroactively come true:
Klonoa Encore. Bandai-Namco is a Nintendo partner, other Encore games have come true, remakes are common lately. Please, Klonoa Encore, that is all I ask. Please. I don't care if it's unlikely, just please let it happen.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I heard that Walmart put Bayonetta 3 up for pre-orders

That's been there for awhile, right? It wasn't literally just added, right?
Yeah, I've had it pre-ordered on Wal-Mart since February 27th, 2019..it has said it's coming out 'Dec 31st' ever since then..which is just a placeholder date.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
If YouTubers are still putting out weekly or even daily content, then there’s no excuse for Nintendo & its partners.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
When I go there right now, it says January 6th.
Mine's for an In-Store Pick-Up, which usually has it arrive the day it releases, having it shipped to you gives some leeway time.
I work at Wal-Mart, so I've used their site for this stuff a lot for my employee discount. Its nothing to read into.
It said sometime in January at first for me too, but later changed to Dec 31st as a placeholder..I think it may have gotten stuck on that date due to its original arrival window (Dec 31st 2019 - Jan 7th 2020) passing by.

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Yeah, I've had it pre-ordered on Wal-Mart since February 27th, 2019..it has said it's coming out 'Dec 31st' ever since then..which is just a placeholder date.
The last two games I pre-ordered just after their announcements were The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

Never again.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I just realize this is the exact opposite of the Wii U era right now.

Wii U era: Little to no third party games and selling poorly.

Switch era as of this moment: Little to no first party and selling incredibly well.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yeah, it says that too. Do you really think...?
I doubt it, January 6th is a Wednesday, Nintendo is Bayonetta 3's publisher, unless something chances, so it would likely release on a Friday as is typical for Nintendo releases.
The last two games I pre-ordered just after their announcements were The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

Never again.
It usually works out for me just fine, even if its delayed, this one is just bothersome now because it wants me to change my payment info since my debit card expires before Dec 31st but of course since it hasn't expired yet, I can't 'fix' the payment info..and it won't let me cancel the order without 'fixing' it..Wal-Mart's site kinda sucks..but I get the games on release almost every time and I go there almost everyday for work anyway, so I put up with it.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I just realize this is the exact opposite of the Wii U era right now.

Wii U era: Little to no third party games and selling poorly.

Switch era as of this moment: Little to no first party and selling incredibly well.
Well, it actually has about the same amount of 1st/2nd Party Support, it just seems like less due to how much 3rd Party support there is so there's a smaller percentage..its also a lot of Wii U ports/Deluxe Editions, so it feels like less 'new' 1st/2nd Party games.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
So, would I be exaggerating if I said this year is almost comparable to 2015, as in, barely anything worth getting excited?

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Well, it actually has about the same amount of 1st/2nd Party Support, it just seems like less due to how much 3rd Party support there is so there's a smaller percentage..its also a lot of Wii U ports/Deluxe Editions, so it feels like less 'new' 1st/2nd Party games.
The Wii U ports are kinda overstated I would say though, last one we got was Tokyo Mirage Sessons back in January and the one before that was New Super Mario Bros Deluxe which was a full year prior.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think it's less to do with what will be shown and more to do with what he knows won't be.
Who knows? Maybe what is there is worse than what isn't. Sounds alarmist I know but was anyone expecting Bakugan?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
So, would I be exaggerating if I said this year is almost comparable to 2015, as in, barely anything worth getting excited?
With our current standing knowledge of what exists?

I mean, you're not wrong.

I haven't picked up New Horizons yet myself, but the only other game I've bought was Clubhouse 51, and that was just so me and my sis could play something co-op.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah he likely knows what the holiday line and maybe early 2021 line up is, but is very baffle how Nintendo is just outright not communicating it.
Nintendo does seem to be dropping the ball pretty hard right now.

And things not exactly being dire for them financially is giving them a lot of wiggle room to keep meandering.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Nintendo does seem to be dropping the ball pretty hard right now.

And things not exactly being dire for them financially is giving them a lot of wiggle room to keep meandering.
Something interesting that I notice is that the two first party reveals we had this year (club house and paper mario) went up for pre-order on the eshop and could be pre-loaded right after they were revealed, which basically the game is done. It seems like if anything they might be not wanting to take any chances or break any promises and only reveal games when there is no chance they are gonna get delayed.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
At this point I'm honestly more curious about this direct than I am disappointed or interested given Nate's strong reactions.

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I doubt it, January 6th is a Wednesday, Nintendo is Bayonetta 3's publisher, unless something chances, so it would likely release on a Friday as is typical for Nintendo releases.

It usually works out for me just fine, even if its delayed, this one is just bothersome now because it wants me to change my payment info since my debit card expires before Dec 31st but of course since it hasn't expired yet, I can't 'fix' the payment info..and it won't let me cancel the order without 'fixing' it..Wal-Mart's site kinda sucks..but I get the games on release almost every time and I go there almost everyday for work anyway, so I put up with it.
I haven't had the best luck with it, whether it's delays or incompetence on the retailers end. Eventually I just realized there wasn't any point in pre-ordering because there's little chance that any game will completely sell out at every store in my area.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
At this point I'm just more curious than I am disappointed or interested about what is going to be shown given Nate's string reactions.
It seems to me that Nate's strong reactions are because Nintendo has fantastic **** planned out but they don't want to show any of it for some reason and want to trickle it down as if their new releases are NSO VC games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom