• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
So, here's what I feel is an interesting discussion topic.
A Bandai Namco series that hasn't been speculated on.
.hack
It has a lot of original video game series, but its a media franchise similar to how the Fate series is now, but it was always meant to be a multi-media franchise and it began with an Anime Series (.hack//Sign) before moving into the .hack video games, manga, anime, anime tie-in, etc...but its also owned by a video game company and even saw its characters included in the Project x Zone series (using the first .hack games and eventually the .hack//GU games).
Like, are we going by what the franchise began with or what media the characters used are originally from?
I'm so glad someone else finally brought up .hack. People seriously consider Agumon for some reason but don't even think about .hack when it's literally in the same situation (even the same company) and is more based around video games than Digimon is.

I.D.

Smash Lord
why don't they just move over to mobile game development and push all their mobile brands over anything else, that'll make them way more money and we'll get more great decisions from Nintendo like monthly paid passes. it doesn't matter if -you- don't like it, it makes money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POoIZWjHA-g
View attachment 261200
What FE Heroes cheerleaders neglect to tell you every time they brag about how it's made six gorillion dollars and therefore is now more profitable than Zelda (it isn't) is that spending on the game has dramatically decreased every year which is why they are now resorting to this shady subscription model to milk what's left of the playerbase as much as possible.

Not to mention that once Heroes ends service, that's it. Nintendo can just make Breath of the Wild 2 and have it sell another 10 million copies, but they can't just make Heroes 2.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Looking at the fighter pass i think the next one is gonna be good for sure because all the characters shown so far have added something gameplay wise. Everybody seems really well made.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm so glad someone else finally brought up .hack. People seriously consider Agumon for some reason but don't even think about .hack when it's literally in the same situation (even the same company) and is more based around video games than Digimon is.
Didn't Digimon start out as electronic entertainment? I'm not familiar with .hack nor do I mean any disrespect but if it started as an anime then I'm going to say Digimon has the edge of being more gaming based due to it starting out as a game

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wasn't there like... an anime or something that came out before the game? //sign or whatever coding lingo they called it?

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Didn't Digimon start out as electronic entertainment? I'm not familiar with .hack nor do I mean any disrespect but if it started as an anime then I'm going to say Digimon has the edge of being more gaming based due to it starting out as a game
Yeah Digimon started as the tamagachis. .hack started as the .hack//SIGN anime which released two months before the .hack PS2 games, and didn't even share the same characters.

Now, I personally don't think Agumon or a .hack character have a shot at all, but it is just weird to me that people were so willing to think the digital pet thing "totally makes it okay guys" when how the hell do we know if Nintendo even knows about Digimon being digital pets before an anime?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Who knows what Sakurai thinks? I'm pretty sure the character has to originate in a video game to have a support thread here, though.
Yeah, its mostly just in regards to us and what speculate Sakurai thinks.
I mean, Kite & Haseo originate from a Video Game, .hack and .hack//GU respectively.
Infact, its somewhat interesting that .hack//Sign was the first project but the second project, Kite's games, are known by .hack with a subtitle and that its not the other way around.
Hack is in a weird place, like is the Witcher.
I like the world, there are also a lot of music's and specific tunes associated to Hack I would like (the desktop, Aqua Mac Anu, Skeith theme...). A Hack rep has nearly zero chance to happen, but I would be hyped!
.hack is in an even weirder place than Witcher in my opinion. Like Geralt originated in a book, not much dancing around that, but characters like Kite and Haseo originated in video games despite their series beginning with an anime.
I'm quite surprised myself, I mean, people have brought up much more obscure series than .hack (I myself brought up Senran Kagura for example..and Fate if you only look at the Western side of things).
I'd legit be pretty hype for Haseo, especially if we went with his scythe wielding incarnation since that would be pretty different from anything included thus far (aside from using the Death's Scythe item).

.hack is a weird case. The companies involved had always planned on having the franchise be a multi-media one, planning out an anime and a game series at the same time, hence the video game releasing 2 months after the anime..because of how long it takes to develop a game versus how long it takes to develop an anime, I'm willing to bet that despite the anime releasing first, the video game released first. The games also do not feature the same characters as the anime, even if some designs can be shared due to using the same character class (it is an online RPG in-canon..think Sword Art Online but this came a LONG time before that).
However, its down to how do we look at Sakurai's meaning..are we going by game series only or game characters only?

Krankees

Smash Ace
Kite and Haseo were in Project X Zone 1 and 2. So I think Bandai considers them video game characters.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
.hack was a multimedia project that was designed to be an anime and a video game at the same time.

Kinda like how Strider was a manga and video game designed to compliment each other.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah Digimon started as the tamagachis. .hack started as the .hack//SIGN anime which released two months before the .hack PS2 games, and didn't even share the same characters.

Now, I personally don't think Agumon or a .hack character have a shot at all, but it is just weird to me that people were so willing to think the digital pet thing "totally makes it okay guys" when how the hell do we know if Nintendo even knows about Digimon being digital pets before an anime?
Ok yeah 2 months difference changes that.

Tbf Nintendo's a business, so they should know that beforehand

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I've thought about .hack before in a sort of thought exercise where you think of a lesser-speculated character from a highly speculated company.

For example, potential Capcom candidates would be Dante, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, but what about a good candidate that's not them? Someone like Super Joe from Bionic Commando or Gene from God Hand would be an example. Or think Sega, where Arle has become a big discussion point, but let's consider characters like Beat from Jet Set Radio or Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles.

It's an interesting thing to think about even though it seems unrealistic as all third parties have brought either their mascots or very important recent characters. I'd love for season 2 to prove me wrong and we get a totally oddball company pick in place of a more expected one.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I've thought about .hack before in a sort of thought exercise where you think of a lesser-speculated character from a highly speculated company.

For example, potential Capcom candidates would be Dante, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, but what about a good candidate that's not them? Someone like Super Joe from Bionic Commando or Gene from God Hand would be an example. Or think Sega, where Arle has become a big discussion point, but let's consider characters like Beat from Jet Set Radio or Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles.

It's an interesting thing to think about even though it seems unrealistic as all third parties have brought either their mascots or very important recent characters. I'd love for season 2 to prove me wrong and we get a totally oddball company pick in place of a more expected one.
Gene would be too violent as there's no pain worse than a flick to the nuts, which is so important for him it's in his theme song

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Gene would be too violent as there's no pain worse than a flick to the nuts, which is so important for him it's in his theme song
This is true!

In that case, let's replace him wtih Ryu from Breath of Fire (all of them). Just add Ryu Hayabusa and we'd have 3 distinct Ryus in the game.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Not including Vyse from Skies of Arcadia, for shame.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
“Nintendo probably doesn’t know” is a pretty weak counterargument made entirely on the assumption that Nintendo of all companies doesn’t know that a video games series, that’s on their own consoles btw, is actually a video game series. I know it’s a common fan misconception that Digimon is an anime first and everything else second, but it’s very unlikely that extends to a studio as big and storied as Nintendo, if anyone knows their video game history, it's Nintendo. It also needs to be said that the original Digimon virtual pet was actually pretty successful in Japan, selling 13 million units against the 1 million that were sold overseas, so who knows whether that misconception even exists in Japan.

Furthermore, Digimon World also came out before the anime, and that’s a fully fledged PS1 game that would spawn the series’ main video game line, so the anime wasn’t even the series’ first venture outside the virtual pet space. It only released before the anime in Japan though, so I can understand that the misconception exists in the west when you also factor in the virtual pet's relatively low success, and that the anime would go on to be its most successful product by a landslide, but in the context of Smash what happens in Japan is what actually matters.

Agumon is super unlikely for a multitude of actually substantial reasons (Namco competition, franchise decline and lack of long term impact, only appealing to a very specific generation, Digivolution mechanic potentially bringing with it the workload of developing several characters), but a misconception isn’t one of them.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
ok guys i got a source that conveniently fits with the theory that ive made (but i didn't make up the leak like some people have i swear) and he told me that Erdrick is gonna be in smash
I'm willing to bet my account that Erdrick isn't in Smash because there's no way Square would ever choose him over Geno.

Like, come on dude, you're better than this!

Kokiden

Smash Ace
No, they didn't. It would have been too easy to guess what characters were coming. Like look at Terry's leak..all we had to go off of was SNK and practically everyone knew it was Terry. If they gave us just the title of the series it would be way too easy to tell who got in..I mean, lets do an example..
Super Mario RPG
Kingdom Hearts
Devil May Cry
Fate/stay night
Kunio-kun
NieR
Disgaea
Pokémon
Of those, the only one that would really be hard to guess would be Pokémon and maybe Disgaea (though lets be real, it'd clearly be Laharl). There'd be no reason to leave the slots blank or with question marks when we all knew who was coming, it would legit just become 'what will they look like' or, for characters like Sora or Dante, 'what design will they use'..and that's much less interesting for Speculation and it would make their eventual reveal less impactful.
I thought I saw an image that showed a past DLC pass and thought it was legit revealed like that back then...my bad lol.

Wasn't following this stuff back then so didn't know how it was handled.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Listen, I don't give a damn if Terry is throwing and adjusting his invisible hat, give me my ****ing Garou alt.

View attachment 261216

If Little Mac can toss his invisible Sweatclothes off him, I wanna say Terry can toss an invisible hat.
I want that as an alt so badly that I'd pay for it as an extra costume for Terry. 5, 10 dollars... I don't care lol

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What exactly is .hack? I think I've heard the name before but I think it was a Yume Nikki fan game...Or am I just thinking of .flow?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I definitely know the .hack games more than the anime and I think they'd count since Kite is definitely considered a videogame character in Bamco's eyes. I have a big soft spot for them. I remember being annoyed at the cliffhanger at the end of the first one but also wanting more. I think it was the first "trapped in the internet" piece of media i ever consumed and as a result I'll always end up comparing others to it.

I always really liked the code word and randomly generated world system and how they'd hide code words in other media. It was really clever. Kite would be a really fun pick.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What exactly is .hack? I think I've heard the name before but I think it was a Yume Nikki fan game...Or am I just thinking of .flow?
Yeah, .flow is a Yume Nikki fangame.

source: I was a die hard Yume Nikki fan from 2010 - 2014 but it’s since fizzled a bit

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If Fighter 6 is going to take as long as E3, I wonder if they'll expand on Stage Builder. Like give it target test and add an adventure mode to it. That'd be kind of cool.

D

Deleted member

If Fighter 6 is going to take as long as E3, I wonder if they'll expand on Stage Builder. Like give it target test and add an adventure mode to it. That'd be kind of cool.
If so, I'd like to see them expand on the game's innate tournament setting.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles
It didn't occur to me once, but Valkyria Chronicles would be cool.

What exactly is .hack?
Wikipedia
It is a multimedia franchise, that started with an anime and a game. It is an isekai and one of the first that revolves around a virtual world, a MMORPG known as "The World", where it happens to have weird things that happen in it, including a virus that makes people locked into the game or which causes some players to go into a coma.
The first game was, in fact, a serie of 4 games. It follows the story of Kite, a player who try to discover why some users have become comatose and who gains the power of the Twilight Bracelet, an artefact that makes him able to hack the game.
The games received mixed reviews, but the premise of it was great. I would love to see remakes.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If Sega's crossover mobile games are any indication they'd probably go with Alicia Melchiott as a Valkyria Chronicles rep, with Welchin and the squad as the final smash. That'd be pretty awesome.

I don't think it's gonna happen, but if we can't have the real Target Test, this would be more than a suitable replacement.

Actually, I'd prefer being able to add Targets (and platforms like in Board the Platforms) to my custom stages than getting full fledged Target Stages by this point.

Folt

Smash Ace
If that's the case then when should Smash Bros bother putting in characters that already exist and just go the Street Fighter route of making brand new and unique characters? I'm not asking for super old character, I'm say wait and let the character be at least a year old before you start shoving them into games. Let the character grow and be established before you put all your money on this newcomer. Imagine if Three Houses came out and it was a bad game; glitchy, have terrible characters and a bad story. If the game the characters don't matter and it's just about the moveset then there is zero reason for Smash Bros to be a crossover fighting game and should just start making up characters.
But Three Houses wasn't a bad game. Didn't have terrible glitches, didn't have terrible characters, nor had a bad story. And that's quite frankly one of the reasons to pick a character from Three Houses for a recent pick. (Mostly because if anyone would know that a game isn't gonna be a flop, it's going to be the developers working on the game at that moment.) Also, if they did wait a year before selecting a character, that character would just be yet another dated character. Byleth was chosen because by the time he would be released for Smash DLC, he would be a fresh character whose game is out in or around the same year as his inclusion. It's basically "Hey! This character whose game just came out can fight against these very same characters in Smash! How cool is that?!" And I wouldn't want to trade such a moment for any other kind in the world.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So, here's what I feel is an interesting discussion topic.
A Bandai Namco series that hasn't been speculated on.
.hack
It has a lot of original video game series, but its a media franchise similar to how the Fate series is now, but it was always meant to be a multi-media franchise and it began with an Anime Series (.hack//Sign) before moving into the .hack video games, manga, anime, anime tie-in, etc...but its also owned by a video game company and even saw its characters included in the Project x Zone series (using the first .hack games and eventually the .hack//GU games).
Like, are we going by what the franchise began with or what media the characters used are originally from?
I never even stopped to think about this, I haven't played all of .Hack but I consider myself a fan thanks to the HD collection of GU. It would be cool to have Mac Anu as a stage.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I'm still banking on FP6 until E3. Earliest though I see is March/April.
Since we never get Smash directs nowadays and Nintendo directs never happen in Spring, there really isn’t a venue for them to reveal it. It wouldn’t make much sense for them to reveal it like they did with Byleth and technically Robin and Lucina in Smash 4 as the first character will be what settles if people buy the pass until the second character is revealed unless they reveal it in a nindies showcase or something which sure as heck isn’t happening. It’s pretty much February or E3 with the latter being infinitely more likely

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since we never get Smash directs nowadays and Nintendo directs never happen in Spring, there really isn’t a venue for them to reveal it. It wouldn’t make much sense for them to reveal it like they did with Byleth and technically Robin and Lucina in Smash 4 as the first character will be what settles if people buy the pass until the second character is revealed unless they reveal it in a nindies showcase or something which sure as heck isn’t happening. It’s pretty much February or E3 with the latter being infinitely more likely
If that's the case if nothing this month then E3 it is.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
So is it pretty much guaranteed to see someone from Sega again this time around, with 6 reps open? Question is who would be their choice, Bayonetta and Joker seemed like easy enough picks...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If Sega's crossover mobile games are any indication they'd probably go with Alicia Melchiott as a Valkyria Chronicles rep, with Welchin and the squad as the final smash. That'd be pretty awesome.
This, Selvaria might be the series mascot but she's also the villain of the first game, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to do the villain instead of the heroes which are Alicia and Welkin.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
So what kind of budget do these fighter passes even have?
The videos for their reveal probably take a bit to make, especially the ones that really try to re-create the style and look of their original game. I don't know if they've ever gotten into the juicy details on how much each fighter takes... But it definitely takes time and money.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So is it pretty much guaranteed to see someone from Sega again this time around, with 6 reps open? Question is who would be their choice, Bayonetta and Joker seemed like easy enough picks...
Arle Nadja and Kiryu seemed the be the most front runner ups so I imagine probably one of them.

In terms of an Sonic rep. Perhaps Tails or Eggman?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Spoiler: Deconfirmation list
Nathan Drake

Goku

Joker Buffs

Lana from Pokemon Sun and Moon

Ganondorf with a more unique moveset

Silver the Hedgehog

Ronald Mcdonald

Iron Man

The Hulk

Darth Vader

Lego Darth Vader

Dante (Dante's Inferno)

My Mom

My Dad

Freddy Fazbear

Super Meatboy

CJ (Grand Theft Auto)

Sly Cooper
I literally can't take you seriously with most of these "Disconfirmations"

You also have no credibility or trackrecord whatsoever and it really just seems like you're trying to immitate Sabi or Vergeben so I don't know why we should believe you.

Faso115

Smash Lord
My sources claim that Megamam is getting removed and replaced with Geno.

Trust me guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom