• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The music is one of the reasons I support Kiryu getting into smash.

No matter what he's guaranteed good music because like most Sega IP's the music is a big highlight of the series with mostly good and memorable tracks

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Gotta say, I think music is one of the larger selling points of DLC characters.

I wish Cloud could have gotten more music. It's absolute robbery that we couldn't get Bombing Mission, One Winged Angel, and other tracks. To be completely honest, I'm mostly saying this because the new versions of the songs from the remake are absolutely amazing, and it just serves as a reminder of the sadness of their absence in Smash.
The music is absolutely one of the most impressive aspects of Smash, and it clearly goes so far above and beyond what anyone would've expected out of it had we not been spoiled by the last few games, but I don't know if it really is a "selling point". Or, the main selling point, I should say. I understand what you mean, when you want to hear songs again and play on a stage you might otherwise not have just for the sake of it, but I don't think many people are actually buying the characters based on the music (or the stage) rather than just... the character. I think it's more a factor that brings people back over one that actually moves the character.

I mean, if every character came with a Cloud amount of music, that'd be a real shame, but I still expect they'd all sell almost indistinguishably close to what they would've otherwise. Not to mention, the music is the only part we don't actually need to pay for to indulge in.

That said, I did buy Sans solely for Megalovania, but on the other hand, I'm comfortable spending 99 cents for that song. Six bucks, not so much.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
As great as Smash's music is, I'd much rather have a character that's fun and interesting who comes with a lacklustre sound track than a generic character with some amazing songs.

It sucks that Final Fantasy has only two songs and Dragon Quest is restricted to low-quality midis, but it's worth it to get Cloud and Hero in the game.

I honestly think most people buy the challenge packs exclusively for the character. It's nice that the challenger packs come with a stage, music, and spirits, but it's supplementary relative to the character. After all, people were willing to buy Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy in Smash Wii U/3DS and they didn't bring any additional content. Hell, Corrin only came with themselves and two versions of the same song, but no one really seemed to mind.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Ive seen a lot of talk recently about spirit upgrades, mostly surrounding the usual Geno, Waluigi, Shantae, Rayman etc. But one character I think would be really cool is Raiden from MGS. Even better if he brings the Metal Gear Rising soundtrack with him. Not very likely unless by an act of divine intervention Konami, Platinum, Nintendo and Sakurai are all in some kahoots to put him in to advertise a switch exclusive MGR2, but we cant have nice things like that can we?:4dk:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
The music is one of the reasons I support Kiryu getting into smash.

No matter what he's guaranteed good music because like most Sega IP's the music is a big highlight of the series with mostly good and memorable tracks
Yakuza has a plethora of such good music it’s going to be hard to narrow it down unless they go crazy like SNK.

either way give me Kuze’s theme.

Ive seen a lot of talk recently about spirit upgrades, mostly surrounding the usual Geno, Waluigi, Shantae, Rayman etc. But one character I think would be really cool is Raiden from MGS. Even better if he brings the Metal Gear Rising soundtrack with him. Not very likely unless by an act of divine intervention Konami, Platinum, Nintendo and Sakurai are all in some kahoots to put him in to advertise a switch exclusive MGR2, but we cant have nice things like that can we?:4dk:
I’m sad we didn’t get any Metal Gear Rising music, Rules of Nature would have been so hype to fight to.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The music is absolutely one of the most impressive aspects of Smash, and it clearly goes so far above and beyond what anyone would've expected out of it had we not been spoiled by the last few games, but I don't know if it really is a "selling point". Or, the main selling point, I should say. I understand what you mean, when you want to hear songs again and play on a stage you might otherwise not have just for the sake of it, but I don't think many people are actually buying the characters based on the music (or the stage) rather than just... the character. I think it's more a factor that brings people back over one that actually moves the character.

I mean, if every character came with a Cloud amount of music, that'd be a real shame, but I still expect they'd all sell almost indistinguishably close to what they would've otherwise. Not to mention, the music is the only part we don't actually need to pay for to indulge in.

That said, I did buy Sans solely for Megalovania, but on the other hand, I'm comfortable spending 99 cents for that song. Six bucks, not so much.
To be completely fair, I more or less spoke at least from my own perspective. I’ve found excellent tracks from every pack, but the main draw of every Pack is most obvious: being able to play as a new character.

I basically worded it poorly. I wouldn’t say it’s a main selling point of the packs for everybody, but man does the music have me going back to the same stages.

Getting a handful of characters bringing particular tracks with them...you better believe I’d be jamming on a DMC stage with Devil Trigger, or even Ace Attorney has some jams that could come with it. I guess I see the music included as, well, underrated.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yakuza has a plethora of such good music it’s going to be hard to narrow it down unless they go crazy like SNK.

either way give me Kuze’s theme.

I’m sad we didn’t get any Metal Gear Rising music, Rules of Nature would have been so hype to fight to.
Yakuza 0 has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard in a game. Not gonna lie.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'd imagine they would make a travelling stage like Delfino Plaza. They'd just take the map from GTA 5's Los Santos and go from there.
  • Start off on the Vinewood sign at Vinewood hills.
  • The platform flies down to Rockford Hills where fighters have to watch for oncoming traffic from every side.
  • Then it stops at Downtown Los Santos where the traffic becomes even faster!
  • Making it's way to Vespucci Beach where you see people cheering on the fighters. You can see Del Perro pier off in the distance...
  • ... Where it makes it's final stop, full of stuff to watch for like ferris wheels and rollercoasters before heading back to the Vinewood sign.
Then the battlefield and omega forms can be the Vinewood sign transformed into a platform as it flies all over Los Santos.

On the music side of things, GTA 5 does have an original soundtrack where they play for every single mission, some like Trevor Philips industries, Long Stretch and Minor Turbulence are pretty good instrumental songs that they could use for Smash bros.

Damn it, now I made myself want Trevor Philips now!
The Long Stretch is an amazing track and should be in Smash asap

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I think I've mentioned this before, but I really don't like the whole "Smash Bubble" argument. To me it just sounds like another term for "vocal minority" that people use to denegrate frequently requested characters. I also hate this idea that casuals either can't or don't have somewhat similar tastes in characters. Like, how the hell would you know what this nebulous group wants? I dunno, it all just seems very ill-defined to me.
You're right, I can't know that. There are no hard numbers anywhere, and even Youtube views does not imply engagement. For all I know, the nebulous group that is the casuals Smash community would be just as ecstatic over Geno as some of the core fanbase (though it's delusional to think there wouldn't be a lot of "literally who" reactions as well).

All that said, I don't think the Smash bubble ends there. There's absolutely a contingent of the fanbase that is outright hostile to popular characters, pretending like they aren't important to gaming history (or maybe genuinely believing that). You saw it with Hero and Terry, while simultaneously praising Banjo who is the very definition of a "Smash bubble" pick.

And that's even before we get into the rift between the Smash community and the rest of the FGC, though that's so big that it might not even be fair to call it a bubble anymore.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think I've mentioned this before, but I really don't like the whole "Smash Bubble" argument. To me it just sounds like another term for "vocal minority" that people use to denegrate frequently requested characters. I also hate this idea that casuals either can't or don't have somewhat similar tastes in characters. Like, how the hell would you know what this nebulous group wants? I dunno, it all just seems very ill-defined to me.
Invoking the "Smash bubble" argument is meant to rectify any misguided claims about the stature or lack thereof of characters who don't resonate as vastly as only looking within the narrow, vocal, online audience would suggest. It's meant to dispel myopia.

Now I won't argue that it's probably not always used properly, but often, and at its core, it's a valid tenet.

It's also not that difficult to figure out who would and probably wouldn't resonate among a larger audience. It's the characters prominent enough that people with a more cursory knowledge of Nintendo or whose gaming interest skews more broadly would be familiar with. And the smaller the character/series, the less likely they are to spark recognition among an average Smash player.

Last edited:

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Of course they could do that, but what about songs like those on Head Radio/Lips 106/The Lab, or other radio songs that are GTA originals (IE: Fist Fury, Liberty City: The Invasion, Change of Coast.)

Ideally, I'd want the song list to be something like:
  • Electronic Go-Go*
  • GTA Vice City theme
  • Fist Fury*
  • La Vida Es Una Lenteja*
  • GTA San Andreas theme
  • Soviet Connection
  • Minor Turbulence
  • Change of Coast*
  • Nine Is God*
  • What's Next?*
  • Garbage*
  • Sleepwalking*
*these being some of the GTA originals on the radio I was talking about
I would also add these to the list
GTA Vice City Stories - Vice Squad
GTA Liberty City Stories - Dark March
GTA V - Welcome To Los Santos
GTA Chinatown Wars - Chinatown Wars
GTA Advance Theme

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Minor nitpick, but Blue Dragon's actually a Microsoft/Mistwalker IP, it was made by FF creator Hironobu Sakaguchi though.
Weren't there DS games? Or is it a similar situation to Banjo getting GBA games early on for post buy-out Rare?

Though yeah, it's surprisingly not a Square title, even though I keep thinking it is.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Minor nitpick, but Blue Dragon's actually a Microsoft/Mistwalker IP, it was made by FF creator Hironobu Sakaguchi though.
Oh. My bad. To be fair, I remember all kinds of Dragon Ball-like designs, so I associated with Square-Enix. Whoops.

Well, at the very least, you can tell the design style, heh.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If they removed the stages and music and only tried to sell us solely on the characters themselves, I'd probably have less reason to purchase the DLC outside of having a complete css, no offence.
Even if I don't personally enjoy a certain DLC character, I always see myself going back to have fun with the new stages and especially music that has been added to the game.

I didn't really care too much about Terry's inclusion, but his stage and song list are still a real joy to get back to.

But that's just me...

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Snash's music selection is pretty amazing. I was ok when Byleth came out but I wasn't estactic about it. However the songs they came with were dang good and it gave me a better impression on the dlc overall.

Now if I got a certain attorney's music in, I think that would be the majority of the songs I would listen to in Smash.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
If I were to pick a rep solely based on music I'd probably go with Doomguy (The selection from both classic Doom and Mick Gordon's soundtracks is metal as hell and also awesome) or a Dark Souls rep (dat boss music. Bonus points if we got something from Bloodborne)

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Oh. My bad. To be fair, I remember all kinds of Dragon Ball-like designs, so I associated with Square-Enix. Whoops.

Well, at the very least, you can tell the design style, heh.
Well, Akira Toriyama was the character designer, so I can see getting it, Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest confused. I've literally never heard anyone call it a Square property though.

Speaking of though, can you imagine having The Seal Is Broken, Nene's Paradise or Eternity in Smash? Those tracks would be awesome.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
After they released Kino-kun spirits I'm not feeling confident on their chances but I'd really love Billy and Jimmy Lee from Double Dragon to both represent the side-scrolling beat-em-up and because their theme is jammin'

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
Like.. Shu from Blue Dragon?
I never played the original on Xbox, but I played the first sequel on DS and I actually liked it a lot (I know the original is far better). And I watched the anime too years ago when it came out.

His chances are probably the lowest possible, but I'll be okay with Shu's inclusion, not gonna lie!

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I even consider "healthy" to be the understatement of the year. All Doom games are on the Switch. ALL OF THEM*. Even the spec-beast that is Doom Eternal is coming to Nintendo, and apparently they're doing a darn good job at it. They even brought back Doom 64 thinking about Nintendo fans, even if it ended up on all consoles. *Ok, not the Doom RPG for mobile, nor Tiger Handheld thing that it probably had
They got all the games that matter on the Switch. That's the important part.

The Long Stretch is an amazing track and should be in Smash asap
Yes! This guy knows whats good! If we can't get a GTA character, We should at least get a premium mii costume with that music track. It could work with Wrecking Crew.

What would your reaction be if this ended up being the next newcomer?
I'D GIVE IT A RESOUNDING... meh...

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
After they released Kino-kun spirits I'm not feeling confident on their chances but I'd really love Billy and Jimmy Lee from Double Dragon to both represent the side-scrolling beat-em-up and because their theme is jammin'

Yeah, if Sol isn't the ArcSys rep (which I strongly believe there will be, given the RCR spirits), I'm hoping/betting it's the Lee brothers.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
It's called epicaricacy, or to use the German term, schadenfreude.
More like being a massive jerk. I don’t think what you want is okay and I don’t get what you want from it. Wanting a fandom upset is toxic behaviour.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I consider the "Smash bubble" to be people that are constantly plugged into Smash news online, which will always represent a fraction of the actual playerbase for massive games like this. The people even mildly active in the speculation scene across all social media likely doesn't even reach half a million, and that's being generous. By this point, Smash Ultimate should be at 18 million sales, meaning 500k wouldn't even represent 3% of the playerbase. It's a big bubble, but a bubble nonetheless.

The question is what percentage of that bubble is buying/paying attention to the DLC. I would assume more than half of that 18 million had no intention of spending more money once they already had the game, but that doesn't mean the always online smash bubble is where the bulk of the DLC sales are coming from. It's unfortunately impossible to know without Nintendo releasing the numbers.
To an extent, I do believe that smash DLC is aimed at the hardcore smash audience -- I have two brothers, who are 10 and 13 years old (basically the 'general audience' for a smash game), and the only Ultimate DLC they had even heard of before they were announced for smash was Banjo -- and they only knew him from Jontron videos.

The hardcore smash fanbase are the ones who will hype up characters, basically marketing the game for free, as well as being the most likely to spend the most money on the game.

That said, I think Geno getting in as DLC is a stretch. Each of the Fighter Pass 1 characters had their own fanbase that overlapped with that of Smash -- Banjo in particular -- but Geno really only has his Smash following. Other characters that were really only opoular in the Smash speculation circles (looking at K Rool in particular) were added in the base game, as Nintendo likely didn't trust the character to make their money back as a DLC based on just the hardcore Smash speculation fanbase.

Even so, I can see Geno being the hypothatical 'sixth fighter' (it seems wierd to me that the two season passes have different character counts), pretty much made to fill out the rest of the budget and time that the Smash team had left in the calendar after the other 5 characters were done (IMO there's probably not a better character to have as the last Smash DLC, given he's the last of the 'big three' (K rool, Banjo, Geno) to not be added) -- but that's unlikely.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Time for a new 'you get to create a fighter pass but...' post.

You get to create a Fighter Pass but only out of characters that have fought current smash characters on Death Battle. (you can choose if non video game characters are aloud).

Here's my go:

1) Dante (Fought Bayonetta)
2) Knuckles (Fought Donkey Kong)
3) Scorpion (Fought Ryu)
4) Greymon (Fought Charizard)
5) Dracula (Fought Ganon)
6) Sora (Fought Pit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom