• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
>Make thread for new Nintendo character
>Never update thread
>Everyone forced to talk in a thread where everything but a character image is TBA

Why do people do this

Wish there was like... some requirements before a thread could get made.
The one thing people are as obsessed with as wanting their own characters is being right about the characters they think will be in.
I remember back in high school someone voted on a candidate just because they thought they were going to win, like the electoral process is a horse race.

Like that's NOT how voting/support threads are supposed to work at all, but I guess being the original thread creator of "Pokemon Sword/Shield character"/"Fire Emblem 18 Avatar" thread is some kind of badge of honor when you're proven correct, like you're some kind of prophet for guessing the blindingly obvious.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
It’d definitely be fine, if that was actually what Wynn is thinking. You haven’t seen his past posts. I don’t care if he thinks they’ll be costumes, he doesn’t have to try and force the idea on other people and be doom and gloom if someone has even the tiniest bit of optimism.
No one has the ability to determine what someone is truly thinking or know the intent behind what is said, we can make estimates and inferences.
But the accuracy of those guesses may not be accurate.
Words over an internet page, cannot force you or anyone to do anything that they do not want to do.
Sharing of ideas and perspectives is apart of speculation, we each come to our own for different reasons.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
The only character I can without a doubt say I'd hate would be Sam Bridges from Death Stranding. He's Sony though, so we're safe on that front. Pretty much anyone else I could understand. A new FE character would just make me log off because I'm really done with that conversation/debate and it would be months on end so that would suck. Even for the characters I want the least that are realistic I can see a reason why they'd be included so even if one did get in all I could say is "Welp, I completely disagree with this pick but I suppose I get it. Time to see how they play" Unless it's some really wild **** going down, like if Cyril was the playable 3H character instead of Byleth

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't have time to read everything. They say evidence that goes against me, I say evidence that goes against them. It's the same dance at all the time, but even with a mountain of evidence it can backfire; such as how there was no Shadow Assist Trophy show throughout Ultimate's reveal and how there were no Three Houses Spirit Event in Ultimate.

Geno couldn't get in Smash 4 Base Roster, Smash 4 DLC, Ultimate's Base Roster, and Fighters Pass Vol 2. What makes the fifth time any different? Is Square going to be more cooperative and give more than just 2 songs? Are Nintendo going to give up a lot of money to get Geno when they can use it to get other characters that people would be just as happy with and cause a huge splash? Sakurai ain't making the decision, it's all about business.

With the Fighters Pass you have Nintendo getting Joker & Terry so Sakurai can happy with and cause an uproar in surprise from consumers. You have Byleth to promote Three Houses. You have Hero to appeal to the eastern audience and advertise to the western audience. And you get one character that's only for a fan pick because Microsoft & Rare were willing to play ball, Banjo. Square Enix ain't going to be like that and Nintendo will have other priorities. Geno is destine to be a Mii Costume, and with any luck it will be in the same style as Sans & Cuphead.
Alright, whatever. I don’t care if you think so, just don’t keep pushing it as fact others should accept whenever someone brings it up even when they acknowledge it could definitely happen, good gosh.

I will say, though, that if you don’t have time to read a person’s entire argument and insist on restating stuff without addressing points that go against said stuff, leaving people somewhat confused, maybe you shouldn’t be arguing at all. Also, Joker and Terry appealed to a lot of people as well, and they could certainly add another fan-pick like Geno or whoever since they’ve done that kinda thing plenty. They don’t and shouldn’t do what the core fanbase wants 100% like you have implied multiple times. No good game designers 100% do what the fans want.

And one more thing: I was just giving my opinion about things and what I would/wouldn’t be disappointed by. I’m perfectly aware the characters could be costumes, that’s obvious for any character. But what do you do? You tell me it anyway, and state it as a fact, like I just had to know and accept it, as it was an undeniable, certain, preordained thing. And from what I said, your reply just really seemed like you intended to be annoying, as your reply had nothing to do with what I was saying save for the fact I mentioned Steve and Geno. “They not being in would disappoint you? Well, they’re costumes, Sakurai told me so, just accept it.” If you’re gonna be a killjoy about everything, like usual, and push things as facts the way you do, leave me the heck alone when not arguing. I ain’t gonna put up with it like everyone else does.

No one has the ability to determine what someone is truly thinking or know the intent behind what is said, we can make estimates and inferences.
But the accuracy of those guesses may not be accurate.
Words over an internet page, cannot force you or anyone to do anything that they do not want to do.
Sharing of ideas and perspectives is apart of speculation, we each come to our own for different reasons.
I’m fairly certain he can’t accept others being more open about possibilities since he keeps doing the same song and dance and never suggests it’s just his own opinion/view no matter how many times people argue with him and point out it’s not 100% fact, since it definitely ain’t just me who feels this way about what he’s saying. Even if you politely acknowledge what he says could happen, like normal, he’ll just do it again later like he’s trying to shut down any sort of positivity. He doesn’t treat it as a possibility, he doesn’t say anything about it being his opinion and it’s okay if others think differently, he treats it as an absolute and anyone who disagrees with him is wrong. It’s been countless times in the Geno thread and even a few times in this thread, once earlier today. I’m sure just about everyone in the Geno thread would be telling you about the same thing.

He even once said something like “don’t come to me when I’ve told you so” in the Geno thread to the other people there, which just made me think he just cares about being right. I’m sure he’s a good guy, maybe he doesn’t mean it that way, but he doesn’t explain it any different than what people say and doesn’t know when to give it a rest, and I’m getting tired of it. It feels like he’s trying to force it on others despite it not working, not realizing his approach to arguing/sharing ideas would be very annoying to just about anyone. He doesn’t really come to the Geno thread anymore, but he was certainly in there arguing this way for a long while and has more-recently been doing it in this thread, treating his words as words you can’t argue with without looking like a fool.

And yes, Wynn, I know you can see this, and I consider this as directed toward you, too. I don’t know if you just don’t explain yourself/word things very well or what, but good gosh if you’re gonna keep pushing it as fact then just stop, it’s become tiresome and very annoying seeing you act like some know-it-all who can’t possibly be disagreed with.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I've already come to terms with Fighter Pass 2 ending with a main character or avatar from Fire Emblem Heroes (Nintendo's most successful mobile game).
It's a Smash tradition to end the DLC with Fire Emblem, plus we don't have a Nintendo mobile shill character yet :joyful:
I think they'd choose Dragalia Lost if they were gonna go with a Nintendo mobile shill character. Fire Emblem Heroes needs absolutely zero help making Scrooge Mcduck money pools.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
here are the characters i dont wanna see in smuch

• can
  • we
  • just
  • stop
  • talking
  • about
  • this
  • and
  • move
  • on
  • please
  • just
  • shut
  • and
  • play
  • Smash
  • or
  • some
  • other
  • video
  • game
  • or
  • do
  • something
  • productive
  • with
  • your
  • time
  • instead
  • of
  • wasting
  • time
  • hating
  • fictional
  • characters

:^)
While I completely agree that Shut, Wasting, and especially Characters are entirely undeserving of a place on the Smash roster, the fact that you would exclude On, This, and Do, true icons with an incomparable legacy, shows what a fake fan you really are.
The sheer pettiness of the gatekeeping in this thread is nothing short of disgusting.

:substitute:

In terms of who I don't want in Smash, answer is obvious:

Non-Video Game characters.
Yeah, that's about where I draw the line. While there are video game characters I dislike and have no interest in paying for, their inclusion on the roster wouldn't by any means ruin the game for me. If a character I don't personally want or care about gets revealed tomorrow, I'd still be happy for the fans who were excited, because I know every character is somebody's favorite.
But if Sakurai decided to break his video games only rule and added, say, Spider-Man, it would just feel weird and wrong, even though I really like Spider-Man.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Went back the last few pages and saw someone say Shantae is more iconic and popular then 2B...

And this is why Smash fans are made fun of often by other video game fandoms and why memes like this exist.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The one thing people are as obsessed with as wanting their own characters is being right about the characters they think will be in.
I remember back in high school someone voted on a candidate just because they thought they were going to win, like the electoral process is a horse race.

Like that's NOT how voting/support threads are supposed to work at all, but I guess being the original thread creator of "Pokemon Sword/Shield character"/"Fire Emblem 18 Avatar" thread is some kind of badge of honor when you're proven correct, like you're some kind of prophet for guessing the blindingly obvious.
The perception of likelihood or perception of inclusion is a huge factor in character popularity when it comes to the Smash speculation scene.
You see this time and time again with the leak of the week or whatever fake leak gains attention or traction.
It's essentially bandwagoning.
There's something about people wanting the bragging rights of having their character added, with the connotations that they've supported this character since forever, and despite all the detractors and odds they made it.
Support threads having supporters lists is conducive of this.
Nothing will ever beat when Duck Hunt Dog was leaked that thread went nuts, the applause it's die hard fans got was considerable.
I think everyone wants to be the Duck Hunt Dog guy, so they latch onto whatever little thing they can to feel apart of the "I know it along club".

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
So what games are you guys playing to pass the time? I'm brushing up on my Fighterz skills (I need to stop playing Base Goku so much, it feels like I never stopped playing him), and I'm waiting for a smash fan game to update so I can play the 6 upcoming characters and a new Sora resprite that looks so amazing.
I'm on the Kingdom Hearts 3 DLC for now, then I'll go on Dragon Quest XI. I also have Wargroove to finish. And to be honest, I have Torna's DLC of Xenoblade 2 to do someday.

Then, there are a ton of games I would like to complete the optional content: Dragon Quest Builders 2, Scribblenauts, Xenoblade 2 base game, do the others routes of Nier Automata. And games to buy: Horizon Zero Dawn, Tokyo Mirage Sessions...

But all of that is heavily limited by the time I spend on SMITE... And maybe soon by going back to Final Fantasy XIV.

I will need to request my holidays to do all of that.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Went back the last few pages and saw someone say Shantae is more iconic and popular then 2B...

And this is why Smash fans are made fun of often by other video game fandoms and why memes like this exist.
Lara Croft puts them both to shame.
Also ones clearly the superior square rep.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Y'all remember when Issac fans unironically used the death of hundreds of a earthquake as a conspiracy for there character being in Smash and nobody called them out because y'all was high on the Grinch leak lmao

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Y'all remember when Issac fans unironically used the death of hundreds of a earthquake as a conspiracy for there character being in Smash and nobody called them out because y'all was high on the Grinch leak lmao
Don't remind me.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I kinda feel bad for the Isaac supporters who didn't latch on to this insane theory since it doesn't seem like this stigma will be forgotten anytime soon.

ZelDan

Smash Master
The Grinch leak didn't happen until AFTER that. The Earthquake was early September 2018 while the Grinch leak I don't think was a thing until the following October. Atleast that's how I remember it.

And honestly, I don't think there was anything in inherently wrong with discussing what the earthquake was meant to be about when it came to the direct delay, whether it be about Isaac, or anything else for that matter (I think I recall some people bringing up Xenoblade 2 DLC in relation to the earthquake), as long people ultimately remembered and acknowledged that Smash stuff or video game stuff was pretty minor compared to the catastrophic stuff that Japan unfortunately went through. There were probably some Isaac fans that acted like pricks over the Earthquake by meming over it and whatnot, but many that I saw didn't act that way and even condoned such actions.

granted, as an Isaac suppoerter, I didn't completely buy the theory myself. I basically figured "The delay maybe could have been about Isaac, it also could have been about literally almost anything else since natural disasters or destruction are incredibly common in games and entertainment media in general."

Still, while it was an incorrect and flawed theory, though I don't the theorozing itself was really bad. Speculation, much like humor, shouldn't really have anything off limits as far as I'm concerned, though ideally more sensitive or darker stuff should be handled with more thought and care.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So what games are you guys playing to pass the time? I'm brushing up on my Fighterz skills (I need to stop playing Base Goku so much, it feels like I never stopped playing him), and I'm waiting for a smash fan game to update so I can play the 6 upcoming characters and a new Sora resprite that looks so amazing.
Mostly Temtem, but also a little bit of MvC2 here and there, because of the EVO selection.

Gotta say, if there's one other fighting game I wish pulled an "Everyone is Here", it's MvC.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
What the **** did I just read?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There was quite a lot going on for Isaac around that time. There where not many people thinking this, and we didn't rally around the earthquake for our cause either. This is pure bull****.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
This was around Isabelle's reveal, so the Grinch leak wasn't a thing yet. There were indeed a few people who used this argument, but I remember them being called out for it plenty of times, especially by fellow Isaac supporters.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm also getting into DBFZ again, the introduction of assist select is exactly what I needed to recapture that spark for the game again. Most of the characters I play are pretty reliant on beam assists (Ginyu is my main guy and pretty much needs one), but problem has always been that I don't really care for any of the characters with a beam assist. Krillin getting one is a start, but I'm really hoping Cooler also gets one too, in that case I'll be set. I'm hoping Android 18 also gets a solid assist, as I do like her gameplay, but ended up dropping her because of her assist.

Honestly, Season 3 is just looking to be so good, I'm super impressed that they're giving the game such a big overhaul three years into its lifespan. While I generally like how Ultimate plays, it does make me wish that the Smash team would be more willing to change some of the more fundamental aspects of the game.

Other than that Blackwing Lair just came out in WoW Classic, so I've got plenty of stuff on my hands.

Yes, it was literally brought up two pages ago...

Honestly, I'm getting a bit tired of all these "SMASH FANBASE BAD" posts in here. Yeah, we all know there are some less than savory people around, but we don't need these posts on an almost daily basis, it's the same few examples every single time and we all know that these things went down. At this point these posts just feel like whatever the Smashboards equivalent of a karma grab is.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think they'd choose Dragalia Lost if they were gonna go with a Nintendo mobile shill character. Fire Emblem Heroes needs absolutely zero help making Scrooge Mcduck money pools.
I think Granblue is more likely to get a character before Dragalia Lost. The former is Cygames most popular IP while the latter is barely breaking even.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Honestly, I'm getting a bit tired of all these "SMASH FANBASE BAD" posts in here. Yeah, we all know there are some less than savory people around, but we don't need these posts on an almost daily basis, it's the same few examples every single time and we all know that these things went down. At this point these posts just feel like whatever the Smashboards equivalent of a karma grab is.
It honestly feels like people are angrier at the tastes of the "Smash bubble"not aligning with theirs than anything else at this point. Which is ironically no different from the core fanbase's rotten apples.

I think Granblue is more likely to get a character before Dragalia Lost. The former is Cygames most popular IP while the latter is barely breaking even.
Dunno about that. Being first party could be a factor in Dragalia's favor, but we'll see. There's also the possibility of neither making it as well.

Of course, if we're talking Nintendo and mobile games, FEH might have a better chance depending on the circumstances.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I can feel a lot of "literally who" posts coming from a Granblue character.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Of course, if we're talking Nintendo and mobile games, FEH might have a better chance depending on the circumstances.
If FEH gets a rep in Smash, then I hope it's Fjorm, either that or due to Lyn's overwhelming popularity on FEH she hopefully gets promoted to a fighter.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Dunno about that. Being first party could be a factor in Dragalia's favor, but we'll see. There's also the possibility of neither making it as well.

You do have a point with Dragalia Lost being first party. I just find Granblue to be likelier since both outcomes will result in talks with Cygames, so why not get Cygames biggest IP instead? I guess one way I see Dragalia Lost being chosen is that Nintendo wants to advertise it since it's not doing that well.

I can feel a lot of "literally who" posts coming from a Granblue character.
Do we ever not get "literally who" posts when a character gets revealed?

Joking aside I get what you mean, Granblue didn't get it's big breakthrough on the West until recently when GFVS spread like fire around the FGC. Still, any following is better than no following.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It honestly feels like people are angrier at the tastes of the "Smash bubble"not aligning with theirs than anything else at this point. Which is ironically no different from the core fanbase's rotten apples.

So not only would there be a new FE rep but potentially one who shoots out more Fire Emblem characters?

Nice.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
You do have a point with Dragalia Lost being first party. I just find Granblue to be likelier since both outcomes will result in talks with Cygames, so why not get Cygames biggest IP instead? I guess one way I see Dragalia Lost being chosen is that Nintendo wants to advertise it since it's not doing that well.
Oh, I get that. It's just that sometimes the bigger connection to Nintendo ends up making the difference and Dragalia is better off in that front, even getting a FE-themed event and all, despite not being as profitable as Granblue.

Regardless, I'm not personally banking on Cygames. Or mobile reps in general, to be frank.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Wait, what? This seriously happened?

That's....messed up.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Technically it was months before Grinch and when Isabelle was supposed to be shown but STILL

How disrespectful do you have to be to think that

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do we ever not get "literally who" posts when a character gets revealed?
Who the hell said "literally who" to Banjo or any of the classic boomer picks like Ridley and K. Rool? They've been stuffed down the internet's throat for so many years it leaves an aftertaste you won't forget. Same goes with people like Geno.

Though I'll tell you right now, I literally forgot the name of whoever the protagonist of the Granblue gacha is.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I'm playing a lot of Smash. Bought the Fighters Pass after the Byleth reveal and gotta try out all the new characters now, even though I'm almost exclusively using Banjo & Kazooie. That's also why I don't mind having to wait a little longer for FP6 as those 5 characters are pretty much all new to me.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Absolute revisionism.

The concept that showing earthquakes/buildings collapsing the day after people's homes were damaged and 41 people died in an earthquake might warrant discretion like pushing a video back a week is a solid thought and probably a likely one even now.

Grinch leak happened in late October, the earthquake in question happened on the 6th of September.

This was also not a primary indicator or anything but contributing circumstantial evidence.

The facts had been that
  • Isaac had not been revealed as a returning assist trophy while others that people were rooting for to be playable like Zero, Knuckles, Bomberman, Ashley and Krystal had.
  • Golden Sun's new, non-renewal trademark had just been filed.
  • Sakurai had explicitly tweeted out the Rathalos pic, which to this day still looks like, and likely is, a Golden Sun reference.
It was never a rally or a conspiracy. It was circumstantial evidence, a reasonable hypothesis which made sense at the time given what the facts were.

JFC people, I know Donald Trump is the president but that still doesn't mean you can just say things that aren't true and have people accept them.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
No, I don't remember. I don't remember because there weren't as much people unironically thinking that. That was indeed in the air but I never put a lot of value on that theory. But let's be honest, there were several clues (Rathalos tweet, sprout item, etc.) and hopes due to the presence of K. Rool and Ridley and current absence of Isaac that helped mobilize the fanbase. There were a lot going on for Isaac, he was heavily speculated, so obviously some people jumped on this theory, and it wasn't necessarily coming from Isaac fans.

There's a big hit against Dragalia Lost that everybody forget: it is still not out yet in Europe (notably) after a year! :glare:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom