• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I don't buy the whole "majority 1st-party pass" thing.

Mostly because it doesn't add up with Sakurai's comments about the difficulties of "working with different companies" during the development of the pass. I can't imagine there'd be that much inter-company work if the majority of the pass was 1st party characters.
There are plenty of different companies who would need to sign off even on things like a new Kirby or Fire Emblem character.
HAL: Kirby
Intelligent Systems: Fire Emblem/Advance Wars/Paper Mario/Pushmo/Rhythm Heaven (also owned by Tsunku)
Itoi: EarthBound
Monolith Soft: Xenoblade
Let's say they include Paper Mario, Rex & Pyra (for tie-in purposes) and then a long requested character like Waddle Dee. You still need the companies that develop those series to cooperate.

Plus, to even sign off on including a straight up Mario character there would be meetings, which would be held up by Corona Virus.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There are plenty of different companies who would need to sign off even on things like a new Kirby or Fire Emblem character.
HAL: Kirby
You'd probably need to go back and get permission for each new Neutral Special you give him as well. I'm sure this would be done all at once rather than individually, but it probably is a thing.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Bold of you to assume the general public wouldn't find Grill from Kirby Star Stacker a more desirable character than that loser Master Chief
Broke: Wanting characters like Master Chief, Doomguy, Dante, Lara Croft, 2B, Pheonix Wright, Ryu Hayabusa, Tracis Touchdown in Smash
Woke: Wanting Colored Pencils from Origami King in Smash

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m going to assume Spring Man. iirc NateDrake is an insider and has been on Spawn Wave’s streams before; I don’t remember what he’s actually gotten right though, tbh, just that others saw him as an insider. He got Metroid Prime Trilogy at the 2018 videogame awards wrong, though, but that’s the only thing I can recall, and iirc Nintendo was actually leaving that info around as bait or something according to other dudes.

But anyway, yeah, I am ready to boioiyoing into battle!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
At this point I'm convinced it's all a lie. There's no ARMS character coming to Smash. There's no second fighter pass. There's no DLC coming out for Smash anymore. What we assumed was the second pass was simply a way to donate 30 bucks so Sakurai can have a nice dinner for every donation

Shroob

Sup?
At this point I'm convinced it's all a lie. There's no ARMS character coming to Smash. There's no second fighter pass. There's no DLC coming out for Smash anymore. What we assumed was the second pass was simply a way to donate 30 bucks so Sakurai can have a nice dinner for every donation
"It was all in ya head, Luigi." :mariomelee:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Usually if insiders know exactly who it is it means it’s pretty close to being announced. Next week it is.l, lads, lasses, and LesbiansBGQs

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
If it's really going to be Spring Man, I'm going to laugh.
But I have to admit that Nintendo's little guessing game worked. Three months ago I didn't know anything about Arms. Now I know the entire roster and some of the characters have grown on me.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, is anyone else having dreams from no news?

2 days ago? Probably the most PACKED dream I have EVER had in regards to Smash Bros. There were character and Mii Fighter costumes being revealed from Nintendo and other companies out the wazoo.

From what I remember:
Spring Man (w/ Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min as alts., a'la Hero)
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dixie Kong
Andy
Lyn
Anna
Mona
Ashley
9-Volt
Virdi
Hades
Blue (Pokemon)
Arle Nadja (w/ Amitie, Ringo Andou, and Ally as alts.)
Alph as a separate character, but Brittany and Charlie were HIS alts. now
Ray MK III (with different Custom Robos as alt. skins)
Isaac (w/ Matthew as an Echo)
Saki (w/ Isa Jo as an alt.)
Segata Sanshiro (both playable AND a Mii Costume)
Lark (w/ Kiwi as an alt.)
Monster Hunter (riding a Rathalos)
Lloyd Irving
Rhythm Heaven (Yes, somehow EVERY character from Rhythm Heaven into one entity, don't ask me how)
A character who could morph into different retro/obscure characters (I remember Prince Sable, Dion, Alice, Muddy Mole, Mr. Stevenson, Mike Jones, Michael Anderson, Doshin, some NES sports characters, someone from Magical Starsign,)
Ryota and Akari Hayami as a team, a'la Ice Climbers
MANY Mii Figther outfits of NiGHTS, Billy Hatcher, Chun-Li, Amigo, Amingo, SonSon, Goku and Chao
A new stage that really celebrated Nintendo's history, by warping into different Nintendo IP settings (NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Game Boy line, DS, Wii U, 3DS, etc.)

There was even more, but this is what I BARELY remember.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So, is anyone else having dreams from no news?
Nah, I don't typically dream.

But when I do it usually starts with something odd like watering flowers in the garden with my sister, Waluigi, and his crush, some anime girl before dinner and ends with something just as weird like basically becoming a Power Ranger and flying around the city with my friends in giant mechs as heroic music that I've never heard before plays in the background like this is the ending to an action flick or something.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nah Edelgard would generate a ton of buzz.

It wouldn't be positive, but she sure would make a splash (which is a light way of saying the internet would turn into a nuke).
We will live in a timeline where an axe user would be considered redundant.

Shroob

Sup?
While true, if that's the case, it would have been a better choice to just not say anything or post something believable, like COVID-19 was delaying development.
This is the same company that thought Wii Music was a good show for E3.

You just get used to Nintendo doing **** that doesn't make sense eventually.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
just caught up on everything, and if it is spring man, then it's a win win for me tbh

i get a character i legitimately like from a game i legitimately like, and i can finally show my support for bomberman, takamaru, etc without being burned at the stake

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I took a look at the Smash speculation thread on Era and it seens that Nate simply meant that he didn't want to give additional hints... which goes without saying but hey, i'll keep anything to keep the hope up for anything other than Springman until the 30th.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
While true, if that's the case, it would have been a better choice to just not say anything or post something believable, like COVID-19 was delaying development.
I'm guessing they figured saying nothing for a full 6 months would have pissed people off more than giving out an incomplete tease.

bruh how the **** did papagenos already churn out a 15-minute vid talking about this
...you just push record and talk for 15 minutes.

But wait, are you saying R.O.B. was actually non binary the whole time?
Robots are always binary. *rimshot*

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
just caught up on everything, and if it is spring man, then it's a win win for me tbh

i get a character i legitimately like from a game i legitimately like, and i can finally show my support for bomberman, takamaru, etc without being burned at the stake
I agree, from an outsider’s perspective, Spring Man (or Ribbon Girl) feels like the ideal pick from a broad, big picture outlook. I felt like Spring Man made the most sense as Sakurai would see it as who would have been in the base, rather than taking things like assist trophies or main character fan theories. And prior to his assist trophy, I would have had no doubt Spring Man would have been the character, as he was high on the polls and even in a fake leak prior to Ultimate’s reveal. His assist trophy didn’t change anything to me in that regard.

I’d really love Bomberman myself. His assist trophy is really the only one that really stings me (EDIT: along with Shadow, though since I would see him as an echo there’s a slight distinction). But I also recognize an assist trophy upgrade doesn’t mean anything for future characters, other than getting rid of another silly fan rule. I do, however, think Spring Man would be special in the sense he would have been in the base had the timing worked out, and that can’t be said for many other characters outside of Rex and a Gen 8 Pokémon. Still, that’s not going to stop me from including Bomberman in speculation hopes, even though I think his chances are near zero, but I haven’t had trouble doing that in the past either.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
View attachment 275290

wow, it's ****ing nothing
I wouldn’t say it’s nothing, but I also wouldn’t say his previous comments mean Spring Man is a lock. We could go back and forth all day interpreting the minutia of his statements. If it is Spring Man, he helped those banking on someone else come to terms with the possibility. If it ends up not being Spring Man, it’ll be a pleasant surprise for them.

Regardless of the outcome, or if he comes out and definitively states he was just speculating like the rest (something I seriously doubt given his reputation at Era), people shouldn’t put too much into insider information. I still think he knows who it is, was hinting at them, but underestimated the firestorm that would come from his hint.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't really see how that response really changes things. Didn't he already state that he didn't want to give any details beyond just knowing the gender of the character to avoid spoiling things? Wasn't that the whole point of his previous post in the first place?

or am I misinterpreting what's going on here?

I.D.

Smash Lord
I wouldn’t say it’s nothing, but I also wouldn’t say his previous comments mean Spring Man is a lock. We could go back and forth all day interpreting the minutia of his statements. If it is Spring Man, he helped those banking on someone else come to terms with the possibility. If it ends up not being Spring Man, it’ll be a pleasant surprise for them.

Regardless of the outcome, or if he comes out and definitively states he was just speculating like the rest (something I seriously doubt given his reputation at Era), people shouldn’t put too much into insider information. I still think he knows who it is, was hinting at them, but underestimated the firestorm that would come from his hint.
I don't really see how that response really changes things. Didn't he already state that he didn't want to give any details beyond just knowing the gender of the character to avoid spoiling things? Wasn't that the whole point of his previous post in the first place?

or am I misinterpreting what's going on here?
"I simply didn't want to give hints regarding the character"

Smashboards: "What did he mean by this?"

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I honestly think it's "primary protagonist is boring" syndrome, where people assume that a main character is inherently less interesting than other important characters.

It happened with Hero and Slime, Terry and Nakoruru, and Byleth and Edelgard, now it's happening with Spring Man and Min Min. If Spring Man gets in, the same thing will happen in the previous three examples where this take mostly dies overnight. If Min Min gets in, I'm expecting the same thing to happen when Chrom was deconfirmed last game: a lot of confirmation bias about how Spring Man's an objectively boring character and Min Min's going to be the protagonist of ARMS 2 and how Sakurai saved ARMS.
It’s interesting to me that people thought Terry was bland considering he is a very colourful character in terms of personality, being closer to Smash Falcon than the more stoic down-to-earth Ryu.

Thats Nathan Drake, the protagonist of the popular Uncharted franchise. He's a nice guy
He looks like a movie star with a million fan girls.

ZelDan

Smash Master

I guess I don't understand the "wow it's nothing comment" when obviously he wouldn't give additional hints beyond what he said. Specifying the gender would be a dead give away.

Which is what many of us figured before the 2D chess comment.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Obvious is too subjective a term to take this seriously.

Whether it means the obvious picks for either gender, for the leaker it could still be considered too obvious. Can't believe I just read through 4 ****ing pages of this...

Either way I don't care how reliable a leaker is, its still heresay. Things need to be taken with a grain of salt until we actually get something substantial leaked or something official is announced.

Heoj

Smash Ace
The way i see it, nate drake not wanting to reveal the gender because it would make it "too obvious" doesn't mean anything at all since "obvious" is an extremely subjective thing. I find it strange that people are immediately hopping on the spring man train just cuz he would be the most obvious male option.

But if you think about it the other way then it gets pretty problematic, what if nate drake doesnt see twintelle dr coyle and ribbon girl as viable options so in his eyes, revealing the character being female would make it obvious in his eyes since he would only view minmin as the only female option.
That might not have made any sense but overall i just dont think this means much anything i mean if he were to say its a female, then that still leaves us with 3 viable options whuch is still really small

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I guess I don't understand the "wow it's nothing comment" when obviously he wouldn't give additional hints beyond what he said. Specifying the gender would be a dead give away.
Let's put it another way:
Several people in this thread are interpreting an extremely innocuous statement as meaning the exact opposite of what the stated intention is (not wanting to hint at the character) and that by not telling us the gender he's actually telling us the gender, just in a very roundabout way because... who knows?

It's the epitome of insane speculation logic and overanalyzing.

Edit: What did he mean by this?

1592557238489.jpg

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

"Additional hints" is conveniently removed from the quote (which also wasn't a direct quote from Nate himself). :chuckle:

I'm fine regardless of outcome--as someone who doesn't play ARMS, I have no stakes in it. But as someone who enjoys speculation, when an insider gives a hint, I find it interesting to dissect it.

Shroob

Sup?
Let's put it another way:
Several people in this thread are interpreting an extremely innocuous statement as meaning the exact opposite of what the stated intention is (not wanting to hint at the character) and that by not telling us the gender he's actually telling us the gender, just in a very roundabout way because... who knows?

It's the epitome of insane speculation logic and overanalyzing.

Edit: What did he mean by this?

View attachment 275292
It's been 6 months since Byleth, people hungry.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
There was a Chrom v. Robin war during Sm4sh? That sounds beautiful, the whole community talking about FE without being completely negative.
There was quite a debate when Robin and Lucina were unveiled and Chrom was kicked to the curb. It broke the Gematsu Leak streak and people were essentially take this leak as gospel due to it getting a lot of characters right. The controversy was mostly due to Lucina getting in for the same reasons Chrom was kicked out and because of the trailer and the supporters (mostly Lucina's from what I remember) making fun of Chrom for not getting, all this turned him into a laughing stock and the butt of many jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom