• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

After seeing this:
I have a good feeling that if we get another first party character, it's a good chance Burton, and Berecca (supposed main characters from Ninjala), can be a fair contender for DLC.

From what I've seen gameplaywise, I think they're alright, but I'd be disappointed they got in instead of Elma or other first party choices.
How does everyone else feel about them, and there chances for DLC?
Ninjala is owned by GunHo Online and not Nintendo, so they wouldn't be 1st Party.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
After seeing this:
I have a good feeling that if we get another first party character, it's a good chance Burton, and Berecca (supposed main characters from Ninjala), can be a fair contender for DLC.

From what I've seen gameplaywise, I think they're alright, but I'd be disappointed they got in instead of Elma or other first party choices.
I still can't get over that when Burton gets turned into a child, the first thing he does to "confirm" it, because apparently the mirror just wasn't enough, is look under his pants.

But anyway, I'd be pretty down with a Ninjala rep. Obviously the game ain't even out yet, but from what I've seen of the gameplay, it looks pretty damn fun.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
To get some discussions rolling in here, how about I ask the thread a question?

Since Three Houses and ARMS have a character in Smash, there's a decent chance that another Switch game (first-party) will get a character too. Which games and which characters from those games do you expect? If you don't expect any Switch games to get a character, explain why.
An ARMS character and Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 were both specified as having been considered for base game, but didn't make it due to timing issues. With ARMS now getting a character (with Sakurai even personally apologizing to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fans when the Mii Fighter costume was revealed), I wouldn't be surprised if Rex is now also back on the table.

As for other games... depends. Most of the ones I can think of like Astral Chain and Ring Fit Adventure have been indirectly "deconfirmed" through Spirit Board Events. I could see one of them getting a character, but that assumes that even post-release DLC Spirits don't truly deconfirm, and I think it might even require a similar situation to Byleth (the character being considered and chosen before their game was released due to Sakurai having access to an early version of their game).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I kind of doubt it considering how little we've seen from this game. I can't even find a full match of it. From what I have seen (I did manage to find a demonstration for an earlier build), I don't think they'll translate to Super Smash Bros. all that well.

It seems like the game revolves around charging up bubbles, then using them to summon weapons, fire the bubble as a projectile, and do this tornado thing (but I don't really know how that works at all). There are a few problems with this:
  • If an opponent hits a your bubble, it will pop on you, trapping you in gum for a few seconds. This essentially means you won't be able to charge your bubble unless your opponent is recovering, or had just been KOed because otherwise they'll just smack your huge hitbox.
  • The weapons vary on size depending on the size of the bubble: small & fast, but weaker, balanced, and big and slow, but powerful. There's a high chance that the small one will be the best by far, and the other sizes only used for KOing (if the larger one can even be used at all since the opponent has to let you have it in the first place, and slow usually equals bad).
Of course, I'm probably jumping the gun here, and I'm not averse to a Ninjaja character, but I don't think we'll see one for these reasons.

Ninjala is owned by GunHo Online and not Nintendo, so they wouldn't be 1st Party.
Oh so 0% chance then...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I kind of doubt it considering how little we've seen from this game. I can't even find a full match of it. From what I have seen (I did manage to find a demonstration for an earlier build), I don't think they'll translate to Super Smash Bros. all that well.

It seems like the game revolves around charging up bubbles, then using them to summon weapons, fire the bubble as a projectile, and do this tornado thing (but I don't really know how that works at all). There are a few problems with this:
  • If an opponent hits a your bubble, it will pop on you, trapping you in gum for a few seconds. This essentially means you won't be able to charge your bubble unless your opponent is recovering, or had just been KOed because otherwise they'll just smack your huge hitbox.
  • The weapons vary on size depending on the size of the bubble: small & fast, but weaker, balanced, and big and slow, but powerful. There's a high chance that the small one will be the best by far, and the other sizes only used for KOing (if the larger one can even be used at all since the opponent has to let you have it in the first place, and slow usually equals bad).
Of course, I'm probably jumping the gun here, and I'm not averse to a Ninjaja character, but I don't think we'll see one for these reasons.

Oh so 0% chance then...
Why? Is something wrong with GunHo Online?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm tempted to point out Terry, but I know he at least has a legacy, so I won't.
It's also not that low-profile in South America, whereas Ninjala hasn't even released yet, and has so little marketing that I thought the Mini Direct was it's public debut.

EDIT: YouTube does seem to favor it as far as recommendations go, but there's not even all that many videos to watch on it, and some of the ones that do exist are duplicates.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't GungHo also have Travis?

Regardless, I doubt either a Ninjala rep or Travis are getting in.
Yeah, NMH is split between Grasshopper Manufacture & Marvelous Entertainment, and Grasshopper is a subsidiary of GungHo.

I think Travis has more of a chance than a Ninjala rep because of his history with Nintendo in the Wii era in addition to NMH3 on the way, but I agree that his company being a smaller 3rd-party company is a significant hurdle. I'd love to see him in (he gives off major Deadpool energy and I think that would be a fun addition), but I think that's the biggest hurdle for him.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
who the **** is gungho and why does he hate travis touchdown

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Since Three Houses and ARMS have a character in Smash, there's a decent chance that another Switch game (first-party) will get a character too. Which games and which characters from those games do you expect? If you don't expect any Switch games to get a character, explain why.
Maybe Captain Toad/Toadette?

Don't really see anyone else.

Why? Is something wrong with GunHo Online?
No but, why would Nintendo put in a 3P character from a brand new franchise they have no idea if anyone will like or care about yet?

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I do not think the existing ARMS spirits deconfirm those characters. The 5 we did get are the most popular ones as well, so it would be silly to omit them as viable options when Sakurai and team can just alter the spirit name or make that Spirit be the concept secondary to the smash render of the character they chose.

Same thing with the AT - we have seen them work around it and disable Knuckles and Allicard based on the stage and we know that our boy Toon Link has Alphonso step in for him when he joins the battle on Spirit Tracks (so we have seen toggles based on at/stages/fighters already).

they also probably had no idea when working on the base game that they were going to have the opportunity to put an arms character in the game later on down the line, so it just about cleaning up the existing in game material a bit to make it work.

Whatever we do see as a result of the new character In terms of spirits/ATs, I think the ARMS Rep is the exception and NOT the rule - meaning just because they did it once Doesn’t mean they will do it again and isn’t a guarantee that Isaac, Bomberman and WaLuigi would be Updated in the game. We would just know that Sakurai and team have the tools to make it possible (and they don’t have to act on it again).

To those that think the ARMs Rep will consist of multiple fighters instead of a single one (via alternate costumes) - would you be upset if that wasn’t the case and we just got one?

DetectiveSS

Smash Cadet
The thing with fan rules is that it’s a case of “guilty until proven innocent” or “innocent until proven guilty.” As in, do you believe that things like assists should be treated as deconfirmations until something disproves that? Or, perhaps, do you believe that everything is still on the table until it’s proven that they’re not? Neither one is more “correct” than the other when it comes to speculation. As long as nothing is proven, there’s an argument to be made for either side.

Didn’t think an ARMS rep would be the thing to end this, but it probably will.

andree123

Smash Ace
After seeing this:

So far, I am seeing more to having the Ninjala spirits instead of a fighter from Ninjala.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I kind of hope we get another Terry situation because I'd like to feel that unnecessary elitist pride again if I happen to know who said character is and other people don't.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I feel like the fact that they're treating the AT and Spirit characters just the same as anyone else and giving every ARMS character an equal chance at being the character HAS to mean something.
Every ARMS character isn't given an equal chance, they're giving an illusion that everyone has an equal chance by not saying who it is.
It's going to come down to just two characters.
Either Springman since he's the face of the series, or most likely Min Min since she won the last tournament capped of support for the game.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Other characters have a chance, guys, not just springy boi or min min.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Other characters have a chance, guys, not just springy boi or min min.
I mean sure, a chance, but to be honest not much of one. If it isn’t the face of the franchise, Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, or one of the most mote popular characters, Min Min or Ninjara, then who is it going to be?

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I mean sure, a chance, but to be honest not much of one. If it isn’t the face of the franchise, Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, or one of the most mote popular characters, Min Min or Ninjara, then who is it going to be?
Well, we got odd choices like y'know, the plant....

Also, any of the characters would work.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, we got odd choices like y'know, the plant....

Also, any of the characters would work.
Piranha Plant wasn't our first Mario character nor it was picked by Nintendo.

Unusual characters get in Smash all the time but there wasn't an instance where a random character picked over main/most popular character as the first rep of a franchise just because.

Like, what would Nintendo gain from not adding the more obvious characters?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
After seeing this:

Why do Splatoon, Arms and this all have the same weird candy-like asthetic?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The thing with fan rules is that it’s a case of “guilty until proven innocent” or “innocent until proven guilty.” As in, do you believe that things like assists should be treated as deconfirmations until something disproves that? Or, perhaps, do you believe that everything is still on the table until it’s proven that they’re not? Neither one is more “correct” than the other when it comes to speculation. As long as nothing is proven, there’s an argument to be made for either side.

Didn’t think an ARMS rep would be the thing to end this, but it probably will.
Too many people treat speculation seriously to fit whatever personal goals, vendettas, or need for attention that they may have (trolling), when at the end of the day speculation is just another word for educated guessing.

I think you'll be more likely to see people believe that content that is already included makes it less likely for such content to be made playable; which is a plenty reasonable viewpoint that shouldn't be taken as an attack on a character you support. Likewise, there are plenty of counterpoints to be made as well, that shouldn't be taken as pushing an agenda.
  • Spirits can edited (names/Masked Man sprite)
  • Background elements can be edited (Links/Dedede/Shadow Moses/New Donk City/Mementos/KoF Stadium)
  • Mewtwo/Lucas Trophies in Smash 3DS/Wii U (granted Ultimate's DLC seems to be more structured and planned out)
  • Assist Trophies/Pokemon/Items can be selectively edited for stages
  • Robin's Final Smash vs. Chrom
  • Ghosts Assist Trophy/Pac Man's moveset on Pac-Maze
Part of me wants Assist Trophies/Spirits to no longer de-confirm, there are several who I believe could work well as playable characters. On the other, it would take more fun out of speculation than support threads.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You do have a point, but why bothering doing the guessing thing in that case?
Because we can still try and determine which characters (or their combinations) are more likely. We don't know how many characters we'll get. We don't know if Spring Man AT means anything. We don't know if Min Min's popularity means anything, etc.

Just because there are different possibilities doesn't mean all of them are probable.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Just because there are different possibilities doesn't mean all of them are probable.
I'm just giving my two cents on this, I want an character that I think fit Smash pretty well, plus, i love Captain falcon so...

Koopaul

Smash Champion
All the ARMS characters don't even stand the same way. For example, Ninjara is crouched down when stands and moves. People keep suggesting that these characters can all be alts but never actually played the game long enough to notice that every character moves and animates differently. Seeing a Ninjara stand up and run like Spring Man would look weird as hell.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm just giving my two cents on this, I want a character that I think fit Smash pretty well, plus, I love Captain falcon so...
My bad, I wasn't trying to discourage you from supporting a character you like.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
To get some discussions rolling in here, how about I ask the thread a question?

Xenoblade 2, for sure. When an ARMS rep was confirmed Rex & Pyra shot up to the top of my expected list.

I think as far as Switch games go, Star Allies, Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad (if ports count) are the other ones I'd look at. Sword/Shield, Ring Fit Adventure, Astral Chain and New Horizons are all DOA, and sadly I don't think Snipperclips and Sushi Striker are going to get the same kind of treatment.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I think Rex & Pyra are by far the most likely additions in the Fighters Pass. The fact that Sakurai went out of his way to say he would've included them if not for bad timing says a lot. He also said similar things about an Arms rep. Seems like a very obvious choice right now.

That is unless Xenoblade Chronicles X2 is secretly being developed and Nintendo would rather promote Elma, but that seems very dubious to me at the moment, although I'd be ok with either Elma or Rex & Pyra. Haven't played the Xenoblade series, but from what I've seen both would be deserving additions.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think Rex & Pyra are by far the most likely additions in the Fighters Pass. The fact that Sakurai went out of his way to say he would've included them if not for bad timing says a lot. He also said similar things about an Arms rep. Seems like a very obvious choice right now.

That is unless Xenoblade Chronicles X2 is secretly being developed and Nintendo would rather promote Elma, but that seems very dubious to me at the moment, although I'd be ok with either Elma or Rex & Pyra. Haven't played the Xenoblade series, but from what I've seen both would be deserving additions.
Keep in mind that Nintendo is choosing the DLC, and Sakurai said that ARMS was a special request (whatever that means). He seems more plausible than before, but I still think he has his fair share of hurdles to overcome.

That being said, I will at least admit that I think he has a better shot than anyone from the other Xenoblade games.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I thought he meant it was a request from the developers of ARMS.
Maybe. He keeps reminding us that Nintendo chose the DLC and that he has little say on the matter, but saying an ARMS character was a "special request" implies that someone asked him to add a character in a way that was different from the previous five.

Sometimes it's hard to understand what Sakurai means, and I often feel like he tries to be ambiguous on purpose.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
It's not unlikely that when Nintendo offered Sakurai the offer to make an Arms character, it was just a generic Arms rep, and only after he talked to the developers about it, did the developers nudge him into a specific direction.

I remember Sakurai discussed how he def had input on what "Heroes" made it into the Dragon Quest representation, so it's highly possible that this will repeat again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom