• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Question: If there is a Pokémon from Sword & Shield that was chosen as one of the six fighters from FP2, do you think Sakurai and his team might take the extra effort and add some new PokéBall Pokémon? Not many, just a few like 5 or 6.
It would be really cool to see some Gen 8 Pokeball Pokemon, But I doubt they would go through the extra trouble for that.

If they did an Assist Trophy's to go along DLC characters or every major update it would put a lot of hardcore fans in "Panic Mode" and crush people's dream picks and piss a lot of them off.

If I had to be honest I would probably get kick of seeing everyone freaking out about it.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Sorry, but that boat sailed the moment Snake was added in Brawl.

Sakurai has said many times that Smash represents all of gaming now.

And ngl, if Smash didn’t evolve and just stayed stagnant with no third parties/M rated characters, it would honestly be very anti hype imo, and I don’t think the speculation scene would be as active today if they didn’t take risks like that with the newcomers.
Discussion here includes how Smash should be, not just how it is or is likely to be. I find such discussions interesting for their own sake, but if it's too hypothetical for your taste, keep in mind that Smash as a series is probably going to continue, characters will probably be cut, and Sakurai will probably retire.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I know that. What I mean is that western Smash fans believe they're realistic predictions because western gamers are very familiar with them, when that wasn't Nintendo's criteria.
The point Idon made was that Japanese gamers are also very familiar with these characters, and therefore they'd be well within reason to be added.

Your point isn't making any sense here.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Except 2B, Dante, and Sora are from Japanese properties with huge Japanese followings...?
Steve also has a Japanese following despite being Western; Minecraft as a whole is huge there.

I think they also like Crash, correct me if I‘m wrong.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I know that. What I mean is that western Smash fans believe they're realistic predictions because western gamers are very familiar with them, when that wasn't Nintendo's criteria.
Then that's even more of a meaningless statement.

That applies to quite literally everyone with everything. Obviously characters that people are aware of are going to be the ones they think of first when predicting future characters. No one's going to go on google and try to find the most obscure character and predict them for Smash. If a character's popularity is so great that it has both a Japanese and Western audience, then wouldn't that make it more likely? Wouldn't Nintendo or Sakurai or what have you think that including a character with a large international fanbase be an all around good idea?

Seems meaningless to go "YOU ONLY THINK POPULAR CHARACTERS ARE LIKELY BECAUSE THEY'RE POPULAR"

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Devil May Cry has been popular for years, and Dante is a rather well known character from one of the best publishers in the industry.

NieR Automata is a modern day blockbuster, nominated for GOTY and broke into the mainstream, similar to Persona 5. 2B is among a group of characters that have essentially become modern gaming icons, like Joker, Geralt, and others.

Sora is from a mainstream, highly loved RPG series that includes Disney.

All three are popular around the world. I don’t think there’s really any way to say their hype is overrated. Does it mean they’re in Smash? Time will tell, but either way all 3 would be fantastic.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I genuinely believe some of them (especially Terry) wouldn't cause as much hype as reveals of other Nintendo characters would have.
Going to have to stop you right there. I understand that you have an obvious first party preference and you are looking at this through tinted glasses, but have you ever thought that there is an audience outside of this echo chamber?

You saw reactions of people losing their minds to Joker and Banjo, right? And the Japanese demographic freaking out about Hero? Even Terry had people in the FGC and Latin America completely buzzing.

Again, its fine to want first party characters, I get that. But if you honestly believe that Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong would’ve caused more of a stir than those characters, then I’m sorry to say, but I’d suggest that you try and branch outside the Smash echo chamber in terms of the gaming landscape.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I dunno why but I'm feeling either only Travis or Dante is getting in and I'm feeling it'll be Travis given its close ties to Nintendo, being Nintendo exclusive and Sakurai being friends with the creator who states "He won't let Sakurai get away without adding Travis".

There's also NMH3. Makes me think Travis will be FP6.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Ok, Not sure if this was done recently but.. Villain Pass. No rules. No items. Newcomer / DLC Speculation Discussion thread, hazards off. GO.

1) Zoda (StarTropics)
2) Medusa (Kid Icarus)
3) King Hippo (Punch Out!)
4) Metal Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
5) Bass (Megaman)
6) Nightmare (Soul Calibur)

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Does anyone else wonder whether Nintendo's movie and theme park deal with Universal might have affected Disney's desire to work with them? I can't remember seeing any Nintendo characters in Ralph Breaks the Internet, even though the director of Wreck-it-Ralph said he had wanted to feature Mario and Luigi in the first film and kept "looking for the perfect moment or scene to include Mario" while they were writing it, decided against it when that moment never came, and then promised fans of the film, "if we're lucky enough to have a sequel then we'll create that moment that's perfect for him."

I'll bet plenty of people at Disney aren't exactly thrilled about Nintendo's deal with one of their greatest competitors. Especially given Nintendo and Disney have made various business deals throughout the years, dating all the way back to 1959.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
In general.

I dunno why but does anyone ever get that feeling for some reason? They both fit a similar criteria given Dante is from the same creator of Bayonetta and Travis being 2nd party like Bayonetta...
Why would they affect each others chances? Their inclusions would have no bearing on one another at all.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Then that's even more of a meaningless statement.

That applies to quite literally everyone with everything. Obviously characters that people are aware of are going to be the ones they think of first when predicting future characters. No one's going to go on google and try to find the most obscure character and predict them for Smash. If a character's popularity is so great that it has both a Japanese and Western audience, then wouldn't that make it more likely? Wouldn't Nintendo or Sakurai or what have you think that including a character with a large international fanbase be an all around good idea?

Seems meaningless to go "YOU ONLY THINK POPULAR CHARACTERS ARE LIKELY BECAUSE THEY'RE POPULAR"
That's one of the main arguments I always get countered with when I bring up why a Gen 8 Pokemon is possible for season 2.

Me: Um... Ok? That's kind of the reason why.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Anything with Minecraft and Verg should be essentially disregarded because, as I’ve said before, the source that gave it to him was bad.

Because of who it was, Verg had reason to believe it though. I myself can’t blame him and might have believed it myself if I were in his shoes.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Which is something third-party stans also don't get. When your FP2 predictions are something like Crash, Doomguy, 2B, Steve, Dante, and Sora, you're mainly catering to what the general Western gaming audience likes. Likewise, if they were concerned about casuals, FP1 would've been a whole lot different.
Not really, Crash, Steve, Dante, and Sora would be big in Japan too, they're all popular series in Japan as well..just Doom isn't.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah I think we can toss what Vergeben said about Minecraft aside. We’re in a new season now, what he heard starting back in May 2018 would be irrelevant. Steve still has a good shot though.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Lets all be honest no one will ever be 100% right with their predictions. We might get some characters right not all of them.

I know for a fact mine won't.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Going to have to stop you right there. I understand that you have an obvious first party preference and you are looking at this through tinted glasses, but have you ever thought that there is an audience outside of this echo chamber?

You saw reactions of people losing their minds to Joker and Banjo, right? And the Japanese demographic freaking out about Hero? Even Terry had people in the FGC and Latin America completely buzzing.

Again, its fine to want first party characters, I get that. But if you honestly believe that Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong would’ve caused more of a stir than those characters, then I’m sorry to say, but I’d suggest that you try and branch outside the Smash echo chamber in terms of the gaming landscape.
There's an audience for virtually every character outside Smash speculation. You don't judge a character by looking for demographics that haven't been appealed to, especially since every franchise could be considered a "new demographic".
Yes, someone like Terry can create a buzz in Latin America, but that doesn't mean a majority of the world didn't have to go on Google and type in "Who is Terry Bogard?/What is King of Fighters?" shortly after Terry is revealed. Likewise, it's not like a Nintendo character such as Waluigi or Dixie are inferior because there's no single part of the world that would love to have them.

I'm keeping it simple by saying that a more iconic character would usually generate more hype than one that's less iconic. It's subjective, but if you were to reveal Terry, Waluigi, Dixie, and BWD back to back, I don't think Terry would be the one a majority of the world would be jumping up and down for. I also think Waluigi could give Joker a run for his money in terms of worldwide buzz. Whatever disinterest Japan had for him would likely be made up by NA and EU's reaction.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I dunno why but I'm feeling either only Travis or Dante is getting in and I'm feeling it'll be Travis given its close ties to Nintendo, being Nintendo exclusive and Sakurai being friends with the creator who states "He won't let Sakurai get away without adding Travis".

There's also NMH3. Makes me think Travis will be FP6.
Their friendship makes me think that Travis will be the last character in the DLC's run. Purely because that sounds like something that would happen between two close friends. Teasing and mocking each other till the very end.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Their friendship makes me think that Travis will be the last character in the DLC's run. Purely because that sounds like something that would happen between two close friends. Teasing and mocking each other till the very end.
Argh god dammit now I gotta redo the order of my current predictions! :grrr:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yeah I think we can toss what Vergeben said about Minecraft aside. We’re in a new season now, what he heard starting back in May 2018 would be irrelevant. Steve still has a good shot though.
Pretty much since that was all pre-Piranha Plant even, so even if we get Steve as a fighter or costume or Minecraft anything, it wouldn't be Verge calling it since this wouldn't have been part of the plan back then.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Evidence points to Terry getting handpicked by Sakurai because he's a fan of Fatal Fury. Obviously Terry has a lower profile than characters like Banjo or Hero outside of certain regions or the FGC.

But isn't it nice when unexpected and even forgotten characters make it into Smash? Personally I find it more interesting because it shows the developers have passion and respect for those characters, while characters like Master Chief and Sora, while insanely hype, would be very transparent promotional efforts. Back in the days of Smash 4 speculation you had people supporting relatively obscure characters because nobody was thinking about the heaviest hitters of rival companies getting in; now that it seems like it might actually happen, support for them has eclipsed almost every other minor fanbase.

Besides, Smash has given certain characters fantastic new redesigns and even certain franchises a new lease on life. By comparison, Halo and Kingdom Hearts don't exactly need Smash appearances to continue being viable as franchises.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To a general gaming audience, there are absolutely characters that blow Nintendo characters that aren’t series protagonists out of the water.

Dante? Internet breaking, maybe or maybe not on Cloud level (probably not Cloud level).

Crash? Definitely a big deal!

2B? An unexpected but hype pick, probably like Joker.

Waluigi? Has the meme energy and his fans.

Bandanna Waddle Dee?...I don’t really see that one. More power to his fans, but he’s a deviation of a generic enemy with a spear. 4th in line behind the main 3.

Dixie?...again, 4th in line. Has had her own game, sure. But there’s not much reason to add her now, and she doesn’t hit that same hype to a general gaming audience.

*Should also be noted that Waluigi, Dixie, and Bandanna Waddle Dee don’t come from brand new series, which also has implications on the hype for a general gaming audience. Bringing in entirely new stuff is a draw.*

Not every pick has to hit that “mega hype” moment, and “hype” can certainly be subjective. However, when applied to a general audience? Certain characters absolutely blow others out of the water, just as some would do the same to an audience of Nintendo fans.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Probability of overwatch in dlc? Last year some things people had against it were the lack of nintendo connection and overwatch being a single game as opposed to being a series. Overwatch was said to be petering off as well.

Now Overwatch is on switch as well as overwatch 2 confirmed for switch.
I wasnt around for fighter pass character 5 discussion so i was wondering what people thought about it.
I think It seems like it could be a likely nintendo pick given that you could promote the current game recently ported, and the new game up and coming.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
There's an audience for virtually every character outside Smash speculation. You don't judge a character by looking for demographics that haven't been appealed to, especially since every franchise could be considered a "new demographic".
Yes, someone like Terry can create a buzz in Latin America, but that doesn't mean a majority of the world didn't have to go on Google and type in "Who is Terry Bogard?/What is King of Fighters?" shortly after Terry is revealed. Likewise, it's not like a Nintendo character such as Waluigi or Dixie are inferior because there's no single part of the world that would love to have them.

I'm keeping it simple by saying that a more iconic character would usually generate more hype than one that's less iconic. It's subjective, but if you were to reveal Terry, Waluigi, Dixie, and BWD back to back, I don't think Terry would be the one a majority of the world would be jumping up and down for. I also think Waluigi could give Joker a run for his money in terms of worldwide buzz. Whatever disinterest Japan had for him would likely be made up by NA and EU's reaction.
Everyone that you mentioned would be overshadowed by Waluigi, not just Terry. He is on a whole other level of meme level status.

Problem is though, that is pretty much it. He is honestly the only first party left who would cause a truly significant stir imo. Sorry to say, but Dixie, Bandana Dee, Toad, ect would not be on that same level. And the potential shill picks would be a whole other can of worms.

Meanwhile, the amount of internet breaking third parties we have remaining is honestly kind of ridiculous at this point.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
don't get me wrong, I'd love me characters like bwd, but I feel like third parties would offer a whole lot more in terms of hype

for one, there's the new worlds aspect, which makes Smash as a crossover feel that much more grandiose.

When a third party character is added, you're almost always guaranteed new content, especially assuming, with the exception of echoes, Smash seems very keen on keeping 3rd parties a one per franchise thing

meanwhile if they went for most of the top first party picks like say say Dixie, Waluigi, or BWD, they really wouldn't be adding much to the crossover, assuming the content they'd come with is already present in the game in the first place

idk, maybe it's just me

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
don't get me wrong, I'd love me characters like bwd, but I feel like third parties would offer a whole lot more in terms of hype

for one, there's the new worlds aspect, which makes Smash as a crossover feel that much more grandiose.

When a third party character is added, you're almost always guaranteed new content, especially assuming, with the exception of echoes, Smash seems very lenient on keeping 3rd parties a one per franchise thing

meanwhile if they went for most of the top first party picks like say say Dixie, Waluigi, or BWD, they really wouldn't be adding much to the crossover, assuming the content they'd come with is already present in the game in the first place

idk, maybe it's just me
Its not just you.

Everything you said echoes my stance on the matter, 100%.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Personally I feel like Dixie kong is a character who's never happening. If she was happening she probably would have already been added in a past smash game like Brawl and 4.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Hype isn't the only thing that matters.

There's absolutely no reason we can't have both.
And hype isn't solely about having another series/company be represented in Smash. With me and Terry, it was "Are you OK?", not "Copyright SNK."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom