• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Since they've already announced that the 6 fighters have already been chosen, I'd rather they just show us a template with the series name that got in, and a ? for the actual character.

Didn't they do this for past smash games?

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Since we're on an Indie topic....

Which Indie characters would you personally like to see as a costume? Ones that are unlikely to be fighters or won't work but may fit as costumes.

I have quite a few ideas. Jacket from Hotline Miami as a Mii Swordsman(With the sword being a bat), Isaac(Bind of Isaac, not Golden Sun) as a Mii Gunner, and Juan Aguacate from Guacamelee as a Mii Brawler.

Just some personal ideas but ones I'd like to see as Premium Mii costumes.
• Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer) Swordfighter w/ Disco Descent
• Hat Kid (A Hat in Time) Swordfighter w/ Your Contract Has Expired
• Also, not a premium Mii costume, but maybe an Untitled Goose Game Mii hat or something

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Since they've already announced that the 6 fighters have already been chosen, I'd rather they just show us a template with the series name that got in, and a ? for the actual character.

I kinda wish they did a Mortal Kombat X style thing where they just reveal every character all at once tbh. The wait would be killer but the initial reveal would be crazy and we'd know everyone from the get-go.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I agree Reimu has a shot, but that 4chan post is obviously fake.

Not even worth humoring.
Agreed. I'm not even used to Smash Ultimate leaks, although I did manage to predict Cloud Strife coming to Smash 4 and I did NOT post it to the Internet. But anyways, here's three fighters who I want for Smash Ultimate's second Fighters Pass (For some reason Dragon Ball FighterZ has a Fighters Pass as well, called the FighterZ Pass. Huh.).

1. Zero (the Mega Man Zero version, don't give me that Spirits deconfirm BS, Zero HAS potential for a moveset. You could combine Zero's moves from the Mega Man X series with his moves from the Mega Man Zero series, like I did here.)

2. Nakoruru or Rera, both from the Samurai Shodown series. I know Nakoruru's a Spirit, but she still has a potential for moveset, as well as Rera.

3. Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy VII. Seriously, we NEED, and I mean NEED more Final Fantasy reps. And Vincent Valentine, with his unique Limit Breaks with him turning into F**KING HORROR MOVIE MONSTERS and him having a gun called Death Penalty, would really be a good fit for the cast.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I kinda wish they did a Mortal Kombat X style thing where they just reveal every character all at once tbh. The wait would be killer but the initial reveal would be crazy and we'd know everyone from the get-go.
I think I'd rather have it like Injustice 2 with them revealing a portion of characters and saving the rest for later cause God if my favorite character is FP11, I won't be able to handle waiting a year and a half for them to release it.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Nintendo will literally never ever ever show what the Fighters are at the start because the endless speculation and arguing is good for business and advertizing. Even hints like what series they're from or companies will turn people not interesting in any of them off, or give them enough information to know they don't need the season pass and can just buy the ones they like.

Also they like watching people squirm, that's probably a factor.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I get the vibe they really do enjoy this during smash speculation season.

Like I really have this mental image of some of the smash bros staff reading all these Bat**** insane theories with popcorn in hand.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo will literally never ever ever show what the Fighters are at the start because the endless speculation and arguing is good for business and advertizing. Even hints like what series they're from or companies will turn people not interesting in any of them off, or give them enough information to know they don't need the season pass and can just buy the ones they like.

It's a double edged sword as I can see it. This endless argument just brings out the worst in people...even me.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Honestly the Touhou thing is really strange because I don't remember a single soul talking about it during the Brawl and Smash 4 eras.

Like honestly the first time I ever even heard about this series was when I saw people pushing for Reimu on /v/, and quite frankly at the time I legitimately thought it was just some sick attempt at trolling Smash fans, much like what happened with Steve of Minecraft fame. But then I visit forums ResetERA and this place where I see people legitimately support her and I'm like "what?"
Little late, but I'll give my response. It has a lot to do with both how Touhou's been branching out lately and how Smash has really opened the door in terms of 3rd party picks. During Brawl, I never would have thought Touhou had a chance despite it being big. In terms of 3rd parties Sonic was the one most people wanted, same with me. Doesn't help that since they were new to Brawl there really was no way to gauge just who would be implemented. Touhou, at the time, was still largely kept in the Doujin scene on PCs.

Not much changed for the 3DS and Wii U era either. It wasn't until 2015 that Touhou finally got a fan game Console port (Probably just a bit earlier in Japan). Then Ultimate happened and Joker was revealed. That's what really opened the doors and made me start thinking Reimu was a real possibility. Since Genso Bullet released in 2015, more and more fan games have been getting console ports and even one of the official fighting games is on PS4 in Japan right now with another one on the way (that's also releasing on Switch). If all that wasn't enough, ZUN said in March of 2019 that he would love to have Touhou in Smash which really made the Touhou fanbase as a whole open up to the idea.

To put it into a little bit of a perspective, Touhou fans are likely in every fandom you'll come across. They mostly keep their Touhou interest to themselves, but when given an opportunity to present itself, they will come out in large fashion. Just think of it like the Jojo fanbase except not as obnoxious.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I know barely nothing about Reimu, I mean, I knew Touhou as a franchise years ago, but not much more than that. That said, I'd completely open to Reimu in Smash, I think she would be pretty nice and I always find super cool to know more about characters or franchises that maybe I already knew of it's existence. These kind of picks are, in my opinion, super exciting and a nice change of pace. It brings fresh air for me, like happened with Terry.

I think (and I hope) that we will get at least one fighter of that type in pass 2.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Honestly the Touhou thing is really strange because I don't remember a single soul talking about it during the Brawl and Smash 4 eras.

Like honestly the first time I ever even heard about this series was when I saw people pushing for Reimu on /v/, and quite frankly at the time I legitimately thought it was just some sick attempt at trolling Smash fans, much like what happened with Steve of Minecraft fame. But then I visit forums ResetERA and this place where I see people legitimately support her and I'm like "what?"
Is it a bad thing for a character's fanbase to seriously build itself up just recently?

I really don't get this argument at all.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I would add to this assessment: while certainly Reimu was not speculated whatsoever in the Brawl era, I would say Touhou wasn't entirely unknown at that time to Smashers, and that's because (anecdote) Touhou music was included very frequently on modded Brawl music packs, including seeing tournament use.

There is some online evidence of people interested in Reimu and Touhou in Smash 4, but it really only is a few blog posts here and there. Still, the seeds were there, and I believe many people didn't voice their mind from a sense of futility.

The events that seem to have catapulted Reimu to the limelight of common speculation are, in rough order: the Source Gaming RTC, Joker's reveal, the Reimu for Smash twitter account, various false rumors, and ZUN's blessing. Each has increased momentum steadily.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
User was warned for this post
So Smashboards, I posted this in Smashfaqs but I'll also post this here since it's really important

So I actually got to talk to an inside source, and he allowed me to share info

First of all, all the Deconfirmations in this topic are correct

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78385583

if you don't want to go to Gamefaqs he is Deconfirmation list

Toad

Captain Toad

Dixie

Nathan Drake

Sora

Phoenix Wright

Professor Layton

Gunvolt

Scorpion

Sub-Zero

Goku

Shovel Knight

Pokemon from Sword and Shield

Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Sol Badguy

Ragna the Bloodedge

Ryu Hayubusa

Joker Buffs

Crash Bandicoot

Lana from Hyrule Warriors

Lana from Pokemon Sun and Moon

2B

Doomguy

Tracer

Travis Touchdown

Ganondorf with a more unique moveset

Silver the Hedgehog

Kazuma Kiryu

Ronald Mcdonald

Iron Man

The Hulk

Darth Vader

Lego Darth Vader

Nightmare

Dante (Dante's Inferno)

Mallow

Euden (Dragonlia Lost)

Lloyd Irving

Zero

Knuckles

Morrigan

Steve from Minecraft

My Mom

My Dad

Arle

Freddy Fazbear

Super Meatboy

CJ (Grand Theft Auto)

Sly Cooper

Tabuu

Second of all, No I don't know ALL the characters. I do Know two of them though

Master Chief will be Playable in Super Smash Bros

But there is another character that Rarely anyone is Speculating, Until Now. there is a reason I've been confident in this character. but now with my inside Source I can safely and hypely say

Shadow the Hedgehog will be Playable in Super Smash Bros

I Don't know if this Inside Source is connected to Sabi, Vergeben, FatmanonIce, or whoever. I didn't ask him about that.

My source is a pretty cool guy. He saw i wanted Shadow in smash so he just told me he was Playable. I'm so excited guys, I hope you are too

However besides the Deconfirmations, there is other possible Dissapointing news

I got info on a Few Mii Costumes as well

Crash Bandicoot, Sora, Lloyd (again), and Gunvolt are Mii costumes

I know that these characters are really popular...well maybe not Gunvolt that much, But I've Played his games and he's cool. I'm so sorry

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

I Don't know if this Inside Source is connected to Sabi, Vergeben, FatmanonIce, or whoever. I didn't ask him about that.

My source is a pretty cool guy. He saw i wanted Shadow in smash so he just told me he was Playable. I'm so excited guys, I hope you are too
You're being ****ed with.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I know barely nothing about Reimu, I mean, I knew Touhou as a franchise years ago, but not much more than that. That said, I'd completely open to Reimu in Smash, I think she would be pretty nice and I always find super cool to know more about characters or franchises that maybe I already knew of it's existence. These kind of picks are, in my opinion, super exciting and a nice change of pace. It brings fresh air for me, like happened with Terry.

I think (and I hope) that we will get at least one fighter of that type in pass 2.
That's why I always support and vouch for characters like Reimu. I mean yes, someone like Master Chief would be cool and that Geno and Sora are heavily requested but a lot of people know about them, even if it's mostly due to smash requests in Geno's case.

I do feel we may get one or two characters of that calibur. It's certainly fun to see them get in alongside the major requests. It's why whenever I see predictions with nothing but 100% major requests, I feel like they ain't accurate due to how Sakurai is.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So Smashboards, I posted this in Smashfaqs but I'll also post this here since it's really important

Toad

Captain Toad

Dixie

Nathan Drake

Sora

Phoenix Wright

Professor Layton

Gunvolt

Scorpion

Sub-Zero

Goku

Shovel Knight

Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Sol Badguy

Ragna the Bloodedge

Ryu Hayubusa

Joker Buffs

Crash Bandicoot

2B

Doomguy

Tracer

Travis Touchdown

Silver the Hedgehog

Kazuma Kiryu

Ronald Mcdonald

Iron Man

The Hulk

Darth Vader

Lego Darth Vader

Nightmare

Dante (Dante's Inferno)

Mallow

Euden (Dragonlia Lost)

Lloyd Irving

Zero

Knuckles

Morrigan

Steve from Minecraft

My Mom

My Dad

Arle

Freddy Fazbear

Super Meatboy

CJ (Grand Theft Auto)

Sly Cooper

Tabuu

But there is another character that Rarely anyone is Speculating, Until Now. there is a reason I've been confident in this character. but now with my inside Source I can safely and hypely say

I know that these characters are really popular...well maybe not Gunvolt that much, But I've Played his games and he's cool. I'm so sorry
Now THIS is ****posting.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Toad

Captain Toad

Dixie

Nathan Drake

Sora

Phoenix Wright

Professor Layton

Gunvolt

Scorpion

Sub-Zero

Goku

Shovel Knight

Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Sol Badguy

Ragna the Bloodedge

Ryu Hayubusa

Joker Buffs

Crash Bandicoot

2B

Doomguy

Tracer

Travis Touchdown

Silver the Hedgehog

Kazuma Kiryu

Ronald Mcdonald

Iron Man

The Hulk

Darth Vader

Lego Darth Vader

Nightmare

Dante (Dante's Inferno)

Mallow

Euden (Dragonlia Lost)

Lloyd Irving

Zero

Knuckles

Morrigan

Steve from Minecraft

My Mom

My Dad

Arle

Freddy Fazbear

Super Meatboy

CJ (Grand Theft Auto)

Sly Cooper

Tabuu

>Sora as a Mii Costume

HAHAHAHAHA... no.

Disney wouldn’t waste a lot of negotiation on a mere Mii Costume or Spirit. It’s literally all or nothing for Sora

Krankees

Smash Ace
I want to get into the Touhou fandom but I'm finding it hard to tell if they're a bunch of elitists or memers.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
>Sora as a Mii Costume

HAHAHAHAHA... no.

Disney wouldn’t waste a lot of negotiation on a mere Mii Costume or Spirit. It’s literally all or nothing for Sora
One thing I will say is that the Process of getting a Sora Mii Costume and a Sora Playable character would be different. yes both need the use of getting rights, but with a Mii Costume you don't have to worry about getting Sora's Model Absolutly perfect like with a Costume, Nor any stage, music, Moveset Accuracy, and also have to deal with putting Disney Orignal influences in the game like Donald, Goofy, and Mickey

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I want to get into the Touhou fandom but I'm finding it hard to tell if they're a bunch of elitists or memers.
The sides of the fandom that embody that the least are the artists and music remixers. But yeah, expect lots and lots of touhou memes; memes are the the DNA of community, yadadada, insert Revengence clip here Raiden for Smash

UnknownTemptation

Smash Rookie
Quit trying to advertise your channel.
Definitely not my channel unless you’re talking about that person who posted this lol. This was pretty much thought to be a fake leak. It was only something I saw and wanted to share at first but this is pretty much disproven and disregarded.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I talked with my source (who correctly predicted Byleth in Smash) and they told me 3 of the 6 characters: Baboom, Don Quixote, and [REDACTED]. I couldn't believe it when they contacted me out of the blue and gave me all this Smash info. But it's totally legit I swear.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

No, they didn't. It would have been too easy to guess what characters were coming. Like look at Terry's leak..all we had to go off of was SNK and practically everyone knew it was Terry. If they gave us just the title of the series it would be way too easy to tell who got in..I mean, lets do an example..
Super Mario RPG
Kingdom Hearts
Devil May Cry
Fate/stay night
Kunio-kun
NieR
Disgaea
Pokémon
Of those, the only one that would really be hard to guess would be Pokémon and maybe Disgaea (though lets be real, it'd clearly be Laharl). There'd be no reason to leave the slots blank or with question marks when we all knew who was coming, it would legit just become 'what will they look like' or, for characters like Sora or Dante, 'what design will they use'..and that's much less interesting for Speculation and it would make their eventual reveal less impactful.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Some rando cool guy on *checks notes*... Twitch Chat just told me we'd be getting Baboom, Yodasumi, Baby Peanut and Geno.

Wow it's so cool, I totally believe them.

Krankees

Smash Ace
No, they didn't. It would have been too easy to guess what characters were coming. Like look at Terry's leak..all we had to go off of was SNK and practically everyone knew it was Terry. If they gave us just the title of the series it would be way too easy to tell who got in..I mean, lets do an example..
Super Mario RPG
Kingdom Hearts
Devil May Cry
Fate/stay night
Kunio-kun
NieR
Disgaea
Pokémon
Of those, the only one that would really be hard to guess would be Pokémon and maybe Disgaea (though lets be real, it'd clearly be Laharl). There'd be no reason to leave the slots blank or with question marks when we all knew who was coming, it would legit just become 'what will they look like' or, for characters like Sora or Dante, 'what design will they use'..and that's much less interesting for Speculation and it would make their eventual reveal less impactful.
I'll throw in one more example that's obvious.
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The biggest hurdle with getting Sora in smash is that Byleth already used the too many Swordfighters joke and that's the perfect way of showcasing Keyblade transformations into his trailer where for his special is he wields a gun.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Three paths stand before you...also I'm not going to make posts like this a habit I swear.

So, I've already posted my dream Volume 2. Here it is again!

I also wanted to give myself a challenge where I substituted every character with a character from the same company (with the exception of the fifth fighter, who is a wildcard).

And finally, the Golden Deer completely wacky path where I put all my totally unrealistic fun choices with no sense of it ever happening and zero expectation thereof:

Choose wisely, traveller. Also trying to merge timelines gets you locked onto Pass 3 for...reasons. Also I realized I could make a billion of these things for fun, surprisingly relaxing.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Three paths stand before you...also I'm not going to make posts like this a habit I swear.

I also wanted to give myself a challenge where I substituted every character with a character from the same company (with the exception of the fifth fighter, who is a wildcard).

And finally, the Golden Deer completely wacky path where I put all my totally unrealistic fun choices with no sense of it ever happening and zero expectation thereof:

Choose wisely, traveller. Also trying to merge timelines gets you locked onto Pass 3 for...reasons. Also I realized I could make a billion of these things for fun, surprisingly relaxing.
The one with Neku cause I NEED HIM.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

Option 2 has Neku, so that one.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman

Okabe's final smash starts the match over from the beginning

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Pass 2 is literally the best timeline as long as Trouble shooting star comes with kiryu.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'll throw in one more example that's obvious.
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney.
Yup. Pretty much the only series that wouldn't be obvious would be ones that already have their main, most popular, or newest game representation already in the game..so the only series that really come to mind as ones that wouldn't be easy guesses are Zelda, Mario, Pokémon, Sonic, Mega Man, and Fire Emblem off the top of my head.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yup. Pretty much the only series that wouldn't be obvious would be ones that already have their main, most popular, or newest game representation already in the game..so the only series that really come to mind as ones that wouldn't be easy guesses are Zelda, Mario, Pokémon, Sonic, Mega Man, and Fire Emblem off the top of my head.
There also Final fantasy due to how many protagonists there are and the logo in smash being generic enough that they can easily get away with something like that.

But lol no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom