• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Waluigi will always be too purple to ever be a playable character! :troll:

Off-topic joke aside, what would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where Axel Stone from Streets of Rage was the first DLC character for Vol 2?
I would be amazed! Streets of Rage 2 is one of my favourite games from my childhood and it would be awesome just for the music selection alone. Plus I'd get one character from my wish list checked off.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think Sakurai was pretty straightforward with Corrin. Do I think the development team went with the best character at the time? No, not even a little. Still, he did it as a way to thank his team for all their hard work. That's understandable, though I really think he should've done that in the base game rather than paid DLC. The ballot also made the timing extremely poor, seeing how people were already complaining of too many FE characters back then.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Sakurai was pretty straightforward with Corrin. Do I think the development team went with the best character at the time? No, not even a little. Still, he did it as a way to thank his team for all their hard work. That's understandable, though I really think he should've done that in the base game rather than paid DLC. The ballot also made the timing extremely poor, seeing how people were already complaining of too many FE characters back then.
No too many Fire Emblem characters started after Corrin. Roy was welcomed by most people for being a beloved veteran. However, some argued it should've been Wolf who had to return , because Fire Emblem already had more characters, and Lucina is basically a "fixed Roy"; a clone of Marth without the handicap of having the sweet spot of the sword on the hilt. But Roy played different after his return, and it lead to Chrom being an Echo this time, and that also means that Fire Emblem had no "true newcomer" in Ultimate so Byleth is also really justified.

Since Fire Emblem's coming to the west, we only got one "true" newcomer for Fire Emblem each game. If we don't count DLC that's it. Brawl only had Ike alongside Marth, Smash 4 had Robin, but Lucina came in for free basically. Then with DLC we had one unique newcomer with Corrin. Ultimate had Byleth as DLC, and all others are a returning veteran by popular demand which is Roy in Smash 4, and that also allowed for the highly demanded Chrom by ballot votes and Echo Fighters being a thing.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Since Fire Emblem's coming to the west, we only got one "true" newcomer for Fire Emblem each game. If we don't count DLC that's it. Brawl only had Ike alongside Marth, Smash 4 had Robin, but Lucina came in for free basically. Then with DLC we had one unique newcomer with Corrin. Ultimate had Byleth as DLC, and all others are a returning veteran by popular demand which is Roy in Smash 4, and that also allowed for the highly demanded Chrom by ballot votes and Echo Fighters being a thing.
The past five entries in the FE series that weren't remakes have gotten a character in Smash (Ike reps two), and Echoes don't even effect this number. That's more than twice as long as Pokemon's streak.

The number of reps is fine, but they're doing at a pace that's way too fast. Plus, regardless of whether or not these additions are valid, people have made it abundantly clear that there's no demand for another FE character. In fact, there's actually a noticeable amount of opposition to it. That's another reason why I think they should slow down and give FE a break - I don't see the point in adding a character when you're expecting most fans to dislike them. Sakurai having to tell fans "no hard feelings" in the official Byleth presentation is pretty telling.

SKX31

Smash Master
The past five entries in the FE series that weren't remakes have gotten a character in Smash (Ike reps two), and Echoes don't even effect this number. That's more than twice as long as Pokemon's streak.

The number of reps is fine, but they're doing at a pace that's way too fast. Plus, regardless of whether or not these additions are valid, people have made it abundantly clear that there's no demand for another FE character. In fact, there's actually a noticeable amount of opposition to it. That's another reason why I think they should slow down and give FE a break - I don't see the point in adding a character when you're expecting most fans to dislike them. Sakurai having to tell fans "no hard feelings" in the official Byleth presentation is pretty telling.
At the same time though, FE might be the franchise most affected by cuts and / or compression from Smash 6 onwards. I'm not counting on Smash 6 having a 70+ character roster because I'm presuming A) that they'll "start from scratch" more or less, and B) The devs will probably focus on something else after Ultimate touted such a huge roster of nearly 90 characters (including Echoes). Assuming a 60-70 character Smash 6 roster (as a hypotheoretical example), the only really safe characters would be :ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin: and possibly Byleth. I'm going into this presuming that a new FE rep gets added (for a total of 5 FE characters in Smash 6). As for the rest:

* :ultlucina: could be folded into Marth (staying as she is, but not taking a slot in the CSS by her own, like one of Ultimate's already existing options) if not outright removed - I'm not sure Nintendo feels a "need" to have 2-3 Awakening characters in the game from Smash 6 and beyond. :ultchrom: doesn't have the luxury of being "fold-able" - see Roy.
* :ultroy: feels kind of wonky. Sure, if the devs feel he's different enough from Marth to warrant a spot he (and Chrom) could return. But he's been put on the backburner before, so he feels like a cut.
* :ultcorrin: feels difficult to tell. Moveset is a plus, but Corrin could also be an easy "cut" too since Fates has been overshadowed by Awakening (its predecessor) and 3H (successor). The character doesn't strike me as one Nintendo would prioritize with a more limited amount of slots available.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
When Nintendo is doing their E3 reveals, I hope they unveil whatever the next FE game is and confirm the protagonist as one of the DLC characters right afterwards. Get it out of the way sooner rather than later.

D

Deleted member

I come from Forest Maze hoping to see a different topic from Fire Emblem/character cuts and now I come here and It is the same again.

Screenshot_20200118-163246.png

We seriously should look for more topics to discuss.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I come from Forest Maze hoping to see a different topic from Fire Emblem/character cuts and now I come here and It is the same again.

It literally just came up. I don't think it's going to be a thing again.

Any hopes season 2 will come with a new mode?
Nope. I'd like one, but it's not happening.

EDIT: Imagine a The Subspace Emissary style adventure mode that stars every character, including the DLC ones. That'd be amazing...It'd certainly be one way to get everyone to buy all of the characters as well. lol

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

View attachment 263475

1. Forest Maze? Never heard of it.

2. Hmmm topic.
If it was free content what assist trophies would you all like to see?
For me it would be Ulala from Space Channel 5 and Mr. Resetti to come back.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
banjo kazioo sold 3.6 million and is top 10 in n64 games sold. thats not a cult classic. and your earthbound example doesnt work because nintendo has made it pretty clear they arent releasing mother 3 anywhere else. earthbound 1 did 440k in total sales. with 3/4 coming in japan only. Nintendo doesnt think the mother series has mass appeal. most people only know them as the pk bois in smash these days.

okami didnt even get that far. banjo has 3 total games. whether or not fans like them is a different matter. between a nonpresnece in japan and a presence in america built of more than 10 years of re-releases no i dont think okami is getting in.

i do love how the goalposts shift. people argued games like bayonetta 2 was a failure when its total sales are greater than okami who is deemed by some to be popular. im not doubting people love the game and character but i wouldnt call okami popular or even trending upward. more like treading water.
Banjo is still a cult classic. It may've been somewhat popular when released (particularly in the West), but it's modern significance has largely been maintained through word of mouth from people who played the game when it was originally released. Banjo isn't culturally relevant at a mainstream level but is sub-culturally relevant to those interesting in classic gaming or 3D platformers, that's what makes it a cult classic.

Regarding Earthbound, your sales only reflect its original run on the SNES. Since then, it has seen a rerelease on the Wii U Virtual Console, New 3DS Virtual Console, and the SNES Classic Edition. Not only did the SNES Classic sell about 2 million units, but Earthbound dominated the Wii U's sales charts, remaining in the top 10 most sold games alongside Nintendo's new big releases for much of the system's life. These rereleases have drastically expanded the scope of Earthbound's popularity and demonstrate the point I was originally making: it's stupid to use a game's original run to demonstrate its popularity when many will only play the game through rereleases.

Also, Earthbound isn't a cult classic because it doesn't have mainstream appeal and Mother 3 wasn't released? Neither of those things effect Earthbound's status as a cult classic. Cult classics don't need to have mainstream appeal, they just need to be culturally relevant to a particular subculture by popular/influential. Earthbound does that in spades. It's one of the celebrated SNES games of all time, considered a must play for JRPG fans, and has influenced too many indies to count. It's undoubtedly a cult classic.

Likewise, Mother 3 hasn't avoided western released because Nintendo hates the Mother series, it just hasn't worked out timing wise. Mother 3 released in 2006 on the dying GBA, already a risk to bring over. Compound this with the costs of translating and localizing a game that text heavy and a lack of brand awareness at the time, there was basically no way to bring Mother 3 over. Since then, there hasn't been any opportunity to translate and localize of Mother 3 simply because it hasn't seen a big rerelease in Japan since. NoA actually values Mother a fair bit, seeing how they went out of their way to add it to the SNES Classic's lineup with NoJ neglected Mother 2 on the Super Famicom mini. If, say, a Mother 3 remake was released in Japan on Switch, it would definitely be brought over here.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I quite frankly doubt another Fire Emblem character. There's currently no game in sight, and if there's any further 1st parties I would think they'd take from a different series.

As far as swordfighters go, I feel it's important to notice that Sakurai didn't make a big deal out of the saturation of sword users when Hero was added. He mentioned it alongside the announcement of a more controversial addition. This is why I personally do not fear the potential prospect of particular sword users not getting added.

It always comes down to the fact that sword users may share a weapon, but rarely their gameplay.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Forest Maze? Never heard of it.

2. Hmmm topic.
For me it would be Ulala from Space Channel 5 and Mr. Resetti to come back.
I would love to see any of the DQXI party members as assist trophies (Erik, Veronica, Sylvando or Rab would be cool for example).

Rundas as an assist trophy could work too if he can't be a fighter.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I remember during smash 4 there was a Fake DLC leak for a Sega carnival stage and one of the parts levels was streets of rage. </3 I was actually so sad when it was confirmed fake, like you could tell but damn.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Corrin being FE wasn’t why they were chosen, it was wanting a new character and FE Fates’s timing.
http://sourcegaming.info/2015/12/23/496/ He did discuss things with Nintendo, too. No, they didn’t force him, but I think his reasoning is understandable instead of crying “umg FE bias.”

And I don’t know why you base your arguments on what he may or may not be truly thinking or that he may be lying or withholding information. This is part of why everyone is tired of arguing with you regarding Sakurai and other things.
Yup, Corrin was only pick due to coming from a recent game, if we didn't get Corrin then chances are Inkling would of gotten into Smash 4 instead. Since that the was the only other recent Nintendo character at the time who had a decent chance of getting into Smash and its possible Inkling was considered, but Sakurai and the team decided to save them for Ultimate as Nintendo had big plans for Splatoon as a franchise going forward, while Corrin was in a now or never situation.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yup, Corrin was only pick due to coming from a recent game, if we didn't get Corrin then chances are Inkling would of gotten into Smash 4 instead. Since that the was the only other recent Nintendo character at the time who had a decent chance of getting into Smash and its possible Inkling was considered, but Sakurai and the team decided to save them for Ultimate as Nintendo had big plans for Splatoon as a franchise going forward, while Corrin was in a now or never situation.
Inkling's Ink mechanic probably wouldn't have worked on 3ds either, and if 3ds was a nogo then so was the wii u, so couldn't get into smash 4 cuz of that I'd wager

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Imagine a The Subspace Emissary style adventure mode that stars every character, including the DLC ones. That'd be amazing...It'd certainly be one way to get everyone to buy all of the characters as well. lol
Imagine that but there were different segments with the styles of each games. It wouldn’t have a segment for every game, but it could still have every character while doing segments for huge series and DLC.
Just imagine playing a story mode with Joker and Cloud in the style of Persona 5 but it takes place in Dracula’s Castle

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Any hopes season 2 will come with a new mode?
Spirit Maker would be sick. Let us create custom rulesets based on the ingame spirit battles, give them names and share them online. No PNGs though for obvious reasons.
Other than that... give Boss Rush pls

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
At the same time though, FE might be the franchise most affected by cuts and / or compression from Smash 6 onwards. I'm not counting on Smash 6 having a 70+ character roster because I'm presuming A) that they'll "start from scratch" more or less, and B) The devs will probably focus on something else after Ultimate touted such a huge roster of nearly 90 characters (including Echoes). Assuming a 60-70 character Smash 6 roster (as a hypotheoretical example), the only really safe characters would be :ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin: and possibly Byleth. I'm going into this presuming that a new FE rep gets added (for a total of 5 FE characters in Smash 6). As for the rest:

* :ultlucina: could be folded into Marth (staying as she is, but not taking a slot in the CSS by her own, like one of Ultimate's already existing options) if not outright removed - I'm not sure Nintendo feels a "need" to have 2-3 Awakening characters in the game from Smash 6 and beyond. :ultchrom: doesn't have the luxury of being "fold-able" - see Roy.
* :ultroy: feels kind of wonky. Sure, if the devs feel he's different enough from Marth to warrant a spot he (and Chrom) could return. But he's been put on the backburner before, so he feels like a cut.
* :ultcorrin: feels difficult to tell. Moveset is a plus, but Corrin could also be an easy "cut" too since Fates has been overshadowed by Awakening (its predecessor) and 3H (successor). The character doesn't strike me as one Nintendo would prioritize with a more limited amount of slots available.
I don't disagree, and as much as people hate anyone for saying it, FE is the most expendable of the franchises on the roster.

It'll be tough to cut characters from franchises with less than 4 characters, and that even applies to less popular ones like EarthBound and Kid Icarus. Naturally, franchises with more characters will be the first target. Mario might lose one at worst; it's Nintendo's flagship franchise, so I think its characters have a high priority. Zelda has been mostly the same since Melee. It might lose Young Link again, but I also doubt that happening given how much they changed Link. IMO, Pokemon and FE are the only franchises in danger of losing two or more characters.

If it were up to me, I would just cut Roy/Chrom and leave the rest alone. At least that way we wouldn't lose any fully unique characters.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That's a dumb way of looking at it. There could be 30 more characters coming, all from different 3rd party series, and you could still make a fantastic roster consisting of only Japanese characters.
Hell, I pretty much already did.

There's a couple Western characters(Shantae, Rash), a couple 1st party characters(King Hippo, Toad, Spring Man) and a couple from already repped franchises(King Hippo, Toad, Zero, Alucard). But by and large, my top 30 is mostly from new, 3rd party Japanese franchises.

King Hippo [Punch-Out]
Eggplant Wizard [Kid Icarus]
Chocobo [Final Fantasy]
Slimes/King Slime[Dragon Quest]
Randi [Secret of Mana]
The Amazon [Pro Wrestling]
Rygar [Rygar]
Abobo [Double Dragon]
Vic Viper [Gradius]
Mike Jones [Star Tropics]
Simea [Crystalis]
Sophia 3rd [Blaster Master]
Urban Champions [Urban Champion]
Bernard [Maniac Mansion]
Kuros [Wizards & Warriors]

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
As for new modes, I guess a beatem up mode similar to Double Dragon would be an interesting addition. Worlds would be from random series. essentially all the animations and button commands to implement a mode like this are already present in the main game, so it would be a pretty smooth transition.

Maybe mix that with elements from that free multiplayer Kirby game that’s in the store, and you could have a pretty fresh mode for smash.

Maybe some character specific mini games, like a flappy bird clone using characters like Kirby or Metalknight.

Idk there’s still a lot they can do with this game in my opinion, but I’m just cool with new characters. I do wish that the mii fighters would receive some more love tho. Customization options in terms of attacks are very limited. More specials for each fighter would help enhance the feeling of actually getting to play as certain characters who received costumes.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Question for the thread. Looking at not just the DLC but also future Smash games, do you think we'll ever get another Animal Crossing character, and if so, who is the character and how do they distinguish themselves from Villager and Isabelle?

I think there's a decent chance we could get Tom Nook, but I have no idea what he'd do.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Question for the thread. Looking at not just the DLC but also future Smash games, do you think we'll ever get another Animal Crossing character, and if so, who is the character and how do they distinguish themselves from Villager and Isabelle?

I think there's a decent chance we could get Tom Nook, but I have no idea what he'd do.
Maybe in the game after the next. It will either be Tom Nook with some sort of bell based mechanic, or someone who has yet to make their debut.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Not really, no.

If someone is going to get in, it'd be Tom Nook like you said, but then I remember he is in Isabelle's FS and it'd be too weird if you're fighting Tom Nook as Isabelle, and you see him again in her FS.

So probably not.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but then I remember he is in Isabelle's FS and it'd be too weird if you're fighting Tom Nook as Isabelle, and you see him again in her FS.
something something robin chrom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom