• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Smash doesn't do win quotes. And they ain't gonna start.
Aside from the Star Fox, Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem characters that have unique win quotes for certain characters.

We've also had DLC characters break other trends on the victory screen, like Cloud and most notably Joker.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So I missed this entire discussion, but I just want to chime in and say that I am also bored of fire being the go to element/magic type that every character has access too. I get that it is generally easier to imagine, and likely more common among characters in general regardless of Smash inclusion, but it's just so boring to me. Especially with Pokemon. Which is why I would be so over another fire starter being chosen. Fire is just overrepped even beyond Pokemon (and admittedly I'm no the biggest fan of fire types in general).

Give me more ice magic. Or earth (I'm looking at you Isaac). Or wind. Or really just anything but more fire.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would actually argue the Season 1 picks weren’t even that “niche” overall. That idea seems to be pushed more because it favors particular characters over others, but it also suggests these particular games/series are niche based on arbitrary measurements.

:ultjoker:: Persona 5 is one of a handful of mainstream hits, making Joker something of a modern gaming icon. He now crosses over with plenty of different games. He’s more or less lined up with major modern characters like Geralt (Witcher 3), 2B (NieR Automata) Tracer (Overwatch) and others.

:ulthero:: Dragon Quest is anything but niche. Grand dad of JRPGs as we know them, is major in Japan. Not necessarily an unknown in the west like some folks make it out to be.

:ultbanjokazooie:: Arguably the smaller and older of the picks in the pass, Banjo-Kazooie benefitted from longtime attention to the series on Xbox platforms (moreso wanting them back on Nintendo) and the constant fan attention placed on them since the ballot days with Phil Spencer.

:ult_terry:: I don’t know as much about KoF and Fatal Fury ( Flyboy Flyboy would be great at that), but Terry isn’t this unbelievably niche character either. SNK has constantly had a presence on Nintendo consoles in terms of virtual console too.

:ultbyleth:: Not really a “niche” pick, but a Nintendo advertisement pick which we’ve seen before. Hard to tell if we’ll get another one or even who that would be considering our knowledge of Nintendo’s lineup this upcoming year.

In terms of sales? Sure, maybe some of these characters are “niche”. Within context though, I don’t think it’s that black and white when looked at individually.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Aside from the Star Fox, Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem characters that have unique win quotes for certain characters.

We've also had DLC characters break other trends on the victory screen, like Cloud and most notably Joker.
I still hate how this wasn't expanded on in Ultimate.

It's just a cool idea for Smash and they just dropped it after a couple characters. It's so weird.

Sonic to Mario
Ken to Ryu
Ryu to Ken
Terry to Ken
Ritcher to Simon

All of these should have happened.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Wasn’t Banjo and Kazooie a top ten all-time N64 character? His first game was a blockbuster

blackghost

Smash Champion
I still hate how this wasn't expanded on in Ultimate.

It's just a cool idea for Smash and they just dropped it after a couple characters. It's so weird.

Sonic to Mario
Ken to Ryu
Ryu to Ken
Terry to Ken
Ritcher to Simon

All of these should have happened.
these are the kinds of things games do for fanservice. smash doesn't have to do them because the entire rest of the game is fanservice. im not saying its right or wrong but thats the reality.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
If Nintendo could really behind Byleth, why not a new Zelda character? I mean it's one of the biggest franchises for Nintendo. I just know there's gonna be one or two major first party picks. And they'll be more surprising than Byleth, who was obvious in hindsight.
Zelda has a few problems when it comes to newcomers.
Fire Emblem changes protagonist each game, with Zelda that is far from the case since Link will pretty much always be the protagonist. While its only the none-playable secondary characters that brand new characters and would be luckly if they are recurring. So as a result we all have of the mainstay Zelda characters being Link, Zelda, and Ganon.
Secondly Zelda fans have no where near backed a single character like with Metroid fans with Ridley or DK fans of K Rool. I think if most if not all Zelda fans back one character and have no debate they would have a much better chance.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
This was a really old discussion, but I’m still angry there’s no way to get the Persona 5 Scramble remix of Last Surprise in smash

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would actually argue the Season 1 picks weren’t even that “niche” overall. That idea seems to be pushed more because it favors particular characters over others, but it also suggests these particular games/series are niche based on arbitrary measurements.

:ultjoker:: Persona 5 is one of a handful of mainstream hits, making Joker something of a modern gaming icon. He now crosses over with plenty of different games. He’s more or less lined up with major modern characters like Geralt (Witcher 3), 2B (NieR Automata) Tracer (Overwatch) and others.

:ulthero:: Dragon Quest is anything but niche. Grand dad of JRPGs as we know them, is major in Japan. Not necessarily an unknown in the west like some folks make it out to be.

:ultbanjokazooie:: Arguably the smaller and older of the picks in the pass, Banjo-Kazooie benefitted from longtime attention to the series on Xbox platforms (moreso wanting them back on Nintendo) and the constant fan attention placed on them since the ballot days with Phil Spencer.

:ult_terry:: I don’t know as much about KoF and Fatal Fury ( Flyboy Flyboy would be great at that), but Terry isn’t this unbelievably niche character either. SNK has constantly had a presence on Nintendo consoles in terms of virtual console too.

:ultbyleth:: Not really a “niche” pick, but a Nintendo advertisement pick which we’ve seen before. Hard to tell if we’ll get another one or even who that would be considering our knowledge of Nintendo’s lineup this upcoming year.

In terms of sales? Sure, maybe some of these characters are “niche”. Within context though, I don’t think it’s that black and white when looked at individually.
There could be smaller picks but I would contend there are several tiers of candidates with higher standings - aside from Hero in Japan. And previously, all the third-parties, bar Bayonetta, came from a loftier strata.

Niche, eh no probably not, but calling them truly "big", idk if that fits either. Apart from Hero, ofc. Well, in Japan.

Intermediate is probably most apt, imo.

Wasn’t Banjo and Kazooie a top ten all-time N64 character? His first game was a blockbuster
His first two games were blockbusters but twenty years of neglect and misuse will fade the star, somewhat.

For example, Duke Nukem games were also popular back then, and look at the series now.

Krankees

Smash Ace
This was a really old discussion, but I’m still angry there’s no way to get the Persona 5 Scramble remix of Last Surprise in smash
I'll never understand why Life Will Change, Blooming Villain, and Will Power weren't added.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So as a result we all have of the mainstay Zelda characters being Link, Zelda, and Ganon.
Impa's a mainstay character with a lot of story importance. Sure a lot of the one offs have popularity but Link, Zelda, and Ganon aren't the only important recurring characters.

Secondly Zelda fans have no where near backed a single character like with Metroid fans with Ridley or DK fans of K Rool. I think if most if not all Zelda fans back one character and have no debate they would have a much better chance.
I mean Metroid got both Ridley and Dark Samus so that alone shows that Dark Samus had to have some support alongside Ridley for Sakurai to add both. And K Rool wasn't the only DK character people were asking for, it's not like there wasn't any debate in either of those series.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I still want the F-Zero GX character themes in Smash and don't understand why we never got any. Licensing, maybe.

And it's got to the point that it's entirely possible no one even knows what I'm talking about anymore. Just old lady ramblings.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So Was this discussed yet? A physical card is being released in Japan on March 23rd.

Wasn't Joker revealed the same day the Vol 1 physical card was released?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I still want the F-Zero GX character themes in Smash and don't understand why we never got any. Licensing, maybe.

And it's got to the point that it's entirely possible no one even knows what I'm talking about anymore. Just old lady ramblings.
Just PLEASE get me Theme of Captain Falcon instead of 10 SNES remixes nobody asked for and I will be content

ok fine give us Dr. Stewart and Black Shadow’s themes too

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Impa's a mainstay character with a lot of story importance. Sure a lot of the one offs have popularity but Link, Zelda, and Ganon aren't the only important recurring characters.

I mean Metroid got both Ridley and Dark Samus so that alone shows that Dark Samus had to have some support alongside Ridley for Sakurai to add both. And K Rool wasn't the only DK character people were asking for, it's not like there wasn't any debate in either of those series.
View attachment 264624
I don't think there are any perfectly feasible, perfectly qualified candidates more chronically looked past than Impa and Toad, and I don't really understand it.

I mean Impa seemingly addresses the main complaint people have with Zelda candidates, that they don't recur. And Ultimate has reached into the back catalogue of Zelda content to invalidate the old logic of necessitating a fighting-feasible role in the newest iteration.

And people liked her quite a bit in Hyrule Warriors. Dunno why she doesn't have more popularity. Or didn't, back when first-party popularity was more of a thing (which is strange to say). My Zelda character of choice is Skull Kid, but I'd be happy to see Impa too.

So Was this discussed yet? A physical card is being released in Japan on March 23rd.

Wasn't Joker revealed the same day the Vol 1 physical card was released?
I wouldn't hold your breath, it's for Brawl's fighter pass.

Wait-

(I know it's translation shenanigans)

Just PLEASE get me Theme of Captain Falcon instead of 10 SNES remixes nobody asked for and I will be content

I don't really get my hopes up when it comes to characters, but every single Smash what I do get my hopes up for is Dr. Stewart's theme, and every single time I get disappointed.

But they'll have to add it eventually... right? There's like 1000 songs.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Banjo was a big deal, young people underestimate how much a Nintendo icon he was. There’s a reason there’s a bazillion crazy reactions to him being included finally.
True, but others are right as he is a faded star, but I would not call him niche

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The discussion about "who's niche, who's not niche" always lead nowhere. The definition of "niche" is so large that you could say every character in the pass are niche and someone else could say that every character in the pass are not niche and both could be right. I mean yeah, Banjo was very popular in the N64 era, but pretty much anyone that are 13 to 15 years old would probably not know about him (except if their parents bought him Nuts and bolts). Byleth could be consider not niche because he's recent and relevant but he comes from a tactical rpg, probably one of the most niche video game genre out there. I think the pass do a pretty good job overall so that pretty much everyone would recognize at least one character, but at some extent they all could be niche or not depending of your age and the type of game you play and the console you have.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
And people liked her quite a bit in Hyrule Warriors. Dunno why she doesn't have more popularity. Or didn't, back when first-party popularity was more of a thing (which is strange to say). My Zelda character of choice is Skull Kid, but I'd be happy to see Impa too.
I remember Midna was pretty popular too around the Brawl era when Twilight Princess was brand new. Still fairly popular today, I think she had a big resurgence after Twilight Princess HD as well.

Don't forget Jody Summer and Pico's themes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Was this posted yet? The Nintendo Direct html page updated a couple hours ago. We could be getting a direct sooner than we think.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I remember Midna was pretty popular too around the Brawl era when Twilight Princess was brand new. Still fairly popular today, I think she had a big resurgence after Twilight Princess HD as well.
Sure, she was indeed quite popular around Brawl, but Midna's current popularity seems appropriate for a one-off Zelda character from around fifteen years ago. Notable, but nothing crazy.

Impa, on the other hand, is not really impeded by anything, yet lacks the demand you'd think an otherwise-fairly popular, regularly recurring Zelda character would get, especially when it's not that uncommon for character popularity to get kicked off simply because people judge the series as needing more representation.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Was this posted yet? The Nintendo Direct html page updated a couple hours ago. We could be getting a direct sooner than we think.

This bodes well for me.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If true it definitely lines up with the physical FP2 release.

Only question is when is soon? Next week or the week after? Next month? Hmmm...

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman

Chances are there could be a Direct announcement tomorrow. But we'll see.

In other news:
No DLC candidate is getting axed by a spirit board announcement tonight. Just an online tournament event. Believe it focuses on spiky and round characters and items.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

In other news:
No DLC candidate is getting axed by a spirit board announcement tonight. Just an online tournament event. Believe it focuses on spiky and round characters and items.
That’s a rather random theme to choose

D

Deleted member

In other news:
【トーナメントイベント】
3/6(金)から3日間、ツンツン・まんまるしたファイター限定のトーナメントを開催! アイテムもツンツン・まんまるしたものだけが出現します。あなたの好みはどっち?#スマブラSP pic.twitter.com/wqMZC1RKN5— 大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ【スマブラ公式】 (@SmashBrosJP) March 4, 2020 No DLC candidate is getting axed by a spirit board announcement tonight. Just an online tournament event. Believe it focuses on spiky and round characters and items.
tfw a Fire Emblem themed Tourney still hasn't happened but we get spikes v balls :S

Spirit Events and Online Tourney Events are definitely bi-weekly. I'm certainly hyped to see what new spirits will be added to Smash next week and the 2 weeks after that and so on.

D

Deleted member

This bodes well for me.
You still gotta love the Baboom for a bit longer, Zero.

If true it definitely lines up with the physical FP2 release.

Only question is when is soon? Next week or the week after? Next month? Hmmm...
Soon as in maybe tomorrow or Thursday. Read the tweet I tagged with that post.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was next week out of skepticism sake.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

In other news:
Grovyle... Win

SonicMario

Smash Master

In other news:
But... Sonic is technically both when he fights. What side is he on :V

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sure, she was indeed quite popular around Brawl, but Midna's current popularity seems appropriate for a one-off Zelda character from around fifteen years ago. Notable, but nothing crazy.

Impa, on the other hand, is not really impeded by anything, yet lacks the demand you'd think an otherwise-fairly popular, regularly recurring Zelda character would get, especially when it's not that uncommon for character popularity to get kicked off simply because people judge the series as needing more representation.
Impa is cool, but I feel like a lot of the push for her stems from people thinking that her multiple appearances make her more likely. That's not too different from those who support characters just because they're new, but I don't think her fanbase has stuck with her for the long haul. A lot of people dropped her like they never knew her once Skull Kid was considered likely.

For me personally, I'm neutral. I don't oppose the idea, but she's not in my top 3 (and that's me grouping all four Champions together as one.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Impa was really big in Smash 4 when Hyrule Warriors was a thing. People really enjoyed her inclusion there and she was an all-around badass. Can't blame them, but she definitely fell off when BOTW's Impa was an old crone and the Champions started pushing her aside.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Impa was really big in Smash 4 when Hyrule Warriors was a thing. People really enjoyed her inclusion there and she was an all-around badass. Can't blame them, but she definitely fell off when BOTW's Impa was an old crone and the Champions started pushing her aside.
At least Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are for the most part consistent appearance and ability wise throughout all their incarnations. Literally no two Impas are alike or even similar

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

At least Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are for the most part consistent appearance and ability wise throughout all their incarnations. Literally no two Impas are alike or even similar
I always thought Impa could take advantage of the fact she was a Ninja and wielded big weapons like naginatas and 2-handed swords. OOT, Skyward Sword, and HW take advantage of it. Hell, BOTW Impa says she was a fighter back in the day.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I think Vaati would be a good sorta dark horse Zelda rep he could be a mix between his minish cap and regular form or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom