• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Iirc Tharja's outfit would be rather practical for her home as she lives in a desert area, I ****ing despise her character and everything she stands for, but the outfit makes sense in context like how Mythra and Nia's second outfit fits her despite how I hate the latter XB2 example
Not really. Wearing something like that in the desert is just asking for a sunburn.

There already is a superior XC2 redesign out there, it's called the Mythra spirit in Smash Bros. :secretkpop:
And there's already a superior Pyra design out there. It's called Minerva from Fire Emblem Marth's Games DS.

SKX31

Smash Master
I was going to point out that the male designs tend to be much better, like Dromarch, Wulfric, and Percival, but then I remember Roc and the stupid bags around his neck.

Also Gorg.
Hey, that design only needed him saying "My oiled abs quiver at your voice!" and we'd go full anime.

I'm of the opinion that if XBC2 has so many ridicolous female designs it should also have a lot of ridicolous male designs. If only to be consistent. (and also I might be a little bi) (seriously though the ridicolous designs are often uncomfortably ridicolous)

If y’all want a REAL bad design look at Materia from Dissidia NT

Just... why
Someone really loved gearpunk too much.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hey don’t be hating on my JoJo fish boi :c
Well I find him to be quite useful if it makes you feel any better. He's a heck of a lot better than Percival since Rex's other Blades are Pyra/Mythra and Roc.

Roc isn't male.
To be fair Roc isn’t female either...

p sure Roc is implied to be non-binary and I am all for this
Looking into it, I've seen a claim that Roc is referred to using male pronouns but I couldn't find any examples of this. They all just used his name. Roc does seem to be genderless in-universe, and hilariously, his gender is "4" according to the game's files.

Can we talk about games we think have good character design instead?
ARMS. Spring Man and Springtron are the only boring ones, and that's more of a biproduct of the design goal of making him the basic and easy to understand one.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
You're really that guy, huh?

It's litteraly one scene in the whole game for a comedic scene and this expression is never seen again.

Also, lots of anime that aren't shonen or low budget use this kind of expression for lighter moment, I don't get your point with that.

I could go on, but you haven't played the game, so I'm not going to bother with that, or this topic for the rest of the day.

I'm out.
I was being harsh. Yes, lots of anime use that expression, but it looks cheap when overlaid on 3d cg, and it's annoying when super deformed art is used in anime that takes itself seriously. I'm not interested in playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 if this is an indication of the tone of the game.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
God I wish I was as passionate for anything as some of you guys are for hating Xenoblade 2. Anyway, does anyone think we're getting more Mario content in Smash amidst all those rumors? All I expect is a spirit event or two, there aren't any Mario characters I'd expect Nintendo to request. Best timeline is getting Fire Mario.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
God I wish I was as passionate for anything as some of you guys are for hating Xenoblade 2. Anyway, does anyone think we're getting more Mario content in Smash amidst all those rumors? All I expect is a spirit event or two, there aren't any Mario characters I'd expect Nintendo to request. Best timeline is getting Fire Mario.
Paper Mario pls.

Though I'd unironically be interested in a 'mario 2' with a moveset actually based on his games in a lot less vague a way than how he is now.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Luigi’s Mansion 3 Spirit event?

RIP Gooigi tho

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Anyway, does anyone think we're getting more Mario content in Smash amidst all those rumors? All I expect is a spirit event or two, there aren't any Mario characters I'd expect Nintendo to request. Best timeline is getting Fire Mario.
Not a specific prediction, but I'm reminded of the character that Nintendo used to show off the Smash Ballot during the Direct that revealed it.

It was Cat Mario. Something tells me that they expected this power-up to be more world shakingly-popular than it ended up being.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Not a specific prediction, but I'm reminded of the character that Nintendo used to show off the Smash Ballot during the Direct that revealed it.

It was Cat Mario. Something tells me that they expected this power-up to be more world shakingly-popular than it ended up being.
Don't underestimate the big fans of Meow Meow Mario

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Smash is simple. SFV is simple. BBTag is simple. The difference is that ARMS only has 3 options. Left punch, right punch and grab. Every other fighting game gives you more options with a single button.
ever hear of divekick? the indie made fighting game that the fighting game community had a fieldday with years back? no, fighting games do not have to be complex nor do they need to give you multiple mechanics.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Not Smash related but with those rumors of Mario getting some remaster and new game for his 35th anniversary, I hope next year we'll see some Zelda and Metroid remaster because 2021 will be both franchises 35th anniversary. It would be cool to have some classic Zelda and Metroid on switch and I love Mario, but I wish Nintendo would acknowledge more game anniversary than only Mario, Pokémon and Luigi.
honestly, those are all probably april fools day things. It took me until now to realize it lol.

SKX31

Smash Master
Was meaning to post this earlier. Still, this warrants mentioning:

While sales figures for China aren’t available, tens of thousands of Animal Crossing: New Horizons game cartridges have been sold on e-commerce platform Taobao, and many more have undoubtedly been purchased from the Nintendo Game Store and downloaded directly onto Switch consoles.

On Chinese microblogging platform Weibo, an Animal Crossing: New Horizons hashtag has been viewed over 820 million times*, with many young people lamenting that they feel like the last ones on Earth who haven’t bought the game.

“Everyone was playing it, so I wanted to see how good it is,” says Li Yachao, a 34-year-old Beijing-based office clerk who purchased the game three days ago. Li tells Sixth Tone that many of her friends bought a Nintendo Switch just to play Animal Crossing.

A unique feature of the game is the ability to import user-generated digital graphics into one’s personalized island. Within days, some gamers in China had painted their islands a figurative shade of red, adding portraits of communist icons like Karl Marx and Chairman Mao, as well as loud propaganda posters. Consistent with the current zeitgeist, some players have added disease control checkpoints and decontamination areas, or signs in Chinese instructing characters to “please wash your hands.”

Screenshots from Animal Crossing: New Horizons. From Weibo

Players have outfitted their virtual residences with traditional Chinese decor and furniture, and dressed their in-game characters with hanfu and fancy outfits from China’s most popular period dramas. Widely shared screenshots show one island with huge QR codes printed across them for sending the player money via Alipay or WeChat [both being ubiqoutous money-sending mobile apps], while another island featured realistic-looking fruit business advertisements.
*[Do take this figure with a grain of salt, but needless to say AC's doing really well regardless.]

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Okay, so if ARMS doesn't qualify as a fighting game, what exactly do we classify it as? Platformer? RPG? Party? Racing? Perhaps it qualifies as a puzzle game?

Two or more characters exchange blows in a stage with limited space under a time limit as they try to K.O. their opponents and win. If that doesn't qualify as fighting, I don't know what else we should call it.
seeing members of the smash community unironically try to exclude other games from the category of '"fighting game" is a new low. even for this thread.

even more than the "Lara croft is not an iconic character" lows

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
seeing members of the smash community unironically try to exclude other games from the category of '"fighting game" is a new low. even for this thread.

Who tried to unironically argue that Lara Croft wasn't iconic lmao

On the subject of ARMS, though -- I hope Nintendo makes a fleshed out game based on Wii Sports Resort Swordfighting like how ARMS is a fleshed out Wii Sports Boxing.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Ok but if the design changes when he dives anyway, why do they have to keep the thunderthigh+short shorts combo? The bulk of the rest of the suit balances it out, but his default design that you have to see 99% of the time just looks stupid.
He's not changing design, he's just have part of the suit removed because I can only assume that wearing the entire thing would retain a lot of heat and be uncomfortable for a long period of time. For Rex salvaging his is entire life, so he keep part of the diving suit on so he can salvage where ever he go without needing to take a long time to gear up.
Also it's more like you see that default design about 70% of the time since he does get a different design after Chapter 7.

I.D.

Smash Lord

To be fair it was mostly one user, just a particularly opinionated one.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
That stuff about XB2 sounds hardcore though... Is it really all that bad with the sexualisation of that game? I could see where that would bug with fans of the franchise if that never happened before.
Na, it's really tame when compare to others games. Sure there as some blades with lewd designs, but the sexualisation is very minimal. Heck, they added swimsuit to the game for each character as DLC they're not the obvious fan service outfits like many other JRPGs have.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
He's not changing design, he's just have part of the suit removed because I can only assume that wearing the entire thing would retain a lot of heat and be uncomfortable for a long period of time. For Rex salvaging his is entire life, so he keep part of the diving suit on so he can salvage where ever he go without needing to take a long time to gear up.
Also it's more like you see that default design about 70% of the time since he does get a different design after Chapter 7.
Repeat my post about the in-world reasoning for a design not making it good.

Quiet breathing through her skin in MGSV does not make her being naked 24/7 not stupid.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

I always thought Cat Mario was used so that Nintendo couldn’t be accused of showing bias towards one particular character or series. If they chose someone actually popular or noteworthy it might have caused people to think they had already chosen the character in advance, or that they were trying to sway fans to vote for that character. No one took Meow Meow Mario seriously, which seemed intentional.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If we get another Mario character, it won't be because of these re-releases.

Was meaning to post this earlier. Still, this warrants mentioning:

*[Do take this figure with a grain of salt, but needless to say AC's doing really well regardless.]
AC is already huge, and with the current situation affecting things, the numbers it's going to move will be terrifying.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'd say an ARMS character is a fighting game rep, it's just that it's not in the same vain as a traditional fighting game as Street Fighter or Fatal Fury. Video game genres all have tons of diversity, like how Mario and Mega Man are different types of platformers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Man, if we do wanna go obscure for a moment, you know who I'd love to see make the jump to playable? Muddy Mole.

Mole Mania is a wonderful little puzzle game and for a Miyamoto-made game, it doesn't get a lot of discussion...probably because it came out shortly before Pokémon so it was doomed to obscurity. Muddy has a spirit but man, getting the soundtrack from that game would be great. Like just imagine a full remix of the Forest theme.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Na, it's really tame when compare to others games. Sure there as some blades with lewd designs, but the sexualisation is very minimal. Heck, they added swimsuit to the game for each character as DLC they're not the obvious fan service outfits like many other JRPGs have.
If you consider 2 to be tame, then I honestly don't want to know what you consider extreme in terms of sexualization.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I'd say an ARMS character is a fighting game rep, it's just that it's not in the same vain as a traditional fighting game as Street Fighter or Fatal Fury. Video game genres all have tons of diversity, like how Mario and Mega Man are different types of platformers.
Fighting game rep -- but not FGC rep. Fighting game is a genre, FGC is an audience to appeal to, which an ARMS character doesn't. I'm not worried about the ARMS rep 'taking up the fighting game slot' because I'm 100% certain Nintendo knows the people who play ARMS are not the same audience who play GG/Tekken/etc.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
I feel like a LOT of series got the shaft in terms of music in Ultimate. I mean, look how the just blatantly ignored DKCTF. One of the best video game soundtracks to ever exist is just blatantly ignored for more jungle hijinx. I think its safe to say Sakurai just has bad taste in music.
theres a cost to everything. sure everyone is here. but not everyone is complete (or functional).

Goombaic

Smash Ace
If we get another Mario character, it won't be because of these re-releases.
That's the logic I'm following. Waluigi and Toad are popular requests, but not big enough for Nintendo to advertise the remasters.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
theres a cost to everything. sure everyone is here. but not everyone is complete (or functional).
*cough cough* koopalings *cough cough cough*

That's the logic I'm following. Waluigi and Toad are popular requests, but not big enough for Nintendo to advertise the remasters.
or really related to any of those mario games enough...

Watch we don't get any Luigi Mansion spirits and said Mario character is King Boo.
I would absolutely love that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom