• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The only [video game] character I'm sort of against is Sora, simply because he's technically part of the Disney Universe. You literally visit Woody and Buzz, and that's too close for comfort for me.
I understand that Sora is a VERY popular request, but to me, it'd be like adding Android 21 from Dragon Ball Fighterz. Yea, she technically is a video game character whose origin is in a video game, but it's still part of the Dragon Ball series, which ISN'T a video game series.

Sora is in that same boat. Just like DuckTales music, it's iconic to gaming, but it's existentially tied to Disney.
I mean, as long as your opinions against the character are pretty standard and not extreme like some other people who seem like they would absolutely rage if a character they didn’t like got in, I think it’s okay, even if I still don’t quite get being 100% against a character’s inclusion. For me, I’m not really against any character for any reason, though for example I would far prefer Steve over Chief of course and he would disappoint me, but Chief is still kinda cool and I don’t hate him so I’d just accept it. So I guess I understand being kinda against a character in that way; I guess I just wish people weren’t so rude about it, not caring about how it’s a crossover and other people play the game too.

Though I guess this doesn’t sound as related to what you’re saying as I hoped it would since I know you’re being cool about it :S

To be fair about Sora, though, Kingdom Hearts does have its own original characters and worlds, and is its own series with Disney crossing over for some of it (though I know Disney owns rights to Sora and I guess the other original characters) rather than being based on/within any other series in particular. This is just based on what I’ve observed, though, as I haven’t played the series.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So do you guys think we'll also get FP7 announced in June or do you think it'll be the ARMS rep only?

I'm feeling we will given the ARMS rep was revealed two months ago. Enough time for perhaps an tease at least.

Then watch they do the same with the ARMS rep again and just say its an character from said franchise.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Ironically, I was extremely disappointed with Incineroar at first because I MUCH preferred Decidueye, but I love playing as Incineroar for his playstyle.
His Side-B even inspired me to support a Rhythm Heaven character where almost all attacks are timing based. Rhythm based combos sounds amazing.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The only [video game] character I'm sort of against is Sora, simply because he's technically part of the Disney Universe. You literally visit Woody and Buzz, and that's too close for comfort for me.
I understand that Sora is a VERY popular request, but to me, it'd be like adding Android 21 from Dragon Ball Fighterz. Yea, she technically is a video game character whose origin is in a video game, but it's still part of the Dragon Ball series, which ISN'T a video game series.

Sora is in that same boat. Just like DuckTales music, it's iconic to gaming, but it's existentially tied to Disney.
For me, the difference is that Dragon Ball Fighterz is an adaptation of a non-video game franchise, while Kingdom Hearts is a video game franchise with non-video game characters used in it. Aside from Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, the most important characters to the franchise are original to the series so if you really had to you could exclude the rest of Disney's properties and still have some decent content (which is what SSF2 does for the most part).

Besides, even if you bent the rule to include non-video game properties with a clear impact on gaming, Kingdom Hearts is really the only series that's getting in with this added leniency since game adaptations of non-video game properties tend to just be shovelware or 1-2 good games in a sea of other great ones. Heck, I wouldn't even bet on DuckTails content unless The Moon is one of the tracks that comes with Sora.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So do you guys think we'll also get FP7 announced in June or do you think it'll be the ARMS rep only?

I'm feeling we will given the ARMS rep was revealed two months ago. Enough time for perhaps an tease at least.

Then watch they do the same with the ARMS rep again and just say its an character from said franchise.
I think that Fighter's Pass Volume 2 characters will be pretty evenly spread out until December 2021, but I think we're gonna get something extra BETWEEN Fighter's Pass characters.
https://smashboards.com/threads/we-may-be-getting-more-dlc-characters-than-you-think.504876/

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I think FP7 will be announced in June, yeah. Just judging by the timing being close to around when E3 should have been it seems like Nintendo would have had something more up their sleeve for Smash than just ARMS.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Question for all of you. What's been the best Smash reveals since Brawl's:ultsnake:?
In terms of personal hype levels, in no particular order per tier and excluding Brawl reveals. (For those curious, Snake would be in A Tier and Sonic in S Tier.)
  • S Tier - :ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool::ultridley:"EVERYONE IS HERE!"
  • A Tier - :ultcloud::ultmegaman::ultsimon::ultrichter:
  • B Tier -:ultinkling::ultlittlemac::ultpacman::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
  • C Tier - :ultbayonetta::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ulthero::ultjoker::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultdaisy::ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultryu::ultken::ultshulk::ult_terry::ultvillager:
  • D Tier -:ultbowserjr::ultincineroar::ultlucina::ultdarkpit:
  • E Tier -:ultisabelle::ultpiranha:
  • F Tier -:ultbyleth::ultcorrin:
-= S Tier =-
For god tier reveals. Not necessarily based on how much I wanted them, but mostly lines up.
  • Banjo was a pipe dream character for me, so I was over the goddamn moon to see him get in.
  • Prior to Banjo, King K. Rool was my most hyped reveal.
  • While not my most wanted character, Ridley was some sick ****.
  • I don't believe I need to explain why EVERYONE IS HERE! was so goddamn amazing as a reveal.

-= A Tier =-
Great reveals, but not as amazing as the prior tier.
  • While I've never played a single Final Fantasy game, even I was pretty impressed with Cloud's reveal.
  • Mega Man was a major want for me during the Brawl days, so seeing him finally get in was pretty great. Not in S Tier because while I really wanted him, his reveal was rather ho-hum compared to the ones in S Tier.
  • Simon and Richter were both amazing characters to include in Smash. I'm beyond glad that they used their more iconic designs for this game.

-= B Tier =-
Above average reveals or characters go here.
  • Inkling was great for the sheer bait-and-switch nature of their reveal.
  • Little Mac's reveal was overall pretty great, especially how it was animated.
  • Pac-Man's reveal was a tad underwhelming, but his sheer star power saved him from being any lower.
  • Chrom wasn't the most exciting character to be sure, but it was a nice reveal considering the history surrounding the character. It also helps that he was revealed alongside...
  • Dark Samus may not be as representative of how she functions in her games, but having her in the game at all is pretty great.

-= C Tier =-
The average tier. Completely acceptable characters and reveals. Nothing to really say about any of them.

-= D Tier =-
Subpar or largely boring reveals go here.
  • While Bowser Jr. was considerably acceptable for most people upon his reveal, I think he's a very boring character overall and I wouldn't be upset to see him go in the next game.
  • While I've largely come to love Incineroar in time, his initial reveal was pretty lackluster overall.
  • Lucina is a very whatever character for me.
  • Dark Pit is an alright addition, but not only would I not miss him, his reveal was probably the most unclear out of all of the reveals in the history of Smash.

-= E Tier =-
Bad reveals.
  • Isabelle is a very underwhelming character and her reveal was pretty terrible overall. It was way too slow and laidback, and there was little-to-no suspense as they played coy and pretended as though this wasn't a Smash reveal.
  • While I don't hate the character, there is little debate that this was easily one of the least exciting reveals in all of Smash.

-= F Tier =-
Absolutely horrible reveals.
  • While I don't hate Byleth at all, there's really no debate that their reveal was hot trash.
  • Unlike Byleth, I don't care for Corrin whatsoever. Their reveal wasn't very good at all, either.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Indeed, the ARMS 2 theory is one that has holes in it and the idea of having a complete unknown from a merely speculated sequel as a newcomer DLC really seems like a stretch. If there are people who truly believe that then
yes that is the case. My friend who worked at Nintendo has confirmed to me that FP6 is a new ARMS character from the sequel - a samurai catgirl apparently. The next five fighters he leaked through the power of telepathy were: Gadget Hackwrench from Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers; Lola Bunny From Space Jam; Captain Amelia from Treasure Planet; Magica De Spell of Ducktales fame and Judy Hopps from Zootopia. So many non-video game characters and no Goku or Shrek?!?
Damn they really made a furry pass and didn't include Krystal, smh
I believe there is a distinction between “not caring for a character choice” vs “actively being opposed to a character.”

“I’m not a big Minecraft fan, so I don’t really care about seeing Steve in Smash.”

Vs

“Steve in Smash would be a terrible addition, we still need Banjo and Chief first!”
I don't follow. If you think a character would make Smash a worse game, it only follows that you'd actively want them out of it.

Like, I'm sorry if anyone would be delighted to see Bubsy in Smash, but I think he'd have a lame moveset and cheapen whatever fame or status Smash has, so I want him as far away from the game as possible.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So let’s see if we can. Let’s talk about our dislikes WITHOUT being judgmental.

I do not like the idea of Dante in Smash. I was particularly opposed back when DmC had never been on a Nintendo console, because while that’s not a “rule,” it’s definitely an aspect I care about in Smash Bros. Even Cloud and Joker don’t bother me in this way because FF and SMT games are very historical to Nintendo. I do not think the appearances in PxZ are enough for me to really call Dante a Nintendo character.
:4pacman:Oh my god you're an idiot and there is no reason for you to feel this way. Disliked and unsubscribed.:4pacman:
(adding multiple PAC-MANs because I cannot risk this statement being taken seriously.)

On a serious note though, you can't call any of the 3rd party characters Nintendo characters because that's what a 3rd party character is by definition. To be honest, I don't get not wanting a character purely because they don't have ties to Nintendo. It's a pretty arbitrary quality to measure a character's worth. I do understand not being able to be a fan of the character due to inaccessibility or just plain not finding them appealing (as seems to also be the case with you and Dante), but I don't get actively being against the less Nintendo prevalent 3rd parties on that basis alone.

?????????????

Smash Master
So the answer is...no! We CANNOT express our dislikes without picking it apart.

That’s fine. I am absolutely not upset, it’s exactly what I expected lol

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Personally Incineroar's reveal to me was even more disappointing than Byleth simply because Byleth came after Banjo, a character I wanted so much to finally see in Smash that everything later became almost irrelevant to me. After Banjo, Smash to me is complete and any addition is welcomed and good, I just don't care anymore. Incineroar was just weird simply because they could've left for last basically any other character to end on some big hype, like K. Rool, the Belmonts, Ridley, anyone really.

Piranha Plant instead was great. I love troll reveals like the Wii Fit Trainer one back in the day.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
https://sega.jp/special/tw60th/

SEGA put out free icons rn featuring a ton of their IPs

The interesting thing is that puts alot of "who owns who" discussion to rest.

Guardian Heroes is only copyrighted to SEGA. Some people thought SEGA published Treasure games (Gunstar, Alien Soldier, Light Crusader, etc) may have been co-op ownership but its SEGA only actually.

There was rumors SEGA sold REZ to Microsoft but that was false as well

Seaman also had rumors SEGA gave rights to Nintendo back in 2012 cause the creator wanted to revive it for the 3DS, but thats false as well. (also i find it strange OPeNBooK Co., Ltd is listed in copyrights but they havent used that name since the 90s. Their called Vivarium Inc now unless something happened recently?)

Also Vanillware IPs are SEGA IP's as well so as a result alot of Atlus published titles like Power Instinct, Maken X, Growlanser, etc are SEGA IPs as well.

The only mystery to me to this day is if SEGA or Vic Tokai owns Battle Mania and I will never find out.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

So what I'm getting from this is... are we finally free to enjoy Seaman for Smash?

Dunno what's the ratio of people who will remember this joke, but it's late and my sleep-deprived brain demanded I make it. But really tho... why a Seaman icon?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
https://sega.jp/special/tw60th/

Guardian Heroes is only copyrighted to SEGA. Some people thought SEGA published Treasure games (Gunstar, Alien Soldier, Light Crusader, etc) may have been co-op ownership but its SEGA only actually.

There was rumors SEGA sold REZ to Microsoft but that was false as well

Seaman also had rumors SEGA gave rights to Nintendo back in 2012 cause the creator wanted to revive it for the 3DS, but thats false as well. (also i find it strange OPeNBooK Co., Ltd is listed in copyrights but they havent used that name since the 90s. Their called Vivarium Inc now unless something happened recently?)

Also Vanillware IPs are SEGA IP's as well so as a result alot of Atlus published titles like Power Instinct, Maken X, Growlanser, etc are SEGA IPs as well.

The only mystery to me to this day is if SEGA or Vic Tokai owns Battle Mania and I will never find out.
Ayyyyyy Rez, I freakin love rhythm based action games. My current obsession is Sayonara Wild Hearts, in fact

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Incineroar was just weird simply because they could've left for last basically any other character to end on some big hype, like K. Rool, the Belmonts, Ridley, anyone really.
But Smash reveals never ramp up to a climax. It's not a story, it doesn't follow those rules. It didn't for Brawl, it didn't for 4, or 4's DLC, it didn't for Ultimate, or the first pass. If people expect a roster to end in a bang, it's really on them at this point, because there's nothing to indicate it will, and lots to indicate it won't.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, let's just break down on some Newcomer reactions from Brawl onwards:
:ultmetaknight::ultzss::ultwario: Happy. More so because there was a new game but these guys were nice first impressions.
:ultsnake: It was honestly my first introduction to guest characters, or at least, the one I can remember. Can't say I was excited, but I was still more or less interested.
:ultlucas:Wasn't familiar, so didn't care.
:ultkingdedede:Happy.
:ultike:Didn't care.
:ultdiddy:Same.
:ultpokemontrainer:Almost the same. I was too young back then, so I thought it was some stand-in for Ash.
:ultsonic:Super excited back then, as I used to love Sonic.
:ultlucario:I have fond memories of Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, so I was happy.
:ultolimar:Wasn't familiar.
:ulttoonlink:Wasn't a fan, and I couldn't perceive him as anything better than a Young Link replacement.

Smash 4:
:ultvillager:Animal Crossing was already an stablished franchise, so to me, this inclusion was just bound to happen.
:ultmegaman: Super excited.
:ultwiifittrainer:Didn't care or complain.
:ultrosalina:Curious about the inclusion, not so much about playing as her.
:ultlittlemac:Glad for all the fans who asked for him.
:ultgreninja:Wasn't interested.
:ultpalutena:Same. Specially with the false leak and speculation videos going on.
:ultpacman:Saw this from miles away. Suffered from a similar effect as Palutena.
:ultrobin::ultlucina: Not a single bit of positive opinions back then, because I wanted the Gematsu leak to be 100% accurate. Don't view them so much like that anymore.
:ultshulk:Predictable. Gematsu shenanigans not withstanding.
:ultduckhunt:Laughed when I saw them in the leaks, ended up loving them.
:ultbowserjr:Interested, ended up like them.
:ultdarkpit:Meh. Sometimes enjoyed, sometimes not.
:ultryu:Super happy about his inclusion.
:ultcloud:Lost my mind big time.
:ultcorrin:Down the rabbit hole. So awful to this day.
:ultbayonetta:Was better than Corrin, but still a bittersweet end.

Ultimate:
:ultridley:Super glad as I used to be a Ridley supporter from outside.
:ultdaisy:I was at the night the Smash segment got leaked on 4chan. Needless to say I was speechless at the idea that I unconsciously spoiled myself a night prior without knowing so.
:ultsimon::ultrichter:Happy.
:ultdarksamus::ultchrom:Saw them coming as soon as people noticed the change of colour palettes on Samus and Ike.
:ultkrool:Excited.
:ultisabelle:She was a Nintendo mascot at the point of her reveal. It made sense to include her.
:ultken:Glad. Things improved as his trailer went on.
:ultincineroar:Wasn't interested, but didn't find him to be an awful addition or such.
:ultpiranha:Bizarre. Just bizarre.
:ultjoker:Lost my head at it, again.
:ulthero:They felt more like a relief after months of drought in Smash news.
:ultbanjokazooie:Okay.
:ult_terry:As soon as I saw the SNK leak, I knew it'd be exciting. Needless to say I loved the teaser from start to finish.
:ultbyleth:Sour, just sour. Things really haven't changed for the better as time went on. Specially after seeing how little has TH improved in sales between January and March. Actually, the fact that the sales didn't break the 3 million in those next months leads me to believe this inclusion backfired on them, especially when you compare those numbers to those of other games such as Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion and New Horizons. It's because of characters like this that I am glad that Nintendo gets their stuff leaked, and why I don't feel bad for their games being hacked or datamined. No amount of hype money will ever be worth going through weeks of drama like those.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
So what I'm getting from this is... are we finally free to enjoy Seaman for Smash?

Dunno what's the ratio of people who will remember this joke, but it's late and my sleep-deprived brain demanded I make it. But really tho... why a Seaman icon?
Funny enough, the creator of Seaman was very close friends with Iwata

but no

ZelDan

Smash Master
Guess I'll join in on the fun

ULTIMATE:

Hype: :ultsimon::ultrichter:
Happy with it::ultkrool::ultbyleth::ultinkling:
Meh: :ultridley::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultjoker::ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:
Absolutely disgusting: :ultpiranha:

SMASH 4:

Hype: :4megaman::4cloud::4bayonetta:
Happy with it: :4lucina::4palutena::4shulk::4pacman::rosalina:
Meh::4darkpit::4corrin::4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4miif::4mii::4villager::4robinm::4greninja:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
:ultbyleth:Sour, just sour. Things really haven't changed for the better as time went on. Specially after seeing how little has TH improved in sales between January and March. Actually, the fact that the sales didn't break the 3 million in those next months leads me to believe this inclusion backfired on them, especially when you compare those numbers to those of other games such as Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion and New Horizons. It's because of characters like this that I am glad that Nintendo gets their stuff leaked, and why I don't feel bad for their games being hacked or datamined. No amount of hype money will ever be worth going through weeks of drama like those.
This seems needlessly bitter when you're literally advocating for Nintendo to get hacked just because you don't like the character they included in Smash. Grow up a little.

Also, Fire Emblem Three Houses is now the best selling game in the franchise and it was never going to sell as much as those other titles considering how big they've become and inherently more niche a massive Strategy RPG like Fire Emblem is compared to those other titles as well. Also, you're working from the assumption that Byleth was chosen solely to push sales of Three Houses which is inherently flawed in of itself considering Fire Emblem has progressively become a larger and more profitable brand for Nintendo across the board, and there are other things they're looking to such as Heroes. Not to mention they may have just wanted to put a character known on the Switch specifically in and saw Byleth as a good choice. It's a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
There was a crossover fighter between DCU and Mortal Kombat in like 2011-ish.
It took out all the gore, so so could Smash.
I don't think trhat the gore per se is scorpion problem, he has enough extremely iconic moves (the chain, teleport kick, flame breath, mortal kombat clunky animated uppercuts, sweep kicks and flying kicks) that you really don't need to put any gore and he would still feel extremelye scorpion and mortalkombatish. the problem is more than due to teh extreme gore, mortal kombat have been banned in japan, therefore is an incredible unkown character in japan, and that's what actually hurt him. is not like little mac or ridley, that weren't popular, but actally unkown. I don't know if mk11 has been oficially released in japan, if yes maybe that could help, but i don't see him likely. (and therefore, if we don't see him likely... he is actually confirmed in smash! you only have to see the speculation current track record! :D)

toonito

Smash Ace
i'll scale my hype of newcomers from 1 to 5

BRAWL
:metaknight:3/5
:snake: 5/5
:dedede:2/5
:wolf:4/5
:wario:3/5
:sonic:4/5
:diddy:3/5
:olimar:1/5
:ike:2/5
:rob:1/5
:toonlink:4/5
:pt:4/5
:lucario:3/5
:zerosuitsamus:3/5
:lucas:1/5
:pit:3/5

My Most Hyped Brawl Debut: :snake:

SMASH 4
:4bayonetta:4/5
:4bowserjr:2/5
:4cloud:5/5
:4corrin:1/5
:4darkpit:1/5
:4drmario:1/5
:4duckhunt:3/5
:4greninja:4/5
:4littlemac:4/5
:4lucina:1/5
:4megaman:5/5
:4mewtwo:4/5
:4mii:1/5
:4pacman:5/5
:4palutena:1/5
:4robinm:3/5
:rosalina:2/5
:4ryu:5/5
:4shulk:4/5
:4villager:3/5
:4wiifit:1/5

Most Hyped Smash 4 Debuts: :4megaman::4cloud::4ryu:

ULTIMATE
:ultbanjokazooie: 3/5
:ultbyleth:1/5
:ulthero:4/5
:ultincineroar:4/5
:ultinkling:3/5
:ultisabelle:3/5
:ultjoker:4/5
:ultkrool:3/5
:ultdaisy:3/5
:ultpiranha:2/5
:ultridley:3/5
:ultchrom:1/5
:ultken:5/5
:ultdarksamus:3/5
:ultsimon::ultrichter:4/5
:ult_terry:5/5

My Most Hyped Ultimate Debuts: :ultken::ult_terry:

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
i'll scale my hype of newcomers from 1 to 5

BRAWL
:metaknight:3/5
:snake: 5/5
:dedede:2/5
:wolf:4/5
:wario:3/5
:sonic:4/5
:diddy:3/5
:olimar:1/5
:ike:2/5
:rob:1/5
:toonlink:4/5
:pt:4/5
:lucario:3/5
:zerosuitsamus:3/5
:lucas:1/5
:pit:3/5

My Most Hyped Brawl Debut: :snake:

SMASH 4
:4bayonetta:4/5
:4bowserjr:2/5
:4cloud:5/5
:4corrin:1/5
:4darkpit:1/5
:4drmario:1/5
:4duckhunt:3/5
:4greninja:4/5
:4littlemac:4/5
:4lucina:1/5
:4megaman:5/5
:4mewtwo:4/5
:4mii:1/5
:4pacman:5/5
:4palutena:1/5
:4robinm:3/5
:rosalina:2/5
:4ryu:5/5
:4shulk:4/5
:4villager:3/5
:4wiifit:1/5

Most Hyped Smash 4 Debuts: :4megaman::4cloud::4ryu:

ULTIMATE
:ultbanjokazooie: 3/5
:ultbyleth:1/5
:ulthero:4/5
:ultincineroar:4/5
:ultinkling:3/5
:ultisabelle:3/5
:ultjoker:4/5
:ultkrool:3/5
:ultdaisy:3/5
:ultpiranha:2/5
:ultridley:3/5
:ultchrom:1/5
:ultken:5/5
:ultdarksamus:3/5
:ultsimon::ultrichter:4/5
:ult_terry:5/5

My Most Hyped Ultimate Debuts: :ultken::ult_terry:
I bet I can guess your most wanted.
Heihachi. Scorpion. Akira.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
mortal kombat have been banned in japan
It has been stated multiple times that this is not the case. I believe it's just not localized.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's banned in China though. I heard they don't allow skeletons to be shown (though they allow Pokémon which has Cubone so I dunno. Might only pertain to human skeletons).

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
It has been stated multiple times that this is not the case. I believe it's just not localized.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's banned in China though. I heard they don't allow skeletons to be shown (though they allow Pokémon which has Cubone so I dunno. Might only pertain to human skeletons).
I remember when China first unbanned video games as a whole, but the restrictions were so extreme that it basically meant anything more provocative than Super Mario was still banned.
I haven't exactly kept up to date with Chinese law, though. I'm a bad Commie.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
But Smash reveals never ramp up to a climax. It's not a story, it doesn't follow those rules. It didn't for Brawl, it didn't for 4, or 4's DLC, it didn't for Ultimate, or the first pass. If people expect a roster to end in a bang, it's really on them at this point, because there's nothing to indicate it will, and lots to indicate it won't.
This is pretty much my biggest issue when it comes to Smash speculation.

People want banger after banger after banger after banger without taking the chance to think, setting themselves for disappointment every time. Only time I can see some justification for it was the first Fighters Pass having been all 3rd party so far, it was easy to assume so would be the last one, and I'll admit to have been in that group.

Every other time? Yeah, no. 64 ended with Jigglypuff, Melee ended with Game & Watch, Brawl ended with Wolf, Smash 4 base game with Shulk, Smash 4 DLC with Corrinetta, Ultimate's base game with Kencineroar. Yet a very vocal part hasn't learned to control their hype.

...Which serves nothing since we end giving Nintendo money for their products anyway, making roster complains fall on deaf ears.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Every other time? Yeah, no. 64 ended with Jigglypuff, Melee ended with Game & Watch, Brawl ended with Wolf, Smash 4 base game with Shulk, Smash 4 DLC with Corrinetta, Ultimate's base game with Kencineroar. Yet a very vocal part hasn't learned to control their hype.
Pretty sure the only reason we know Super Smash Bros. ended with Jigglypuff and Super Smash Bros. Melee ended with Mr. Game & Watch is because they told us in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the first game to have an actual hype cycle as far as I can tell.

Also, Shulk had a fan base so large they convinced Nintendo to localize his game (which is a very long and dialogue heavy RPG). He may not be a Mega Man or PAC-MAN but he ain't no Corrin either.

Also also, Super Smash Bros. Brawl came out in Japan before Wolf's reveal. The last revealed character for the game is actually Olimar.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Yeah when it comes to speculation never factor in "they must be saving something big for the end" into it. That has never ever been right. You can factor in other common trends. Like mascot/protagonist first. But even that's not a rule. That's a trend. But in speculation you can bring that up as a factor. But what was said above is never a factor.

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Pretty sure the only reason we know Super Smash Bros. ended with Jigglypuff and Super Smash Bros. Melee ended with Mr. Game & Watch is because they told us in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the first game to have an actual hype cycle as far as I can tell.

Also, Shulk had a fan base so large they convinced Nintendo to localize his game (which is a very long and dialogue heavy RPG). He may not be a Mega Man or PAC-MAN but he ain't no Corrin either.

Also also, Super Smash Bros. Brawl came out in Japan before Wolf's reveal. The last revealed character for the game is actually Olimar.
Fair with Jigglypuff and Olimar, but Game & Watch is the last character you can ever unlock with Melee with legit methods, no matter which, so I consider safe to say Melee ends with him.

I wouldn't really call Shulk's fanbase large back then, considering that they only got them to release the game under a limited print and select stores rather than at mass retail. It was a vocal and dedicated fanbase, but most of the reactions to Shulk's reveal were "welp, we all knew he was gonna happen" compared to now where Xenoblade is considered a valuable IP.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
This seems needlessly bitter when you're literally advocating for Nintendo to get hacked just because you don't like the character they included in Smash. Grow up a little.
Not really talking about horrid **** like what happened with the recent hack, merely just game datamining, although I do apologize if that part came up as rather infantile, hence why I tried to make it as clear as possible. Aside from that, I'm not even saying this over just Smash, there's tons of other games where being secretive has probably not been for the best (Pokémon Sword and Shield comes to mind). It's just better in general to be clear about details, as I'm pretty sure what happened with Byleth wouldn't have happened if the whole pass got revealed way earlier than it did; as in, rather than the random schedule from December 2019 to January 2020, they would've just shown everyone in November/December.

Also, Fire Emblem Three Houses is now the best selling game in the franchise and it was never going to sell as much as those other titles considering how big they've become and inherently more niche a massive Strategy RPG like Fire Emblem is compared to those other titles as well.
Still quite too little when franchises with way less time in the market have sold more.

Also, you're working from the assumption that Byleth was chosen solely to push sales of Three Houses which is inherently flawed in of itself considering Fire Emblem has progressively become a larger and more profitable brand for Nintendo across the board, and there are other things they're looking to such as Heroes.
I don't think that many things have been successful in sales aside from Heroes. Or at least I simply say so because I can't find numbers on concerts, expos and whatnot, which as far as I know, are all Japan-exclusive.

Not to mention they may have just wanted to put a character known on the Switch specifically in and saw Byleth as a good choice. It's a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be.
Most articles speaking about Nintendo's approach don't point out to why. We have one where Furukawa talked about bringing new crowds through Smash (which basically explains all the third-party characters), but that certainly doesn't apply to Byleth, there's that one where an employee says everyone is a must buy, which doesn't really mean anything; same for Reggie's interview. I don't expect Nintendo to reveal why they went with the characters they did, but what little there is to speculate on doesn't really suggest anything better than an attempt at advertising.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think that many things have been successful in sales aside from Heroes
They blatantly make profit.

That's a success.

Look, if Fire Emblem wasn't successful, they would stop making them.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I think China’s skeleton thing may be due to devs fearing they’ll bother people and maybe the government instead of being truly banned, at least based on what I’ve read from pages people linked in the past, idk. Minecraft is big there, though it’s blocky of course so maybe its skeletons don’t count.

osby

Smash Obsessed
As someone who likes Byleth and Incineroar this thread is becoming very sad to read.
Late reply but Byleth was one of the most hype reveals in Ultimate along with Joker for me.

I wasn't a fan of Incineroar before his announcement but its moveset and personality sold me the character.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I would go with Bio-Rex, him using Electrokinesis would be awesome.
Oooooh, Bio-Rex would be an awesome and unexpected pick for an F-Zero rep for Smash Ultimate. But then again I think that just about any F-Zero racer would make a great second fighter. I'd love to see more F-Zero reps since it's one of my favorite Nintendo series.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
They blatantly make profit.

That's a success.

Look, if Fire Emblem wasn't successful, they would stop making them.
I don't recall a FE concert or expo ever coming to America or anywhere that isn't Japan. Compare that to the Pokémon Symphonic Evolution from 2014 to 2017, a tour around different countries that probably made quite the good chunk of money.

If these things aren't leaving Japan is probably because there's still scars over FE not selling in the west until Awakening came in.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't recall a FE concert or expo ever coming to America or anywhere that isn't Japan. Compare that to the Pokémon Symphonic Evolution from 2014 to 2017, a tour around different countries that probably made quite the good chunk of money.

If these things aren't leaving Japan is probably because there's still scars over FE not selling in the west until Awakening came in.
You have the EA way of looking at things.

"It doesn't matter if our products make us a good profit. If we don't have ALL the money, it isn't worth it."

Not every series needs to be Pokemon. Not every series SHOULD be Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom