• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
If we get a 2nd FF character, I'll completely understand if it's Sephiroth. He's one of the most iconic villains in video games.

But if it's NOT Sephiroth, then it shouldn't be a FF7 character at all. The rest of the franchise deserves the recognition, even if other FF7 characters are more recognized.
I'd love to see Gilgamesh get drawn into Smash by the promise of "too many swords", plus it'd be a fun way to reference other Square games by having him wield counterfeit gunblades, keyblades, Brotherhood, a knockoff Geno doll...
1581617650967.png

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
If they went with a FFXIV rep it'll most likely be Y'sthola. She was chosen as a playable character in Dissidia Final Fantasy NT, and seems to be pretty popular. The only thing is will they use her White Mage powers or...
her Black Mage powers
Or maybe you can change between the two like a special quirk, while also showing off the class change mechanic of FFXIV.
What I said previously, in my opinion, is that the Warrior of light may be the selected rep, by displaying a wide range of skills from all classes.
Paladin combo on the tilt, dragoon jump on up special, some magic on special and side special. And a limit break.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Y'all remember when Issac fans unironically used the death of hundreds of a earthquake as a conspiracy for there character being in Smash and nobody called them out because y'all was high on the Grinch leak lmao
A lot of Isaac fans actually made sure NOT to make this a thing. A lot of us tried to keep it from becoming a thing. There just so happened to be a few that outweighed the many when it came to being absolutely inconsiderate of what was going on. New users, mostly. Ones that aren't even on the boards anymore.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The number of Isaac fans who believed that you could count on one hand, but the whole fanbase gets to be thrown under the bus because of it. If you go check the thread at the time of the event, you'll see one, maybe two posts a page go "well... maybe" and then literally everyone else disavow such an idea.

Also, people absolutely did and still do call out the fanbase over it. That post is evidence of as much. It's just that Isaac isn't considered topical anymore.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Uh, she could very well be. You're talking about a character that's been around for decades vs a character that's been around for one game, which is the first game in it's franchise that wouldn't be described as incredibly niche.
I'd be surprised if the Shantae franchise's cumulative sales beats Nier Automata's alone. What she has going for her over 2B is longevity and that's really it. There's no way she's more recognizable to a mainstream audience despite being around for longer.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Granblue's licensing isn't messy at all. The only reason why they don't bother with the "official" overseas release is because licensing all the collabs they've had is pretty expensive; and probably wouldn't work with the overseas release anyways. They already have a dedicated group of players outside of Japan as well, so there isn't any point. Officially releasing outside of JP is kind of pointless right now.
If you're not going to localize the main game why include it in a crossover game that has global audience, that'd just alienate a good majority of Smash's audience who can't experience the actual game you're including unless they download it by changing their App Store settings.

Also I was referring to the crossovers, not the actual content itself which is a different story.
I don't really see why they would prioritize Dragalia over GBF. The game isn't successful at all in Japan, and is struggling outside of it. While the FE, Monster Hunter, and Megaman collabs all help it out get some fans, the game still struggles to retain those fans. Smash would pretty much be the same, what's the point to do it if people are still not interested?
...Because it helps with exposure and gives people more incentive to play the actual game itself, and for a Nintendo mobile game it's done well in revenue, only being beaten out by Fire Emblem Heroes, but it could still use the extra push it needs to do better.

I say this as a diehard Xenoblade fan, but I acknowledge if not for Smash it wouldn't have gotten the amount of exposure it did, which is why I think striking the iron while it's hot is a good tactic.
Meanwhile GBF is getting actual console release (not on Nintendo, but still) which shows where Cygames priority lies. Besides Nintendo owns 10% of Cygames, so they both have a common interest in increasing the popularity of the series.
...Because of Dragalia

Nintendo bought 5% of CyGames' stock because they formed a partnership to develop Dragalia Lost, in fact without Dragalia that stock likely would've never been invested in the first place unless they worked on some other project together in the distant future. https://www.cygames.co.jp/en/press/press-531/
Besides this isn't the first time popularity played a big factor in who gets added into Smash first. Persona was chosen over SMT, despite the latter being way closer to Nintendo in recent years. Cloud was chosen over a more Nintendo associated rep. Ryu got in first despite SF 5 being Playstation exclusive.
All of those games have some sort of connection in some shape or form. Joker's from a long-running series with many branches that started out on the Famicom despite his sub-series being primarily a Playstation one, even then spin-offs from the series have found their way to Nintendo consoles and even the sequel is coming out on Switch relatively soon. Cloud is from a franchise that quite literally was born onto Nintendo consoles and even his game originally started as an N64 title before being transferred to the more powerful PlayStation, even then later games found their way back to Nintendo systems and they even published Crystal Chronicles on GameCube. Also do I even need to talk about Ryu? The crossover king himself? From the game that sold 6.3 million units on SNES alone? Cause I don't think Street Fighter 5 alone was enough to stop him from making the cut based on his history alone.
Sure Dragalia is more associated with Nintendo, but at this point Nintendo association isn't the end all be all of who gets added. Especially when we talk about something that hasn't happened yet, such as a mobile character. Really the only exception to the Nintendo tries to prioritize the most popular/well known/mascot character of a 3rd party company is Banjo. But even then Banjo had tons of fan demand, and even Microsoft itself supporting it.
But it isn't a third-party franchise is the thing, it's a first-party franchise co-owned with a third-party company, this isn't like Banjo where the character is entirely owned by Microsoft, this is a franchise Nintendo owns even down to the trademarks: https://trademarks.justia.com/876/55/dragalia-87655619.html

Granblue in contrast is entirely third-party and a franchise Nintendo has almost no involvement in outside of two of the characters being in Dragalia Lost, you can use the popularity argument all you want but it needs to be beneficial to both parties and at the moment I don't see any sort of overlap between Nintendo investing in using characters from a mobile game they have no involvement with in their cartoon fighting game that isn't even out in anywhere outside of Asia, as opposed to a mobile game they are involved with that is in most parts of the world that could use better marketing to help it be a success between both parties.

And that's all I have to say at the moment.

I.D.

Smash Lord
If you're not going to localize the main game why include it in a crossover game that has global audience, that'd just alienate a good majority of Smash's audience who can't experience the actual game you're including unless they download it by changing their App Store settings.
Bro it's a damn browser based game, literally everyone can experience it without jumping through any hoops unlike Europeans have to do with Dragalia.
The fact that everyone uses the same Japanese server is quite convenient as one doesn't have to deal with delayed content, censorship, collaboration characters getting cut, etc. There is barely any benefit to localizing it.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I'd be surprised if the Shantae franchise's cumulative sales beats Nier Automata's alone. What she has going for her over 2B is longevity and that's really it. There's no way she's more recognizable to a mainstream audience despite being around for longer.
On top of that, no Shantae game has close to the amount of critical acclaim that Nier: Automata does. Nier has way more merch too.

Krankees

Smash Ace
A lot speculation has gone into this thread about promotions.

Yet we never talked about regular item promotions.
3619.png

Would it be likely? No. Would it be funny? Yes.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Not a bad idea. There are quite a few characters that I'd prefer never get into Smash as playable, but I'll narrow it down to 10. This is all my opinion. Lower the pitchforks.

1. Dante - All the reasons that you listed. The best incarnation of a playable Dante already exists in MvC 3. Smash won't blow my mind any further than MvC did with his move set. Guaranteed.

2. 2B - Or not 2B... That is the question.. Having played Nier Automata, I can see why her being in Smash would cross some minds. Playable though? No thanks. I did not care for the story at all and its not like she would bring anything "completely unique" to the table. I realize that we are lacking in female DLC, but that can easily go to more iconic characters like Lara Croft, Shantae, Dixie Kong, etc. I would've loved to have Ms. Pac-man.

3. A new Pokemon - I just don't want anymore Pokemon unless they are from Gen 1, which won't happen.

4. Amaterasu - Same reason as Dante.

.That's all I have to say. Have a nice day! :)
so with Amaterasu and dante you are willing to doubt Sakurai after all these years? ok whatever floats your boat.
and yes dante would be very different because unlike umvc 3 he has more movement options and it would play closer to how he actually operates in his own game.

3.you are in the heavy minority on that view.

2. i need you to define what you think makes a fighter unique. 2b is very different from anyone on the roster. youve played the game she is full of unique traits and abilities and attacks.

reading your preferences it really looks like you just dont want non-Nintendo characters or character traditionally associated with Nintendo.

im also curious why you didnt like the nier storyline. but thats neither here nor there.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
All this talk of Final Fantasy has me curious. They’ve rereleased just about every 3D Final Fantasy game except one, and avoided the MMO’s...
What if they add Lightning from Ff13 to Smash?
Then many people will be very disappointed.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Just saying if it can’t be Sora then it’s gotta be Sephiroth if it’s a square rep. Either one would be hella clean.
I mean it could be someone like 2B or even Geno. If guys like Zero, Guile, Knuckles, Alucard, etc are ATs then I don't see Sephiroth becoming playable, at least for this installment.

Maybe one day Smash will begin including secondary third party characters that aren't echo fighters, but I don't think right now is the time.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So what games are you guys playing to pass the time? I'm brushing up on my Fighterz skills (I need to stop playing Base Goku so much, it feels like I never stopped playing him), and I'm waiting for a smash fan game to update so I can play the 6 upcoming characters and a new Sora resprite that looks so amazing.
I'm currently getting through Dragon Quest XI. Surprised at how much I'm enjoying it, I've always liked DQ but I didn't expect it to feel so big and modern.
And one more question: even though NintenZ voiced his thoughts about this earlier, how confident do the rest of you guys feel about Granblue's chances of getting a fighter rep?
Abysmally low, bordering on nonexistent.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean it could be someone like 2B or even Geno. If guys like Zero, Guile, Knuckles, Alucard, etc are ATs then I don't see Sephiroth becoming playable, at least for this installment.

Maybe one day Smash will begin including secondary third party characters that aren't echo fighters, but I don't think right now is the time.
I think at the very least Sephiroth will get Mii Costume’d. Maybe comes with One Winged Angel like how Sans and Cuphead came with costumes

also in terms of Square Enix reps I will push for Neku until I Die

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think they should test the waters with a second Sonic character first. That would probably be the safest and most popular franchise to experiment with.
Why would they need to test the waters? It's not like a franchise getting a second character is something people are against.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So what games are you guys playing to pass the time? I'm brushing up on my Fighterz skills (I need to stop playing Base Goku so much, it feels like I never stopped playing him), and I'm waiting for a smash fan game to update so I can play the 6 upcoming characters and a new Sora resprite that looks so amazing.
I took a break from DQXI but now I'm gonna try and get back into it. Also been playing FighterZ as well (Base Vegeta is just so much fun to play). Of course I've also been playing TF2 a lot like usual.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think they should test the waters with a second Sonic character first. That would probably be the safest and most popular franchise to experiment with.
Not a Sonic fan at all, but yes. It's safe, popular, Sonic has become almost exclusive to Nintendo even and the characters have a long legacy. Honestly I'd choose Knuckles or Tails, with a slight favour to Knuckles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom