• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Why do you think Sora is the most requested character worldwide? He's heavily requested for sure, but I don't think "most requested on the planet". How good does Sora do in fan polls?
Well, from polls I have seen and "dream rosters" from early Brawl days up to 2020, Sora is always present. So I think he is a very wanted character since a long time. But yeah, it was a bit generous to say that he is the most wanted character now day worldwide.

So I think that sometimes the question is not "who is the most requested character?", instead, it may be "who are the characters that less people will complain if they get in Ultimate?" People want a lot of characters to be playable, I think if we started to count the number of characters in various threads and forums, the list may be go up until 50 or so, so it would be impossible to include all of them. But as there is a character that some want, there are some that will complain about it (like Bylteh recently). I think that Sora is one of the few characters that if he gets in, almost nobody will complain or say something negative.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Master Chief eh? God dammit there goes my current prediction again. I don't know what to believe anymore!!!!

At least though it seems Wright's and 2B's chances seem higher then ever.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Shanoa leaked as Challenger Pack 7 as only 7 people remember her, the source is my cat
Shanoa? I think you mean Sonia Belmont, the evidence was a video that has now been deleted of Sakurai doing coke off a gameboy color box, then proceeding to swing a whip around screaming "Smash direct, Fighter Pass 2."

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I thought I saw an image that showed a past DLC pass and thought it was legit revealed like that back then...my bad lol.

Wasn't following this stuff back then so didn't know how it was handled.
Nope, the only Fighters Pass was the first one that just finished up, before that was Smash 4's DLC which had no set number of characters even and just randomly revealed them like with Fighters Pass.
Ken has a canon last name. Ryu doesn't. That's how you know more thought was put into Ken's character.
Ken legit only has a last name due to Street Fighter II getting merchandise that included figures and Capcom had to give Ken a last name to avoid legal issue with Mattel and their Ken doll for Barbie. Its literally the only reason he has a last name and was actually only a Western name for a while before Capcom decided to incorporate it as well.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Wait what happened to Travis?
His creator said he wasn't going to be in Smash back in 2018 I think this was during Base game but given production of SP1 beginning on that same year its not out of question since development of SP2 and Sakurai's friendship with the creator as well as the latter stating something "He won't let Sakurai get away with adding Travis" I think Travis has a shot again for SP2.
Feeling confident for a Master Chief reveal at this E3 now after seeing that interview.
Indeed. A perfect replacement for the fallen Doom Slayer. One of my most wants now since that deconfirmation.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Master Chief eh? God dammit there goes my current prediction again. I don't know what to believe anymore!!!!

At least though it seems Wright's and 2B's chances seem higher then ever.
?!?!?!?!

Are you referring to the interview?

If anything, his chances completely skyrocketed after that imo.

Idk how that can be perceived as a deconfirmation.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
?!?!?!?!

Are you referring to the interview?

If anything, his chances completely skyrocketed after that imo.

Idk how that can be perceived as a deconfirmation.
My bad I should had been more clear with my post. I currently made an current predictions for SP2 that didn't have Master Chief in it now I'm feeling I'm gonna have to redo it again although I doubt anyone's predictions will ever be fully right.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Okay, can anyone inform me about what this Sora & Master Chief stuff being talked about is and where it came from?
Links would be nice.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At this rate I'm thinking FP6 will be one of the following.

2B
Crash Bandicoot
Travis Touchdown

Thinking Travis Touchdown honestly.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
fyi, the "conversations happened with master chief" quip seems to be pure speculation

let's not start rumors, please

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm going to be honest, I'm going to be miffed if Microsoft gets two characters in one DLC period while Namco didn't get a new character since Base 4.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Hold the phone, where are people getting the idea that Master Chief is happening from the Kinda Funny Games podcast?

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Hold the phone, where are people getting the idea that Master Chief is happening from the Kinda Funny Games podcast?
Because people are assuming that while sora was deconfirmed that he confirmed Nintendo tried to get Chief when that was a prediction and Kahn never spoke on the matter

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that this does not mean that Master Chief is guaranteed to get in at all.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
fyi, the "conversations happened with master chief" quip seems to be pure speculation

Damn, I just told my local news station that Master Chief is absolutely gonna be in Smash.

Boy do I feel like a fool.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
but the Sora thing is concrete, right?
Around the time Byleth was announced, Imran made a post on Era implying that Sora was not happening.

Imran said:
Neiteio said:
Master Chief, Sora and Dante would make waves

Geno would be a lovely fan service gesture

(And maybe why we haven't seen the costume)
I am willing to bet at this point that Sora is not for lack of trying.
Though he didn't clarify his post, it was strongly suspected that he meant Sora wasn't able to be secured, which was confirmed when he mentioned it in the video.

The only question of the matter is when Nintendo approached Disney Japan about Sora. People think the talks were related to Smash 4's Fighter Ballot, but the fact we've only heard about this only a few weeks ago makes me think that talks between Disney JP and Nintendo occurred during Ultimate's development, as I feel that we would heard about these talks much, much earlier if it was related to Smash 4.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Yeah, Imran is the one that's worth listening to in that video, and the only thing he says definitively is that Nintendo tried for Sora but didn't succeed. Master Chief is only in the conversation because they were discussing who would be the biggest possible reveal left.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I can't imagine a world where Microsoft got more than one character and Namco still doesn't get jack****.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So to clear things up.

Truth: Sora got screwed by the Disney Lawyers
Speculation: Nintendo negotiated for Master Chief.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Why do you think Sora is the most requested character worldwide? He's heavily requested for sure, but I don't think "most requested on the planet". How good does Sora do in fan polls?
A daily reminder that fan polls are not indicative of overall popularity in the population of people who play Smash as a whole, and only show popularity within the core Smash Bros. fanbase who take such fan polls.

In the largest fan poll (50,000), however, Sora did get 5th, and had the most voters from offsite. The law of large numbers states the more data we get the closer we get to representing the actual population, and the official Ballot (where Sora's popularity would really come from) got 1.8 million votes worldwide. With the results they get fan polls can only predict a small amount of that. I'm more than confident he's up there in terms of Ballot requests, and wouldn't be surprised if he outpaced Bayonetta at the very least.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Yeah, Imran is the one that's worth listening to in that video, and the only thing he says definitively is that Nintendo tried for Sora but didn't succeed. Master Chief is only in the conversation because they were discussing who would be the biggest possible reveal left.
I haven’t watched the video, but what merits or validity do this man’s words hold? How does he know for certain that Sora isn’t happening?

I’m confused as to why a video game podcaster is being taken as a prophet in regards to Fighter Pass character selections. I feel like that’d be a pretty high level of clearance information within Nintendo.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Honestly, I wouldn't take Imran's comment on Sora as a hard disconfirmation given we don't know when these talks occurred. I'd personally say they happened for either Sm4sh DLC (when Smash wasn't as big and the budget was tight–Sakurai mentions rejected character negotiations for Ballot characters before Bayonetta in his book) or Fighters Pass 1 negotiations (when Smash Ultimate hadn't proven itself as massively successful and brought in Dragon Quest, which is honestly a huge catch–especially in Japan which is where they apparently had problems). I'm really not surprised at his comment at all, nor do I see why it's huge news. I've been saying this the whole time.

I'll gladly acknowledge the tinfoil hat on my head, but I'd say Sora still has a small chance at being in FP2 (*if new negotiations occurred) and solid chances at post-Fighters Pass 2 given Disney's recent stance on video games and Ultimate's huge success. I could even see him as Fighter 11 given that it's kinda odd how Fighter 11 was shown apart from the other 5 within Fighters Pass 2–as if they're a big deal or something. For all we know Nintendo approached Disney at a later time and they succeeded in negotiating for Sora for Fighter 11 or post-pass.

Yeah, things look bad, but I wouldn't give up hope just yet.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So to clear things up.

Truth: Sora got screwed by the Disney Lawyers
Speculation: Nintendo negotiated for Master Chief.
Truth: Sora didn't get in because of licensing issues.
Speculation: "Master Chief is the most likely character now."
Also Speculation: "Yeah, this ain't no low budget DLC if they wanted Master Chief."
Geno thread: "Sora's gone down! It's our time bois!"
Me: *Rolls eyes because I fully expect a new development to come up before the end of the week that'll make everyone change their minds.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I haven’t watched the video, but what merits or validity do this man’s words hold? How does he know for certain that Sora isn’t happening?

I’m confused as to why a video game podcaster is being taken as a prophet in regards to Fighter Pass character selections. I feel like that’d be a pretty high level of clearance information within Nintendo.
The podcaster in question is Imran Khan, Game Informer's former senior editor, who is known to be highly reputable in the general gaming industry.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
All my hopes and dreams for Fighter Pass Volume 2. have been dashed upon the rocks. I honestly don’t care who gets in now (yes, I will still purchase the Pass.), because my #1 most wanted won’t be there.

I have wanted Sora in Smash for over a decade now. This news is truly upsetting to me. I could cry.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So Nintendo did approach Microsoft for Master chief, I wonder if he will be playable or the conversation leads to nothing.
They were just speculating about the Master Chief part. BUT if they happened, there’s no way Microsoft said no if Nintendo approached them first.

They were apparently really easy to work with on Banjo & MS is currently trying to repair Halo’s image after the disastrous launch of Master Chief Collection & Halo 5 being crappy. Chief in Smash would be a great way to help do that.

I could see the reverse happening though. Microsoft approaching Nintendo about Chief & Nintendo passing. I really hope that didn’t happen. Losing Jill/Leon, Doom Slayer & now Sora in the past couple months has hurt, I’m not ready to lose hope on Chief.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

He's a guy with a ton of connections in the industry to he would have heard something along these lines

Although I did hear he also said Dragon quest wasn't happening in smash so that's something else to think on.

D

Deleted member

That former Game Informer writer said Disney Japan rejected Sora in Smash, but he never said anything about Disney America ThinkEmoji

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom