• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait, why is everyone talking about Rayman all of the sudden?
There was a recent copyright renewal thing with Rayman, and also the fact that the Ubisoft chat bot used to explicitly mention Byleth and the Ubisoft Mii costumes when you ask it about Smash, but now it gives vague responses

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wait, why is everyone talking about Rayman all of the sudden?
Here's a list of possibilities

Rayman fans are getting louder due to being tired of how hard Ubisoft's neglecting him.

Clickbait youtubers are making videos about how they changed an AI to not mention Smash anymore, likely because the comment the AI made would diss Fire Emblem and Nintendo went to Ubi and said "Get rid of that ****", the clickbait youtubers are going "DOES THIS MEAN HE'S IN SMASH?" like they do for every small thing

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It'll be hard to top Ridley's reveal.

Characters like K. Rool and Banjo felt highly unlikely sometimes, but I don't remember many people who genuinely thought it was impossible. Ridley on the other hand was said to be impossible on a regular basis. Not because he was irrelevant or because he was owned by a competitor, but rather because Sakurai himself pretty much said that Ridley wouldn't be the same character if he shrunk him down.

I know this is a poorly aged joke nowadays, but a lot of people really did believe that "he's too big" couldn't be worked around without Ridley looking weird.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
There was a recent copyright renewal thing with Rayman, and also the fact that the Ubisoft chat bot used to explicitly mention Byleth and the Ubisoft Mii costumes when you ask it about Smash, but now it gives vague responses
sounds like That mean little to nothing about smash

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Now for characters themselves in terms of want and hype.

S Tier: "EVERYONE IS HERE!",:ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:
A Tier::ultpiranha::ultsimon::ultrichter:
B Tier::snake::rosalina::4palutena::4shulk::4duckhunt::4ryu::4cloud::ultinkling:
C Tier::sonic::4charizard::4megaman::4littlemac::4pacman::4bowserjr::4bayonetta::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultken::ultincineroar::ultjoker::ulthero::ult_terry:
D Tier::4villager::4greninja::4darkpit::4lucina::4robinm::4corrin::4mewtwo::4feroy::4lucas::ultchrom::ultisabelle:
**** Tier::4wiifit::ultbyleth:

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Wait what actually changes in this version? The last one was about how excited you were seeing the trailers and this is about how excited you were when they were announced?
The way they're revealed in the trailer.

This one is for characters which I wanted from most to least.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The first list should definitely have the ARMS trailer in crap tier. At least, I'd put it there. I didn't know it was possible for a trailer to make me less hype for a character than I was before.
I wouldn't really count that as a trailer though. That was more of a teaser like what Mewtwo got.

Whatever we get in June that covers who the character is and what their movest is like is what I'd call the real trailer.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If its Spring Man, **** Tier it goes.

If someone Ribbon Girl then D Tier.

Now if say like Minmin, Twintelle, Dr. Coyle or Max Brass then either B or C Tier.

Reason Spring Man and Ribbon Girl would be low is due to playing those three months as an mystery only to go with the most obvious.

This is for reveal and reaction.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Now in terms of want and hype.

Dr. Coyle: A Tier
Max Brass: A Tier
Minmin: S Tier
Ribbon Girl: C Tier
Spring Man: D Tier
Twintelle: B Tier
What your reaction would be if Steve, Doomguy and let's say Rayman are in Super Smash Bros Ultimate ?
Only doing hype and want due to not knowing how their reveals would go.

Doom Slayer: S Tier
Rayman: B Tier
Steve: B Tier

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What your reaction would be if Steve, Doomguy and let's say Rayman are in Super Smash Bros Ultimate ?
Steve would depend on what his moveset would be. If it's a mostly sword and shield moveset then pretty underwhelming.

Doom Guy would be awesome regardless and Rayman is just meh...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd be fine with Steve making it in. Back when the DLC was first getting set up, I would have been annoyed since we were only getting one Fighters Pass by all accounts and I had wanted to see Banjo and Kazooie in Smash since the N64 days, so getting another Microsoft character would have felt like a missed opportunity. (even if I would have understood why Steve or Master Chief would be included)

With Banjo and Kazooie in Smash, I'd be fine with it. I'm not familiar enough with Minecraft to picture how he would work or what kind of music he'd bring with him (I played the beta, but I'm sure it's changed a lot since then), but there's a lot of potential for a creative moveset. The stage would undoubtedly be amazing, and all in all, I'd be interested to see what they'd do with the character.

Rayman and Doomguy are two of my most wanted, so I'd definitely be excited. Rayman seems like he's overdue (they've gotten permission to use him for two games in a row, but only included him as a collectible even though he's one of the faces of Ubisoft and Rayman Origins/Legends basically gives him an entire moveset), and while Doomguy doesn't seem as likely, I'd love to see how they could incorporate the gameplay of the Doom games (where standing still basically means that you're dead) into Smash.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The one thing regarding Rayman is that I'd assume they would've saved the Altair and Rabbids costumes to launch alongside him.

So for them to simply plop those alongside Byleth has me doubtful on him or any Ubisoft rep getting in.

Could be wrong, but I feel like that ship has sailed.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not including any of the returning characters in the "Everyone is here!" trailer. I feel like that shouldn't count since the reveals were so rapid fire and I didn't have enough time to digest each individual character's return.

S Tier: :ultridley::ultrosalina::ultmewtwo:
A Tier: :ultinkling::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultlucas::ultdarksamus::ultdaisy:
B Tier: :ultbowserjr::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultincineroar::ultgreninja::ultwiifittrainer::ultpiranha:
C Tier: :ultlittlemac::ulthero::ultjoker::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultcloud::ultryu::ultken::ultrobin::ultbanjokazooie:
D Tier: :ult_terry::ultduckhunt::ultshulk::ultroy::ultbyleth::ultlucina:
F Tier: :ultdarkpit::ultcorrin::ultchrom::ultbayonetta:

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Now in terms of want and hype.

Dr. Coyle: A Tier
Max Brass: A Tier
Minmin: S Tier
Ribbon Girl: C Tier
Spring Man: D Tier
Twintelle: B Tier

Only doing hype and want due to not knowing how their reveals would go.

Doom Slayer: S Tier
Rayman: B Tier
Steve: B Tier
Not so excited by Steve or Rayman then ?

Rayman and Doomguy are two of my most wanted, so I'd definitely be excited. Rayman seems like he's overdue (they've gotten permission to use him for two games in a row, but only included him as a collectible even though he's one of the faces of Ubisoft and Rayman Origins/Legends basically gives him an entire moveset), and while Doomguy doesn't seem as likely, I'd love to see how they could incorporate the gameplay of the Doom games (where standing still basically means that you're dead) into Smash.
For Doomguy I have several idea of how I'd work

He will have the BFG-9000, his trademark weapon the Super Shotgun and of course the chainsaw. His CAC attack would be toned down move from his Glory Kills. As one of his taunt he could have one that bring a minifigure of himself and fist bump it. Two skins available his classic skin from the early game and the 2016/eternal skin.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The problem with Zoom is that it is reeeally insecure. There's a video of a guy basically hacking into various School conferences and causing chaos. A "journalist" was fired for hacking into competitors conferences and leaking the conversations IIRC.
Well I'm just using Zoom as a catch all. I suspect Nintendo probably has their own proprietary model... which I heavily suspect is them starting up an Animal Crossing City Folk server and handing out excess stock of Wii Speaks.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Does anyone think Master Chief being revealed would top Sonic's reveal in Brawl?

Would it be the reveal that breaks the internet the most?
Maybe it would have before Banjo got revealed. But now that people already know Microsoft is working with Nintendo for Smash, it honestly wouldn't be that much of a surprise now.

Question for all of you. What's been the best Smash reveals since Brawl's:ultsnake:?
Simon.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I don't think what Sakurai feels about Halo matters that much when Nintendo picks the characters.

Also, I know a good part of Smash is influenced by Sakurai's own gaming experience but can we slow down with the "fighter selection depends on whether or not Sakurai is a fanboy of this series" line of thought? The guy's a professional and you don't become a highly respected developer in your field if you reject working on things just because it's not your personal fave.
While Nintendo picks the characters, yes, Furukawa is probably the one exec coordinating with Sakurai. With the two making sure those DLC picks work in Smash. I also wouldn't be surprised if Furukawa's the main exec who picks the DLC characters.

Question for all of you. What's been the best Smash reveals since Brawl's:ultsnake:?
Stealin' yo template and being a bit of a contrarian FTW (also since I'm a competitive nut):

Brawl Meta Knight (S+) Tier : :4cloud:----:ultsnake:
Sm4sh Sheik (A) Tier: :sonic: ----:4megaman::4ryu: / :4mewtwo::4feroy::4bayonetta:----:ulticeclimbers::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultken: / :ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie:
64 Mario (B) Tier: :dedede::diddy::lucario::lucas::wolf:----:rosalina::4shulk:----:ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer::ultwolf::ultkrool::ultincineroar: / :ulthero::ult_terry:
Melee Ganondorf (C) Tier: :olimar::ike::pt::rob::toonlink:----:4pacman::4palutena::4littlemac::4bowserjr::4darkpit::4duckhunt::4wiifit: /:4lucas: ---- :ultinkling::ultdarksamus: / :ultpiranha::ultbyleth:
Sm4sh Duck Hunt (D) Tier (or "Eh, I won't mind this character"); :4corrin::4robinm::4lucina::4greninja::4charizard::4villager::4mii:----:ultyounglink::ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultisabelle:

I'm a happy camper.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
For me it's probably Joker. He not being leaked helped a lot.
I was already ecstatic when the trailer started and I saw it was Persona related, and when the invitation letter showed up... I have never reacted in a crazy way like your usual youtuber, but Joker was completely different for me. It's hard to explain but I think that if for some reason I had decided to record myself watching the Game Awards and then upload the reaction to Youtube, I'm really sure my video would be one of the reactions to Joker's reveal with more views, lmao

This is talking about the surprise factor. If we speak about the trailer itself and how cool it was, besides Joker I'd include Simon, Terry, Palutena and K. Rool, to name a few.

osby

Smash Obsessed
While Nintendo picks the characters, yes, Furukawa is probably the one exec coordinating with Sakurai. With the two making sure those DLC picks work in Smash. I also wouldn't be surprised if Furukawa's the main exec who picks the DLC characters.
When I say "Nintendo", I usually mean "whoever picks the DLC characters in Nintendo".

While I'm sure Sakurai has a significant say in the matter, he's ultimately a third party. I doubt that characters are rejected or accepted based on whether Sakurai likes their face.

?????????????

Smash Master
I played a little Minecraft and not very much Doom, so my reaction would just be general excitement for new SSB characters/crossover.

Rayman would make me flip out as a video game hero I grew up with.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Steve: "Eh, that's cool. I know that my nephew has a new favorite character now."

Doomguy: "**** yeah, DOOM is badass and his moveset could be sick."

Rayman: "Ayyyyyy. Alright, who's the next character?"

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Now for characters themselves in terms of want and hype.

S Tier: "EVERYONE IS HERE!",:ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:
A Tier::ultpiranha::ultsimon::ultrichter:
B Tier::snake::rosalina::4palutena::4shulk::4duckhunt::4ryu::4cloud::ultinkling:
C Tier::sonic::4charizard::4megaman::4littlemac::4pacman::4bowserjr::4bayonetta::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultken::ultincineroar::ultjoker::ulthero::ult_terry:
D Tier::4villager::4greninja::4darkpit::4lucina::4robinm::4corrin::4mewtwo::4feroy::4lucas::ultchrom::ultisabelle:
**** Tier::4wiifit::ultbyleth:
Alright let's go;

SSS Tier: :diddy:
SS Tier: :ultkrool:
S Tier: :4mewtwo: "EVERYONE IS HERE" :ike::ultbanjokazooie::mewtwomelee:
A Tier::ultchrom::ultridley::wario::dedede::zerosuitsamus::metaknight::wolf::ultbyleth::toonlink::lucas::4charizard::4feroy::4lucas::ganondorfmelee::pichumelee::younglinkmelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee:
B Tier: :4lucina::4robinm::rosalina::4corrin::4palutena::4duckhunt::4bowserjr::4greninja::pit::lucario::marthmelee::falcomelee:
C Tier: :ultinkling::ultsimon::ultdarksamus::ulthero::ultincineroar::4littlemac::4shulk::4ryu::4bayonetta::4megaman::4darkpit::4villager::rob::olimar::marth:
D Tier: :icsmelee::gawmelee::drmario::snake::sonic::ultdaisy::4cloud::4wiifit:
THIS IS EXACTLY WTF I DIDN'T WANT: :4mii:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
The reveals of Terry, Joker and Hero will always be my favourites. But Richter's reveal will always have a special place in my heart.

Honestly, as a huge Castlevania fan, it was so jarring to see Richter get announced alongside Simon. I wasn't as up-to-date with leaks back then as I am now may I mind you, but I had a big hunch Simon was going to get announced. But holy ****, having a character that only starred in one game made for some niche PC Engine, that same character that was relegated to a secondary character for one the most well-known and influential Castlevania titles ever, be announced for Smash. I'm not that vocal when reacting to Smash reveals, but let's just say my neighbours probably heard me scream his name at frame 1. Richter was only really know within the Castlevania community and was only known to outsiders as that "BEGONE MONSTERS" meme. So it was very fun to see people react to his reveal with confusing faces.

I had a school exam the day I woke up to Joker being announced, I was so in shock I couldn't think straight for the entire day. Good thing I passed anyway, but I would be lying if I said it didn't have an influence on my score in some way lmao.

Hero's was just an amazing trailer all-around, from the Symphonic suite being used in the trailer itself and the buildup to the alternate costumes reveal. Right when "Adventure" hit I screamed of joy. Dragon Quest is one of my favourite JRPG series of all time.

As for Terry, despite the SNK leak, the trailer was just fanservice incarnate. I honestly feel Terry's trailer is one of the best of all time. By starting with the intro of KOF '94 and pulling multiple japes throughout the trailer, damn that stuff will make you number 1 in my book any day of the week.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
terry's reveal. just, terry's reveal. both the trailer and the character. i could go into a whole essay about the reasons and circumstances through the entirety of ultimate spec that made terry's reveal so damn magical, but basically, i think it went to the point where that night (while mainly terry's reveal, also including the announcement of more dlc and the banjo sakurai presents) reminded me why i ****ing love smash

man
what an amazing reveal

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
For Doomguy I'm really particular, it depends on his moveset and whether he's called Doomguy or not.

Rayman: "Neat. Happy for his fans."

Steve: "Guess I'll be buying the characters individually."

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
doomguy is ok

rayman is actually pretty cool, but he ain't a particular want of mine

steve is the one character, the single smash candidate where i am completely 100% neutral to his inclusion. he's the one character where i'd actually have no reaction and just shrug and move on

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Steve: About time. One of the biggest game icons and not even his franchise has made a cameo yet. Feels inevitable(for Smash in general, not necessarily this game).

Doomguy: Sweetness. I'm not sure which FPS big gun I prefer more, him or Master Chief, but they both have their own merits and would be sweet.

Rayman: To be honest, never got into the series. Would be happy for his fans though. Rabbids are my most preferred Ubisoft rep, but they finally got costumes(which should've been in Smash 4, at least, imo).

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The only western character I actively want in is Crash and as he has been got by thousands bullets I guess it's these. I don't really have any attachment to the characters aside from a bit of legends and doom 64 with a few hours on ND but individually, Steve could have the most fun moveset wise so there is that, rayman i'd be happy for the fans of but Doom Guy i'd be pleasantly surprised as the general consensus is that he is deconfirmed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom