• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean another big reason I think it’s Spring Man was that there was an interview where Sakurai said that Spring Man and Rex just BARELY didn’t make it. Specifically Spring Man. We could’ve went back and forth over who would be the AT too but it was clear that the obvious choice if they were going to pick a character back then it would be Spring Man but he didn’t make it on time so now he’s an Assist.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I mean another big reason I think it’s Spring Man was that there was an interview where Sakurai said that Spring Man and Rex just BARELY didn’t make it. Specifically Spring Man. We could’ve went back and forth over who would be the AT too but it was clear that the obvious choice if they were going to pick a character back then it would be Spring Man but he didn’t make it on time so now he’s an Assist.
Is there a source for that interview? I don't remember reading that.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
He never specified Spring Man. However, an important thing to note is that he is the ARMS character who is most prominent in terms of representation, having an AT, Mii costume and spirit (no other ARMS character can claim the same).

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No way I'm going to believe it'd just be spring man. Maybe as a multi character. I mean, it's not impossible, but i'd debate whether to buy him or not.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yes, but Yoshi is like, the main character of said spinoffs.
They still feature other Mario characters as main characters, too.

And Mario and co. are the main characters of the sports/kart/party spinoffs, including Waluigi.

Plus, we get stages from said spinoffs. The RPG games are spinoffs, too

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, I would say that Monday can't get here soon enough. But I won't cause that just doesn't feel right saying that.

Either way, Hype responsibly and try not to become a salt lord if you don't get the character want.

toonito

Smash Ace
One argument I'm not a fan of concerning Spring Man is that he's "bland" when the ARMS concept would be unique in Smash's context.

As for my prediction for FP6: Spring Man or Ribbon Girl. It's possible with Spring Man being an AT the other poster girl may get the slot. TBH I think Ribbon Girl's getting overlooked.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m officially calling it. ARMS2 announced at the start with Rayman as a guest character who will also be Fighter #6.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
One argument I'm not a fan of concerning Spring Man is that he's "bland" when the ARMS concept would be unique in Smash's context.

As for my prediction for FP6: Spring Man or Ribbon Girl. It's possible with Spring Man being an AT the other poster girl may get the slot.
People said that :ult_terry: was bland too.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Whether the character is Spring Man or Min Min, I hope someone takes the time to make fan art of them holding their Smash invite up while wearing a face mask and standing in the middle of a riot ravaged city.

Whoever it is had to go through all of that just to get a Smash invitation, lol

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Oh you poor unknowing fans. Fighter 7 is being revealed in the Pokemon Presents, of course they're not going to reveal them in the ARMS presentation.

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
No way I'm going to believe it'd just be spring man. Maybe as a multi character. I mean, it's not impossible, but i'd debate whether to buy him or not.
What's so hard to believe? You don't think they'd hype us up on who the ARMS fighter could be for months only to reveal it was just the character who we all would have assumed it was going to be from the start?

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I still kinda feel he is personally, tbh.

Anyhow, as others have said: Hype responsibly, and please, let's all get along no matter what happens.
No!! I will unspring the Spring Man supporters, cut up the Ribbon Girl supporters, shear the Twintelle supporters, devour the Min-Min supporters, unwrap the Master Mummy supporters, melt the Lola Pop supporters, unspring the Springtron supporters, chain up the Ninjara supporters, lock of the Byte and Bit supporters, deprogram the Helix supporters, depoison the Misango supporters, skin the Kid Cobra supporters, and dethrone the Max Brass supporters. All so our supreme overload and masterful master of ARMS, Dr. Coyle can take the coveted spot. No one is going to uncoil this baddie of the bash! I refuse to play nicely as this is life or death. This is the endgame. This is ARMS!!

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
as a fan of :ult_terry: and fighting games growing up I was biting my tongue when a character as expressive, explosive, fun as Terry was "literal who" "Hat Ken" and "boring".
They are both blond, blue eyed muscular martial artists of a similar aesthetic style (within the context of Smash) who wear red clothing and have something of a fiery personality. That's basically where the logic of calling Terry "Hat Ken" comes from. Similar =/= the exact same though.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
People who insist on comparing Springman to Terry repeatedly fail to mention that the SNK guessing game came as a result of a completely accidental leak while the ARMS guessing game was intentionally started by Nintendo (also Terry is the most popular character for SNK as a whole while the same can't be said for Springman in his own game but that's a whole different can of worms).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I’m officially calling it. ARMS2 announced at the start with Rayman as a guest character who will also be Fighter #6.
Ooh! And his ARMS are the powerups from Rayman 2!

No!! I will unspring the Spring Man supporters, cut up the Ribbon Girl supporters, shear the Twintelle supporters, devour the Min-Min supporters, unwrap the Master Mummy supporters, melt the Lola Pop supporters, unspring the Springtron supporters, chain up the Ninjara supporters, lock of the Byte and Bit supporters, deprogram the Helix supporters, depoison the Misango supporters, skin the Kid Cobra supporters, and dethrone the Max Brass supporters. All so our supreme overload and masterful master of ARMS, Dr. Coyle can take the coveted spot. No one is going to uncoil this baddie of the bash! I refuse to play nicely as this is life or death. This is the endgame. This is ARMS!!
Heh, I see know that your power is unrivaled. But you've made a fatal mistake. You've locked Byte up with the wrong guy.

Barq is still out there.

Plotting his revenge.

Soon, he will avenge his fallen friends, and take back what is rightfully his.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
People who insist on comparing Springman to Terry repeatedly fail to mention that the SNK guessing game came as a result of a completely accidental leak while the ARMS guessing game was intentionally started by Nintendo (also Terry is the most popular character for SNK as a whole while the same can't be said for Springman in his own game but that's a whole different can of worms).
We're not comparing them in terms of chance, we're comparing them in terms of the kind of complaints they got as "boring poster boys". People don't really need other characters being playable to make a good case for Spring Man.

toonito

Smash Ace
They are both blond, blue eyed muscular martial artists of a similar aesthetic style (within the context of Smash) who wear red clothing and have something of a fiery personality. That's basically where the logic of calling Terry Hat Ken comes from.
I know where the logic comes from I think its crap especially when they don't play similarly in their home games or Smash.

imagine if you support Shadow oh bu-bu edgy Sonic

Dixie? You mean Diddy with a ponytail what's the big deal?

Byleth? Marth and Lucina with more weapons!

Min Min? Noodle Ribbon Girl!

etc. etc.

To those fans who said such things I'm happy :ult_terry: will always be known as a Smash Veteran.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
People who insist on comparing Springman to Terry repeatedly fail to mention that the SNK guessing game came as a result of a completely accidental leak while the ARMS guessing game was intentionally started by Nintendo
This is true, but it doesn't really account for Nintendo being Nintendo. We don't really know if the guessing game means anything in the first place.

also Terry is the most popular character for SNK as a whole while the same can't be said for Springman in his own game but that's a whole different can of worms
Really? Everyone said that honor went to Mai.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I know where the logic comes from I think its crap especially when they don't play similarly in their home games or Smash.
I mean, there were people who thought :ultkrool: could be a :ultbowser: clone, despite the fact they fight completely differently in their own home franchises and the former's body type is too radically different to work as a clone (he doesn't even have a shell). Funny thing is, K. Rool's big belly did have quiet an impact on his moveset which is not something anyone reallyexpected.

This is true, but it doesn't really account for Nintendo being Nintendo. We don't really know if the guessing game means anything in the first place.
"There is no way they'd tease Ridley as a mere stage boss for months, it's too obvious and too disappointing!"

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
They are both blond, blue eyed muscular martial artists of a similar aesthetic style (within the context of Smash) who wear red clothing and have something of a fiery personality. That's basically where the logic of calling Terry "Hat Ken" comes from. Similar =/= the exact same though.
Now we're pointing out the colour of the eyes as well? This is just random as **** lol

As toonito said, you could simplify every character to some degree. I could call Min Min "Noodle Ribbon Girl" and say "I'm not saying both are exactly the same, just similar!" to justify my statement. As anyone can see, that's as dumb as calling Terry "Hat Ken".

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, they're ****ing wrong
Well, if we’re judging characters chances by popularity polls.

Guess we’re getting Ninjara. Or Min Min I suppose.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I do think it's important to point out the fact that the ARMS situation is actually largely unprecedented in its own right. As someone who tends to operate from precedent a lot in his speculation, I do admit it would make sense for Spring Man to be it as much as I may personally dislike him... but in of itself, there's never been a situation in which the lead character of a game was in a prominent role in the base game that then received a fighter in the same game. The closest examples we have are Animal Crossing going from a minor role in Brawl to playable in Smash 4 and the same for Little Mac from Assist Trophy to playable in Smash 4. But those were outright upgrades where their original roles were either co-opted into the broader Smash representation or outright removed. Punch-Out didn't really have any alternate options to begin with and Animal Crossing was already necessitating some creativity on Sakurai's part.

Like we've just never had a main character in the same game in a place to be upgraded in the first place, let alone from a series that has quite a beloved roster that has constantly had their time to shine as sort of ensemble. That alone disrupts the conversation a lot more than I think we're giving credit for.

What's one thing a lot of people mention sometimes? How much they'd like to see DLC also get Assist Trophies? You know what ARMS is in a unique position to do? Provide Smash with a DLC fighter with a unique assist trophy built into the game (I seriously doubt they're going through the effort to replace Spring Man with Springtron or whomever) alongside a unique fighter. Having an ARMS fighter fight against or alongside Spring Man as an Assist helps show off that ensemble roster just a little bit further and also takes the emphasis off of Spring Man and on to ARMS as a diverse and unique roster with multiple beloved characters.

It certainly could very well be Spring Man come Monday, but I think there's a really unique situation here with some unique opportunities for Nintendo and Sakurai in terms of how they show ARMS to the Smash community and beyond as a series.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Now we're pointing out the colour of the eyes as well? This is just random as **** lol

As toonito said, you could simplify every character to some degree. I could call Min Min "Noodle Ribbon Girl" and say "I'm not saying both are exactly the same, just similar!" to justify my statement. As anyone can see, that's as dumb as calling Terry "Hat Ken".
Don't complain to me, I never was the guy bashing the character.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ooh! And his ARMS are the powerups from Rayman 2!

Heh, I see know that your power is unrivaled. But you've made a fatal mistake. You've locked Byte up with the wrong guy.

Barq is still out there.

Plotting his revenge.

Soon, he will avenge his fallen friends, and take back what is rightfully his.
damn it. We got ourselves a new version of Master Hand. It’s Master Barq and he’s out take revenge.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

That's technically not a popularity poll, but rather a general usage statistics among the more casual ARMS players. Then again, characters that rank that high have to have some degree of appeal for people to even want to play them.

I do think it's important to point out the fact that the ARMS situation is actually largely unprecedented in its own right. As someone who tends to operate from precedent a lot in his speculation, I do admit it would make sense for Spring Man to be it as much as I may personally dislike him... but in of itself, there's never been a situation in which the lead character of a game was in a prominent role in the base game that then received a fighter in the same game. The closest examples we have are Animal Crossing going from a minor role in Brawl to playable in Smash 4 and the same for Little Mac from Assist Trophy to playable in Smash 4. But those were outright upgrades where their original roles were either co-opted into the broader Smash representation or outright removed. Punch-Out didn't really have any alternate options to begin with and Animal Crossing was already necessitating some creativity on Sakurai's part.

Like we've just never had a main character in the same game in a place to be upgraded in the first place, let alone from a series that has quite a beloved roster that has constantly had their time to shine as sort of ensemble. That alone disrupts the conversation a lot more than I think we're giving credit for.

What's one thing a lot of people mention sometimes? How much they'd like to see DLC also get Assist Trophies? You know what ARMS is in a unique position to do? Provide Smash with a DLC fighter with a unique assist trophy built into the game (I seriously doubt they're going through the effort to replace Spring Man with Springtron or whomever) alongside a unique fighter. Having an ARMS fighter fight against or alongside Spring Man as an Assist helps show off that ensemble roster just a little bit further and also takes the emphasis off of Spring Man and on to ARMS as a diverse and unique roster with multiple beloved characters.

It certainly could very well be Spring Man come Monday, but I think there's a really unique situation here with some unique opportunities for Nintendo and Sakurai in terms of how they show ARMS to the Smash community and beyond as a series.
I was in the middle of writing something similar, albeit focused on the strange marketing and more peeved. I'm glad you beat me to it. Precedent is powerful, but sometimes the moment doesn't call for it as much.

I do think that the marketing created expectations that wouldn't have been there otherwise. When the mouth of Nintendo spreads out a bunch of options as possible, it isn't strange that people would actually think they were possible. Maybe we can take it too far, but I can't fault people for listening.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I do think Ninjara is underrated around here. He was initially chosen as a spirit over other characters for a reason and was the other finalist against Min Min in that Party Crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom