• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about Final Smashes and how fighters react when an opponent uses one, and it gave me an idea for a game.

Assuming they can emote and their reaction isn't obscured by a helmet or something like that, what kind of face would your most wanted characters (or any character on your wishlist) make in reaction to an incoming Final Smash?
The most humorous case for Shantae.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
You have the EA way of looking at things.

"It doesn't matter if our products make us a good profit. If we don't have ALL the money, it isn't worth it."

Not every series needs to be Pokemon. Not every series SHOULD be Pokemon.
Not every series can be Pokémon, that's true; but it doesn't mean Fire Emblem is a titan, which is what I disagreed on.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't recall a FE concert or expo ever coming to America or anywhere that isn't Japan. Compare that to the Pokémon Symphonic Evolution from 2014 to 2017, a tour around different countries that probably made quite the good chunk of money.

If these things aren't leaving Japan is probably because there's still scars over FE not selling in the west until Awakening came in.
I mean, just because something doesn't sell well internationally doesn't mean it makes no profit.

Globalization accustomed people to the idea that products should have culture-independent appeal but some media simply do better in certain regions and that shouldn't be seen as a failure if it meets the expectations. It's not like FE's overseas sales are awful for an SRPG, anyway.

Also, comparing any series to Pokemon is setting absurdly high standards and isn't useful at all.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Regardless of whether or not Nintendo added Byleth because they genuinely liked him or thought he would benefit the sales of 3H, I don't think now was the time to add another FE character.

What really rubs me the wrong way about this character is that they were fully aware that fans probably wouldn't like Byleth. That much was obvious when they included a "too many swordfighters" joke in Byleth's animated trailer and when Sakurai himself had to downplay the reveal so people wouldn't get their hopes up. So here's my question: If the person who will end up making the character doesn't even have faith in said character being well-received among fans, why make him go through with it? Did they not give him a choice, or did Sakurai not suggest choosing a different character despite knowing fans would probably be upset?

Depending on who's in the rest of the second pass, Byleth might feel less forced. If they continue adding newer first-parties like they're doing with ARMS, then maybe they'll be able to pass it off as them wanting to add a few Switch reps before Smash goes on another long hiatus. As of now though, I can't help but feel like Nintendo essentially told us, "We don't really care if you dislike the character. We know most of you will buy him anyway."

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Regardless of whether or not Nintendo added Byleth because they genuinely liked him or thought he would benefit the sales of 3H, I don't think now was the time to add another FE character.

What really rubs me the wrong way about this character is that they were fully aware that fans probably wouldn't like Byleth. That much was obvious when they included a "too many swordfighters" joke in Byleth's animated trailer and when Sakurai himself had to downplay the reveal so people wouldn't get their hopes up. So here's my question: If the person who will end up making the character doesn't even have faith in said character being well-received, why make him go through with it? Did they not give him a choice, or did Sakurai not suggest choosing a different character despite knowing fans would probably be upset?

Depending on who's in the rest of the second pass, Byleth might feel less forced. If they continue adding newer first-parties like they're doing with ARMS, then maybe they'll be able to pass it off as them wanting to add a few Switch reps before Smash goes on another long hiatus. As of now though, I can't help but feel like Nintendo essentially told us, "We don't really care if you dislike the character. We know most of you will buy him anyway."
I mean, that's exactly what they expect of us, and like, 99% of us did it anyway, because Smash is one hell of a drug.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

What really rubs me the wrong way about this character is that they were fully aware that fans probably wouldn't like Byleth. That much was obvious when they included a "too many swordfighters" joke in Byleth's animated trailer and when Sakurai himself had to downplay the reveal so people wouldn't get their hopes up. So here's my question: If the person who will end up making the character doesn't even have faith in said character being well-received among fans, why make him go through with it? Did they not give him a choice, or did Sakurai not suggest choosing a different character despite knowing fans would probably be upset?

By that point Nintendo had already said that the Fighters Pass was a massive success in sales. I doubt they genuinely thought about mocking people when making that joke (because it's not smart), but still, some food for thought.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
I was thinking about Final Smashes and how fighters react when an opponent uses one, and it gave me an idea for a game.

Assuming they can emote and their reaction isn't obscured by a helmet or something like that, what kind of face would your most wanted characters (or any character on your wishlist) make in reaction to an incoming Final Smash?
The most obvious one if you ask me.
FB_IMG_1479929926296.jpg

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Also, it doesn't help that Fire Emblem keeps getting another new rep every game while series like Kirby or Zelda get no new characters.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Not every series can be Pokémon, that's true; but it doesn't mean Fire Emblem is a titan, which is what I disagreed on.
It absolutely is a titan. It just so happens that 3H isn't the reason why. The series could do Shadows of Valentia numbers for the rest of its existence and it would still be a titan because that just means more characters for people to spend their orbs on.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ok so new idea, the last character you played as in any game is coming to Smash, doesn't matter if it's a licensed game or anything either, who's the lucky character? In my case, Wacky Wahoo Pizza Man from DMC3
Well, the last game I played was New Horizons.

Hoo boy! My dreams of playing as "New Villager" are coming true. Totally can't wait to see how slightly longer appendages and a slimmer frame make him a completely unique character.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord

As one of the Smash fans who was super happy about Byleth being added, I think the mistake in this reasoning is assuming all smash fans would have a problem with Byleth, or more swordfighters.

Just because a lot of people complained (and still do) doesn't mean the fanbase unanymously hates the character.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Ok so new idea, the last character you played as in any game is coming to Smash, doesn't matter if it's a licensed game or anything either, who's the lucky character? In my case, Wacky Wahoo Pizza Man from DMC3
MMZ Zero. Would be definitely interesting, but I struggle to imagine any Final Smash for him.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I regretably haven't had the chance to play MMZ (Still need to buy Mega Man 11 and the collections too) but wouldn't Omega work? Have Omega pop in and he and Zero fight while the opponents get caught up in the crossfire
You mean Omega as some kind of Petey Piranha situation? His second form could definitely work as such given how huge it's supposed to be. The other two forms, not so much, the first one is kind of lacking in attacks (but I do admit it could just have some original moves to compensate) and the Zero form is too small.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
**** Kratos screw Nathan Drake we getting Sam Porter Bridges throwing blood and piss grenades at Kirby.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's fully understandable - you were 10 - 12 around Brawl's development and reveals yes? I was smack dab in that age range when Melee came out (and I got into Smash). I had the same kind of reasoning and opinions around characters then.
Yeah, I was just 12 during the portion of Brawl speculation I took part in (from the Dojo's opening and forward). It was my first online community experience of any kind, so while I might not have had a graceful reaction to a lot of things, I did learn a lot from it. I'm also quite lucky that my posts from back then are nowhere to be found anymore after Brawl Central bit the dust, so I can't go back and read all my nonsense of the past.

Captain Ginyu in Dragon Ball FighterZ, time for Smash players to learn the delicate art of posing!

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Uh... it was Axel Stone. Yep it was definitely him. I didn't open up steam and play Streets of Rage 4 after looking at your comment just to justify it and the game I actually did play last was not Black Ops 2 Zombies where I was playing as a CIA guy.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Lora/Jin from Xenoblade 2: Torna.

They could be pretty interesting depending on how they wanted to design them. Either as a pair with a switching mechanic (Like pokemon trainer but just between two fighters) or just playing as one of the two while the other just supports the main fighter.

Or they could just have Jin playable. Smash could always use more antagonists as playable characters.

SKX31

Smash Master
It was Ring Fit Adventurer. One of my wants in Smash, so I'm perfectly fine with this scenario. Could also deviate from WFT thanks to the Ring as well as the two not doing the exact same excersises (IIRC).

Also, something completely different:

Tencent to become largest shareholder in Japanese video games developer Marvelous (Story of Seasons, Daemon X Machina)

Tencent's buying 20 % of Marvelous, and I quote:

“Tencent’s reason for the investment is probably to learn how to make console games from Japanese companies (Tencent's also trying to learn from Nintendo), one of the last frontiers for the Chinese tech company’s game business,” said Hideki Yasuda, an analyst at Ace Research Institute. “The investment will help Marvelous ride through the period of global economic uncertainty, and release more of its domestically popular titles to the Western market.”

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I hope you guys are hungry for more Fire Emblem because the last character I played as was Olivia from Fire Emblem Warriors.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It was Ring Fit Adventurer. One of my wants in Smash, so I'm perfectly fine with this scenario. Could also deviate from WFT thanks to the Ring as well as the two not doing the exact same excersises (IIRC).
It's weird how Ring Fit became an actual want for me rather than a joke pick.

There is so much potential in that game to provide an unironically good Fighter Pack.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Linkle from Hyrule Warriors.

Awesome!

dezeray112

Smash Hero
The last game I played was Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, so I guess my character choice would have to be Stocke.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Looks like we’re getting, uh...
(Looks at most recently used Dragalia Lost team)
...Wedding Elisanne. Sure, why not?

If we don’t count me briefly logging into Dragalia Lost this morning, then it’d be Rean Schwarzer. He’d be pretty neat. They could take his moveset in a bunch of different directions, considering just how many special powers he has

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Look at Chrom. It's true he's just an echo, but they padded him in basically the best way possible, and there was very little grumbling about his addition after the fact for being another blue-haired, sword-wielding, Fire Emblem clone.
Chrom was an echo fighter and also got in due to fan request, which helped him. People also felt sorry for him. Byleth lack these advantages.

Damn they really made a furry pass and didn't include Krystal, smh
Sad day, but Disney characters just had to be prioritised for Fighter Pass 2: Furry Edition. Krystal would have been a pretty unique character with her staff.

There is so much potential in that game to provide an unironically good Fighter Pack.
Ring Fit Adventurer vs Wii Fit Trainer would certainly be an interesting matchup.

Calane

Smash Ace
Duran from Trials of Mana.

ToM-Duran.png There would be cries of "another anime swordsman!?" heard across the globe.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Most articles speaking about Nintendo's approach don't point out to why. We have one where Furukawa talked about bringing new crowds through Smash (which basically explains all the third-party characters), but that certainly doesn't apply to Byleth, there's that one where an employee says everyone is a must buy, which doesn't really mean anything; same for Reggie's interview. I don't expect Nintendo to reveal why they went with the characters they did, but what little there is to speculate on doesn't really suggest anything better than an attempt at advertising.
Speaking as someone who used this very same argument months ago (and kinda regrets it in hindsight), I came to accept that even if there are underlying patterns over the fighters' selection that doesn't mean that they are going to apply to every single character.
What I mean by this is that, while I still believe that "drawing new crowds" was one the major objective behind FP1, Nintendo probably thought that 2-3 fighters of that kind were well enough for their plan to come to fruition.
Banjo and Byleth being chosen among Joker, Hero and Terry doesn't make their M.O. incoherent, it just means that this "rule" was a lot more lenient than what we initially thought.

I think a more clear example of what am I saying is how some people think that the inclusion of Incineroar and Plant "ruined" Ultimate's base roster because it signified that the developers didn't focus entirely on long awaited fan-favourites to make the most out of the few resources thay had dedicated to newcomers (though of course that was entirely on the community for having that kind of expectations).

The bottom line is that, at the end of the day, characters get chosen mostly for their individual merits (whatever they may be or how we feel about their value), and those merits can help them overcome any "patterns",genuine or not, so those should be treated more as a general guideline than as ironclad commandments.
Like, even if we start to notice some patterns when 3+ characters get revealed for F2P, that doesn't mean that those patterns will apply to every single character, but even then it also doesn't mean that those patterns weren't valid.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774

Speaking of weirdly good fighter that remind me of something related to R.O.B. and Mr Game & Watch could we have a character based around the Power Glove and Virtual Boy ? A Made up character representing these two weird device Nintendo released.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Typically the latest game I'm playing is Eltale Monsters(updated Quest 64).

brian4.png
It's time to use a staff to kick some ass~

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
So a part of me Hopes that Sakurai is aware of Trails in the sky because I think Estelle Bright could be a cool option
I would lose my mind if that were to happen. My dream announcement would be a Switch port of the Sky trilogy along with Estelle as a Smash fighter. There are some upcoming releases that I could potentially see Trails Smash content being used to promote -- in Japan, there's Hajimari no Kiseki coming this year, and in the west, there's Cold Steel IV coming late 2020/early 2021. If anything I think a Spirit event is more likely, but Estelle as a fighter would be great

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm playing Donkey Kong Land (GB) for the first time, I don't know I was curious to see how a prerendered game would play on GB.
I can't believe Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong are coming to Smash, wow!

(if that doesn't count, then the Lode Runner protagonist I guess... yeah I'm exploring some retro gaming right now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom