• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The thing that stinks the most about today is that very little changed regarding ATs and Spirits.

People will still say ATs deconfirm, even though Sakurai clarified that Min Min was chosen because the developer specifically requested her, not because they were forced to choose someone else because of an existing AT. People will still say Spirits added after the base game are deconfirmed, even though Sakurai explained that they can easily update Spirit battles as more DLC is added.

Fan rules are tough to break, even when they're consistently broken. The "mascot/protagonist first" rule doesn't seem to be effecting the perspective on any rule outside itself.
Literally who has said that Minmin's an exception to the Spirits stuff? This thread's moving lightning fast so I may have missed it but I haven't seen anyone act like she's an exception.

But they were fine with Persona, right? I think they're just afraid of edgy words like assassin and fallout (As in, nuclear fallout). Doom's a pretty silly title without context and is used in a lot of children's cartoons, so I think it might be okay? Cacodemon certainly sounds edgier than just DOOM.
Lmao did the US version censor it AGAIN? I watched the UK version, that still said Assassin back then and said Fallout today

blackghost

Smash Champion
I knew that the moment any character that wasn't Spring Man is shown that everyone would say that ATs still deconfirm. Even though Sakurai already said in the presentation that Min Min was chosen because the producer asked for her, and not because Spring Man was an AT. It's a base game promotion, if the reasoning for why spirits can happen while ATs can't is simply because they're labeled differently then I don't agree with this argument.
either way pattern still stands until it is broken. I just dont think upgrading ATs would be received as well in the general audience as people here think it would. which is why they dont want to do it.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Yet Sakurai could’ve told him no and made a point about future spirit battles being changed. He pretty much heavily implied he and his team don’t care if they’re a spirit, it doesn’t matter.
I mean they won't be specially requested like Min Min was.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
They did the Altair thing again where it was Smash X Vault Boy instead of Smash X Fallout...
Were you watching the US channel? On the UK channel it said Fallout, just like it said AC on UK and Altair on the US.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Btw, Protagonist first rule is still not broken.

Remember: Everyone is a protagonist in ARMS. There is your loophole.

ZelDan

Smash Master
The thing that stinks the most about today is that very little changed regarding ATs and Spirits.

People will still say ATs deconfirm, even though Sakurai clarified that Min Min was chosen because the developer specifically requested her, not because they were forced to choose someone else because of an existing AT. People will still say Spirits added after the base game are deconfirmed, even though Sakurai explained that they can easily update Spirit battles as more DLC is added.

Fan rules are tough to break, even when they're consistently broken. The "mascot/protagonist first" rule doesn't seem to be effecting the perspective on any rule outside itself.
Yeah. I do like Min min herself and am happy with her being added.

But AT discussions will not be fun from here on out, atleast until an AT promotion happens IF it happens

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Also, they deserve credit for how they did the Min Min trailer; by providing context that Min Min works on a Ramen Resturant. It helps show someone who don't know who Min Min is just what kind of person she is, and it does so with top quality.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
What I want to know is what happens with Min Min's existing Spirit?

Side note, Min Min looks both incredibly awkward to play and equally broken.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But AT discussions will not be fun from here on out
The argument has now changed from "it can happen vs. it can't" to "they didn't pick the AT vs. they picked Min Min because she's who Yabuki wanted, that's it".

SKX31

Smash Master

To go deeper into my gameplay thoughts:

Min Min probably will do very well against long range zoners and heavyweights -:ultkrool: will probably be a good matchup for Min Min, as will :ultganondorf: and :ultsamus:. Her very good and two directional stage control can absolutely wall off characters with poor movement - and their length can shut down camping opponents because of the ARMS' angling properties. She's also got a good (if seemingly predictable) recovery too - meaning that any characters without hardcore spikes will struggle to edge-guard her. While we don't know her exact stats yet, she does have some quick attacks for out of shield situations and counter-play herself which will help her overall gameplan.

Those with fast jumps and aerial mixups (:ultfox:, :ultjoker:, :ult_terry:) will most likely be the most difficult opponents for Min Min, though. This could be seen in Sakurai's 1v2 match where any whiffs from Min Min's attacks often resulted in Kirby and Falcon getting kinda close. And those were CPUs. Her ARMS attacks are both commital and have some evident end-lag, meaning she'll need to get a good read of what the Fox, Joker etc. will do. Sure, she has a couple quick options, but they seem rather predictable (like U-Tilt being an obvious anti-air). She won't have many options for up-close beyond grabs, meaning her best bet against these characters is keeping stage control and them away. All three also have extremely dangerous vertical KO options, so Min Min players will have to beware when facing these kinds of characters online.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
While I do think that Assist Trophies are back to being 100% disconfirmed, I had been musing that DLC spirits from the previous pass might still be on the table for this one.

We don't know how far in advance they're picked, but if they're all planned out, then there's no reason to believe that they're dead, and there's definitely no reason to believe that the earlier ones are dead.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
What I want to know is what happens with Min Min's existing Spirit?

I was wondering that too, I guess that's why Sakurai pointed out spirits changing in the direct. I think it will just be replaced with an actual MinMin CPU

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
aight, a few thoughts i guess:

min min herself is cool, and i just wanna say congrats to all her fans. at the same time tho, i am not liking how hard spring man's getting cucked. i've been rooting for him since forever and i am NOT ready for the legions of people going "HAHAHAHAHA SPRING MAN BTFO" and claiming min min is the new mascot. remember, they're all protagonists.

and spirits are now officially back! hopefully people can stop gatekeeping them by going "oh but their fans are gonna be soooooo annoying", which doesn't seem to be the case. also, min min was chosen by yabuki's request, and once again, everyone is the protag. i'm not expecting ats to actually happen but they're not necessarily off the table yet.

btw, my heart goes out to heihachi fans. i know how it feels. on the bright side, i guess it's less competition for sol

also DNA LAB MADE IT IN YES

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Dude what if they replace Min Min’s Spirit battle in World of Light with her Awakening battle if you own her and do the same for any Spirit promotion whose Spirit is in WoL?

you’d still get 100%, but the number of spirits would drop by one and the number of fighters would go up by one

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I'm not fazed by Heihachi getting Mii Costume'd. To me, he's just one less Namco character people will default to.
Yeah, let's talk about Jin and Kazuya!!!

... what do you mean Tekken is out of the run?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
either way pattern still stands until it is broken. I just dont think upgrading ATs would be received as well in the general audience as people here think it would. which is why they dont want to do it.
“Why was this spirit character promoted over my most-wanted that’s also a spirit?” or “Why is this character a fighter when they’re already represented?”

I’m sure ATs wouldn’t be much worse.

I mean they won't be specially requested like Min Min was.
Yet other ARMS characters were likely still considered (Ninjara, for example, is now a DLC Mii costume despite being a free spirit already), Sakurai still made a point about spirit battles changing, and if it really mattered so much, he could’ve told Yabuki no and go for Max Brass or whoever. Not to mention ARMS was already represented and Nintendo are the ones choosing fighters here (they may have asked for “anyone from ARMS”), making it very clear they don’t give a crap about stuff they added two years ago, just as Sakurai likely doesn’t based on what he said about spirit battles.

They could very well add more because of fan requests or something.

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Also RIP every one that predicted Springman,Springtron and Max Brass because of the colors in the image of the direct announcement. I knew that **** was DOA the moment it was brought up lol

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I just realised... it's possible this pass could be all first party.
Hear me out.
While Sakurai said that he had to contact producers (i.e, other companies) it's possible this was for Mii Fighter negotiation, such as what happened with Tekken and Fallout.
Now I'm not saying this is a guarantee, I'm just saying this might be a possibility.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
While I do think that Assist Trophies are back to being 100% disconfirmed, I had been musing that DLC spirits from the previous pass might still be on the table for this one.

We don't know how far in advance they're picked, but if they're all planned out, then there's no reason to believe that they're dead, and there's definitely no reason to believe that the earlier ones are dead.
I mean, it'll be weird if something like Astral Chain or Ring Fit still got in despite having a Spirit Event several months after the ideal time to have one, but I wouldn't say they're deconfirmed.

The closer we get to the last fighter, the more likely I'd be willing to say new DLC Spirits around that time are deconfirmations. If there's a good year or so between the fighter and the Spirits, then I can still see them being on the table.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I wonder if there is any meaning behind Heihachi not being in the Terry release? It's probably nothing, but maybe they are doing a returning costume for each fighter in pass 2.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean, it'll be weird if something like Astral Chain or Ring Fit still got in despite having a Spirit Event several months after the ideal time to have one, but I wouldn't say they're deconfirmed.

The closer we get to the last fighter, the more likely I'd be willing to say new DLC Spirits around that time are deconfirmations. If there's a good year or so between the fighter and the Spirits, then I can still see them being on the table.
My line of thinking was that if they were decided before the second pass's roster, then they're safe. If not then...they're not.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Watch them slowly bring back all the mii costumes from Smash 4 one by one and then just reveal one of them as an actual character.

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Well, I suppose I underestimated how dedicated Sakurai was to the game's content if he's willing to redo things like this.
I did mention that they could get around Spirits if they make a new Fighter Spirit, that way they don't lose the boost from the existing Spirit. so it'll be nice if I'm right on that front.
Still, I suppose Sakurai has the chance of having his Geno now..?

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Just a random thought: while I doubt this was a reason Min Min was selected, I wonder if having a character with very obvious Chinese inspirations will increase her popularity in China. Or I guess, translate to more sales (of Smash, FP2, or Min Min herself)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom