• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I'm not fazed by Heihachi getting Mii Costume'd. To me, he's just one less Namco character people will default to.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Man, Smash players will get characters with one of the most unorthodox CONTROL SCHEMES and will still complain about not every move being unique to them
I personally disliked the idea of half of her moves being focused on kicks...Which is exactly what they did so uh screw me I guess.

I fully expect this being used as the reason why all the others were the "incorrect" choice.

I like that Samus is eating with a fork. I can relate.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Its sad Spring Man didn't get in because I know a lot of people want Waluigi, including my brother. The fact that Spring Man is basically the face of his game and didn't make it really hurts Waluigi's chance of getting in. Also if they were just picking a fighter, there are others that I would have preferred. But really it should have been Spring Man/Ribbon girl as alts like Wii Fit Trainer.
You'd also think if assists were to be promoted, it'd be now alongside with an spirit promotion and going with Spring Man. I think that's indication assist promotions are pretty much dead in the water.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I don't want to repeat myself, but I do think Springman will be added eventually to Smash Bros as he is one of the dev's favorites, he had a prominent role in the reveal trailer, he was noted as being the general public's idea of ARMS' protagonist, and he was an Ace spirit alongside Min Min. Which in that case, there does seem to be some hope on the horizon for us Spring fans.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Man, Smash players will get characters with one of the most unorthodox CONTROL SCHEMES and will still complain about not every move being unique to them
It's not a complaint, it's an observation. I wrote my first impression on the character, both positives and negatives. Why getting salty about it?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
On the bright side I saw someone say that after the trailer they realized Spring Man is NOT boring like everyone says he is. He's actually has a lot of personality. I hope more people notice that too.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Min Min looks really interesting and I'm glad she made it in. This does mean that Spirits (at least in the base game) can become full fighters, though characters should still be assessed on their individual merits and contexts. I wonder how they'll alter Min Min's spirit battle...

Also, looking at the list of Smash 4 costumes that haven't returned yet, I'm most surprised by the lack of the Monster Hunter costumes. You'd think that with Rathalos and 2 music tracks in the base game they'd have been included by now. Does this mean that the Hunter is coming? Will the mii costumes return alongside another Capcom character? Was the agreement for the costumes to appear in Smash 4 only?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
2017:
N3ON said:
I forgot to add this earlier, but I think the Bethesda character that'd fit best in Smash is Vault Boy. He's also a mascot of sorts, though more for just the series than Bethesda as a whole.

2018:
N3ON said:
Vault Boy

then Doomslayer

It's all coming together.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I’ll be honest the most interesting part of the direct was Vault Boy—did not expect that as a Mii costume. Also confirmation of DLC amiibo. We expected it, but great to finally have further confirmation.

I have nothing against Min Min, but the stage being Spring Stadium just emphasizes how out of place she feels. I feel like if this were the base game, Spring Man would have been the character. And while obviously this doesn’t mean assist trophies can’t be promoted, I think it’s fairly unlikely now, even though I considered that the silliest fan rule. Also I forgot what Min Min’s special ability was when people listed it a while ago (I believe Spring Man’s was a rage mechanic?). Hers is a deflector? Okay.

Really what I’m most curious about is how they’ll handle the stage menu. If they’ll be added to the screen, my guess is Spring Stadium will be in the currently empty spot. If they do a second page or something weird, perhaps we’ll see that next week, or possibly not if they wait until FP7 to figure that out.

Either way, already looking forward to who it is, how they’ll handle stages, and Banjo & Kazooie and Terry’s amiibo. FP7 will likely be the interesting one for me personally for all those reasons.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think it comes with something of a disclaimer that the producer of Arms literally just said "No, put Min Min in!"
Further characters likely won't get the same treatment.
Yet Sakurai could’ve told him no and made a point about future spirit battles being changed. He pretty much heavily implied he and his team don’t care if they’re a spirit, it doesn’t matter.

And pretty much confirms assist trophy promotions are dead at this point.

Sorry to Waluigi fans. Guess they'll have to be waiting until Smash 6.
Spring Man wasn’t rejected for that, and he may have been considered as well - he didn’t even mention him being an AT already, he only brought up the AT when talking about ARMS Rush - so ATs might not matter much either.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not really. What was Sakurai supposed to say when the developer of ARMS himself requested Min Min? "Too bad, I want Spring Man since he's the mascot."

Sakurai never explicitly stated that Spring Man didn't get in because of his AT, so I think we can assume that he and every other ARMS character was always on the table.
On the other hand, Assist Trophies were 100% disconfirmations before, so the fact that they didn't go for it means that they still are.

Besides, for all we know, Spring Man wasn't on the table even before Mr. Yabuki was asked.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
If spirits, which composed nearly the entirety of Smash's singleplayer, don't matter anymore, assist trophies sure as hell don't either.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
AT rule is intact. I did say that I would sacrifice Isaac to ensure Waluigi didn't get in back in my heel days and well, that succeeded but honestly, I feel for the Wah-boy and Sping-man fans. Spring-man especially because Sakurai specifically wanted Ninjara or Min-Min. Springman wasn't even in his scope. That's a brutal burial. It sucks about Heihichi but Devil Jin is still on the table tho,

Now to pray 2B gets in along with Velvet (or Yuri), Shantae (Or Geno), Devil Jin (Or Knightmare), and Sora

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's not a complaint, it's an observation. I wrote my first impression on the character, both positives and negatives. Why getting salty about it?
I'm not getting salty as I'm mostly neutral on this, but it's laughable to me to call some moves of a character who doesn't even have the same basic controls as the rest of the cast 'boring and generic'. It's like complaining about anime swordfighters, big whoop, the majority of her moves are fully unique, so it just sounds like "waaaah this move is similar to 3 other moves in this 80+ character roster why aren't they all fully unique"

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Spring Man wasn’t rejected for that, and he may have been considered as well - he didn’t even mention him being an AT already, he only brought up the AT when talking about ARMS Rush - so ATs might not matter much either.
If spirits, which composed nearly the entirety of Smash's singleplayer, don't matter anymore, assist trophies sure as hell don't either.
I think if this were the case, it would had been Spring Man and would had also deconfirm assists. The fact they only did an spirit promotion makes me think otherwise.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
This being canon makes me happy. Move aside, Spring Man. There's a new "face of ARMS" coming through.
67e.png

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
So it ended up being Min Min

I must say I’m genuinely impressed

They stuck w/ one character and fully fleshed out a crazy/complex moveset and that’s all I ever wanted from ARMS

So I’m very happy with this

I went from not interested in buying the pass to possibly getting it now so I can play her day 1.

Nicely done Sakurai & developers

Spring Stadium is fine, music is what I expected

RIP Heihachi

Vault Boy is uh... wow OK wasn’t expecting that lol

As far as speculation goes:
ATs are kinda dead yeah. RIP them. (I did find it funny that Sakurai called out the “Spring Man is the protagonist argument” tho lmao)

Base Spirits now are back on the table now that we got a character who was one

So this just got a bit more interesting

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Heihachi is dead.
Lloyd Irving has yet to return.
You know what that means....View attachment 275628
KLONOA BABY.
please
Are they hesitant about the names of M-rated games that are only getting Mii Costumes? Just imagine if Cacomallow somehow became real (0.1% chance, but still) and Cacodemon was labeled as "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Cacodemon".
But they were fine with Persona, right? I think they're just afraid of edgy words like assassin and fallout (As in, nuclear fallout). Doom's a pretty silly title without context and is used in a lot of children's cartoons, so I think it might be okay? Cacodemon certainly sounds edgier than just DOOM.
This being canon makes me happy. Move aside, Spring Man. There's a new "face of ARMS" coming through.View attachment 275647
the prophecy

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think if this were the case, it would had been Spring Man and would had also deconfirm assists. The fact they only did an spirit promotion makes me think otherwise.
Characters aren’t chosen to break rules. Yabuki wanted Min Min, while others still seem to have been considered. Sakurai was told they’re all the protagonists, so he has no reason to stick to Spring Man (as much as I was wanting him).

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
A lot of people are pointing out that Assist Trophies just got a lot less likely. I wouldn't say that they're truly confirmed dead, but the writing for many is on the wall.

But, I haven't seen many people discuss Mii Costumes. Considering that Min-Min wasn't one of the two ARMS Mii Costumes from base game, what do you think the chances of base game Mii Costumes are?

Personally, not great. They have models and are more comparable to the scope of Assist Trophies than Spirits, which while not quite "just" the successor to Trophies as many claimed, still are a far cry from that level of content. If I'm right, things don't look good for Rex or Dixie Kong.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The thing that stinks the most about today is that very little changed regarding ATs and Spirits.

People will still say ATs deconfirm, even though Sakurai clarified that Min Min was chosen because the developer specifically requested her, not because they were forced to choose someone else because of an existing AT. People will still say Spirits added after the base game are deconfirmed, even though Sakurai explained that they can easily update Spirit battles as more DLC is added.

Fan rules are tough to break, even when they're consistently broken. The "mascot/protagonist first" rule doesn't seem to be effecting the perspective on any rule outside itself.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also I’d say Cacomallow is super ultra mega uber hyper dead now cause you’d be suggesting they’d be worked on with FP7 at this point back in November which... yeah no

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm not getting salty as I'm mostly neutral on this, but it's laughable to me to call some moves of a character who doesn't even have the same basic controls as the rest of the cast 'boring and generic'. It's like complaining about anime swordfighters, big whoop, the majority of her moves are fully unique, so it just sounds like "waaaah this move is similar to 3 other moves in this 80+ character roster why aren't they all fully unique"
There's a difference in calling "boring and generic" one whole character, and calling "boring and generic" only a couple of moves while saying that the rest are unique and interesting.

blackghost

Smash Champion
min min had her devs support, the general ARMs playerbase support, and was currently not in the game as an AT or mii costume. so she had a lot in her favor. her moveset also could have more variety due to her character's background.
it seems like it was down to ninjara and min-min. im am SO GLAD they did not bowser jr the ARMs cast even though people here thought it wouldnt be a big deal.

i like her inclusion but boy the belmonts are gonna need a rework or major buffs every new mid range character plays thier game better than they do. in a month or so minmin is gonna be complained about. all you heavy players a out there: good luck with this nightmare of a mu.

also to my fellow bayo players: we got a good MU. the first one in ages.

on to the next character: hopefully dante comes eventually.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I knew that the moment any character that wasn't Spring Man is shown that everyone would say that ATs still deconfirm. Even though Sakurai already said in the presentation that Min Min was chosen because the producer asked for her, and not because Spring Man was an AT. It's a base game promotion, if the reasoning for why spirits can happen while ATs can't is simply because they're labeled differently then I don't agree with this argument.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
But, I haven't seen many people discuss Mii Costumes. Considering that Min-Min wasn't one of the two ARMS Mii Costumes from base game, what do you think the chances of base game Mii Costumes are?
Min Min was literally chosen because the ARMS Producer said "I want Min Min." It had nothing to do with the lack of a Mii Costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom