• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
She doesn't really have anything in particular from New Horizons as is. It's just a general AC moveset as is with only Amiibo Festival specifically have assets used. She branched off of Villager directly. Otherwise, just New Leaf stuff. She really has no basis from NH beyond being announced at the same time.

Albeit, yeah, she's promoting NH too, but not through the "moveset", just her existence only. And that was more good timing to announce her than anything else.

Tom Nook being used directly to represent NH would be entirely different from promoting alone. Different situations, really. Being he's huge in the game, while Isabelle is barely there, he wouldn't be a bad announcement either. He retook the spotlight, after all.
Are the AC movesets even 'from' the AC games? AC has no combat mechanics, so I don't see anything we're missing out on by not having a third rep from AC specifically, given that any fighting mechanics an AC character has are entirely invented for Smash,

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Are the AC movesets even 'from' the AC games? AC has no combat mechanics, so I don't see anything we're missing out on by not having a third rep from AC specifically, given that any fighting mechanics an AC character has are entirely invented for Smash,
Yes, they're from the games. They're literally items and abilities straight from them being reused to make it combat-like. You're able to chop a tree down.

Like, the closest at most would be running with a pot and maybe the turnips, along with the Gyroid usage. Isabelle erecting a sign post is pretty much how things get built. They just pop up. She literally does swing her cute rubber hammer in Amiibo Festival. She does throw a Fishing Rod which catches things. You can literally swing your Net to hit people on the head and catch bugs. It makes sense as a throw. The Slingshot only fires upwards... but could theoretically fire in any direction and it still knocks down stuff due to its impact. Of course it's going to hurt.

It's not highly made up at all and barely modified in most cases. It's one of the most simplified translations in Smash we have. If you want actual examples of how oddly they did, Fox is way more made up and he still uses specials based around the Arwing(Laser is a given, his Up B and Side B are similar to the Boost. His Down B is a combination of the Silver Ring and Barrel Roll, which reflects stuff. The thing is that only his Laser is a very simple translation. Side B is new and added later, despite the same type of ability, while his Up B works very differently. His Down B isn't remotely close to how the Barrel Roll works. If he spun around while starting the Reflector, it'd be way more accurate).

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's not highly made up at all and barely modified in most cases.
No, it IS highly modified, in that, it's a bunch of actions that shouldn't be able to hurt someone at all, that totally hurt people in Smash.

"Oh gee, I just got exploded across the map by a party popper."

I mean, yeah, you literally CAN turn anything into a moveset when you take absolutely ANY action, and make it hurt people if they come into contact with it.

"Here I am, reading this newspaper. OH NO! NEWSPAPER SMASH!!"

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Yes, they're from the games. They're literally items and abilities straight from them being reused to make it combat-like. You're able to chop a tree down.

Like, the closest at most would be running with a pot and maybe the turnips, along with the Gyroid usage. Isabelle erecting a sign post is pretty much how things get built. They just pop up. She literally does swing her cute rubber hammer in Amiibo Festival. She does throw a Fishing Rod which catches things. You can literally swing your Net to hit people on the head and catch bugs. It makes sense as a throw. The Slingshot only fires upwards... but could theoretically fire in any direction and it still knocks down stuff due to its impact. Of course it's going to hurt.

It's not highly made up at all and barely modified in most cases. It's one of the most simplified translations in Smash we have. If you want actual examples of how oddly they did, Fox is way more made up and he still uses specials based around the Arwing(Laser is a given, his Up B and Side B are similar to the Boost. His Down B is a combination of the Silver Ring and Barrel Roll, which reflects stuff. The thing is that only his Laser is a very simple translation. Side B is new and added later, despite the same type of ability, while his Up B works very differently. His Down B isn't remotely close to how the Barrel Roll works. If he spun around while starting the Reflector, it'd be way more accurate).
I'm not exactly clamoring for another Starfox rep either here -- I'm asking what the specific justification is for adding a character who generally just sits at a desk to promote AC:NH when we literally already got a desk-sitter to promote that specific game (Villager was to promote New Leaf, Isabelle was to promote New Horizons).

D

Deleted member

Tom Nook for Smash Ultimate will only sell me if he throws money at people. I want him to style on us working class shmucks who's indebted to him like he does in Animal Crossing. If he can't do that, what is the point?

Last edited by a moderator:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
No, it IS highly modified, in that, it's a bunch of actions that shouldn't be able to hurt someone at all, that totally hurt people in Smash.

I mean, yeah, you literally CAN turn anything into a moveset when you take absolutely ANY action, and make it hurt people if they come into contact with it.

Isabelle: Hi fighter, let's do our best but first let me show you this wonderful pot I got as a gift.

*Runs*

Whoops!

*Trip, pot hits enemies knocks them into blast zone*

Isabelle: Whoops clumsy me I'm sor- h-hey where'd you go? Are you mad at me?

I play Isabelle here and there, but her moveset always makes me laugh with how accidental/convenient it is.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Yeah, that doesn't sound highly modified to me. That sounds like slightly reusing it in a logical manner for a fighting game.

Try playing AC more. You can actually attack people with some items. I mentioned the Net above for a good reason. It's a good way to get people to leave by getting them pissed off. I don't know where people got this insane idea you can't actually attack characters in the game, but you were able to since the Gamecube game(and apparently the N64 JP game, since it was literally the GC game just with lower polygons). Yes, the series has a peaceful-like setting, but you can actually be somewhat violent(just not bloody at all). Do remember the actual Animal Crossing movie got pretty dark, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't even a fan movie, but an official one. Albeit, very different from the series, but the series overall isn't actually treated as completely innocent at all. It never really was. It's just aimed more towards it, but has always had some hidden darkness.

Try using a party popper near somebody. You can actually hurt people with these things. Did you really think a newspaper doesn't hurt if you smack someone with it? None of these are illogical and they translated it pretty damn well, really. As I noted, and gave good examples, very little was actually modified. The net is only slightly changed to be able to catch people instead of bugs, Gyroids don't fly, you can't really aim the Slingshot in other directions, and you can't run with a pot. That's... it that I can think of. Fishing Rod is used as accurately as you can get in the settings. It'd be pretty pointless if all you could do is pick up a random fish, which also means you need to make a ton of unique items. It works perfectly as a tether grab and a command grab as is.

I'm not exactly clamoring for another Starfox rep either here -- I'm asking what the specific justification is for adding a character who generally just sits at a desk to promote AC:NH when we literally already got a desk-sitter to promote that specific game (Villager was to promote New Leaf, Isabelle was to promote New Horizons).
Villager was a full-out AC rep, not really to promote New Leaf in particular. He's literally the franchise representative. Isabelle was used to promote NH, but it doesn't mean she actually represents it. They're completely different things.

And Isabelle barely was promoting NH. That was Nook the entire time taking over to promote it. Her announcement was smart timing(as her own trailer was not as exciting specifically either in the way others were. It's still hype, but not action-packed), because if people didn't feel super hyped up entirely, a new AC game would also help. It's promotional timing in a more unique way than directly promoting a game(which, well, Nook took the spotlight for NH pretty much entirely. Isabelle's appearance is a cameo at the end of the latest direct. I'm hoping she appears way more in the game than is implied, but it looks like it might not be the case).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Isabelle: Hi fighter, let's do our best but first let me show you this wonderful pot I got as a gift.

*Runs*

Whoops!

Isabelle: Whoops clumsy me I'm sor- h-hey where'd you go? Are you mad at me

I play Isabelle here and there, but her moveset always make me laugh with how accidental/convenient it is.
It's like that one Spongebob joke with the pie.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Tom Nook for Smash Ultimate will only sell me if he throws money at people. I want him to style on us working class shmucks who's indebted to him like he does in Animal Crossing. If he can't do that, what is the point?
I can’t see Tom Nook throwing money away like that.

However I can see Nook smacking people with fully loaded bags of bells, beating you to death with money.
FD88A4EB-9A48-4D21-95A6-0C75B89484B8.png

D

Deleted member

Also if we wanna get really into it, Tom Nook for DLC is pretty dead in the water imo. His main gimmick, which is building your house for money, is already implemented into Villager's and Isabelle's final smash. He flat out states he's gonna be busy building the resort island while Isabelle and Villager are fighting in Smash. The fact that Isabelle was revealed along with New Horizons is proof she was meant to advertise it rather than Nook, which eliminates the main motivator for Nintendo to put him in.

He's just not happening.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Did someone say Tom Nook as a potential Smash character?

Honestly... yeah he should, as well as have a Final Smash where his opponents are KO'd through the power of debt alone.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So...significantly modified?
No, slightly modified. I stand by what I said.

Animal Crossing is by far one of the least modified series I've seen overall, among those that were modified. Not even half the moves needed significant changes, just barely different.

Also, considering he ignored literally all the context as a tiny amount of moves gathered any significant modification, he isn't providing any good points here. I already listed the actual highly modified moves. What, 4? Out of over 20? That's not exactly a ton of big changes. This isn't Fox or Falcon territory at all. It's a pretty close design to the games and represents it pretty accurately with most of the moves as is.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Try using a party popper near somebody. You can actually hurt people with these things. Did you really think a newspaper doesn't hurt if you smack someone with it?
Oh yeah? Do they BLAST PEOPLE OVER THE ****ING HORIZON?

You can make the argument that the actions themselves aren't very modified, but the results of those actions are absolutely drastically modified.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Animal Crossing is by far one of the least modified series I've seen overall, among those that were modified. Not even half the moves needed significant changes, just barely different.
Except taking moves that weren't used for combat and making them combat moves is a VERY significant modification, especially considering the closest thing to violence in Animal Crossing is, like...getting stung by a bee. If anything it's one of the franchises that needed the most alterations to fit into Smash...so much so that in Brawl, Sakurai decided that their non-combativeness was reason enough to keep them off the roster.

Requiring changes isn't a demerit by any means so I don't see the point in pretending these alterations didn't happen.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

*Runs*

Whoops!

Isabelle: Whoops clumsy me I'm sor- h-hey where'd you go? Are you mad at me?

I play Isabelle here and there, but her moveset always make me laugh with how accidental/convenient it is.
Isabelles move set is basically just Villagers moves

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Any Animal Crossing character could work in Smash. I don't think anyone here would actually argue, "No way Tom Nook would work in Smash. He's not like Isabelle, who clearly had a full moveset mapped out for her from the very beginning."

Should Tom Nook get in Smash, it's anyone's guess as to how he'll turn out. Sakurai could go the Star Fox route and make three characters who are very similar to one another but not quite clones, or he could once again get creative and make something that's nothing like Villager or Isabelle. Either scenario could happen, and I don't think there's really any way to argue one being more likely than the other.

D

Deleted member

I really can't understand how this moveset thing is even a debate. The entire point of Smash is about taking these non-fighting game video game characters and forcing them to work in a fighting game environment. It's why fighting game characters aren't as compromised when added, like Ryu and Terry keeping their command inputs.

Look at Mario :ultmario:. Literally the only moves in his original games that naturally fit a fighting game are his fireballs and Super Mario 64 jabs. While his cape, fludd, and super jump were all implemented into his moveset, they were never designed to be used in the context of Smash.

A third of the cast aren't even playable in their own games for christ sake. In this specific case, Isabelle :ultisabelle: being a playable character in of itself modifies her utility in Animal Crossing. Tom Nook would fall under this wagon too.

Why is this even a debate? Smash inherently modifies characters to fit into it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Except taking moves that weren't used for combat and making them combat moves is a VERY significant modification, especially considering the closest thing to violence in Animal Crossing is, like...getting stung by a bee. If anything it's one of the franchises that needed the most alterations to fit into Smash...so much so that in Brawl, Sakurai decided that their non-combativeness was reason enough to keep them off the roster.

Requiring changes isn't a demerit by any means so I don't see the point in pretending these alterations didn't happen.
Doesn't make sense to me. That's not what I'd ever call significant changes.

And no, you can violently hit people over the head with the net. This actually hurts them. I'll always call that violent because it's 100% treated as it.

AC always had violence. It's just light cartoony versions.

Oh yeah? Do they BLAST PEOPLE OVER THE ****ING HORIZON?

You can make the argument that the actions themselves aren't very modified, but the results of those actions are absolutely drastically modified.
I wasn't talking about the results to begin with. Just they're not modified that much bar less than 10% of the moves.

I really can't understand how this moveset thing is even a debate. The entire point of Smash is about taking these non-fighting game video game characters and forcing them to work in a fighting game environment. It's why fighting game characters aren't as compromised when added, like Ryu and Terry keeping their command inputs.

Look at Mario :ultmario:. Literally the only moves in his original games that naturally fit a fighting game are his fireballs and Super Mario 64 jabs. While his cap, fludd, and super jump were all implemented into his moveset, they were never designed to be used in the context of Smash.

A third of the cast isn't even ****ing playable in their own games for christ sake. In this specific, Isabelle :ultisabelle: being a playable character in of itself modifies her utility in Animal Crossing.

Why is this even a debate? Smash inherently modifies characters to fit into it.
Yeah, she felt weird to add as a fighter, but she actually does take action in Amiibo Festival, the only reason I could even imagine her working in Smash. And they did take from that game, making her feel like she's treating things like a game, completely fixing the issue with her non-violent tendencies. It's more odd because she actually is a pacifist in Smash's own design from her first appearance. But regardless, she had the lucky factor of Villager existing to branch off of, since she was never there to even represent AC in general. Just an easy mascot who was highly popular to add. She was added into other games, ignoring her more pacifistic tendencies, too. Mario Kart was a good move, since it was party-based. She only actually didn't fit in Monster Hunter, which is a highly violent game. Smash she works cause it's party-based.

It's the reason why if only one AC character exists, it's going to be Villager. He/she's the franchise representative. Being the mascot(which Isabelle is being pushed out by Nook again lately) isn't enough. Representing the core gameplay helps more. He was chosen before Tom Nook for that exact reason. If he couldn't beat him/her as the core representative, Isabelle has no chance either. Nothing changed in that regard. Though first come-first serve is also highly important too. Ease of creation has its point. Hence, PT never stood a chance anyway. Pikachu is odd too, since the intro suggested he had a trainer(just wasn't in the bg) and came out of a Pokeball. Only reason it reasonably represented Pokemon well, since the Trainer is technically there. Not as well done as PT, as a concept, but the Trainer and Pokemon is the core gameplay of Pokemon. Without it, Pikachu just had a working moveset from the anime, but other than that, really didn't represent Pokemon all that well beyond that.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Something interesting they could do with Tom Nook is a mechanic where as he attacks enemies coins or bells fall to the ground that he can collect and then mid stock upgrade his weapons to be harder hitting and longer reaching. It would be a new mechanic ad bring back coin battle via a character’s move set.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Something interesting they could do with Tom Nook is a mechanic where as he attacks enemies coins or bells fall to the ground that he can collect and then mid stock upgrade his weapons to be harder hitting and longer reaching. It would be a new mechanic ad bring back coin battle via a character’s move set.
Oooh, I like that. I like upgradeable/level up movesets a lot. They really change it up. Albeit, it takes extra work to do due to the various attack changes. Maybe it could only work for certain moves. Lucario took a long time to complete, the only real example of a level up character, for this reason alone. From the developer talk they gave, he did take a year to complete, but it was very very difficult to do so.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, she felt weird to add as a fighter, but she actually does take action in Amiibo Festival, the only reason I could even imagine her working in Smash. And they did take from that game, making her feel like she's treating things like a game, completely fixing the issue with her non-violent tendencies. It's more odd because she actually is a pacifist in Smash's own design from her first appearance. But regardless, she had the lucky factor of Villager existing to branch off of, since she was never there to even represent AC in general. Just an easy mascot who was highly popular to add. She was added into other games, ignoring her more pacifistic tendencies, too. Mario Kart was a good move, since it was party-based. She only actually didn't fit in Monster Hunter, which is a highly violent game. Smash she works cause it's party-based.

It's the reason why if only one AC character exists, it's going to be Villager. He/she's the franchise representative. Being the mascot(which Isabelle is being pushed out by Nook again lately) isn't enough. Representing the core gameplay helps more. He was chosen before Tom Nook for that exact reason. If he couldn't beat him/her as the core representative, Isabelle has no chance either. Nothing changed in that regard. Though first come-first serve is also highly important too. Ease of creation has its point. Hence, PT never stood a chance anyway. Pikachu is odd too, since the intro suggested he had a trainer(just wasn't in the bg) and came out of a Pokeball. Only reason it reasonably represented Pokemon well, since the Trainer is technically there. Not as well done as PT, as a concept, but the Trainer and Pokemon is the core gameplay of Pokemon. Without it, Pikachu just had a working moveset from the anime, but other than that, really didn't represent Pokemon all that well beyond that.
What are you saying to me? My point was that Smash inherently modifies characters to fit into it. It's not Death Battle where we take these characters at their strongest and them pit 'em against each other. That would just be bad game design. You have to modify them and their inherent purpose and utility in order to add them into a 2d fighting game.

If anything, you prove my point by referencing her addition to Mario Kart 8 and how it shoves her into a racing vehicle and completely neglects Isabelle as a pacifist.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
wasn't expecting to ever read "animal crossing fits easily into smash because it already has violence in it" but hey every day's a new adventure

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What are you saying to me? My point was that Smash inherently modifies characters to fit into it. It's not Death Battle where we take these characters at their strongest and them pit 'em against each other. That would just be bad game design. You have to modify them and their inherent purpose and utility in order to add them into a 2d fighting game.

If anything, you prove my point by referencing her addition to Mario Kart 8 and how it shoves her into a racing vehicle and completely neglects Isabelle as a pacifist.
Nobody said they didn't get modified at all.

Animal Crossing characters I'm hard saying were not modified that much outside of a tiny slew of moves being highly changed up. Disagree if you want and all, but please don't misconstrue my argument entirely.

Mario Kart I'd say is even more modified than Smash, to be honest. And for the record, I always felt she was kind of odd in MK too, but at least it wasn't hyper violent, so it wasn't that big of a deal. It also fit her personality proven in Amiibo Festival anyway(an actual Animal Crossing game), so it didn't come off nearly as odd. The only thing about MK is it's a terrible example of her canon self being okay with violence anyway. AF on the other hand fixed that perception. But it's only cause she thinks it's Party Violence, and not meant to seriously hurt people(even though she really does), so it doesn't go against her pacifistic personality. Hell, her actual moves sometimes come off as "accidental" at times. They really captured her personality correctly in these games(Monster Hunter aside, a rather poor and completely ridiculous addition that took promoting too far entirely).

D

Deleted member

wasn't expecting to ever read "animal crossing fits easily into smash because it already has violence in it" but hey every day's a new adventure
"In the New Horizons DLC, you can build colosseums on your island. Sit back and enjoy your favorite villagers slaughtering each other for your temporary amusement."

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
"In the New Horizons DLC, you can build colloseums on your island. Sit back and enjoy your favorite villagers brutally slaughtering each other for your temporary amusement."
tom nook sits atop his throne of skulls and watches the primal, forgotten bloodlust of the animal kingdom retake control over their carefully-maintained society

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I remember when I played AC a long time ago, the DS one to be precise. I didn't save by mistake, so you can imagine my surprise when Resetti came to my home with a shotgun.

Animal Crossing is serious stuff, I tell ya.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, I forgot the answer the female thing. For me...

coveredbestmpa.png

Note I'd make it transparent, but of course the program is being dumb and cutting out tons of non-white stuff. -_-

Beyond Impa, I do like Krystal, Morrigan Aensland, Sveta(Golden Sun), Chun Li, Cammy White. I admit there's not a lot that suddenly come to mind for me that I actually want in Smash. I'm sure I can think of more given time.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Since It’s international Women’s day, who is your most wanted female character for Smash?
Just Blaze Fielding and Joanna Dark. Not many girl characters really catch my attention as most are almost always portrayed the same way. These two get lucky from being from games I hold dear to me.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Weren't there DS games? Or is it a similar situation to Banjo getting GBA games early on for post buy-out Rare?

Though yeah, it's surprisingly not a Square title, even though I keep thinking it is.
Oh. My bad. To be fair, I remember all kinds of Dragon Ball-like designs, so I associated with Square-Enix. Whoops.

Well, at the very least, you can tell the design style, heh.
Yeah, I believe it's a similar situation to the Banjo GBA games. It was an IP Microsoft used to get a leg up in Japan, but they allowed Blue Dragon to be on the DS because they didn't have a portable system to compete with and it gave the IP more exposure.

And you'd be forgiven for mistaking it as an Square Enix IP. Between Sakaguchi creating it, Uematsu doing the music, and Toriyama doing the designs it had a number of similarities to SE's two biggest IPs as well as one of its cult classics.

Since It’s international Women’s day, who is your most wanted female character for Smash?
Elma or Amaterasu.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
To everyone saying Animal Crossing isn't violent, clearly you haven't gotten to the part of New Horizons where you rise up against your corporate overlords, swordfight with Tom Nook to the death for ownership of the island, and begin militarizing to start your conquest across the seven seas.

D

Deleted member

To everyone saying Animal Crossing isn't violent, clearly you haven't gotten to the part of New Horizons where you rise up against your corporate overlords, swordfight with Tom Nook to the death for ownership of the island, and begin militarizing to start your conquest across the seven seas.
Man. This season finale looks nuts. Wonder if it continues in the manga.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Man. This season finale looks nuts. Wonder if it continues in the manga.
IMO, manga hasn't been that good since Punished Isabelle arc. Seeing her pocket Scoot's 100% Ultra+ Jabroni Blast and throw it back with no effort just because she trained under Doom Marine for a week was so stupid. So glad the anime just skipped that fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom