• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

I'm just a man, you don't have to ruin my entire internet career.
It's OK, you weren't the only one.

Or maybe...now hear me out here...there was never a Direct planned for tomorrow, and fake leakers are full of **** like always.
Go home Jeff your drunk.
AND THEN TOMORROW AND THEN TOMORROW, AND TOMORROW...
View attachment 267027
How is this dude still confident? If it happens this will be the greatest rugpull in Nintendo history.
Not counting on it. I think he and people are setting themselves for disappointment.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it'll be Min Min.

On top of being one of the most popular characters from the series, and also winning the huge Party Crash battle royale;
- She's a female character which is something Smash DLC has lacked so far
- Her special ability is probably the easiest to implement and most optimal from a Smash standpoint (stocking a charge which puts emphasis on the mechanic of charging up her ARMS)
- Most ARMS characters have to get around the hurdle that they only attack with their ARMS, but canonically Min Min is a mixed martial arts fighter who also incorporates regular kicks in her moveset, giving her a leg up (pun intended) in overall moveset versatility. We don't have many leg-based fighters either.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Female Byleth: Am I a joke to you?
Personally, I still consider Byleth to be another male character because the male version is ultimately who they'll push as the face of Byleth going forward, just like male Corrin. Female Byleth is technically just an alt.

If they had chosen female Byleth to be the main variant like they did with WFT and Inkling, then I would've counted her as a female rep.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I am 100% convinced on the Bayo glitch, and it being Twintelle. Both characters have the ability to slow down time and use their hair.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I only want another Xenoblade character in smash because I want Black tar as a music track in this game.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Can the mods change the poll of this thread to ask us who the ARMS character could be?

I think we're long past Byleth at this stage.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Say I also heard about a Ness glitch. It would have to be related to FP7 though

can anyone find that Ness glitch in action and who could it be?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it'll be Min Min.

On top of being one of the most popular characters from the series, and also winning the huge Party Crash battle royale;
- She's a female character which is something Smash DLC has lacked so far
- Her special ability is probably the easiest to implement and most optimal from a Smash standpoint (stocking a charge which puts emphasis on the mechanic of charging up her ARMS)
- Most ARMS characters have to get around the hurdle that they only attack with their ARMS, but canonically Min Min is a mixed martial arts fighter who also incorporates regular kicks in her moveset, giving her a leg up (pun intended) in overall moveset versatility. We don't have many leg-based fighters either.
- But that just means female characters aren't prioritized.
- We don't even know if they're gonna implement special abilities.
- A lot of characters use kicks one way or another, though. And we know that characters can only fight with just punches or kicks in Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Heh, odd, I got a dejavu feeling that ARMS was revealed before when they showed that screenshot of the list of characters and a yellow background, quite silly...

Anyway, whoever was sad the other day that ARMS never got any songs in Smash, you got your wish now.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Woke up two and a half hours ago and saw we're getting an ARMS character as FP6. Not a bad choice, considering the characters in the game have plenty of moveset potential. Believe the Nintendo VS account tweeted something about ARMS recently iirc. At least it's a break from the characters who are usually speculated. I was thinking we'd get an ARMS character in the next Smash game, but I never thought we'd get a rep as a DLC fighter in Ultimate, let alone the first character in the second pass. Although I did suspect the pass opener would be a character who not many talked about up until today.

All fifteen playable characters in ARMS have a chance to be playable. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Five of them (Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min, and Twintelle) are already present in Ultimate, one being an assist trophy and two of them (including the aforementioned assist trophy) having Mii Costumes), though that doesn't rule out any of them as of right now. If any of the five ARMS characters already present in the game is indeed the next character, then a good chunk of fan rules will be broken and certain highly requested characters would be back on the table.

Going by the assumption that it's an ARMS character who isn't in Ultimate in any form, I'll just throw out a guess and say it's either Max Brass or Dr. Coyle, though it could be anyone from that game's roster since Nintendo chose the characters. And speaking of the roster, since I haven't played ARMS, I do have a question for those who have played the game: How different do each of the characters play from each other, out of curiosity?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You were the first one I saw is all.

If it makes you feel better, I'll add the rest of them to the original post.
I was joking bro

Can the mods change the poll of this thread to ask us who the ARMS character could be?

I think we're long past Byleth at this stage.
Yeah its been a few good months since the last poll

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I see this situation has exploded the board and brought out both sides, so here's my take:

There's no question that the ARMS announcement narrows things down a LOT, but way too many people are jumping the gun by speculating about characters who are ATs/Spirits again, and jumping the gun again on the other side of the argument.
Because here's the thing: There are enough characters in ARMS who aren't either to make a Fighter and have enough leftover for a Spirit Board, So no so-called 'fan rules' have been debunked YET. Come June, we will know definitively know the answer to that question.

Here's how I see the situation:
IF the Fighter is a character who is in the game already, THEN we can say Spirits could be back in consideration.
BUT if the Fighter is NOT in the game already, then we know Spirits/ATs are not being considered.
Either way, ARMS will shut this debate down once and for all.

Me personally? I'm of the leaning that Spirits are a hard no, so my money's one either Master Mummy, Max Brass or Dr. Coyle. Coming from someone who hasn't played the game, one of those three seem like they'd be next in line. I do not think, however, that they'll do an echo/alt, because even though I haven't played ARMS, I can tell the special abilities are way too unique for that. Plus, they've already said no Echo Fighters when FP1 was announced.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Just realized that the ARMS character is gonna be announced on the same month as the third anniversary for ARMS. I don't know if this thread already realized that, I just wanted to point it out.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Bayo glitch? What's the lore behind this?
The lore being Bayo model glitching up after she doesn't a certain move in a certain frame I believe. Plus her being use as a base model for some DLC character currently being worked on. Similar to the Duck Hunt crashing Multi Man Smash theory in where people believed the reason Duck Hunt was crashing Multi Man Smash was because he was being use as a base for Banjo & Kazooie.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Just realized that the ARMS character is gonna be announced on the same month as the third anniversary for ARMS. I don't know if this thread already realized that, I just wanted to point it out.
And both Splatoon and ARMS (the newest two 1st Party series to get in Smash) are in similar situations where we get knowledge of that series getting a playable rep in March but we don't actually get to see gameplay until June.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's not much chance of them doing this (and within ARMS there's not really any justification for it), but I'd love to see a Pokemon Trainer esque transformation mechanic that would allow for multiple characters from the game to play as. Being able to switch from Twintelle to Helix to Min Min, etc would be pretty cool.

Then again, I think I want that just so for the chance lob the lame insult of "Huh, and here I thought the only clown in Smash was Lola Pop" towards my friends.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Saying we'll get Max Brass or Dr. Coyle is like saying our first character from Street Fighter would be Zangief or M. Bison.

If your viable choices begin with Zangief and Bison, we probably just wouldn't get a SF character. If we're only getting one character (as in, not a multi-character), they're going to take from the top. The only question is who they consider to be at the top.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Hey y'all, returning from a few months hiatus to say I'm pretty pleased with an Arms character coming in this DLC pack. I don't own Arms and have never played it, but always felt it had a pretty unique and interesting art style and idea behind it. To be honest, I felt it was a bit surprising there wasn't an Arms character in the base game.

As always, I'm happy to get a rep from a new game to increase the crossover nature of Smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
How different do each of the characters play from each other, out of curiosity?
They're all pretty different. Ribbon Girl has multiple jumps, Min Min can kick to deflect punches, Twintelle slows down time, Helix can stretch his body to avoid attacks, and Master Mummy can heal over time.

That's only a few of the characters, but all of their gimmicks would add something interesting to a moveset that will undoubtedly focus on long range attacks.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Ok, speculation time! So, we know Spring Man is the main character in ARMS, and Ribbon Girl is the secondary main character. We know Sakurai usually adds the protagonist of a series first before anyone else from said series. But here's the thing, though. Spring Man is already an Assist, and both he and Ribbon Girl are spirits. Spirits and Assists are known to be "deconfirmations" of a given character, so here's what I think. The character will not only break the rules and ignore the Assist and Spirit "rule", but we'll also get more than one character.

That's right, Fighter's Pass 6 will be multiple characters in one. Spring Man as the default skin, Ribbon Girl as skin 2, Ninjara as skin 3, and Min Min as skin 4. The remaining 4 will be skins of those 4 based on other characters from ARMS, much like Hero's skins. This way, you have the 4 most notable characters from ARMS, a perfect balance of 2 girls and 2 boys, and the 4 of these characters all have almost identical proportions, much like the Heroes, meaning they could easily be the same character. All 4 of them can share moves that may have been exclusive to on of them before, for example all of them could use Min Min's mid-air kicks.

I feel this is the best way to represent ARMS, as it's not just about one character, but the whole cast of interesting and unique characters. To my knowledge, most characters share the same gameplay style but with slight, character-exclusive abilities so it would feel natural enough to include 4 characters in one.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Saying we'll get Max Brass or Dr. Coyle is like saying our first character from Street Fighter would be Zangief or M. Bison.

If your viable choices begin with Zangief and Bison, we probably just wouldn't get a SF character. If we're only getting one character (as in, not a multi-character), they're going to take from the top. The only question is who they consider to be at the top.
Reason people assumes this though is given Spring Man being an assist and Ribbon Girl and Mii costume assuming they don't deconfirm which we probably won't know until June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom