• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It does? I think it's just had firey highlights and that's it.
Huh. I looked up what weapon it was and mentions nothing about fire being used in it. Maybe Pit doesn't use fire after all.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What big companies don't profit off of slave labor?
Exactly my point. It's awful, but that's the reality of the world. It's why people should keep things in perspective when they want to keep Smash "pure" by keeping certain companies out. It was never pure to begin with. Something something "no such thing as ethical consumption" something something capitalism.

Like for real, people. A megacorp doing megacorp things isn't going to keep said company's characters out of Smash.
Wait what?
Scroll up.

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
A megacorp doing megacorp things isn't going to keep said company's characters out of Smash.
If we're being fair, Nintendo does also have it's own bugbears even outside of the slave labor thing with how they treat their consumers. Between their awful mobile games and they things they let IntSys get away with with DLC, Nintendo isn't as squeaky clean as everyone would want to believe

and then of course there's how behind the times they are with their own copyright enforcement of music and that attempted "creators program" which everyone called out

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Let's change the topic. Politics has a time and place, but I don't think a discussion over which fictional character will be the next to get in a children's fighting game is it.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Kinda want to interject on this because I just finished Catherine last night and
Both Rin/Qatherine and Erica are trans, and Vincent also shows his own tendency towards Rin (who is female presenting but hasn't physically transitioned)
I wouldn't put it all on Atlus about homophobia because I doubt a homophobic company would put out something like that
Rin isnt actually, Rins just stright up a boy that crossdresses... and for some reason is also an alian. Erica tho yes, is trans/SPOILER]

Last edited:

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
Yeah, honestly, that doesn't surprise me, I just kinda held out hope considering she used actual female pronouns for about 98% of the game
bruh I didn't even have to open it up and you tell me what it is smh

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Let's change the topic. Politics has a time and place, but I don't think a discussion over which fictional character will be the next to get in a children's fighting game is it.
It's not even politics, it's reality. When people say "[insert character] can't get in because [insert company] did bad things," it's absolutely not irrelevant to point out the fact that precedent dictates that it doesn't matter.

Like at that point it's just being unfair to people who would want Sora.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So not looking like a direct again, still hope of course but today in my mind was the most likely day to hear an announcement.

Does anybody have any idea why it’s been so long? I find it truly bizarre. Makes you think they just don’t have anything for the first half of the year. We haven’t seen or heard about any meaningful new games in half a year or 1/6 of the Switch’s lifetime.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
As I've said before, we're most likely not seeing Smash again until E3. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we only saw two of those six new characters actually release this year. I know people wanted to hope that December 2021 end date was a placeholder, but the further get into the year, the more that seems to be unlikely.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
Right, but I didn't say a name though so it could be anyone
It's okay, I think I know what it is. But knowing it won't really ruin the game if I ever decide to play it anyways

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It's not even politics, it's reality. When people say "[insert character] can't get in because [insert company] did bad things," it's absolutely not irrelevant to point out the fact that precedent dictates that it doesn't matter.

Not to talk **** but a certain community likes to shut down sora like that even if he is just mentioned slightly
"I would like sora"
" Nope. Disney. Sorry"
"But KH has loads of original stuff they can use"
"Disney said no (which is a lie), so no"

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
It's okay, I think I know what it is. But knowing it won't really ruin the game if I ever decide to play it anyways
It's really good. The team behind it is great at story telling and the ending I got was really heartwarming and made me reevaluate things in my life. It's Persona but for adults

D

Deleted member

Still don't understand where the "Nintendo profits off of slave labor" thing came from. I don't follow this stuff, so I'm seriously trying to understand this or at least get details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not to talk **** but a certain community likes to shut down sora like that even if he is just mentioned slightly
"I would like sora"
" Nope. Disney. Sorry"
A ton of people do that.

Like, Disney does present some issues (namely based on creative control as seen with MvCI, etc), but it's not at all based on their morality as a company. Like at that point people are being clouded by their own bias.
Still don't understand where the "Nintendo profits off of slave labor" thing came from. I don't follow this stuff, so I'm seriously trying to understand this or at least get details.
Previous page, Gwen's post.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It’s the same thing that people use against folks who want Tracer in Smash because they like Overwatch, or frankly continue to play Overwatch.

It’s as if there is no black and white in the world lol. Sure, I fundamentally disagree with the handling of the situation with Blitzchung for example, but that doesn’t mean the developers of the game are guilty when they themselves disagree with it. I would still love Tracer in Smash, and I love Overwatch...despite not playing it for quite awhile because of my gigantic backlog.

I think the point is more that folks have had this idea that their favorite childhood series are produced by a company that isn’t as squeaky clean as they thought, and let’s just hope that kills off “political” arguments for good.

Though, I do wonder if Nintendo does avoid adding Overwatch to Smash because of the launch of the game. Then again, I think that was reported in a way that made it seem like just Overwatch got refunds when that wasn’t the case. Or something. Have to read a bit more into that.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
IIRC, it was said above by someone that Nintendo gets a lot of their products made in China which would mean slave labor. Can't comment on the legitimacy of the claim, but all in all exporting labor to China in general is kind of morally wrong because of the unethical conditions workers in the country are treated too.

It's done because it's quick and cheap, which is gross, but that's unfortunately how the world works

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
I don't really get why people get so pent up about no Directs, I tend to shove it out of my mind and get hype when one is announced. I mean there's a lot of games out there, I wouldn't mind them pushing it back for a year just so I can finish through the backlog of games I have to play before I find even more stuff I want to beat.

Some articles outting it, could be direct or indirect that Nintendo is getting hardware from them knowing it. I'd say don't worry about it as terrible as it sounds, just remember Nintendo isn't squeaky clean. Back to smash though :ultridley:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
As a Sora supporter, Sora's biggest obstacles are Disney being an absolute butt to people they work with regarding creative control and how much money they might demand.

Disney content itself, however, is not an issue because it doesn't need to be there. KH has tons of original content to play with.

D

Deleted member

A ton of people do that.

Like, Disney does present some issues (namely based on creative control as seen with MvCI, etc), but it's not at all based on their morality as a company. Like at that point people are being clouded by their own bias.

Previous page, Gwen's post.
Found it. Thanks. Wtf is happening in China? First Corona and now this? Pfffft ****ing assholes.
Screenshot_20200303-092610_Opera.jpg

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
I think I'd want Neku over Sora honestly, just has his roots more planted in Nintendo and I'm more familiar with it than Kingdom Hearts. I'm not necessarily against Sora but he's just kinda eh. He'd probably be fun as hell to play though

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think I'd want Neku over Sora honestly, just has his roots more planted in Nintendo and I'm more familiar with it than Kingdom Hearts. I'm not necessarily against Sora but he's just kinda eh. He'd probably be fun as hell to play though
NEKU GANG RISE UP

Neku would also be our second character from the DS, first being Lucario

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
IF MEI FROM OVERWATCH IS IN SMASH BROS:

SMASH BROS ULTIMATE IS BANNED ON CHINA BECAUSE OF JOKES ABOUT CORONAVIRUS.

By the way, how's the situation of coronavirus? Something will affect Smash Bros Ultimate?

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I don't disagree that "Sora can't get in because Disney is mean" is a dumb argument. However, the point has been largely made at this point. Every corporation in Smash Bros has skeletons in their closet so it's dumb to start enforcing it on Disney. However, I don't think a larger discussion of the ethics of capitalism or the social duty that game developers have to the public is really warranted, as it's getting outside the original topic of Sora's chances to get into Smash. Worth discussing? Absolutely. Worth discussing in a thread dedicated to Smash Bros characters? Not really.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
By the way, how's the situation of coronavirus? Something will affect Smash Bros Ultimate?
To be honest it really isn't that bad. Its just the common flu and cold with the same symptoms but more widespread and contagious.

Aside from health reasons there's other reasons for quarantining such as economic reasons and to have said virus die down sooner plus being sick is never fun another reason to contain it. Plus if it reaches say like India or Africa then the longer its going to be here and spread more quickly.

Yes things are bad over there in China but that's because they don't have the medical experience as other places do along with how populated the country is and even then the majority of deaths are elderly or people with health complications which my condolences still goes out to and their families. This will die down eventually like every so called outbreak.

Regardless I still wish everyone safe because being sick is never an fun experience.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm personally hoping that if Sora gets in he brings the remix of Twister from Kingdom Hearts 3DS with him.
That way Sakurai can increase his record by having TWEWY in Smash alongside KH.

Maybe put a Neku spirit on his spirit board put drive home how both games are connected.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Imagine Neku being one of those surprise picks for DLC. Say if Sakurai couldn't get Sora he decided to use Neku as the next option.

Even then I dunno why but I'm feeling The World Ends With You is going to get an Spirit Board/Event.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Imagine Neku being one of those surprise picks for DLC. Say if Sakurai couldn't get Sora he decided to use Neku as the next option.

Even then I dunno why but I'm feeling The World Ends With You is going to get an Spirit Board/Event.
I can actually see the first thing happening tbh (no Sora so here’s Neku instead) plus it could tie in with a potential TWEWY sequel, Final Remix teased the hell out of it

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If another Square IP will get a spirit event, it’ll be after the third Square rep is chosen, and it might be a smaller franchise like Star Ocean (which had a game release on switch last December), Chrono Trigger/Cross, or maybe even a Sephiroth one-off event like they did with Warframe’s Lotus, with appropriate “filler” spirits

or even a not-VII Final Fantasy Spirit event (FFVI? FFX? FFXV? FFXIII? they might choose XII cause the best version of Zodiac Age is on Switch and Xbox One)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom